Mages, wizards and witches

So, guys, i heard you like magic! How about we discuss what games have best magic in the video game industry?
What's your favorite game to play as a mage?

Okay, let me list what i consider corner stones of mage play:

Dragon's Dogma - best magical effects and animations, some ebin ass gigantic spells like whirlwinds and thunderstorms available on the tip of your finger

Morrowind - best game for stat based broken mages with no fucks given about game's balance when you get to magic creation

Two Worlds II - bad game with pretty interesting broken magic combination system, something in between first two i mentioned

Witcher - Oh boy, that's a game all about potions and spells that actually seriously affect how your combat will progress. Despite low amount of spells, the game is extremely balanced in favor of you learning how to use them in battle.

Dark Souls - just wanted to mention that most mage builds are fucking OP in this game.

Divinity OS 1 and 2 - if you never played this game, you never experience amazing elemental magic physics, that affects your surrounding and follows all rules of logic

Skyrim - piece of shit vanilla, but has loads of mods that add amazing magical spells that make you into indestructible spamming demigod of doom. Also few spell research, spell creation and spell learning mods add immersion by making you learn and craft spells by your own. Probably the best game for necromancy, since it has a lot of supportive mods for it.

Old D&D games like Baldurs Gate 2.

It is SOOO satisfying to cast Time Stop + Power Word: Kill + Meteor Shower + Dragons Breath

Watch out, some of the mods get butthurt when you make fun of Judaism lite and will ban you. It happened to me a few times already.

It's somewhat irritating that there's so few games that focus on being a proper wizard, with spell creation and utility magic you use to navigate the environment or manipulated objects, We're usually lucky if we get a "gravity gun" spell.

The only good thing about IE games was the mage vs. mage duels. I don't think there's any other games out there that put so much emphasis on slowly stripping away an enemy's layers of protection until you can deliver the killing blow. Also, PST with all the batshit insane spells you can get and use.

Oblivion's magic system allows for some creativity of its own, while not being as broken as what's in Morrowind or Daggerfall. Mods add their own fancy stuff too. I also enjoy some of the effects Charlotte has in Portrait of Ruin, mostly the black hole spell for nullifying most projectiles, and the time stop for Dio shenanigans. One day I should play Arx Fatalis and see how its rune stuff works, games with interesting magic systems are pretty rare.

Oh piss off already you bunch of tossers.

You draw the run on the screen and the spell gets cast. Nothing really that groundbreaking. That being said Arx Fatalis has one of the comfiest (and I do not use this world lightly) cooking systems in gaming. Nothing is as satisfying as putting your dough next to a fire and watching it get cooked.

Dominions and Conquest of Elysium

How would one make a magic/wizard game? To you, what would be the perfect depiction of wizardry? I like the idea of having to learn spells, maybe travel along the world and delve into ancient ruins and tombs to find lost runes, scripture to recite spells. Dragon's Dogma is probably the best so far, spells take a while to cast, they look incredible and feel incredible. But you do just level up and earn the spells, I imagine wizards having to dedicate decades to studying to be able to cast the very fabric of existence.

magicka's pretty cool, especially if you have any wizard friends to play with.

What ever happened to that Grimoire game?
Any good?

Little Witch Romanesque. You're a wizard and it's your job to train a pair of lolis into proper witches over 3 years, and it's full of lewds and other waifus besides the main 2 girls. Main gameplay besides VN, revolves around raising stats so you can effectively cast spells, which is done by getting certain combinations of dice. You have to keep doing the right combo of spells to try to get a higher scores or the girls fail their tests and you get a game over.

a create your own magic style system, for example, combining fire effects with wind to do a fire tornado. Also, being a complete dick with industrial espionage style theft and robbery of other magic users in order to get shortcuts or steal their specific type of magic
End goal of the game is creating your own fortress or dungeon to safeguard your hard earned knowledge while you try to transcend life itself through a variety of means

Come for the child molestation, stay for the addicting dice game.

Master of Magic, of course. Great fantasy TBS. Launched a subgenre and still stands at the top of it.

Lichdom Battlemage

If only.

Thea: The awakening.

Mage Knights > Dress wearing wizards

This so fucking much. What other game can you cast a spell that gives you vision of the entire strategy map at once, and then get mad when someone else casts a fire spell that incinerates the eyes of the mage who cast it, breaking the spell and leaving him blind forever? What other game do you summon wight kings to do your darkest deeds, equip them with swords that cause leprosy and instant aging, and send them to kill enemy mages while they sit around researching in their tower?

Seriously? That game was only slightly deeper than Skyrim. And the levels were fucking hallways filled with skeletons.

One of the most disapointing things in The Elder Scrolls franchise is how magic never makes use of any implement like Orbs, Grimoires, Staves, Wands, Rods, etc. Staves are essentially port-a-spell guns and their interaction with your own skill is fairly ridiculous (you get more charges out of something that doesn't train your skills, wew)
Considering how both melee and stealth has gear progression to increase their power, it would make sense that magic would see the same with Iron, Steel, Silver, Orcish, Elven and Daedric implements dictating the actual magnitude of your spells or at least acting as a multiplier, or at the very least reducing the mana used for each school depending on the implement.

This is the very basic start, equipment. A wizard can cast spells with just his hands but using the right implement can bring many advantages besides what it actually is.
Wands are excelent for projectile spells, they channel those easily, reducing the mana required and improving your aim. They can also unleash a small blast of mana for a very simple projectile.
Staves are excelent fall back weapons with good defensive capabilities but they also channel area effects very easily.
Grimories are held with your offhand and their magic presence lets you cast bigger spells in a shorter amount of time while also doubling as your spellbook.
Orbs are mana batteries that can spend from that first before draining you and excel at boosting spells that surround you, especially defensive ones.
Rods are mana batteries too but inferior to orbs, they can however be made from different materials so they are attuned to a specific type of creatures and summoning them is much easier. They are also a mace.

You have your equipment, next is your spellbook. Sadly most games don't even bother with this, only exception I can think of is Dungeon Siege 2.
Each magic word, rune, symbol and every spell takes space and it can either be memorized by you up to a limit set by your own mind or it can be written in a spellbook as many times as you want.
A proper wizard will memorize several offensive spells, a few tactical and utility ones and save space for a few runes in case he has to improvise and make a few changes on the fly.
But longer rituals or more specialized runes\spells will be written in spellbooks he keeps in his bag for when the situation demanding.
So for instance, a battlemage arrives at a castle where every door is locked with a different ward, he won't remenber every different combination to beat it since his mind is filled with different formulas for fireballs with different colors, but he has 3 spellbooks detailing lock and unlock spells and another with a few rituals to teleport back home.

Finnaly, you have the spell making itself. Spells are a sentence written in a language using runes or words, depending on what language is chosen. The combination matters a lot and so does the language (write in elvish and you get a mana discount, write in dwarvish and you get a bigger bang).
There are several symbols\runes for the same meaning but some express it better and thus are more powerfull, however you need an high intelect to understand what they actually mean.
Wizards can begin their career by joining a guild or a school where they are given access to basic spellbooks full of runes and explanations as to what they mean, after which they can write their own spells and enlarge their arsenal. However the more powerfull words are locked and kept secret by powerfull mages and you have to earn it from them. Or you can delve into abandoned dungeons and find tomes where those words show up, then you can spend a lot of time meditating on them and learn their meaning so you can finnaly use them.

So the player has progression in equipment, getting implements that better channel his spell but also in knowledge has he expands his collection of runes and spells, all requiring interacting with the world or exploring it.

I suppose sorcerers just begin by expelling fire from their hands, the amount expelled increasing the more they do it until they finnaly explode and an elemental takes their place, or something.

It had a neat system with Mastery, being damage you can stack on someone but is only inflicted if you trigger it with something else.
Plus lots of different magical effects later on and summoning was quite nice.
It's a limited form of magic but you're a Battlemage anyway, that's all you're gonna cast on it.

Those were the earlier levels. Later on you get more variety with human enemies, gargoyles, zombies, dragons, demons, etc.
It's a fun game, just not very deep.

Nah, nigga, nah. I come from a D&D background and we don't play that shit.
Tell me what sounds more powerful to you: Shooting fire out of your hands, OR, putting everyone to sleep so you can slit their throats at your leisure.
"Muh elemental energies" is boring and uninspired shit.

That sounds cooler to come up with and execute, but doesn't translate as well to a videogame.
You'd just chant for a few seconds and then kill defenseless enemies in one hit.
Battlemage isn't about clever thinking, it's about flashy shit all the time, even for the more technical spells. It's cool, that's it's thing and I doubt it would do actual clever thinking very well.

What game allows me to play as a fantasy version of a magical archeologist? A character that uses magic and researches ancient ruins in search of new spells and ancient mysteries about magitek civilizations and stuff.

If you mean action game, sure, but otherwise Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale and Neverwinter Nights would like to have a word with you.

been a while since i enjoyed a rec
thanks

Dragon's dogma is hit or miss with the magic classes, mage is not a fun support class and magick archer doesn't feel anything like spellcasting, it's just a flashy bow. Sorcerer's ring-boosted spells like the great Bolide and Gicel never get old. Feels exactly how a max level wizard should be.

Mystic knight's vast support options with movesets/augments shared from other classes make it a lot more engaging than sorcerer and by far the most fun melee and support class.

Morrowind, especially guild of mages quest.

It could be solved if it had system similar to arx fatalis to cast spells. In fact try arx fatalis instead.

Skyrim. That's literally what you do the whole game. :^)
Add to it Legacy of the Dragonborn mod and you will get archeology part too.

Every wizard thread I mention modded Minecraft as the best wizard sim.
Every thread someone laughs because >minecraft
Nobody has ever proven me wrong.

Maybe you should point to the post where you prove your statement right?
Or does you just stating minecraft automaticly mean its true you mongoloid?

At least show some videos to people.

Do you expect me to link to posts that have long since been deleted? Do you not know how this site works? I am assuming that the people in this thread have been around for a while and read previous threads I may have posted in. I have never seen anyone else make this argument, and whenever I post I only get people who either agree with me or completely dismiss my opinion just because I mentioned one of Holla Forums's favorite games to hate.
You can build your own fucking wizard tower however you like, full of teleporters, illusory walls, gateways to other realms, labs, testing facilities, treasure rooms, monster pens, you fucking name it and its there. You can have several times more utility spells than you do combat spells, as well as many spells to avoid combat all-together like a proper wizard should. You can go out and search ruins for spells and artifacts, collect materials for crafting, researching, and spell-making, spend several days or even weeks cooped up in the wizard tower you built yourself, with assistance from spells you made yourself, researching, testing, and creating all sorts of new spells and magical devices. You can create entire worlds fine tuned for whatever purpose you desire or explore strange new worlds to unlock their mysteries. Rather than take my word for it, why not just try it and decide for yourself? There are tons of mod packs out there for lazy shits to get into magic mods, or you could mod it yourself if you cared to.

Okay, you win, happy now?

No. I won't be happy until someone posts a better wizard sim so I can stop playing this shit.

Morrowing construction set. You make your own spells. You can even play it in MP with outher people who will also use your spells, or you can be a god who fucks with everybody.

My point was that nobody ITT can prove you wrong since you didnt have any arguments to back up your "i'm right" claim in the first place.
That has nothing to do site knowledge you autismo.

That isn't part of the game unless you believe in CHIM though, just a tool for creating game content, and not a very wizardly one at that.

What's the best magic mod? Ars Magica?

Mother

Fucking

Thaumcraft.

You literally get better research if you build a kickass wizard tower full of books.

But does it have spell crafting like Ars Magica or is it premade spells?

What games have the best fist spell?

I can't say any one mod is the best as it all depends on how you want to wizard shit up, but thaumcraft i think is better since it has more and wider variety of content available with several large expansions and a lot of compatibility support. For spell crafting there are a few other mods out there, such as blood magic and psi, but they all do different things in different ways so it is better to use them all with eachother.

It's magical gear constructed from elements you rip out of, boil out of, or magically extract from the world. You discover them from an in-depth research minigame that's effected by how you build your laboratory. Shit like golems, forcefields, speed-walking pathways, magical weapons and tools, etc. I don't think there's SPELLS, per se, but it's literally the most WIZARD shit I've ever played. Last time I dove in a while back I had a tower you could only access by levitating up an empty shaft, which was studded with magical crystals and had a treasury attended to by tiny sorting golems.

Oh, and if you're not careful with how you do things, you can accidentally poison the world around you and turn it into a death world.

Seems interesting, I'll take a look at it.
Last time I played memecraft I used Ars Magica along with Mystcraft and several other mods and it was pretty fun.

I had a normal wizard tower in the "prime material" which was more of a central hub connecting several planes. I used this as a base from which I explored new random dimensions. In several of these (the more habitable at least) I built different structures for different reasons. On a specially creepy dimension I had a magic prison, on a tundra world I had a wizard tower that was invisible from the outside and was marked by several monoliths around it, on a floating islands plane i had a wyvern (from mo'creatures) breeding and training grounds, etc etc.
There are several ways to be creative with spells also. For skeletons and other shooty things you can combine Disarm with Blind and Hold, for example, and for especially annoying enemies or players you can cast teleport on them so that they teleport directly inside a prison cell or maybe in the middle of the ocean. You can also make a gateway system to travel great distances quickly and it evens works between dimensions (though it tends to crash the game when used like that).

Thats no a witch, thats babushka!
Please, no, I already ate.

Fucking sweet. Mystcraft is pretty legit, though I could never get into it myself. If you can get it to be compatable, I also suggest Tinker's Construct, which speeds along mining nicely and also allows for making better tools, while being a relatively low-impact 'tech' mod.

Actual lore wise called Baba Yaga.

Mystcraft is even better with a biomes mod since it can spawn those new biomes too. Something like Biomes O Plenty will guarantee some pretty interesting dimensions. You can also turn off the instability feature of mystcraft if that annoys you. Also Recurrent Complex.
Recurrent Complex is kinda hard to get into but you can for example make or download schematics and then "scan" them with recurrent complex in-game, even add random loot to them from a table you create, and have these spawn randomly in whatever dimensions you want.
So now you have bizarre dimensions with ancient ruins in them filled with sweet loot.

forgot to say you can combine teleport with "drown" or whatever it's called to make sure they don't float and reach land. that's a fun way to dispose of something, though it obviously doesn't work for everything

Make an airship, park your wyvern/pegasus mount on it, and use the ship to explore space and other dimensions like in Spelljammer

Why go through the trouble honestly?

Two Worlds Magic system had so much potential in my mind at first, until you discover that all the cool and interesting spell combinations you could make (Anvil Rain/Tornado, Bungee Rock Crusher Sphere, etc) were completely useless, and that you could just go invis and spawn 800 scorpions on everything

If they had fixed the mechanics so that things like an anvil tornado could actually clobber shit…. So disappointing when I got it working and all it did was gently brush into enemies.

Also some of you niggers might like Code Spells, I had some fun with it back in the day

Why review video games if you're fucking shit at playing video games?

what if magic is a cryptic metaphorical language used to share technological inventions within and between secret societies pursuant of truth and power?

There are spells in Thaumcraft but not in the conventional sense.
You have rods\staves\wands that hold Vis (the mod's energy source for spells) and you have Focus, gems that go in front of the implement and decide what "spell" you cast.
There's throwing flames, bouncing ice, thunder but also digging, spawning lights, spawning a HOLE through ANYTHING that you can traverse, there's summoning hellbats and a really funny grappling hook too.
The mod has a nifty HUD and hotkeys to quickly swap between focus as long as you place them all inside a pouch and carry it with you.

Actually, that's not only a very clever part of the mod putting a form of dire upkeep in your meddling, it's also intended for PvP.
You can make a bottle of Taint and spam it near your oponent's base to fuck his biome, but you can also plant specific flowers and trees to counter the Taint as well as potions\machines to cure it.
Best part is, you can actually live in the Taint. It's harder due to all the mobs and no farming\animals\villagers, but it's rewarding and lets you do a lot of other things.

A lot of magic mods have a PvP component to them that's barely explored. Ars Magicka in particular has players capable of blocking teleportation into their base except through portals with a combination that other players could see and compromise.
Witchcraft is a pretty neat mod about being a witch, making spells and rituals, contacting with otherworldly and lots of voodoo magic. Most of the content affects other players negatively to the point there's also a Witchhunter's armor and crossbow giving you some protection so you can go hunt witches.

I'd really like to see a server where Thaumaturges duke it out in thaumaturgical warfare while Mages fight each other off in the fields and every nation has it's resident witches that they use like assassins against important players, as well as witchhunters to counter the other nation's witches.

I think you missed the joke.

FUCKING ACE

I bought that for my nephew on a lark.

Now he's commuting four hours a day to learn actual programming.

I always thought that a real wizard focused game should be a bit of a puzzle game. You're given an enemy warlok or magical beast and you have to do research on how they fight and what they are weak to because if you just walk in there and start throwing fireballs then you will get raped. Duels should be about trying to counter your opponent's defenses and plans while setting the groundwork for your own down the line.

It would have to have a lot of elements from strategy/simulation games I imagine. Maybe you start with a simple, non-descript house in the forest, and you gradually build up your estate until you can establish a magocratic republic, a wizard kingdom, or your very own black fortress. Non-combat situations would have to be made in such a way that they're fun as well, because that's what you'd be doing most of the time.

Guild Wars 1 still has the best selection of spells and the best assortment of mage classes and builds.

here

I wish witches were this creepy. Some stories do a really good job with them.