Two-Week Game Dev Jam (Spooked Edition)

Ok, so I had an idea about making a game within a two week limit. Just in time before Halloween. Is anyone else interested in collabing? This is a challenge to see what we can make in a short amount of time and also something fun to do.

Here's what we need:

- Writers
(plot, character bio, objectives, dialog)
- Sound FX / Sound Engineer
- Programmers
(objective & environment interactions, a.i. behavior, UI, player inventory)
- Artist
(character, environment, marketing materials, logo, wallpapers, poster)

We have two weeks to submit a fully working game into the market.

Benefits?

Acquiring the pride and experience of having worked on a game development team. A finished project you can add to your portfolio and show off. The chance to meet and work with like minded industry talent. Equal ownership in the final released game.

If you'd like to join our team, announce yourself and state what you'd like to work on.

If we get enough interest let's open a discord channel.

Other urls found in this thread:

8ch.net/agdg/res/29533.html#29534
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

That's the way life should work.

what is agdg general?

To get things popping off a little this is our platform we'll be building off of.

An advanced and custom AAA player system with awesome features:
• Walking and running
• Ladders climbing
• Hiding from enemy
• Health
• Stamina
• Real time footsteps based on surfaces
• Raycast interaction system
• Dynamic crosshair
• Items inventory
• Peek corners
• Falling effect and damage
• Eye zoom focus
• Object examining
• Paper Reading System
• Pause Menu with advanced options included
• Functional HUD made with uGUI

A massive ready-to-use items and weapons system:
• Functional and animated flashlight
• Flashlight batteries
• Digital camera with zoom
• Night mode for digital camera
• Animated and functional machete melee
• Animated and functional Glock, Magnum and G36K weapons
• Weapons ammos and magazines

Ready to use and easy to customize horror game mechanisms and components:
• Advanced Enemy AI with ragdoll integration
• Functional draggable and normal doors and furniture (cabinets, drawers, doors…)
• Key system
• Healing / Damage Foods and items (First AID Kit and more)
• Switchable Lamps and Lights including flickering system
• Playable Audios (Radios, TVs etc.)
• Functional Security Cameras System (CCTV)
• Jumpscare Triggers (mode: Sound – 2D Sprite – 3D Animated models)
• Healing / Damage Triggers (mode: Constant Damage – Damage On Enter – Instant Kill)
• Camera Broke Trigger (broke the camera when you enter)

And much more:
• Main Menu
• Loading Screen between scenes
• Full C# Source Code

I suppose you're right.

it'd be better to focus on making a mechanically sound design concept with serviceable assets instead of trying to rush a team to produce a bunch of undercooked features. for a horror game especially, you really need a solid foundation before you even think of anything else.
there's really no virtue in doing something poorly simply to prove that you can.

is the exact opposite of what you should be doing. come up with a core mechanic, iterate the shit out of it and then start building complimentary features on top ONLY when they add necessary depth. have all of that stuff solved before you even think about preproduction. until that point, treat assets i.e. monsters, sounds, environments, effects, script, etc as black boxes to be developed later on.

We're now located here 8ch.net/agdg/res/29533.html#29534

I don't think you have any idea what you're talking about. You created a narrative inside your own head then started talking about that narrative. Sorry, but what you wrote has nothing to do with anything involved here.

Having a functional game kit that provides 90% of the game mechanics is the opposite of what needs to be done? lol, ok dude. Well, happy travels. Enjoy your night.

NYPA nygga.

Whats the point of developing a game if its going to be that drag and drop without any custom code?

Ahh, I see we have ourselves a young idealist. Good luck with that.

Your game is going to turn out no different than a generic unity horror game if you keep this up. 2 weeks is alot of time, and with a full team you could make something really great rather than unity first person trash.

Shaking in fear

I'll toss my hat in the ring as a writer. I was a project manager and assistant programmer for a week-long game jam a couple years ago. I'd totally contribute as long as we get at least another writer involved in the event that I'm preoccupied. What exactly do you have in mind for your game, OP? I want to start brainstorming.

Im kinda wanting to join too, as a writer. Though how ambitious could be even be with a 2 week game jam time limit?

Shit wait I could have said

Cool, I put the need for a writer near the top. This is really frees me up to what I do.
So roughly, a generic plot –as of now– is as follows… We have the main protagonist (older father, late 30s 40s?) getting word a group of teens is under attack in a cabin in the woods. He goes up to investigate only to uncover a dark evil (demon spirits, haunted land).

Lots of jump scares.
Fucking McGruff type guy
4k graphics
Dark ambient

Open to your additions.

Now im thinking this is some elaborate troll.

Protagonist can be anyone. Even the teens mother, or a Cop. I don't care. I'm doing all the 3D characters in the game unless someone wants to help.

fam
This is going to fail
What makes you think that you're going to get everyone organized for this horror thing to happen?

Now you're just asking for trouble

Team collaborations are usually unsuccessful , why don't you just ask each user to individually compete in gamejam and make it sort of a contest between members of 8/v/, that way no one holds anyone down.

Either make it low poly or make it a 2d game. High poly 3d is going to look like shit.

I'm not a writer. You asked for something, I gave it. Not my job to write. Build off it, come up with your own plot, or keep walking. I'm all about action, not talking.

Sure

I have a low tolerance for bullshit and blackpills. If someone isn't productive within the first 5 minutes of introducing themselves I usually don't pay attention to them ever again. That simple.
I'm not here to convince you of anything. Honestly, sounds like you need a (((psychiatrist))). I'm detecting baggage.
#notyourdaddy

In the game jam I did, we didn't have any writers so I'm going in blind. I will say, based on my experience, that the game will probably not even be a full hour. We will definitely not even have the time to explain everything even if we know how everything works. How I'd structure it if I were the project manager would be to take the first week developing the plot based on >>13501820 and OP's previous post and then taking the next week worldbuilding.

Alright. I'm going to go to bed now, but I'll start working on it. You're idea might be a bit ambitious for two weeks, so you best get a programmer working on all the mechanics soon.

Who cares? It's a two week project with no strings attached. I don't really have much better to do with my time.

Nah bruh, I've just seen too many team projects fail to have them taken seriously anymore.
And for all we know you might be someone trying to taking all the hard work for yourself and just looking for someone to do it for you.
You sound like an asshat idea guy.

Also learn to post properly or people are going to assume you're some kind of newfag around here

Why don't we just do our own thing individually? Working together is dangerous on a site like this, I don't want to end up with more towergirl fag drama, someone can steal our work and we'll be unable to do anything.

Ok, what abour doing gone home, but good. We can write a plot and shit that is told through journal entries through the house. The real meat of the gameplay would be kinda like silent hills.
As you explore the house and find keys, the house slowly changes very subtly, and near the end new doors show up, doors dissapear, stairs go to nowhere.
There would be enemies too, very sparcely though. We'll give the player a revolver and limited ammo, but also enough movement options to run from the enemies. I dont want the hiding shit, just have enemies stop chasing when they lose you naturally.
It should be fairly easy to make.

Depends honestly. We're using a 3rd player controller in a semi open world environment. This burns time when exploring around between objectives.

Our mission/objective system is complete. We need to attach it to the characters and fill it up with our our writers objective descriptions. This is where you come in.

After you make the plot, and the character bios… most of your time will be writing and coming up with the objectives. In between player objectives will be multiple environment interruptions by hostile demonic faggots like this guy Maybe some boobie traps, a wild bear or two.

The sooner you come up with a protagonist, the sooner I can make it's 3d model. It will take 3-4 hours to make (whatever you come up with)

We dont even know how much experience you have with 3d modeling or coding. Is this your first game or have you ever worked a project like this. This is important info.

If anyone else would like to join the team, speak up now. Currently we have two writers and one 3d artist.

Looking for a programmer to help sow up loose ends.

Why are we even talking about this without a programmer anyway? What programmer is going to want to work on a semi open world unity game?

I'm AAA caliber 3d Artist and quick. 20yr exp

70% of them, why do you ask?

alright i'll bite.
A 25 year old man goes looking for his sister who disappeared during summer camp 2 years ago. The official investigation was useless.
He has short, black hair. He wears jeans with holes on its left knee and a standard black t shirt. shoes are black with white heels and white laces. He has a backpack that he is carrying with him to go look for his sister.

you can have this for free.

Have you ever made a game before? You seem a little overwhelmed. We already established in this thread game mechanics are 90% complete. Worse case we don't need a programmer at all, but will still look for someone to help tie up loose ends or add additions if seen fit.
But yeah, you seem like you've never done this before.

25 is long past the time when he was supposed to start a family. Are we talking numale here? Also, why the hole in the jeans and attention to shoe detail.

you're the 3d artist. i thought you wanted detail.
>starting a family at 25 in current year
you'll be finishing college by that time unless you go to a trade school

It's the same plot I made in 10 seconds only between brother and sister. Also, 25 year old protagonist aren't very believable to play in a rescue scenario. Almost all memorable male protagonist inside film and vidya are between 30-50

Correct. If you haven't by then you're a loser. Your plot would be more 'apt if he was 16 looking for his "sister".
haha
HAHA

Oh, I guess I should have written a disclaimer before starting.

[If you are a homosexual, your not wanted]

I need to make sure to kill myself before I turn 26 next year.

Moving right along. Here's our main protagonist. He's finished and read to be imported. We'll have the player controller hooked up later tonight.

How's the objectives going writers? Got anything good?

Oh ok

It's all about algorithms, or how you implement ideas to make your game work. You can code by hand, but it's not useful to develop a quick project with it because you'll encounter bugs. While it can be good for learning; the less you reinvent the wheel, the more you can focus on the actual meat.

Everything about this thread seems off but I can't put my finger on why

It's like he never made a game before, but wants to tell people how games are made. I don't understand that type of mindset. If I have a question on something, I ask about it. What's the point in being a passive aggressive indirect little faggot in order to obtain the knowledge you're seeking. It's angry little boy behavior and reveals the person has been traumatically abused socially.

You can tell he isn't trolling. He's actually being serious.

This is a 2-week game jam. Not a replacement for your daddy.

For you

hes pretending to be a retarded ideaguy.

Love pissing off the miserable microdick talentless neckbeards and the occasional kike who is triggered by the white man's entrepreneurial spirit. It truly is x2 the reward.

1) get to make a game
2) get to laugh at losers while doing it