Fuck team based games

Fuck team based games.
What's a fun 1 vs. 1 game that isn't a fighting game but it still takes skill. inb4 dark souls cause I already played that to death.
Do games exist that are like lost planet but have a 1v1 mode?

Other urls found in this thread:

steamcharts.com/app/225600
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Lethal League your style of game?
fuckin love sword of the stranger

nah

Armored Core multiplayer.

You might like puzzle games. Puyo Puyo and Columns 3 are skill based and can get extremely hectic.

Tetris Attack/Puzzle League, Wind and Water Puzzle Battles, Tetrisphere

This, but good fucking luck getting anyone smart enough to be a challenge to you if you're the one who unlocked all of the parts.

God damn I broke that game fucking hard. Then I discovered how to get augmentations.

Arena FPS.

Mordhau's 1v1 combat looks pretty sick.

Team games have become shit because of the casualization factor. In ye olde team games you could quite literally carry entire games if your skill level was high enough compared to your opponents. Now team games put a hard ceiling on how much you can do necessitating your reliance on your teammates. You can play flawlessly and still lose against inferior opponents, because your teammates are that shit. Anyway stop being a pathetic faggot and pick up fighting games if you want good 1v1 competitions.

That fist image is so fucking gay. Don't be gay OP. Don't.

Props for the second one. That was one great fight scene.

I just want Last Raven ported to PC with functional netcode for co-op/versus.
Is that too much to ask for?

I liked Way of the Samurai 1's combat system, and it also has a versus mode. I'm pretty sure Steambot Chronicles did, too.

You can duke it 1v1 or 7v7

If you liked WotS, try pic related or the 2nd game. A bit more realistic but still fun with friends.

Quake (or its offspring. Holla Forums has a Xonotic thread and server)
UT (if you want slower, jerkier movement and more hitscan)
Supcom (or any other good RTS really)
Trifecta of skill based 1v1 is AFPS, RTS, Fighting. Pick your poison really (and hope it still has players)

Oh, reminds me, Bishido Blade 1 and 2 for PSX. Playing them LINKED is an experience. First-person sword fighting.

What the shit is that game called, the one memed as Medieval Drunk Simulator?

Be warned, the game's sounds are all 1 second loops of japanese wildlife that play on repeat ever second of playtime.

It's a shame the xbox360 sequel wasn't as good.

I've never heard of this game before.

yeah, name one where item control isnt prevalent in it, then I'd play one

Is it worth picking up? I didn't even know this was a thing.

That'd be any mod or mode where the items don't spawn (Clan Arena, Instagib, etc). But you also completely dumb down the game; throw away incentives to go to certain areas of the map and any risk/reward dynamic the map would've been designed around.

you can make area control less about muh power ups and instead make it about a mechanic. arena shooters are devoid of ideas and its why the genre died.

What do you mean by that?

Like what?

inb4 example game mechanics already exist.

How about a "mechanic" that gives you double damage for a certain period of time, or one that doubles your health?

Teams should be 2-3 people, 4 very rarely at most ever. People do not naturally get along in larger groups.

At this point I'd settle for a good COD2-style game. A team game, where you can more or less put the ten mongoloids in your team on your back and carry them to a win, despite their best or worst efforts.

my friend had an idea about grind rails that sounded very interesting. imagine bioshock infinite but actually competent and encouraging switching of rails better and having weapons built more around it.

less circlejerking of a fucking 17 year old game that people have cloned to the point nobody fucking cares about any more.

Well ok, I personally wouldn't play it. The rail itself makes whoever's on it extremely prone to whoever can basically lead a shot. At least with the grappling hooks in Quake you have people swinging around less predictably.

Quake champions 1v1 duels.
Not the best game but I can't think of any other shooter that lets me do that and has players to queue against. Every shooter that ever used a server browser except valve shit is dead for me because I'm not euro.

you can dismount and remount at any time. Not hard to imagine potential. +hook is a mod and isn't in the base game

You could try RTS games

For two dollars why not?

It's a completely different game though, it's no longer duel focused and has multi enemy skirmishes.

I returned it because it didn't feel like my honorbaru samurai dueling game that I liked so much.

life can find a way

It still registers as modern shooter + gimmick. Good luck with the idea however.

Dont do this to me.
It would destroy the world as we know it.

any poorly explored mechanic is a gimmick, if you build the game and its levels around it, its a mechanic.

how about falling off stage?
that's one way to ensure people want stage control, sort of like melee

Can we agree that item control and power-ups are game mechanics in arena shooters then? This along with teleporters, launchpads, teleporters that relay weapon fire, and jump tricks, richochets, etc.

Fuck man I feel like I dont enjoy video games anymore.
why can't there just be an awesome Lost Planet game focused on multiplayer combat.
or a game that took dark souls PVP and made it actually work.

I agree, I think they are more sub-mechanics but they are essential to things like quake 3. Problem is, a million "revival" arena shooters did the same thing as quake 3, and nobody plays them. The market doesn't want a game like quake 3 but they still like arcadey shooters. I don't like the direction they took with games like tf2 and overwatch, but people still like these kinds of game.

They just don't want another quake 3 clone. It's been done, a lot, too much.

OP was asking about 1v1 games to play. Not the low online player population that arena FPS games have, which seems to be a characteristic shared by other 1v1 styled games like RTS that isn't Starcraft or fighting games.

Off note, a lot of what was mentioned was either Quake 1 in mind, with the exception of teleporters that relay weapons fire being Quake 4. But I guess every Quake series or derivative DM ever was Quake 3.

You're starting from the wrong game. I'd go for Jet Set Radio/Zineth with guns. Infinite is largely focused on just swapping rails and dropping off them, they don't let you fling about and control your movement very well.

It's not my idea, I'm just sharing someone elses. Bringing your own interpretation in it refines it.

Blade Symphony is a decent dueling game. Not sure what the server population looks like these days though.

holy shit this game looks fantastic

steamcharts.com/app/225600
fuck

check out blade symphony even though it's playerbase is tiny/dead

fuck, i didnt scroll down

but yeah blade symphony is great. I'll play it with you if you do pick it up.

I will buy it thursday.
I wish I played this game when it came out
fml

Quake Live

it's semi unfinished b/c with no worthwhile single player content to speak of and no playerbase. but other than that it was a really fun game

it was dead before it even left early access tbh

Play KOF~ a team YOU control.
Or RTS~ kekekekekeke

Those already exist in arena shooters. They're generally called space maps.

Item control is a core mechanic of the subgenre. Plenty of games do shit differently, but nobody pays attention to the differences. They just see a rocket launcher and armor and assume it's all the same
They also give all credit to Q3, which is how you know they've never played any of the games they're talking about

hardcore quake player got me, i never played a game i made maps for over 8 years.

you're a retard and do not understand the difference between a core mechanic and a sub mechanic

Also item control is one of the defining mechanics of the genre, and the BioShock rails idea is retarded. Just play Tribes and get predefined paths with the option to slightly adjust them if the need arises

everyone's played quake, not everyone's played its many clones because they are just not interesting on any level. I must be wrong about the genre stagnating which is why there's so many amazing and incredibly active quake clones around that totally aren't dead and a new one doesn't come out every other year in an attempt to revive the genre.

Oh wait. Tribes is also on the other end of the spectrum so I have no idea where you got that from you autist.

Look no further. It's called Quake "Clan Arena for days" Live. Everyone spawns with max health, max armor, all weapons. Items don't spawn. Rockets don't self-damage. Or maybe Instagib because there's no items to control there either.

quake 3 was the most casual garbage ever made

Strategy games are good 1v1 games. Especially Advance Wars, that game devolves into autistic rivalry quickly. Too bad the community is dead as fuck and Jewtendo won't make any new one.
Also Trading Card Games are good 1v1 games, although not vidya technically.

fixed your card to the superior game and actually gave it abilities

its ok, but hardly competitive.
Item control shouldn't be necessary for a game to be competitive

life is suffering
anyways, age of empires 2/HD still has a large enough community on steam/voobly, and 1v1 there works perdy well

there is a mod for tf2 that does this, dunno of it still has servers or not

since its tf2 you start with your weapons instead of weapon pickups, I dont remember if there are health pickups

Otherwise, the card is both game mechanically and thematically solid.

I played it back in Alpha, it was a pretty good time. I regret not trying it again after it was further developed, I'm not surprised to hear it is dead.

Spotted the pozzed faggot who never played Yugioh.

As much as I enjoy Yugioh I can't really say it works well for custom cards. Cards are far too wordy and restricted in their design. MtG gives a lot more options for you to work with.

Sage for offtopic

Okay
The actual issue is that taking out items hugely lowers the skill ceiling and it's team focused anyway

Also it's not that item control is necessary for a game to be competitive, it's moreso that it's a key component of the sort of game you're talking about. That said, RTS' also heavily feature resource control, so if you want competition and no resource control whatsoever, and wont accept CA, then you're stuck with your favourite flavour of Fighting Games or lower skilled shit

dank memez XDDD hahaha very funny

t. jew

isn't the quake live circuit basically quake 3 arena OSP?
That's not what they're playing in the circuit. that's why I said it's not competitive because I'm talking about what you were talking about

I quit before synchro monsters was a thing but I remember enjoying my volcanic burn deck . I was sold when I found out MTG had a funnier version of my favorite card

It'd be awesome if the total war games weren't shitty rng and gave you more control over your units like an actual rts.

SIMPLY EBIC BRAH!!!!

Hell is other people
-introvert's motto

Does anyone know more about what happened with this game? I was excited for something from the Dystopia developers at first, then it slipped my mind and released and died before I noticed it again.

Is there such a thing as a free online shooter that isn't absolute dogshit?

people who post these shitty TF2 memes are the most insufferable faggots in existence.

Clan Arena was part of tournaments for years, it's just that it's a team mode. 1v1 scene has items because resource management forces fights and makes shit actually interesting. I've yet to see a shooter do good 1v1 without that mechanic

Smash brothers

PubG

Hi, top 100 player here (Master) Dont remember my position but it was between 20 and 70.
Blade Symphony was a good but unfinished game, it had its balance problems where certain weapons would be outclassed by others in certain characters but the characters weren't that much different so there was nothing that OP.

So we had three characters, not gonna name them cause its useless but explain them however:

Fast forwarding the devs were happy to announce a new character, another woman cool everyone was wondering what kind of gameplay she would take since everything seemed to be taken.
Well fuck you, the woman had the same range as the range guy, almost the same speed as the monkey and almost the same damage as the juggernaut. In short, she was three shotting people at a long range and really fast. Because this piece of shit was SO fucking imbalance the butthurt of the fanbase was too big to handle and they threw a shitfit: "we won't be fixing shit, you do it" to the damn fanbase. The problem was not only the damage, but the entire moveset who they refused to change. The already small fanbase took a hit too big for this and went from "average niche game" to fucking dead, they even closed all the servers.

There was only like 4 servers in the end and only the veterans were left, whoever played the last character was shamed and the other player would leave or it would use certain exploits. Surrending the round is killing your own character, if you did it right in time before the match start you could then have an invincible corpse forcing a draw like pic related.

tl;dr: The game was fine, new character was OP as fuck destroying the community, devs refused to fix it, game died.

this user gets it

You know, it pays to get out of your comfort zone. The normalfags won't hurt you.

Wew

It was a fun time when you could abuse his jumping abilities, and become OP as fuck. :^)

Even Rust is better.

Anything else you want to sell us on, developer-kun?

Those weird japanese crows still haunt me.

If you like speedrunning, some of the Sonic games have multiplayer based around beating a level before the other player does. It's more of a tacked on bonus nobody takes seriously, but it's neat if you have a friend to play with.

Absolver is pretty good OP

Nigga, half the game is "hope I get a gun" and the other half is "hope I get a scope." the .01% it isn't is when skill matters. I had fun with it at first, but it just gets stale and boring after 100 hours of running to the circle and dying in the first 30 seconds.

Oh, don't forget the Chinese version had ads in the main menu trying to sell them a VPN service needed to make the game run properly, since they haven't taken the time to get the servers there working properly.

xonotic