So with Super Mario Odyssey coming at the end of the month...

So with Super Mario Odyssey coming at the end of the month, I kinda wanna make a Mario thread and just talk about the series in general. Has anyone played the best buy demo and compared it with 64 and Sunshine? If so then how do the movement and mechanics feel? Are they somewhat less accurate and does that impact the gameplay? I'm basically hoping for an evolution of 64 in terms of gameplay and acrobatics, however looking at the game it looks more like a sandbox 3D World rather than something as fluid as 64, although I hope I'm wrong.

Other urls found in this thread:

hooktube.com/aVyzyjiR9s4
archive.is/YKT6g
youtube.com/watch?v=23dk8QRSzrk
twitter.com/AnonBabble

We're adults user

Yes, and?

This is why companies started with their "closed beta" shit, people should demand demos of finished or near finished games instead of just accepting games that had the same bugs in the beta or alpha

would be nice

Played the E3 demo, which I'm pretty sure is the same one at Best Buy
Legitimately the best controls Mario's ever had. There's more movement freedom than in 64 combined with momentum that impacts how fast Mario goes when going down hills/being launched out of something fast. The only strange inclusion is making the dive limited to ZL and Y midair, but I guess it just felt uncomfortable because I wasn't familiar with it

I hope he keeps the hat throw in future 3D titles, even if it becomes gimped or doesn't have the same functionality Cappy has. Giving Mario a ranged option that also helps with platforming is something Nintendo should've done ages ago

I'll only buy it if there are 10+ kingdoms, I heard there were 14 kingdoms total, and I hope that's true. That's good enough if the game looks as empty as it is

Why is Mario the only 3D platformer series that didn't die?

How hard is the game compared to the others?

No game overs, so it's probably easy. With that said, recent Mario games don't really implement lives so much since you get 50 of them in stage 2.

Because he's pretty much the face of video games and even casuals would notice and say it's stupid if Mario became an edgy shooter like every other platformer was doing in the mid-2000s.. Well either they became a shooter, or they just got whored out by Activision releasing alpha prototypes of rushed sequels by new devs until the franchise died. Mario was the only thing big enough to not succumb to that.

Good for you, eh Mark?

no bully

Apparently amiibos will also unlock costumes for Mario, Mario Wario confirmed?

I'm less interested into the physics and movement and more curious over the variety of moves we can use.

This is what gets most of my attention, and I'm more than okay with this.

There really isn't a point for game overs in Mario. I mean you can have like 300 lives and it still doesn't make a difference because you still return to the checkpoint. It would be nice if lives instead could be traded for knick knacks and secrets like what they're doing with coins in Odyssey.

Is it me or does Mario normal jump physics look strange in Odyssey? Like it's more based on how 3D World did the jumping then 64/Sunshine. I haven't played so I'm only basing on what it looks like in the videos.

The lives system was always flawed. Good players know where to find the extra lives and end up with a shit ton of them. They're good at the game so they don't die as much.

Bad players can't find all the hidden extra lives, so they end up with hardly any lives. And they die all the time.

Lives being gone is a good thing. I really liked it in Woolly World once I got to all the secret stages. I felt like I could keep trying different things to beat the levels and not feel so stressed. Meanwhile, I still haven't beaten Champion's Road in 3D World.

I'm really glad to hear that. He looks more zippier than any game he's been in. From what I've seen they borrowed his weightiness from Mario 3D World, and combined with the control malleability of 64.

MULTI MOONS!!!

I don't even own a Switch, just gonna wait for that emulator.

hooktube.com/aVyzyjiR9s4
New Mario info!!!

What if you could do this repeatedly and just keep traversing forward through the air like pulling back the cape in Super Mario World? I don't think they'd permit that, but it would be fucking amazing.

I'm not going to go all the way to best buy just to play a demo.

Recent new geographical details give us at least 10 kingdoms possibly 12 kingdoms, can there be more though?

You can only bounce off of the cap once, based on what we've seen.

No shit comrade, we got good because it was the only way to progress.

Mario's a weird sort of game that seemed to benefit a lot from having cartridge memory limitations. As soon as the series started letting your lives carry over from session to session instead of resetting you at 3 every time you played again, they've gotten a reputation for getting "easier." It's hardly true though. I haven't played since Galaxy, but, that game had some really difficult parts.

I think the hat gimmick adding this idea of there being an omnipresent platform for you to use on the fly is really cool, but, it remains to be seen whether the design will incorporate it well or if it'll just be a crutch for people who can't make harder jumps without it. I think anyone expecting 64/Sunshine levels of gameplay freedom is kidding themselves, though. So much of the levels shown seems like empty background scenery.

the addition of Kirby mode seems like a weird thing where you'll just have to figure out who to clone to get past a single obstacle then either hardly use it or go to some section that's designed completely around that gimmick (which might be cool). Galaxy had similar problems with the new powerups, but the game was still great.

no UR mr gay

One down, two to go. I only buy a Nintendo console when it has a new main series Mario, Zelda and Metroid.

Finally, a legitimate reason to use filter by ID.

refresh the page, the mods deleted all the spambot's work

??????

Manley Adventures. You can also finally see Mario's teeth at around 00;28

You mean two down, right?
BotW IS the Switch Zelda.
And you're only getting Prime on a console.

I remember watching the e3 gameplay demos for odyssey and the levels looked kind of…empty. They weren't as tightly woven and packed full of content and new ways to get around the level like mario 64 did. I think it will be 'meh'. It won't be bad, but it won't be remembered just like breath of the wild

It seems to be more of the same shit.

All the levels need are hidden goodies scattered and a bit more fluff and color added in certain more important segments is all. I could definitely want hidden phantom enemies that carry certain important collectibles in the night stages of tostarena for example, fix what wasn't fixed in BOTW. Squeeze every drop of blood out of thing and pack it the fuck to the brim with content.
Moons are nice, but I don't want them to be only 1 of 3 things you collect, I'd love for you to collect tiny powerups that slightly increase your speed, or stamps, or even fragments that unlock bonus stages in some star kingdom or something.

*this

Not only that, but have you look in every nook and cranny for them, and encourage you to keep looking and give you sign of treasure. For example, if Mario moves a rock a single generic coin will come out, signaling him that he close to some sort of treasure, engage that inner explorer the player has and don't make the mistakes BOTW did with repeated quests (Shrines, Shrines, Shrines)

I really like this artstyle they have been doing with the recent games, reminds me of the old artstyle.
Wish they would do it more

I want to fuck Toadette

yeah

You wouldn't fuck a fungus user.

ha ha! a bold claim friend!

What do you think Toadette's farts smell like after eating Yoshi's eggs?
Ha ha.

But I beat it on my WiiU, you sweet summer child.

Best game on the system but the wii u was a disaster. Looked promising as its second year was dawning, then they cancelled everything 2 years later so everyone who got one excited for more games after splatoon had nothing to play and they were left with an expensive and ugly paperweight.

Switch has to prove its not going to do the same thing in 2 years.

I'm really hoping this holds up to the movement things like fludd gave in Sunshine.
They're pretty simple tools but I'm hoping.

the system itself was a failure but I don't regret buying it. Had good times with W101, Tropical Freeze & Bayonetta 2

the only thing bad about super mario odyssesy is that it has an easy mode

Seriously? That's like the Happy Meal, Big Mac and that product no one gave a shit.

Game Theory: Is Mario of african-american descent?

I wish we would get a new 2D Mario using this style

Hopefully Nintendo censors this game

He's just upset that Mario can't inflate people instead.

He probably loves the new Rayman games.

Just have an option to have the enemies squeak out a small "Yes" as they get capped.

Potential for unintentional lewds in game that freak out Nintendo?

I'm not convinced the incredible inflating movieblob plays anything other than nintendo games

That's because if you haven't noticed already, it's the same artist from before. Nintendo rehired him back.

he must of loved the nsmb titles

Why did they fire him?

Because they are ineffective dumbasses who sometimes can't do shit right.

主なアクション
Important actions
ジャンプアクション
Jump actions
バック宙
Backspace (could also possibly be "back air")
通常よりも高くジャンプ
Commonly compared with the high jump
走り幅跳び
Running long jump
通常よりも遠くへジャンプ
Commonly compared with the far jump
ヒップドロップ
Hip drop
真下に向かって攻撃
Strike directly below
ボディアタック
ジャンプ中に前方にダイブ
Dive while midair
帽子アクション
Hat actions
帽子投げ
Hat throw
向いてる方向に帽子を投げる
Throw your hat towards the direction you're facing
帽子投げホールド
Hat throw hold
投げた帽子をその場にとどめる
Stop your already thrown hat on the spot
帽子投げホーミング
Homing hat throw
帽子を敵の方向に曲げる
Your hat curves towards foes
回転投げ
Spinning throw
マリオの周りに帽子を回転させる
Spin the hat around Mario's circumference (presumably you can do this to damage enemies and make the hat gain momentum before you throw it)

Translation of this image because why the fuck not and it helps me practice the Nipponese.

Perhaps I should take back what I said, since I'm actually not sure over whatever happened to him during the time between SMB3 and SM3DL, if Nintendo fired him or not. None of my researches enlighten anything about that.

I know though that he also was an illustrator for Super Princess Peach and the Mario vs. Donkey Kong games.

*games journalists mode

Heaven. Toadette's farts are love.

Whoever thought that bringing 2 items per character on MK8 DX was a good idea? Now it's like Mario Kart Wii but worse.

Wasn't the artist known for designing the pidgit from SMB2?

I'm hoping they reuse the switching hats and characters idea from Super Mario 64DS.

give up kiddo

Looks like a real spectacle. Also Pauline at the end..

No thanks.

It looks kind of like 3D world, but with the fluidity and speed of Galaxy/Sunshine.

Mack Daddy Mario?

Why does Mario sound so off? Sunshine at least made him sound more alive.

dude take your meds

You're retarded if you don't think this is nothing but the open world shit that is plaguing nintendo's games.

ah so I assume you played the game aswell?

user Sunshine came out years ago and his voice actor is already in his 60s.

I miss being able to play that game

The Mario Bros remake was originally for the Super Mario Advance series and somehow ended up in M&L as well and we don't know if that was Nintendo or Alphadreams descesion to do that. It is frustrating that MB isn't more popular or that the better MB Advance version could have gotten remade like a download title for 3DS/WiiU with online.
If NES Switch games really get online play, Mario Bros NES could finally have online multiplayer.

Apparently there isn't actually any content locked behind Amiibo in this game?
archive.is/YKT6g
I don't even fucking know anymore, after they fucking lied about the UFO ability in Kirby Planet Robobot I've given up trying to understand Amiibo.

Saved

I mean, how come they direct him greatly on the spinoffs but half-assed on the mainline games?

I mean, how come they direct him greatly on the spinoffs but half-assed on the mainline games?
GOD FUCKING HORSESHIT THE POST GETS STUCK AT 100%

If this is true, it's good. Physical locked DLC is cancer.

Yeah Mario's voice direction has changed over the years. I much prefer the Gamecube era Mario voice.

gud job

Go into your options and wipe your settings. That fixed it for me, but it could just be placebo. I think it gets stuck trying to add the post to your own_posts array, because the fucks who made this place just have your local storage balloon infinitely instead of doing something sane like storing only your last couple hundred posts or something simple like that.

Pretty sure the browser would freeze if that operation was taking long.

I think it has to do with people's complaints at Mario sounding too loud or too cringe in the older titles, and Nintendo must have listened theses complaints, so Charles was told to have a different voice direction in the newer games.

IMO, I don't remember Mario's voice if has ever sounded bad in any instance, but I admit that Mario has sounded the best in Double Dash and Sunshine, but it could be nostalgia, since in MK8, Mario sounds great too.
youtube.com/watch?v=23dk8QRSzrk

He probably beats off to Super Mario World

SM3dWorld had one awful voice acting, specially with the cat powerup.

There's a good reason why the P-Balloon is the least used idea in the Mario franchise.

I remember when someone extracted all of Mario's voice clips from Mario's FUNdamentals, but it's now long gone.

Around 9:04, You can see the current filters you can use to edit your screenshots.

The middle one reminds me the meeting between F.L.U.D.D. and Mario, when F.L.U.D.D was scanning Mario, on a unrelated note.

That's unfortunate

Watching that Checkers match was harder than watching me play Oil Ocean that one time.

I'm surprised the mario fanbase isn't as batshit spergy as sonic's.

That's because all or at least almost all the mainline Mario games have the same workable gameplay formula they have been using since SMB and SM64. Theses games don't really have difference when it comes to playing and experience them, making its fanbase stay in one way, have a greater and solid consensus general and be less divergent, thanks to its creators who are still around and still know what made Mario good in the first place, contrary to Sonic and everything about him.

Also helps that Shiggy Diggy never sexualized Mario characters. There's nothing wrong with doing it, but when you take an anamorphic hedgehog and mix it with tits the bat, then you're gonna raise the boners of autistic teenagers.

What was it? Twelve fucking times?

I have one little nitpick and I know it's not a fair comparison, but the realistic style of the residents clash with Mario's art style the same way the residents did with Sonic's in Sonic '06

Someone already dumped the Mario tennis models from the Wii U on Source, what's the point then?

That's because most the characters are humans, Mario is weak as shit and ugly if you think about it:

Is this designed to turn people into a furry? It's like you look at those tits and hips and get a boner, and then you see a fucked up hedgehog face. But then you think that it's cool because you would fuck a girl with an ugly face but hot body. I'd hit it and I'm not a furry.

btw something about mario tbh fam

Why is Mario dressed like a polivoz?

So if the bat face was gone, would you do?

Hedgehog face isn't fucked up, it's like Minnie Mouse or something. It's not repulsive in the slightest.

ROUGE IS A CHIHUAHUA

Who cares about filters, that shit is pretty cool, the fucking boss is just sitting there in the sand and when you go to fight him he's stuck in the roof, the ice in the desert melts after you beat him, I want to see what other levels have, I want to see what other levels there are.

8ch hates Nintendo worse than any other company, what were you thinking.

It's pretty strange, I get where they are going but then having Pauline as a character who also looks off is additionally strange, Mario already has an established visual style and other characters that follow this style who are human already exist.

Anyone who thinks getting rid of lives is a good thing is retarded. The solution to modern Mario games giving out too many 1-ups is to have them give out less, not to get rid of their functionality entirely. The player should be given a carefully meted out amount of lives, and a penalty in the form of a reasonable amount of progress forfeited (multiple segments' worth, not just "hurr u lost ur checkpoint") should be applied for losing them all at any given point. Anybody who thinks otherwise is a worthless casual who wants to take all of the tension and gravity out of the possibility of dying, thus destroying the enjoyment and excitement of the game. When you can't properly lose, a game becomes nothing more than a checklist of "achievements" that you will invariably complete, a boring slog without consequence. A certain victory is no fun. I thought that this would be more clear to the "hardcore gamers" of 8/v/…

Game Overs don't really do anything when the game saves after every Moon, and when you die you go to a checkpoint which can be warped between, there just isn't a point in game overs anymore, or lives, penalizing the player by taking away from a resource that has multiple other uses is a far better system.

Dark Souls and Shovel Knight both do this and death is far more punishing because of it.

Reread my post you stupid faggot. You lose all of your lives, and you lose progress. That's how it should be. The game can roll back what it's already saved.

I want to fuck that.

Well no that's not how it should be, because Odyssey isn't the same as other Mario Games, the prime collectables are many so losing Moons is a fucking retarded decision.

How many worlds does the game have?

How large are they compared to say SM64?

Is there a hub world?

New Donk city looks shit. I don't like full fantasy games that try and blend elements of real life too much (Toads turnpike in mario kart is similarly not good because of it).

Unknown, 11 confirmed, 14 - 16 possible levels shown

Bigger than 64, but level sizes aren't standard, some levels are really big like Tostarena Town, and some are comparatively small like New Donk, but every level has multiple states, multiple sub levels and multiple playable spaces.

No hub world, there is no need for a hubworld.

Each world is designed to feel alien, it's part of the games theme, if you don't like New Donk there are maybe 15 other worlds you can enjoy instead.

I want to fuck Rosalina.

Those were usurped by miis, though.

No they weren't, they served different purposes.

How do you explain their disappearance on Mario Golf for the 3ds?

Too bad you aren't good enough for her, you fucking piece of shit.

What? I mean the humans were added to those who were unaware of the Mario franchise, right?

You don't make any sense, the humans were added by Camelot but later phased out in favour of Mario characters, the Mii exist in Mario sports because they are the system avatar.

Degenerate. Toadette is for hugging, headpatting, and holding hands.

This is 100% bullshit, I've gotten every star in Galaxy and the whole game is easy as piss. Galaxy 2 only gets easier.

I played at Target. Mario's movement feels twitchy, like he turns too fast. I think it might be the tiny analog sticks on the switch, it could feel better on the full size ones the Pro controller has. Otherwise good.

Meanwhile, Mario & Luigi SuperStar Sage remake it's an obvious cashgrab that butchered the original's artstyle.

I see you haven't tried to capture the Star coins.

So, like SM64 as opposed to "muh realistic turning mechanics" described in the SM64 3DS remake by an user in the last thread?

Rosalina is the only truly sexy character in the entire Mario franchise

Actually you lose coins when you die. And you use coins at the very least to buy outfits, so dying equals loss of currency, Like Dark Souls.

You mean Wario World? Borrowing ideas from games that sold like shit, I see.

I'm sure you do.

Holla Forums isn't a hivemind.

YHVH bless whoever made those first and last pictures.

Doesn't change that people are hardest on Nintendo because they aren't used to Nintendo being a disappointment.

Not everyone hates them but they are easily the most hated.

I don't really get why people get sad over this.

I was reading here lots of shit thrown at Iwata like a week before he died, then he passes away and suddenly becomes Saint Iwata, what hypocrisy

Respect the dead, man.

Yeah, Karl Marx deserves your respect.

False equivalence. One was a successful business man, the other was some fat pretentious kike faggot with too much time in his hands.

Marx does deserve our respect, he created a movement that groups in societies worst allowing us to discredit and avoid them collectively instead of as individuals.

That's my point. Don't respect the dead just because they're dead.

I've never been able to force myself to play more than two levels of this awful, awful game. I traded the cartridge as a kid for a shitty beavis and butthead video and I felt I got the better end of that deal at the time.

Does this ever get good?

That needn't be said.

I used to give it a go once a year or so and played until world 3 or 4 and quit out of boredom, one day i decided to finish the game and it felt like a chore, i didn't even feel like unblocking anything post game if there ever was, at that point i just wanted to reach the end so that i would never touch it again, the final boss was great though

user that's not CRT Royale, this is. On level 2 now, and this still feels like just as much of a slog as it did 20 years ago.

Nostalgia mostly, if Miyamoto passes away we could finally see creative Mario game for the first on 20 years and most Mario character voices are not that hard to impersonate.

Have any of you saved the gif. of Wario rubbing his ass on Iwata's face?

It's not nostalgia, it doesn't work on me at all, I don't care that these people died because all of them did a good job with their life

Fuck off retard.

Personally I absolutely love it, but while it's unique for a Mario game with the egg throwing, I'm not sure it's aged well. Most of the levels aren't as experimental like SMB3 and are more just solidly made around a formula. That said, some of the last few stages, especially the optional ones, are dastardly hard and I love them for that.

You say this as if teenagers won't get their rocks off to anything. Even things not inherently sexual can get someone that young a boner. Sexualizing or not sexualizing (X) character means nothing in the end.

I thought that was Microsoft and the Xbone? Or are there actually fucking retards who like the Xbone now? If we're talking just publishers milking retards, I've got to say EA, Activision, Ubisoft, and the like are still worse. Nintendo's more fucking retarded than anything. I guess the major difference is that Nintendo still has fans on here while the last game published by EA people around here liked was Titanfall 2, and EA tried to fuck that over anyway.

Ignoring:
When Shiggy dies, you'll cry like a bitch about it on your tumblr blog even though he just borrowed talent and credit from every single creative person on his team. Enjoy your Pay2Play console, nintendrone.

Iwata making some retarded business decisions doesn't change the fact that he was a great programmer overall.

L O L

Holla Forums BTFO

>Scanning "Wedding Bowser" is the fast way to unlock ???????????????????????????

The remake doesn't surpass the original, but neither do I think it's a bad obvious cashgrab. I would recommend to play the remake ONLY after the original game.
While it did remove the original artstyle it had before (even when I never cared it in the first place) and some of the remixed music sounds bad, I like how the ambients and the locals were overhauled with details, lightings and special effects which gives a better experience and atmosphere, and some other music at least sounds good or not bad.

But a real bummer overall is that it doesn't support 3D for no reason. I mean, what's the point on lauching it to 3DS, not Switch?

This is (apparently) taken from a new issue of "EDGE Magazine" in Bongistan.

Edge is cancer.

Who drew a penis on Cascade Kingdom? How will they fit 15 moons on such a tiny kingdom?

All Kangdoms

Also the mushroom kingdom and the game hints at "new place(s)" if you collect lots of moons.

Dont forget about the mario washing machine secret from mario bros 1.

Any sign she is in this game or did Nintendo listen to the autistic screeching of daisy fans?

Nintendo partially listened, she only has a brief 8bit cameo at the very end of this game's Champion Road

AKA the part most people buying this game will never reach

I'd love to see this, but they'd probably do something retarded like give Mario a gun or something.