Shin Megami Tensei

Less than 23 days until new SMT HD info.
Needless to say, this project is make-or-break for the future of mainline MegaTen. I pray that Yamai's team can set aside their usual bullshit, quit being hacks and just for ONCE make a proper effort to deliver an SMT game worthy of the label. Otherwise, I fear there will be nothing but mobile shit afterwards. Dx2 is obviously testing the waters for the worst to come.

Also, some guy on dis cord says Imagine's private server is coming today or so. But I'm not sure I can trust strangers on the internet, so take it with a grain of salt.

It will most likely be barely anything but they will have tons of persona shit to talk about
That already happened when SMTIVA took the persona frendship route and they decided to make #FE instead of SMTxFE.
LOL
with japan mobile shit is always a guarantee.
more like the next phase for SMT. atlus couldn't give less of a fuck

but I'm posting in this thread because I kinda care too.

Fuck mainline where the FUCK are Raidou 3 and Devil Survivor 3?

Imagine is that SMT MMORPG that went full pay2win, right? A private server would be interesting, since they usually remove the jewry. Might be worth playing.

No, what will happen is that Persona will become the mainline MegaTen

Not as bad as it could be, but still very very very fucking bad

That happened so early into the game's life that hardly anyone remembers a time when it wasn't a textbook example of everything wrong with pay to win business models. The western publisher made it even more pay to win than the JP version, which is one of many reasons it died so fast in the west despite surviving 9 years in Japan.

It's going to be a Switch port of 4 and Apocalypse I'm willing to bet.

The games servers are down

I'm expecting it to be a remake of an older title or an announcement of the next SMT mainline title to be on the switch. Worst case is that it is just mobileshit or #FE 2.

Wow, can't wait

This. I need this so bad.

Is it a remake of the first game? And will it still be first person?

SMT5 is already confirmed to be on the Switch, the only story information is that it will focus on Odin.

Please go back to actual 3D models and environments, bring back the PS2 era SMT games.

I'd much rather go back to SMT1 and 2's style myself.

Something like SJ?

The new one is gonna be a mix of everything.

OP here. (My ID may or may not have changed.) Sorry about leaving this thread hanging for so long. Real life got in the way, but more importantly, I've been following some breadcrumbs online and, long story short: Imagine's private server is now open. But it's still extremely buggy and unstable. You'll probably have a hard time getting past the character select screen and/or the tutorial without freezing. All that said, if you're feeling lucky, this is the site you can make an account and download the patch:

reimagine (dot) online

And if you don't already have the game client, you can download it here:

drive (dot) google (dot) com (slash) open?id=0B2ZZXlhIOEAJaUgybzhfREI0SDA

Here's hoping it gets better.

Yeah, you have to ask what they gain by having full 3D environments and what they lose by not having grid-based movement. They don't really gain much by the former and without the latter they lose something that makes them distinct from a lot of other JRPGs.

Nocturne at least made your character fucking cool to look at, which justified a third-person camera, but I'd totally be down with returning to SMT1's style.

I figured they'd attempt to make a 3D remake of the original SMT, or remake Digital Devil Story (Since that hasn't seen the light of the day since the SNES, meanwhile SMT1 was ported to mobiles a few years back

They're clearly marketing it as the "next installment", so I would assume it's not remake.
Then again, they also marketed Sharp FE as "SMTxFE" at first, and look how that turned out.

Exploring the world of post-apocalyptic Tokyo in full 3D feels fucking amazing, so they should definitely do that for the overworld. However, the dungeon sections should be old-school tiles if you ask me.

Because the PS2 SMT games aren't widely regarded as the best ones? Come on now.

i'm so disappointed and filled with such contempt for modern atlus i don't even feel like shitposting about it anymore. i just don't care.
it was the only franchise i was emotionally invested in and they killed a part of me and there's nothing i can do about it.

can't wait to see them add unncessary hyper sexualized lowest common denominator otaku pandering female protags, an easy difficulty, a super even easier than easy difficulty, make the normal and hard modes still easy, put in unfunny jokes that ruin the mood and, what else? dumb down demon fusion even more? make stats matter even less and make even less sense?

You're talking about opinions mainly from underage kids who can't read Japanese and thus never got to play any proper SMTs but 3 and Strange Journey, and for some reason Westerners have an immense phobia towards handhelds.

I love the first two SMT games, Soul Hackers, SJ and the EO series. I wouldn't mind SMT V being like those games since first person dungeon crawling is fun.

Nocturne let's you go back to the old SMT style once you beat it once.

SMT1 and 2 have been translated for a long while, only soul hackers I can see being less accessible to western fans, so I don't see your arguments holding water. Especially if they support a view that Nocturne, DDS and Raidou didn't bring anything of value to SMT.
There's a fucking limit to how blockheadedly retro you can be.

From what I can tell, it looks like the only versions to get a foreignese release at all were cell phone ports, and even if any self-respecting person could be assed to put up with touch interfaces, that still isn't what I'd call a "long time" by any stretch. Also, I think you meant If…, not Soul Hackers, and if you're including Raidou's spinoffs, I'll presume you meant to include the original Devil Summoner, which plays closer to a normal SMT anyway.

I didn't say that they brought nothing of value to the franchise - I actually like Press Turn quite a bit. I just don't think they're better than the SuFami games.

The main issue is that the server needs more bandwidth, that's why it's so messy right now. Also expect a midweek update to the server with some translation updates.

If you could fuck your demons in SMT it would eclipse Persona overnight.

we have freedoms here i think you can link sites

And the fact there is actually other things to do than straight combat. Also Persona actually has a story. I love SMT but it has its flaws. Story I don't care too much about but give me something to break up the gameplay a bit.

If we're talking about Persona 1 and 2, story is I'd say about on the level of normal MegaTen, just with more of a character focus than a setting focus. If we're talking about Persona 3 and onward, no it doesn't.

i have tested it works somehow so far if you mess with resolutions what really turns off its the messy letters things

Eramegaten 2 when?

if the project is a make it or break it for the future of mainline megaten then why is it a switch exclusive? its doomed to fail

If it's going to be like that then it won't be a make-or-break. Keep in mind they also have that cellphone game that's coming out.

what cellphone game?

Couldn't the same have been said of SMTIV? I think Atlus is just trying to cover all of their bases.

The Switch is already a popular platform and besides, the game's exclusivity isn't set in stone yet. We'll see.

Now that you mention it, SMT Imagine had demon friendship and mount features, but they were both very limited. That was probably the game's biggest mistake by far. Had they gone deeper with those features, they would have made the game a million times more popular, while also contributing more to the human/demon relationship philosophy of the series.

So you're in the loop on the server's development, huh? Very good, thanks for the heads up. Now I'll give you one in return: If you guys continue to advertise the server on cuckchan, it's only a matter of time until some Atlus employee on redit catches wind of it.

Death quads checked. If you're talking about "messy letters" appearing instead of Japanese characters, that means you aren't running the game properly. You should either have your PC's locale set to Japanese, or use an application that emulates that effect on the game.

I'm not in charge of who is advertising, unfortunately. I however do want to let you guys know since I've been around since the exodus. I help with cleaning up some of the translation or at least make it work on the server (Due to issues like text size limitations we cannot get around.), and my friend is translating from the ground up, trying to keep it faithful as possible.

I will never not be furious about what happened with FExSMT, you seriously can't fuck that combo over yet somehow they managed it.
Literally all it needed was Devil Survivor but with SMT and FE characters featuring Dante from the devil may cry series but somehow it turned into Idolshit.

Is it true that the reason why they aren't using Aeria's horrible translation for the early release is because the translation team hate it so much? I mean I understand why but surely temp shitty english translation is better then nothing at all.

Scrap that, were's Devil Summoner 3?

The difference is that unlike the Switch, the 3DS was a handheld, and besides that the breakaway success machine of the generation.

This

Because the only big enough group that cares about SMT is in japan and japan loves handhelds so it makes sense for Atlus.

We're doing our translation because yes, we hate Aeria's translation. It was done unprofessionally and messed up a good chunk of lines. I remember right when they first started they pretty much offered people in forums their in-game cash to translate the game. After that they used google translate and cleaned it up when no one wanted their monopoly money. So it will take a while to get things translated, but we started on one of the hardest files: the item file. At least the Quest file was able to be completed on decent time so that works. I worked on the Devil file the majority of the time, and that's fully completed.
I should note that my friend and I have been on the japanese server for the majority of the game's lifespan, so I do hold a skewed view of things.

Except the Switch is a TV console, only the West treats it like a handheld.

Interesting. I appreciate what you and your friend are doing. I hope your work goes well. We're all going to need some good games to fall back on when SMT HD inevitably disappoints us.

It saddens me how low Atlus' people have fallen from glory. Especially Ishida.

Then why does it have screen?.It's just a handheld that can be connected to a TV,that's all,Nintendo sells it as an "hybrid" for the novelty.Anyways i don't wanna debate semantics autism the point is if it can be used as a handheld then Japan will probably like it specially with the Vita in the end of its days

I really hope that's just a shitty attempt to virtue signal to western fans

Because they were hoping Japan would treat it like a handheld and the West would treat it like a TV console. The exact opposite happened.

It ain't happening so far - you see plenty of people with 3DSs and Vitas on the trains and on the streets, but I have yet to see a single Switch out.

Or to the media in general, there's a bizarre notion that you need to like Western shit because it's xenophobic not to, which probably explains why games are getting shittier.

Intent aside it's a bad attempt at connecting simply because SMT fans don't seem to give a shit about WRPGs , at least not Bethesda shit, and everyone was disappointed with Fallout 4 regardless. If he was simply attempting to signal, then he missed but if he was being sincere then he's just out of touch. Neither is a good sign.

Eh, fair enough. Hopefully your shit doesn't get DMCA'd (which, given Fatlus's recent fuckery is a very real threat), I'd love to see what Imagine would have been like without all the cash shop and Pay 2 Win shit.

I'm not surprised at this point, alot of Jap devs have really shit tastes.

I thought the switch was doing well in Japan

Devil Summoner 3 and 4th branch fucking never.

Thanks. The dev team is working on the game while they can. There are also bug hunters at work to find any issues that game will have, so everyone is doing their part. However, the game will not have any rebalancing done until everything is done no point of risking some massive error because of a rebalance we did way back.

It's doing well for a TV console, but not for a handheld.

Should I just try to learn japanese in order to play games that probably going to come here/ in fan translation hell like If..? and devil summoner?

that probably aren't going to come here*

You should learn Japanese even for the ones that do get translations, since translations aren't trustworthy at all.

I hope he'll appear as a playable demon in SMT HD. His model looks surprisingly good, and there must be a reason.

Providing a small update from another area, there's a great deal of text from demons that's unimplemented. Apparently there were other conversation skills that didn't make it in like singing, hypnotizing, showing off skills, or talking about dungeons.