Nier Thread

Lets have a Nier Thread.

Other urls found in this thread:

inside-games.jp/article/2010/05/18/42090.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

more like nigger

inb4 futas

What's that OP? That's not Nier. This is Nier. :^))))))

shitposters begone

Shitposting aside, I wonder how many people didn't realize Automata was a sequel.

But Taro is a shitposter.

Everyone who bought the game.

Do you have autism?

Why can't you just let OP have his nice thread?

I enjoy Nier and Nier Automata greatly.
I consider their OSTs to be some of the best I've heard in any vidya.

(Checked)
Maybe he should have actually talked about the game in the OP instead of being a faggot. His thread was doomed from the start, with or without me. Look at the responses he got with his shitty low effort bread before mine.

I only made one about the shitposters Lol.

anyways back on topic of the thread, how did ya'll react to the Twist at the end of Ending A?

Which version of Nier ended up being canon?

Both with a seperation of about 300 years give or take.

Wat!?

Posting best drakengrill in this thread

Taro considers Brother Nier as the canon version, given that a lot of the events in the game make a whole lot more sense with the brother (pre-timeskip only being able to wield short swords, having a fuckton of difficulty to swing greatswords, the younger brother from the Junkheap being a VERY close parallel to Brother Nier's mental state, Ending D making a lot more sense as Brother instead of Papa Nier, etc.)

Regardless, Papa Nier has a very special place in my heart. I still consider the western version having Papa Nier as a good choice; he resonated a lot better with the western audience than Brother Nier would have.

how has no one posted her ass yet

never forgetti

Papa NieR did absolutely nothing wrong.
Why did everything feel like berserk? Was there some sort of tie to berserk?

No ties, just misery.

Papa Nier is better because he's not a fag who got his boipucci plowed.

Also Father-Daughter bond is more wholesome

I just remembered I made this. Haven't had a chance to post it yet.
I could make a shorter version with a loop instead. I probably should.

Next you'll say it's ok if she has a feminine benis

But Grimoire Noir says its papa nier using evidence like Emil being hardgay for nier 'because he likes older men'.

Nigger. Both are canon.

Yes reddit. Both are. Pay attention next time.

How does that work?

How though? I only played the original.

thats wrong though

Ehhhh, no Griffith and not enough rape to qualify tbh

One of the weapon backstories in Automata alludes to a young boy who destroyed the world to save his sister (I think it was the Phoenix Spear, one of the OG weapons), so there's that

Can I just skip the side quests? I am in the second half and the fucking pink moonflower seeds quest was my breaking point. I am kind of sick and tired of shitty fishing and awful fetch quests, maybe one or two side quests were decent (the lighthouse one).

You don't have to do any of the sidequests really, you'll only miss out on some DEEPEST LORE and you only need to buy all the weapons if you want to unlock the final story path

Robutt thread?

There did use to be a guide on cuckchan for what sidequests are worth it and what aren't. The one about the runaway boy in part 1 was definitely worth it for feels. I ended up 100%ing the game so I don't remember many of them other than that stupid Titanium Alloy grindfest.

Automata uses a subtitle therefor not a sequel

I agree.

I did none until my third playthrough.

No, do not sexualize robots.

exciting

Depressed, vulgar futas*
FTFY

Oh?

Automata alludes to both.

Is this worth playing if you don't find the ass sufficiently compelling?

Yes.

I think so. I've never found fanservice content to be a factor in playing video games.

I'd price it at $30-$40

I think of how much I'd love to replay Nier on PC, but I haven't played it since it had come out, and I worry if I go back and play it today, it won't be the same - and simply be a product of its time. Especially after how Automata played.

Speaking of how Automata played.

I was expecting a game with combat on the level of DMC/Bayonetta but that's not what Nier is. It's really just a story game guided along by simple combat and light RPG mechanics.

I liked the game well enough, but it does something that I really hate and soured my opinion a bit: I fucking hate when the game changes who you play as for the majority of the time spent playing.

You play as 9S for a majority of the game. He's not as fun to play as 2B, and he's not as fun to play as A2 who is the 3rd android you play. Just gave me some serious flashbacks of the bait-and-switch that was MGS2.

How it goes is you play through the game as 2B the first time. Then the second time you go through as 9S, and then the third time it switches you back and forth between 9S and A2. So it's like 2/4th 9S, 1/4th 2B and 1/4th A2. It takes me out of the game because then I stop caring about characters since your viewpoint is constantly shifting.

I will say that despite the issues I have with the combat and character switching, getting endings A through E was worth the time.

There's nothing feminine about that monster rod

You're lucky you're cute because you aren't smart.

I wasn't planning on fapping again this weekend but I guess that's those plans cancelled.

Weebs are truly subhuman.

I think this is it.

wait, how does weebness factor into this?

Lurk more.

Weeaboos don't exist anymore.

If you have never played the original Nier, here are a couple preppers.

Gameplay and story were equally shat on, in 2010. Game journos were in full japan bashing swing, and it felt unreal whenever they could give a game a mark lower than 8. Niche titles, especially japanese were targeted and used to reinforce the idea that news outlets could still be critical of games. When they were just marketing teams for Microsoft. As a result, most reviews you see on metacritic are hate tirades.

When it came out, the game looked like an early PS3 launch title, clearly on a budged. By now, the fine difference is no longer percepted: it's just an old game, as to say graphics suck like most other old games anyway. But it's story and music have aged wonderfully, making it as contemporary as possible if you just discovered Yoko Taro.

Japanese companies tried to fight back against the anti-japan sentiment in the press, and misguidedly tried to cater to american tastes. Hence Cavia turned her bishounen into a bulky barbarian, for the xbox 360 release of the game which would later become the international version. Gaming outlets falsely reported that the west was getting the "real" Nier, while the evil japanese were censoring the game: which as we know very well by now, is the exact opposite of what happens with western localization. So the answer is that Replicant was the first and real Nier, and the game makes much more sense like that: the story is about the loss of innocence and mimics Ocarina of Time to a degree, with a time skip that just doesn't have the same impact in Gestalt (with the kid protagonist who grows into a man). But not everything is wrong with Gestalt: they weren't joking, when they said that Father Nier catered to western interests. He is indeed an interesting take on jrpg protagonists, and his banter with Weiss gets an additional dimension of cynicism and dark humor. And without the physical difference between kid Nier and adult Nier in Replicant, you are less prepared for the curveballs the game is gonna throw you later.

Nier plays absolutely identical to Automata, down to having a pod with ranged and special attacks. It lacks the combos and overpowered chips, but gets much in the game of spell variety and enemy types. And just like Automata, the difficulty settings never feel completely right: Normal is so easy that you can safely faceroll anything with a basic combo, while Hard makes mooks hard as nails and lenghtens the bosses health bars to a point where each will take you half an hour to kill.

The original Nier deals better with new game plus. After you beat the game, starting a new game won't throw you back to the actual beginning, but just sorta midway. So not only will it take less, but the extra story bits you are going to unlock will be FAR more satisfying that those shit extra videos from 9S's playthrough. After you play through those, it will be something to talk about with fellow Holla Forumsirgins for years: by comparison, no one ever gave a fuck about the machine lifeforms side of things in 9S' point of view. So don't worry, it's not as bad as in Automata.

I forgot one:

There is nothing more harmful than suggesting someone to ignore the sidequests in Nier. They were criticized for being fetchquests: getting items and talking to people, is all you do. But the same is being said about Automata, too, and if you are approaching the original Nier after playing the sequel, then you are aware of how much story and mood is shown as reward for those fetches. Nier greatly rewards you for talking to NPCs and bringing them shit. Everyone glorifies the second playthrough's darker nature, but that mood is very much the essence of sidequesting too: every task you complete is like a slap in the face, you won't forget it.

I remember that dark time in ps3 and xbox era. Kinda interesting which games are considered classics and which aren't considered classics from that era.

Yoko Taro considers Ending C to be Papa Nier's proper ending while Ending D is young brother Nier's ending
Nigger Nier wouldn't exist if Taro didn't take a Joke ending seriously from the original Drakengard.

They're both canon fuck weed don't put words in Yoko's mouth. Automata has references to both Niers.

The entire paragraph after this is bullshit. The reason two Nier's were created was because Taro was shit at making money with Drakengard 1 falling but gaining a cult following. In order to secure himself a deal in order to even make Nier he had to negotiate with American execs to make sure he made a game that had both appeal in Japan and elsewhere. Yoko's team solution was to make the two games one for the Xbox 360 (Gestalt) and one for the PS3 (Replicant) with Papa Nier and Bro Nier respectively. It was planned from the beginning. In addition this caused a mini-crisis when the American execs almost forced Yoko and his team to can Nier Replicant entirely, which really pissed Yoko off. Nier Replicant almost nevere existed but due to Yoko's negotiations he was allowed to continue, Granted, Yoko's team liked Bro Nier far more and it's stated as such in interviews, they make no attempt at hiding who they prefer, that doesn't make Papa Nier any less canon and any less planned from the very beginning.

It has nothing to do with story canon: the 2 stories are explained to be happening both, in the same universe but a few years apart. But that doesn't mean that the game was originally split like this: it was done to cater to the foreign market. Yoko Taro is grateful to all his base, so he gave something to the owners of both versions, but in Grimoire Nier there was no mention of the gestalt timeline.

But again, slapping an old dude on a growing kid's story causes oddities. They suddenly make sense, after you know that the original version was Replicant. It's even gameplay related: kid Nier could only use 1 handed shortswords, then after the timeskip he had grown enough to wield 2 handers (and that's how he is presented). Father Nier's new weaponry has no meaning, there just weren't any other arms on sale before the timeskip.

Replicant was not the original they were co-produced at the same time. Which is American execs got pissy about them "wasting time making two versions" and wanted Yoko to make just one. There was also two from the beginning that's how Yoko got the funding to make the game.

*always two

"American Starblazers was as canon as the original Space Battleship Yamato, it was simply its international version as decided internally".

You should be old enough to know how western localization butchers things, notwithstanding the different versions of this story you get from the media (it's crap, western pandering was a short phase in japan vidya and it came from execs, not devs). But I guess not everyone can admit we got the bastardized version.

Have the fucking interview you fuckweed.

How the hell could American execs stop Replicant Nier from existing if Gestalt was just a forced in recreation of Replicant? They were both produced at the same time, both written by Taro and his team. That doesn't make it less canon.

What you seem to be failing to understand is that Gestalt wasn't a localization of Nier, both Gestalt and Replicant were released in Japan. Both were made at the very same time from the beginning you jackass.

Non-sequitur. Of course they were co-produced at the same time: they were released together. But it doesn't matter WHEN it was changed for the gaijins, you're still getting a modified product from the original the japs got. And all the proof you want is in the time skip.

1. New Fire Emblem game, both jap and us versions
2. US versions is censored
3. Release them on the same day
4. By your reasoning, they are equally valid versions of the game, the US one isn't censored

It doesn't matter if Nier was adapted for the western market before or after release. It was adapted, changing the source.

user what part of both games released at the same time do you not understand? They are both the original, they were both released at the same time. If you want to argue that they should have localized both instead of just one that's a completely separate argument then saying two games made and released as the exact same time and somehow only one is the original. Want to have a similar example? It's like your arguing that Pokemon Green is the original pokemon game since it never got a release to the US market even though, Red and Green came out at the exact same fucking time in Japan.

Something can't be changed if it was born that way from conception you dumb ass.

This is actually aknowledged by the devs, so don't be wasting our time. You have nothing to gain, pretending a localized game is now magically as equal as the original because feelings.

Oh man I'm glad the Japanese made this game totally for the American audience and not the Japanese one.

Realistically, all you can do is repeating that the release dates were the same. You have brought zero arguments about the game's contents, which only support Replicant's younger character as I said. And for the sake of keepin up the illusion, we are also magically pretending that companies butcher japanese products to cater to the west.

I wrote the info for people who want to know them, if you don't want to believe them, it's up to you.

Ok.

How are you fucking retarded? The interview says that without the japanese producer's intervention, Squeenix would have only funded the international version - after they concocted it, because they thought a burly barbarian would sell better.

But again, release dates uh? I guess you don't even wonder why Replicant wasn't released abroad.

Do you want the interviews where the designs for both protags were made at the exact same fucking time?
inside-games.jp/article/2010/05/18/42090.html

I'm still unsure if you are baiting or actually a cretin. You are disputing that the widely known fact that father nier is created for the western public, is neither catering or localization right?

yes
You are using that word incorrectly.

If they were made together, instead of one being a modified version, and the other being the original, why are there differences that make sense in Replicant and not in Gestalt? If they were both planned from the outset, Gestalt would have taken those differences into account and made changes there as well. In addition, isn't there a sidequest or two that completely exclusive to Replicant becuase it/they wouldn't make sense with Papa Nier?

They were produced at the same time I never said that Yoko and team didn't like Replicant way more.

Again, all you have is repeating they were made at the same time.
kek

So you're arguing that the discrepancies are caused purely by the devs liking one version more, and not by the fact that Taro had probably made the story for Nier long before he ever got to work on the actual game where Microkike told him he had to also make a barbarian protag for muh western shekels?

Yes, because that's how Yoko describes in his interviews. So far I've ac
Did you fucking read the interview?

He's raging autistically at the notion that we got a lesser version of his favorite game. Wouldn't be so stubborn if it was some crass happening at Treehouse. Back then, fans reacted just like 8ch would, if Nintendo replaced the Xenoblade 2 shota with a space marine.

The difference being that Cavia actually gave a fuck about the localization, and even if they didn't rebuild the game from the ground up, still the new dialogues have all a peculiar charm of their own. That Replicant might miss.

Sue me if the correct word is adaptation to the american market or whatever, you got the point already. And the devs were involved with the english voice actors anyway, they didn't strike lucky just getting some good ones.

Is that Jap slang for getting his boipucci BTFOed?

Whoops. But the interview is talking about how Replicant was almost called off mid-way. It's not talking about the conception. Which came first. The one that came first was most likely Replicant, and it was probably written out by Taro before he even got to begin actual development.

We should write edgy weapon stories about real-life weapons and weapons from other series. I'll start.

Hi-Point

Once there was dis nigga who grew up in da hood. Dis nigga smoked a lotta blunts, sold a lotta crack and banged a lotta trick ass bitches.

Dis nigga went to college and studied whitey's law. He weren't so good at dem tests, but he knew a lot about da law cuz he got taken by da pohleese a lotta times.

Well one day dis cracka lookin' ass mofo came to da school and said "Yo Barry, ya wanna be da prez-o-dent? All ya gotta do is read from dis teleprompta, fo real cuz."

So Barry grew up ta be da prez-o-dent. But whenever he thought about all da fuckin' wars and shit he was makin', he remembered all dem trick ass bitches he banged and yelled "Where mah fried chicken at?"

This is pasta.

Bad pasta no less

Papa Nier is my favorite too. No hate for the brother, but I liked the relationship between father and daughter more than brother and sister.

This is sound cringy and autistic as fuck, but I really felt motivated by her during the game. Yonah was best girl.

I like to think that Nier is like a legend and because his existence was erased no one really knows what Nier was like. Kaine remembers him, so maybe a few other might as well. No one can agree if Nier was a kid or a grown man so his legend is told from both sides.

I wish they did more for 9s' combat than just the one weapon combo and hacking. A lot of the time his combo was not enough damage and you had to hack enemies you couldn't kill with your sword and drone alone, leaving you with an instadeath explosion what wasn't the least bit satisfying.

Mind you I don't mind fan service but I'd rather play as manly characters with female characters on the side.

9S is the protagonist of Automata. I thought he was pretty cool. Though, to be fair, he comes off as a weirdo and a fag in the beginning.

Yonah….. had a hard life.
*is there a do it for her meme pic?*

Last