Considering how many autistic people there are online who obsess over "Deep" games how come I almost never hear anyone...

Considering how many autistic people there are online who obsess over "Deep" games how come I almost never hear anyone mention I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream? It's pretty fucking deep with all that metaphor shit that authors jerk each other off about but it's also actually a good game.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harlan_Ellison
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I read the actual short story and I think that's enough for me.

The game is better written than the short story and actually has the added bonus of being vidya.

It's pretty good, also interesting that Harlan Ellison the writer of the original short story, actually got involved in the game's development.

Because most of those "Deep" are merely autism magnets filled with brightly colored characters and spastic storytelling which is then overthought by said autists. Your game on the other hand seems pretty neat, might check it out later.

the game suffers deeply from Monkey Island Problem Solving TM

And fucking voices AM and does a great job doing it.

As far as Point and Clicks go it's not too bad. It has a few really bullshit parts (pretty much the entirety of the Jewish scientists stage) but it also has a lot of good puzzles too.

It's pretty decent as a P&C with only a handful of nonsensical or pointlessly difficult puzzles (the doctor's stage sticks out in my memory, as does trying to do the final segment in-order blind) but it had some very solid writing, atmosphere, and aesthetic.

It helps that the original author had a hand in the game, but it's one of those games that is genuinely well written and deserves to be treated with some respect for things outside its gameplay.

Huh. I just assumed it was just a re-telling of the original story with some added fan-goofiness. Basically .

If the original author really did have a hand, and it's as good as you say, then I guess it's really worth checking out. Thanks OP.

I like it, but it's a shame the game lacks the frantic paranoia of the short story.

He's great. For an amateur voice actor his job is a highlight among the standard adventure game intentionally rather mild voice work. I think his reading of the short story should be considered the definitive version too.

Comparing to all the lackluster performances from today's VAs, he really did an excellent job, especially when he does a role call of the characters in the opening.

It was all just a meme joke surrounding non-story games like Dark Souls and FNAF. I bet you thought "deepest lore" posting was genuine.

My childhood was shitty enough without whatever the fuck this is, games were an escape.

It's an adventure game, not many people play enough of them here to be interested in talking about it.

Adventure games aren't usually my bag, but you got me interested in this one OP - anything I should know before jumping in?

Game serves as a sort of sequel to the book of same name, although reading it isn't necessary.
It's an older adventure game, so expect to pixel hunt in some spots or odd solutions to puzzles.
It allows you to play like an asshole, which will affect the ending you'll get.
Vid related is some cut content from the game.

"Deep" games do not refer to plot, but depth of mechanics, i.e. a large variety of options of ways to play the game that are all well-developed and relatively balanced, along with diverse and well-designed enemies/puzzles/bosses/obstacles. At least this is the impression I always got.

Harlan Ellison worked on the video game. He is also a huge faggot. His writing is what stupid people consider "deep". But if that's your bag then have fun.

This. However to give credit where it's due… he did write the episode of Outer Limits that was used as the basis/framework for whoever wrote the Terminator.

Because the autists that make "deep" games are usually people that know very little about subtlety and think adding abstract shit with no meaning or with themes that have been done to death is good writing. Actually deep writing isn't that difficult at all, you simply work from an overarching theme or two, possibly even a few conflicting ones, and then simply work your way down without overthinking everything, twisting and breaking reality should only ever be done if there is no other way, yet people seem to use it for fucking everything since they believe that is what defines how deep something is.

When people refer to something being deep, they generally mean the ideas conveyed and not the gameplay itself, unless specified by saying "deep mechanics".

I've played this and read the book, and I prefer this purely because it has more content. It is pretty aged though, very pixel-hunty, and the UI isn't fantastic, but it's damn good fun when you get to the meat of it.
Where the short story only brushed upon the character's backstories tenfold. I think Gorrister is the one that's favoured the most for his backstory, and because he is genuinely suicidal.
Getting the good end for everyone and with the supercomputers and moonbase is really satisfying after going through it all.

Pretty decent, but not really my style or many others on that regard. Too dark and depressing for my taste.

I saw this game was
It looked interesting, but the thing that always put me off from trying it is the fact that it reminds me a lot of Planescape Torment. Another game regarded as legendary, the problem is that the game is descrived as the best "book" you'll ever play and i have little tolerance for text walls

Because most "deep" games just rely on melodrama and are pretty lacking once you reflect on it. Autists are simply drawn to the characters, nothing else.

This actually sounds a bit like what I'm working on. My problem is I have a few possible themes I could expand upon, but I don't know which to focus on or how much is too much. I don't want to bloat the whole thing with a bunch of half-baked concepts.

Well then either simply touch upon them briefly, in effect adding a reference to the concept, or expand upon it enough to make sense. You don't need to give any extensive mathematical proofs where the idea you are conveying needs to be proven 100% right before you can continue, instead you can provide a decent enough case and allow the person you are presenting it to to make up their own mind, whereby you do not try to railroad them into one particular conclusion. A neat example of this being done would be EYE:Divine Cybermancy, you can see that the writing was an attempt at 2deep4u shit but in the end it is still fairly enjoyable despite the amateur writing because you aren't spoonfed every single piece of the puzzle. Even in the true ending, where everything is revealed, you are still left with unanswered questions and in many cases that is for the better because it allows you to fill the gaps with whatever you feel would make the most sense. Obviously this doesn't mean you should turn everything into an incoherent mess and just bend reality to do whatever the fuck you want, compensating for bad writing by relying entirely on the imagination of the reader/viewer, but a little mystery can never hurt.

Because the kinds that attract hipsters and neckbeard in need of validation are "art" first, and game in the bottom of the list for their developpers.
Same kinda shit you see with devs who want to focus on e-sport before making their game actually fun

Oh yeah, I do have a few ideas with an open conclusion, as well as mysteries that make sense to me functionally but I won't directly reveal since it's not the focus. I feel it could dampen the impact as well. A bit of speculation is fun in that regard, but not necessary to get the idea.
I was mostly unsure which themes I should focus on since I had a handful floating around in my head, some of which are odd fits, but I think I have a better idea of where to take it now. Thanks for the reply, man.

I wouldn't really call it deep, the asthetic is pretty neat though and some sort of surrealism I would like to see more.

In the end though I liked the short story more than the games story

Refresh my memory, it's just a crazy computer, right? Like it got too smart and became psychotic? And it just sort of magically does all this shit because it's super advanced?

Read House of Leaves. If you've read it, read it again.

I really liked his work on Star Wars :^)

What better place to escape to than a hell pit where you actively seek your own suicide at every turn?

You hear about it all the time. It's one of those classic point and click games along with monkey island. At least that's why I've understood it by lurking the interents for many years. I've never even touched the genre yet even I am aware of it.

basically, yeah

Because it's extremely underwhelming apart from two crucial aspects:
Otherwise, everything else about it is really amplifying the original short story with retarded puzzles, they removed the homo part from the retard's story and put in the holohoax and a dindu scientist. The visuals are alright I guess.

It's a computer who was given complete control over the American Nuclear Armament and managed to calculate the outcomes of all possible wars and gain sentience, so humanity just succumbed to it and he kept alive a few of them to torture forever. He can do whatever he wants on them because it grew as sophisticated as to engulf the whole of Earth, but the morale of the story is that no matter what he does he's still a piece of junk whose power is only a crutch to console him from the fact that he cannot be released from its stationary and painful existence. In the game there's also a colony of humans in outer space and for some reason the negress can hook herself into AM after all the others manage to finally kill themselves. It's a retarded plot, but very dark.

It's not deep its disgusting for the sake of being disgusting its a perfect view into the mind of a jew. You do know that the author of "I Have No Mouth, and I Must Scream" is a jew right?

(((Harlan Ellison)))
"Ellison was born to a Jewish family[4] in Cleveland, Ohio, on May 27, 1934, the son of Serita (née Rosenthal) and Louis Laverne Ellison, a dentist and jeweler."
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harlan_Ellison

Here is a pic of the jew sucking on a microphone.

Forgot to unsage from a previous thread my bad

People mention this game often enough. What are you smoking?

When you realize AM is the Author Insert of the SJW author the story becomes some very interesting social commentary that the author probably never intended.

Nimdok did nothing wrong.

People mention this game often enough. What are you smoking?

When you realize AM is the Author Insert of the SJW author the story becomes some very interesting social commentary that the author probably never intended.

Nimdok did nothing wrong.

That's not always a good thing. Wasn't Michael Crichton personally involved in the development of Timeline?

Im porking ur commie waifu atm

agreed

debatable point, game has some cringe and suffers from characters monologuing, although it is an interesting expansion to the setting
eh, it's a trial and error point and click game. not a ton of gameplay in it, more exploration.
i sound like i hate the game, but i don't, it's just that it suffers some from being a product of its era.

fuck off

People are starting to get more and more fed up with Holla Forums shit on other boards and posts like your ironically shitpost(you are being ironic right?) aren't helping.

t. jew

Source? I wouldn't doubt it. The entire chan gestalt is based on contrarianism. When Bush jr. was in the White House the politics on the sites were very liberal. When Obama was elected, the sites that actually took the politics seriously like Reddit and SA stayed to the left, while sites like 4chan realized that they needed to change with the times to keep the lulz coming. That's why /new/ and Holla Forums were so successful, they were the counterculture. Now that we have another right wing president, I can see general opinions swinging to the left. But I can also see the pendulum standing still, mining salt from SJWs and the emotional left is too much fun.

We might have a right-wing President, but society has still degenerated to a disgusting level. When the societal norm is to casually be a narcissistic sociopath, being a decent, upstanding person is still considered counterculture. That's why Holla Forums remains popular.

Holla Forums can't seem to stay on their containment board anymore. I wouldn't worry about it. This is a thread about a SJW tier faggot author's game.

You realize calling everyone Holla Forums when they call you out on saying retarded shit doesn't make what you said not retarded right?

Man it must really suck to be so insecure that you have to defend every retard from your board or else you somehow see it as a personal attack on you.

Lol. Sage cause this (pic related) thread needs to die.

because those people are revealed for the shallow, pretentious hypocrits that they are when they dont buy into good games

I think anyone can watch over the colonists. At least I've done it as the doc.

Go away faggot

Kill yourself so you can reach your peak usefulness as fertilizer.

He wrote the entire script for the game on a typewriter.

Nobody ever said that.

This isn't your board and this isn't your site go away to the shithole you came from immigrant

Reported for derailing.

oy vey

Go back to your craphole containment board, you are to Holla Forums as shitskin immigrants are to America.

Get off this site you don't belong here

Nope.

Yeah get out, go back to the dozens of safespaces you have you dont belong here

Wait, hold the fuck up.
I thought you had to get at least one person killed in the end.
You can get them all out alive?
I lost everyone but one.