Where is the actual good horror games?

Now, don't get me wrong I see their plenty of horror games on steam, (Not exactly good, but at least there on the damn thing.) And I mean stuff with a really good story, you know the last horror game that actually engaged me, was deadly premonition.

Sure it's over the top as all hell, but the story was actually engaging and made you want to see the whole thing from start to finish.

Another thing that even the older horror games did, they never really went far with actually dark themes.

Like silent hill, why is it so tame in the way it depicts things. Why isn't their just flat out disgusting things, the whole point of horror is to make the person uncomfortable but just enough to be engaging to keep the person going down the rabbit hole.

Why is it, I can read about a creature that skins baby's and eats the flesh of it, not appearing in horror, are we so scared enter the actual darkest parts of are mind to explore just the disgusting depraved shit?

hot

It's too hard to make a game that can match the horror that is the games industry. No point in trying to compete.

Because it's extremely difficult to create a horror game with a genuine monster of a person without it becoming edgier than a sharp razor.

Sure, but that's why you hire good writers. Fuck I know how to actually write a real good monster.
Besides horror games are naturally edgy, honestly I fucking hate how tame shit is because when you make or a monster or person that's fucked up, your making something that has a desire to kill, that has no real respect for life in pretty much all aspects.

Name two good horror writers. The only one I really know about is Stephen King and I don't really consider his work to be scary.

Edgar Allen Poe and Howard Phillip Lovecraft. If you want something a bit more contemporary then check out John Carpenter.

allan* ffs

Good is entirely the person opinion, as for good horror writers. I mean silent hill team of writers. (At least when it came to three.)

Like, what you need for a good horror story is this, emotion a plot that changes a lot, because naturally your going to have people die.

Games like I'm scared, were actually really good. White Face, wasn't even evil really, just really depressed and lonely, yet he made for a good antagonist.

Being alone for so long, really fucks with your head, no matter what you really are.

I will repeat this until I fucking die, to have a story, your characters have to act like people to extent.

Even the monster needs a motive, like well, The monster killing their friend's and family only to keep character for themself.

No, I think your creepypasta tier images made it pretty clear

Fuck, you're right. I was listening to audio of his short stories recently and, despite the fact that the webms all ended early, they were really good. Especially because I live in the mountains of New England and he makes them seem fucking terrifying. Bonus points that he's a massive racist.

Only thing I read from Poe was House of Usher, but that was back in like middle/high school. I started Rue Morgue and didn't get very far, but I'm probably going to give it a second shot.

OK, I was half joking but OP is seriously fucking cancerous. Holy fuck. He actually missed the point of the games and he's the reason cancerous western devs took the name of Silent Hill and just slapped some grotesquely murdered flat out explicit human bodies in it.

I know why it was you jackass. Because subtle imagery and having you look at the creature and form your own opinions on the creature. And you know what, that isn't fucking scary, you do realize if silent hill didn't have any sound, the monsters couldn't insight terror in any form, that's the problem with the silent hill series from 1 to 4.

You take anything out of the games, it completely fails to scare you. Not that it was actually scary in the first place mind you.

Here's my thing right, horror games aren't fucking scary, their are moments that jump at you and that's all you get, I actually tried to play Amnesia The Dark Descent way back, and yea it's good by horror standards.

I played Justine, because I wanted to get into the thick of it quickly so I could actually feel something.

Also silent hill homecoming wasn't bad, it also wasn't scary,

That's like saying alien is a good horror movie.

How about actually being fucking direct, because you know, that's how life is scary. Nearly slamming your car into another person is scary.

It's why the game stalker, is scary. Because bloodsuckers are direct and are a huge fucking threat, and chimeras. Look I can see this is going to go no where fast.

Some people are going to say, my style of horror is scary, some people will say something else.

Literately it's down preference, no one can be right or wrong when it comes to a opinion or view.

But your going to be a faggot and say other wise, even though having a opinion is neither wrong or right, and that's actually fact.

Go play siren or clocktower 3. Some of the few games that make you fear the enemies and actually scare you.

That game is too silly to be scary.

Horror isn't a good genre.

You're an awful person and you should stop having an interest in horror. You're the type of person to day The Thing was a bad horror movie because the monster itself wasn't always on screen.

Okay one, really, scissor man? I mean, mate please.

Siren is okay, I watch a play though, I will give the game credit for actually getting fucked up and dark, if not totally ripping the ending from silent hill 3.

That kid gets seriously fucked up.

Shh, your drunk user.

That's fine to admit. What I mind is you pretend to taint good art with bullshit. "Jump scares" aren't scary because being startled isn't being scared. Gory shit isn't scary, it's just gross.
If videogames don't scare you then don't play then.
Nobody cares

Shadow of the Comet, although it had shit controls, had a good story and it captured the whole creepy town athmosphere really well.
Gabriel Knight 1, while not exactly a horror game, had some horror elements and good story. I guess I like games where the horror or such is revealed to the player gradually. This is why novels such as The Case of Charles Dexter Ward work so well. There's a sense of mystery and suspension of disbelief before the shit kicks in

I'm not.
Give me one actually scary game, no lore no story just horror, all other elements that may redeem it do not matter, I just want it to strike fear in me.

I didn't read that far into his autistic rambling and now I'm glad I didn't.

Jesus, I thought reddit-spacing was a shitty meme but your post was actually uncomfortable to read.
Also,
to some extent, but you're objectively a faggot

Why is everyone assuming that clocktower 3 is about scissorman?
Yea when you see the axe man it gets goofy with the badguys like scissorman and scissorwoman, as opposed to the hammerman and the early acidman bosses, but the gameplay itself is still scary. You never feel comfortable in that game you are always running and hiding from the enemies.

Actually anything with Curt Russel is pretty much always good mate, and alien sucks my balls, least The Thing was actually interesting.

Not true, games have scared me. But am not talking jump scares.
Something where the monster is actually a threat and looks it works for me.
Amnesia almost got it right, but the monsters looked more retarded than scary.

Horror games don't scare me either, user. The only game that ever made me scream wasn't advertised as a horror game. Try playing STALKER in the dark, preferrably Call of Chernobyl (freeplay mod) so there's no scripted shit. And no pussyfooting either, hang around in dangerous areas like the red forest or the northern zone at night.

Then horror games aren't doing their job now are they?

They don't actually exist. The problem is that horror as a genre is antithetical to good game design.

Hardly, people are still scared by them. It just happens that you and I are not the target audience because we're hard to scare.

Amnesia games aren't as good as Silent Hill.
What you're saying is you have unconventional taste and you don't like good things, which is fine, but your wording is weird and your autistic ramblings are annoying.
Make a thread asking about games like Amnesia instead of shitting on good things you don't understand.

Also never said it was good, just said it wasn't bad. But leave to a guy on Holla Forums to not actually have a functioning frontal lobe.

I space how I want to, I hate leaving words together and stuck together looks fucking ugly, like your face.

Someone actually fucking gets it. One person, fucking Christ thank you.

Care to explain that? If the game is intended to inspire fear and insecurity, then good game design in this context is whatever achieves that goal, no?

You're just flaunting your faggotry like a whore at this point.

I've both played and watch silent hill, pretty sure I get it, your basically saying, horror needs build up.

Sure build up is nice, but what's the pay off?
Silent hill pretty much does nothing but build up, unless you count silent hill two and pyramid head's chase scene.

And I never said I didn't like silent hill, I like the story in silent hill, 3 being my favorite. The game's style of horror is just slow, and usually stays that way.

Because people find the unknown a lot more scary then something you actually know and is actually a threat.

Game design is about challenging a player to a test of skill within a set of rules and limitations. The problem with horror is that instilling true fear in players in some ways directly contradicts knowing rules, limitations, and testing skill. You can certainly develop immense amounts of tension within a challenging game (for instance, you're on the final stage of Gradius III and any single mistake is the end of an hour-long test of endurance and skill), but I think it's difficult to convert that tension in feelings of horror without compromising game design itself.

Mate, I already made my point. I'm not really going to defend it, some people agree some people don't. Just because I take a stand on something doesn't mean I have to defend it with like it's apart of my honor.

I made a post, I disagreed and agreed with some people, fact is. were entitled to are views because we don't live in north korea.

Your a adult (Imagination hopefully), I don't debate opinions I debate fact's. doing either wise is a compete waste of time.

No, I'm not saying it's about the build up. This is why I'm saying you don't get it.
This is not getting anywhere.
Like I said, it'd have been more effective to ask for games like Amnesia instead of going on an autistic rampage. Take that as you will.
Forgot to add, Homecoming isn't good at all. Your thread is destined to shit

Let me put it another way actually: the "unknown" in a video game has a very thin line delineating it from unfairness. That final corridor in the WebM is certainly horrifying when you don't the fireball directions memorized, but it also feels cheap as fuck until you do.

Your not exactly someone I actually listen to, when it comes to grammar, in fact I wouldn't ask any of you fucking morons.

Unless you have a creative writing course under your fucking belt, then you need to shut your mouth.

Case in point.

(when you don't "have" the fireball directions memorized,)

who piss in your cereal, leddit spacer?

No fucking duh. The whole is greater than the sum of it's parts faggot.

No one, because I don't eat cereal. because I'm not fat ass.

Horror is really just the atmosphere. Tension is in many games, and is a part of horror. If a horror game doesn't scare the player, it should still be a good game on its own merit. People replay Resident Evil numerous times because it's a good game, not because it's a horror game.
I think that if a game aims to be a horror game first, it'll never work out.

I understand what you mean, although I do think using a shmup isn't the best example. Although shmups follow the definition of game design that you stated very faithfully, the fact is that the feelings of uncertainty and tension in your webm come from what is indeed cheap as fuck bullshit. Horror can't come from unfairness, because it quickly transforms into frustration.
I think good horror needs to include clues or patterns that let you predict when a threat is coming, even if it's just a few seconds before you get assraped. Things like the sounds of the monsters in Ghoul's Forest, the breathing of a bloodsucker or the blue tinted vision when near a poltergeist in STALKER. The radio in Silent Hill. You either let the player know he's in danger a few moments before the threat is upon him or you surprise him with a jumpscare and give him a chance to flee or prepare to fight back.
I think we can both agree that making good horror games is harder than most other genres.

Are you actually autistic? Because most people aren't this fucking petty.

Penumbra 2 was the last good horror game ever made

I'm being petty, because I don't really need to respect you or even treat like person, I actually have question if any of you are most the time.

Also, does it matter or not if I am? I'm sure most people regardless of views or thought would talk to you like this, given how you speak.

Fuck, are you autistic, or have some form anxiety, I don't think I met a single one of you fags without acting like you have anxiety.

By the way, anxiety takes a lot different shapes, one form of anxiety is over aggression, where one is usually angered very easily by another and they start acting. Well more to the point, you or I.

I don't clam victory, "oh wow I point a miss spelling my dick grew and inch." That's not me, that's you.

There's this indieshit pixel game that felt like it had a similar aesthetic to Silent Hill. Anybody know the name?

Is it out already or is it still in development?

Holy shit.

The Last Door?

Like typing autistic walls of text in anonymous rage like you are doing?

Do you have selective reading disorder or something?

Actually don't answer that, that's all of Holla Forums.

Definitely done. I think it was released years ago.

No. It has somewhat better pixel shit than that.

You might as well just delete your thread at this point and remake it when you are less in a mood to passive aggressively shitpost.

Oh, and it has a demo.

Found it. It was Lone Survivor. Terribly generic name.

I like Lycoris.

Just looked it up. They need to turn down ALL the filters a little bit.

Friendly reminder.

Can you change them in game?

Wew.

I would assume so. It would be unplayable otherwise.
Also theis game prototype by the same dev looks interesting.

It's rather impossible for a video game to stir up a distasteful horror in one's mind. Horror games either devolve into pointless ambience or endless jumps. The only medium that has no trouble being scary is the oral story, the folktales and the urban legends which tell of murderous wraiths, hidden cults, and forbidden tombs beneath our very feet. Certainly these can be adapted to ink in collections of stories, and to film in documentaries or pseudo-documentaries, but I have never seen these local tales of dread, mystery and the macabre adapted into the format of a video game.

are you fucking autistic

Hi Reddit

It has little to do with reddit, and more to do with being a faggot who's not from here. plebbit spacing is just the term that gained popularity.

You seem like you might actually have 2 brain cells to rub together but are to much of a passive aggressive aspie to really enjoy a conversation with.

Its funny to me because the only reason anons would know what reddit spacing looks like is from posting on reddit themselves, the rest just parrot what they hear.

First person point and click adventure games come as close as anything does.