Gaming 1 Decade Ago

Thank goodness I don't need to worry about that shit anymore. I remember how much I hated Vista.

There are a lot of shitty games released these days, but it's nothing compared to hell about a decade ago

Back then we were at the Denial or Anger phase, now we've reached Depression, or more likely acceptance.

It was way better back then, less politics.

No, you simply cared less as all the other anons at the time.

At least I can run somewhat older games now, and some of them are remastered these days. On top of that, fangames and romhacks have been getting better these days - making games fun without having to pay anything.

Better to have games with some hung over on shitty politics than only being able to play anything released in [the current year].

nice blogpost faggot

/thread

Because (((Hilary Clinton))) saying that Doom and GTA are responsible for real-life violence and should be banned was any less political. Games were political a decade ago, they were just the target of politicians and not a vehicle for politics at the time. You can argue which is more politically involved, but the point is video games have been surrounded by political controversy since the days of arcades. When many places got their first curfews so that kids would stop staying up all night at arcades.

Microshit really needs to ramp up their OS game, I'm tired of skipping OS generations

Are you insane ? You still have to modify it, else that horrendous startup menu covers your whole screen.
And if you ever go into support, even server side and you have to check hundreds of servers for something you will quickly realize how much slower all your work becomes with that start menu.
And that is just the beginning of your problems.

Windows 7 is their last good OS.

its miles better than windows 8. noone uses windows 8 anymore.

user, a polished piece of shit is still a polished piece of shit. And to improve a heap of garbage is easy. Don't fool yourself man.

Just last night me and my brother tried putting together "10 good games" per year lists. 2005-2016 was a struggle, some years like 2016 and 2015 were downright impossible, but this year I can easily do a top 20. 2017 has been pretty gud.

There were still politics (jack thompson) but the difference is that the cancer hadn't yet begun killing us from the inside yet. It's fucking astounding that there are now self proclaimed gamers who have the same mindset as a concerned christian mother in from the 90s.

Rustle?

What did you pick for 2017?

Underage nigger detected.

You concerned jewish democrats.

Reminder that liberals actually wanted to regulate games.

Windows 7 is updated Vista. There are very few significant changes that didn't come in the Service Packs to Vista. One of the biggest problems with Vista was the hardware requirements: it needed about 1GB of ram just to idle. This was really high for the time, but by the time they released 7, that same 1GB was less demanding.
Similarly, Windows 10 is 8 with a skin, plus spyware and DX12. Very little changed where it really matters.
All Windows OSes are half-assed updates of previous ones, instead of unique products like Microsoft wants you to believe. Sort of like how Nintendo sold the Wii off as a new thing, even though it was basically just a Gamecube, but expanded across a couple decades

In no particular order

And there are still a few that could be good

Stop right there Nintencuck.

Get your facts straight nigger.

And getting punched in the face is better than getting shot in the balls, what's your point?

With all due respect, user, die a violent death.

Remove all politics and the core game is pretty good. All included it still beats 99% of the drivel made in the previous fee years. I only listed games that are good, not mecesarily ground breaking.

Games as white genocide propaganda pushing the Jewish agenda wasn't a thing before 2007, at least not in any meaningful way. And very little political happened /to/ vidya, either.
Scoring cheap points with the remnants of the Moral Majority by pretending to care yet not bothering to accomplish anything is nothing.
A sideshow who accomplished nothing.

Indeed.
How old are you? Was the 360 your first console?

You call out 9 out of 25 games I listed. We can now debate taste until the cows come home, but even if those 9 are removed it's still 16 games, which is still way above average the past few years.

2007 was so fucking great.
I had my first job for a year now, bought my first TV and game system with my own money, soiftmodded the Wii and turned the entire living room into a game setup.

Sounds like a great game for Holla Forums

RE7 took the entire Amnesia-like horror genre and showed it that giving the player guns didn't automatically screw the game. The whole final part on the ship was shit, but stuff before that was good. I admit that I'm a sucker for tural America horror settings though. That's why I like the western Ring more than the original. Tekken 7 was pretty good and still has an active playerbase. Not sure what complaints people really have except for the lackluster single player, but then who plays fighting games for their single player?

Crash was nothing special, I never finished it as a kid so I did it this time around. Again, it wasn't great, but it wasn't shit either. South Park made fun historically of all ethnicities, not sure how the difficulty slider joke would ruin the game unless you take jokes about as well as tumblr. The first game was good, if this one ends up as good I'll be content.

What about Sonic Mania was bad, besides the DRM?

Reminder that the only "good" version of Windows 10 is the Education Version because you can use group policy to blast the gay Microshit away.
Still don't really trust it so I have a good number of ad/telemetry filters on my pfSense router just for that one machine

Reminder that there is no god version of Windows.

Yea, they finally managed to fix their spyware

Those games you couldn't play on Vista will still not work on any of the modern Windows versions.
7 is basically patched Vista and neither have the compatibility of Windows 9x (95/98/ME)… 8/8.1/10 are even worse in this regard, and to add insult to injury those come with free spyware and adware that is more in-your-face than ever.
Your best option other than 9x is Windows 2000 or XP, both are the same exact thing except that the first is less demanding hardware-wise and has less bloatware (no MSN, WMP…etc)

user pls go

Because being completely vulnerable to remote code execution just by being connected to the Internet is totally worth it.

Just use WINE on Linux.

Why would you need internet if you're playing a game so old that it's incompatible with Vista? It will most likely be an offline game… Besides who said this has to be your main OS?
Wine for gaming is as useful as a 10 foot pole for sewing; completely unusable and inconvenient.

Speaking of, I found my old screenshots from back when I installed the first official (non-beta) release of Windows 10. My old foolish self thought it would be an improvement over 8 which my laptop was stuck with, and boy was I wrong.

Good screenshots
Why do you have both qbitorrent and Deluge?

Gamepad support.

IIRC at the time I was looking for a good alternative for uTorrent, those two programs were the most suggested so I installed both to try them. I ended up settling on qB.

Good choice
On Linux it's actually a really good looking program too. The tacky icons are replaced

They don't look so bad on my side… Care to provide a screenshot of yours?

I never bothered to fix the fact that the titlebar is a different color than the rest of the UI.

Enjoy supporting the International Zionist Cause by using an operating system that is designed, at its core, to datamine users and send any and all information it can scrap to Redmond, WA for it to be processed by ZOG AIs which build psychological profiles on you which then denote you a terrorist with no human interaction until the flag is sent to the Alphabets.

This has been a freindly notice from both Holla Forums & Holla Forums

Those definitely look cleaner than this mess. But then again I don't really focus on the looks much since qB mostly runs in the background while I do other stuff.

The UI sucks but at least it's consistent. Win 10 is a garbage heap of many design philosophies and they're all terrible.

The closest thing to a good version is the ltsb version

Vista pre service pack was bad. With later service pack it wasn't that hugely different from 7, MS last good OS.
Yes. Then came 8.1, which fixes it slightly but not that much, but an attempt was made.
Hehehehehehihihihihihihihohohohohohohuehuehuehue.tiff
Oh shit nigger you for real. No, Win10 fucked everything up. MS wanted to go mobile in a big way but they got hot headed, that shit is not happening for them. MS wanted to change the model into Windows as a Service, that shit is an abortion in a blender the way they handled it. Cortana, spyware, bloatware is built in to the OS. We'll see if they realize how badly they fucked up by 2025, but W10 is a bad joke.

I would marry that succubus.

unix master race laughs at you

Here's the thing though. Nobody took that shit seriously back then. My father and mother were and still are heavy political conservatives and they knew the videogame shit was hysteria. Anyone with 2 braincells to rub together wasn't influenced by this mania.

Modern politicization in gaming is 1. Serious 2. Is a hindrance to storytelling and gameplay
Hillary Clinton wasn't directing your videogames back then she was just hating them. Now you have people like her in charge of video game direction.

Also if you knew anything about the "early arcade era" the hysteria was legit because you had alot of younger kids mixing with older kids who drank/smoked pot so the curfews etc. was to protect the little kids from the older ones.

Grow up, child.

Just because an OS runs your goymes doesn't mean the OS design itself is any good.

Enjoying your Tux Racer, user?

Just because your OS is open source doesn't mean the design itself is any good :^)
Seriously keep that shit in >>>Holla Forums

Super Tux Kart > life

Are you that Solaris LARPer on tech.

I see LARPer caught on as the default insult on Holla Forums to replace cuck

Are you that Solaris LARPer cuck on tech?

Nice bait.

In all seriousness, right now Holla Forums seems to be getting raided by Fagiolis. But it's hard to tell from any other average days. :^)

Add redditor MtF tranny to the insult for good measure

I'd say bait but a surprising amount of people believe this.

Still better than battlestation/desktop/homescreen/help im buying a computah for gayms pls halp/other-cuckchan-cancer threads.
You don't know how good you have it until you truly see the bottom of the barrel

YOU ARE FUCKING RETARDED. GAMES NOWADAYS HAVE POLITICAL AGENDAS PUT INTO THEM BY THE DEVELOPERS. SOME CUNTS TRYING TO BAN VIOLENT VIDEOGAMES IS NOT THE SAME SHIT. ALSO SO MANY BLATANT STEAM COCKSUCKERS ON THIS THREAD JESUS CHRIST

As opposed to kids like you who were never around when Steam wasn't, and don't remember what DRM used to be like before Steam.

The wanna regulate every fucking thing.

I know user. But I'm talking in general. Before 2007 you still had politics in them or had a message as such. I was aware how it all changed though so fast and retarded, most of us here are that's why many of us are pissed off.

Pleb faggot.

The journalists of gaming-magazines were always political and shitlibs though. Don't remember the ridiculous hatred they had of Uwe Boll? Or how they spazzed out over Duke Nukem Forever, when it's a decent FPS, waay, waaay more fun than any FPS' that was released around that time.

At least they finally broke the windows curse.

Not all of us can be a singularity like you. ;_;

Windows 10 looks like cancer, feels like cancer, it's fucking cancer. It's also a fucking google-tier botnet.

During the period where they were giving free "upgrades" to Win10 for anyone still on 7 and 8, I adamantly refused to do so because I saw how people were tearing it a new one, even how MS was being ultimate scumbags and automatically installing it on people's machines whether they wanted it or not. Went through and uninstalled all the updates Holla Forums pointed out were related to telemetry and the Win10 "upgrade," and even disabled updates entirely until the free offer ended. Dodged a real bullet there. Then when I built a new PC, I "purchased a legitimate copy" of 7 to install onto it, and it installed fine with a little finagling. The first thing I did was make sure it didn't install those damn telemetry updates again.

At the time, my dad (who isn't technologically illiterate, mind you) was questioning me as to why I wasn't taking advantage of the free "upgrade," to which I replied that Win10 is a garbage OS and it wasn't worth the hassle, even warning him not to do it on his desktop. He dismissed my concerns and went through with it anyway. I swear, every week I have to help him or my mom with some Win10 bullshit, and every time I just think back to that "free upgrade" period and I feel sorry for everyone else that fell for it, or worse, were forced into it.

Win10 is a dumpster fire, as is literally everything MS has put out over the past few years. I have no idea what the fuck they're smoking over there, but clearly they can't make even a halfway decent product anymore. The Xbone has been all but abandoned (they're pretending that the X will be something but I'm waiting for the inevitable overheating issues, and they still have basically no first-party support or exclusives), they want Office to be a subscription service when LibreOffice does all the same shit for free, Windows Phone is dead in the water, and Edge is the worst browser since Internet Explorer. How can you fuck up one of the leading tech companies so quickly?

I still dont get why people dont question why they are getting free shit, especiallly since previous similar products went for 50 bucks.

Find someone worse than Balmer which you think would be close to impossible but apparently not, then put him in charge.

Was absolute trash just like it's absolute trash today.

Put Pajeet in charge of it.

Video games have always been shit. If you play video games, please consider suicide because you are not improving yourself for 12 hours every day.

I predicted some retard unironically saying this a long time ago but I guess the faggot you replied isnt technically saying that. He comes close though

You should spend every other minute of your entire life benching 12'000 pounds.

Thanks for the advice, will do.

Remember to drink fifteen gallons of milk every day and eat big to get big, we can all make it.

Try using the staging branch of WINE.

Absolutely wrong in every point. Even if you weren't a /g/uy who worries about botnet and spying nightmares, W10 still is awful overall. Mostly, the confusing and hard to get used UI, forced intrusive "mandatory" updates which you have no control over which one to install, even more bloatware that it comes when you install the OS and unnecessary changed harder directions to things such as Control Panel being hidden are some glaring flaws that shows Microsoft has really degraded through years.

I think you meant Windows 8.1, not Windows 10.

This thread gave me flashbacks to all the requests I got to fix people's computers when they ended up with windows 10, through their own ignorant willingness or otherwise.
It was a fucking nightmare trying to unfuck people's shit, and most of the time there just wasn't a way to unfuck what they had issues with. There was no fixing the UI, there was no fixing their peripherals, and god there was one person who didn't give me a login password which normally is no big deal, boot up my utility cd and bypass it or wipe the password, turns out the login required a network connection, the user account was tied to a HOTMAIL account so it was impossible to bypass. On the bright side, I converted plenty of them to linux.

For gaming? Nah, WINE and a DOS emulator covers almost anything worth playing these days. Both are so good now I'm able to run legacy business software in them without my stuff knowing the difference.

This is how I know you're either baiting or not worth listening to. WINE is great now and we have GPU passthrough support on modern CPUs. There is no excuse for gaming on Windows now unless you're a faggot buying stuff from the Windows Store.

If you were still using uTorrent when Windows 10 was released you're in no position to give advice to others.

Is this your way of feeling superior on an argument? By calling other and pretending that you are arguing with a child? You think I didn't experience Securom, how Pacman World 2 could fuck your computer up?

MS still thinks it has a chance with that hot garbage for some reason. And Win10 S looks like their fucked up pajeet take of ChromeOS\book. It's as if MS can't even steal a concept correctly anymore.

You sound like an unbelievable faggot with literally no identity other than play some fucking video game.

No one felt like a criminal for playing Doom or MK because of clinton/lieberman witch hunt. The culture was much more innocent back then, though, and the blood of Doom and MK felt like a crazy novelty.
The reaction was more or less "whoa! is that blood? that's blood!" and repeat until novelty wears off. Same as any other novelty ever.

Doubt it. You may have installed it for them and said it would fix their problems but in reality you made them not want to touch another computer for the rest of their life. or they just went to a more competent techie, pajeet-user :^)

you're in no position to give advice to others.
>>>Holla Forums

Here is your (you) and (2) faggot.

Back then, politics were generally coming from the outside-in, and the gaming industry was generally opposed to such influences. The current situation is closer to a civil war.

Windows 10 is ok if you modify it and ignore the telementary problems, a lot of those issues are fixed (except maybe the Edge)

And (2) for you too, kind sir!
>being so retarded you can't use an OS my Grandmother has used for 5 years
So you both use an OS barely functional enough to watch Youtube videos and run emulate Notepad, while convincing yourselves you're hot shit? Whatever you have dude, it sure runs in the family.

When I got Vista on my laptop, it was so incredibly slow that I couldn't stand it. I was desperate for alternatives, so I ended up installing Ubuntu, even though I had no prior experience with Linux.
I'm really glad I did. These days, I mostly use Linux Mint. I dual-boot, but I haven't used my Windows 7 partition in years.

Nope, education market might adopt it because they may not want to deal with the headache of maintaining 3 windows OS, 7, 8, 10 but at the cost of dealing with 10's bullshit. And some of them are still hesitant about 10 and sticking with chromebooks. Businesses are even more hesitant from what I've seen since most still run 7, a few still run XP. The consumer numbers are because it's pre-installed with new machines, and most consumers don't bother using anything else other than the OS that comes with the machine. Even the consumer numbers are not matching the original ridiculous target MS set out to achieve.

Back then I skipped out on Vista because I heard about how bad it was. I also skipped out on the LCD craze for the same reason. People were paying money for shitty LCDs while I got a cheap CRT going 1600x1200 resolution with good picture quality. We also had actual copies of Windows Xp so we could just install that shit anyway.

I also skipped out on RA3 because Westwood was already dead, I avoid buying DRM, and I didn't trust EA, not to mention everything I saw about it seemed jank and not RA.

Nah, loads of politics. But back then it was the christian right, Jack Thompson, and a few "concerned parent" democrat idiots, not the feminist left and not this strange invasion of idiocy into the hobby.

Now that's a funny joke. Windows 10 is more "avoid at all costs." When you have Windows 10 on your computer, it is not longer your computer. It's Microsoft's computer. Read the license agreements, terms of service or whatever, and privacy policy. It's fucking horrifying. They basically reserve the right to monitor you and do whatever they want to the OS and the software installed on it without your permission.

From what I heard the Windows 7 team gave up on fixing Vista and rolled back to Xp code and started updating there.

Holy shit, source?
If true this is hilarious.

While there was the christian right segment back then. The left was always there too, the soccer mom contingency were Clintonites. Killary, Tipper Gore, and droopydogfaced Joe Liberman were leftards who tried to be the moral sharia squad for vidya back then.
Yep. MS views anyone using the Home and Pro version to be nothing more than beta testers and something to be datamined. Their pitch is basically that type of "user feedback" improves the service for the Enterprise versions. Thing is, if I was looking to buy the Enterprise license, I would be wondering since MS has no qualms fucking over the Home and Pro consumers. Why would they not try that shit on Enterprise and Education as well. It's a trust issue.

Windows already did that, all they do is check email and watch youtube videos. Some linux distributions are set and forget tier, for most idiots that's good enough.
My clients have been using linux for their petty shit for over a year now.

I can say the fucking same.

There still was politics back then, only difference was that everyone in gaming was allied against the same enemy, the enemy being anyone trying to fuck with video games. Now everything is divided. It's not "people who play vidya vs. people who don't and want it banned/censored" anymore. A lot of the people with sticks up their ass over videogames actually play them quite a bit, with a bunch of them actually being really into retro games and the like. You'd think that, with them being older and more knowledgeable than the average gamer, they'd see through all the bullshit, but instead they fall for it. Or they're just lying through their teeth to appeal to the ones who weren't around for Jack Thompson, the ones who got shittalked by a 12-year-old on COD once and call it "toxic gamer culture", the ones who fall for "deep" marketing for shit like Life is Strange, and the indie/journo clique.

Gaming's been D&Ced so hard.

I think the Hotmail password shouldn't be a hindrance. The drive itself isn't encrypted so there should be a fully functioning system there.

Nice useless shitpost

Are you the Solaris LARPer on Holla Forums?

It works fine with Steam's integrated controller drivers on my DS4.
I am so conflicted that their drivers are so good. I wish all the talented programmers would just leave Valve already.

Sure there's a functioning system, and it doesn't stop anyone from accessing files, but if your client says "I don't know what the issue is, nothing works right!" then you only can log in to figure out what they're talking about. The hotmail user login completely fucked me in that regard, and the client claims they couldn't remember their password on the phone, complete airhead. Was the first time I had to tell them, "Sorry, without the password I can't do anything."
Thanks BESTBUY, you absolute fucks.

It's a been a while since I've read up on the development of Windows kernels, sorry. You'll have better luck asking >>>Holla Forums.

Tipper Gore was about music (metal and shit) iirc, not videogames. And Clinton is just a weathervane. She goes where the wind blows. Lieberman was in on it, but for the most part it was the christian right that started moralizing about undue influences on the nature's youth and agitating for stronger censorship, which didn't take because the industry was up in arms at the time. Nowadays the cancer comes from the feminist left and within the media and even within parts of the industry.

Who the fuck used Vista? Everyone still used XP until 7 came around, yoy are a fucking moron jesus. I had so much shit to play back then, there was no "PC MUSTARD RACE", no Youtube let's play cancer, you could actually buy physical copies of most PC games with the actual game in the case, it was paradise for me.

Rap iirc, though she was not a fan of metal. Unless you included rap when you said "and shit". :^) I'm not going to split hairs on whether or not she was going to ignore vidya once she can censor music. She was part of the censor happy moral crusaders who nobody elected.
She goes where the money is you mean. It's true that she will say almost anything if she thinks it can pander successfully to the whatever audience she's squawking to, but that does not mean there is a consistent pattern between what she says vs what she does.
Yep, most people saw what they're peddling which was "virtual fictional violence=real life violence" and correctly called bullshit on it. When it was peddled as sexism however, then yeah
that shit was bought up by too many people within the industry itself. Meh, maybe authoritarian puritanical sharia squads are more alike then they are different throughout history. Fuckers are always trying to control others, for "their own good" while they have a mountain of bones in their own backyard.

I just can't help but think of this C.S. Lewis quote every time I think about the modern PC culture, because it never ceases to be relevant.

Your insults are boring and poor, faggot.

Are you the Solaris LARPer on Holla Forums?

That guy didn't get the latest memo from Holla Forums, it's supposed to be

This is your problem now install Gentoo
By Brian Fagioli

user considering changing to Linux.
can it run adobe premiere and adobe photoshop?
what about Illusion games?

This is on par with a consolefag saying PC games require too much work to setup, kill yourself.

Can you use them with non-steam and cracked games?

Adobe is still a holdout, while there are ways to get it to run it on WINE etc. IMO it's better to just get a secondary machine, or a secondary separate HD\SSD for you to try loonix on. An off lease business refurb PC can be had in the 45-50$ range and can make a good enough My First Linux PC. If you already have a windows machine that runs adobe and the games you want, IMO keep it.

Use a second machine with loonix to learn basic loonix on, or more serious stuff like online transactions, or very serious business such as shitposting.

thanks

But user, politics in video games are okay because Deus Ex and Metal Gear did it right! Therefore any game trying to use politics for it's story is 100% guaranteed to get politics right like those games!

Test.