Psp thread

what are the must play psp games?

Growlanser Wayfarer of Time

Daxter, a classic platformer with some very nice aesthetics set in a cyberpunk future. One of my top favorite games on the PSP.

Phantasy Star Portable 2 Infinity is probably the only exclusive on the system I'd call a must play. It has a shitton of games that are good, but not must plays, though.
7th Dragon 2020 - a sci-fi, dragon themed, third person, casual Etrian Odyssey. The only challenge is in the post game dungeon. Sequel is a complete rehash and can be ignored.,
Black Rock Shooter - unique, fast paced battle system. Plot has a surprisingly dark tone.
Dungeon Travelers - a competent dungeon crawler that will be much more enjoyable if you've played To Heart 2.
Cardinal Arc (I think this was localized as Neverland Card Battles or something like that) - part of the card based combat fad of the early 2000's, but at least it's not completely child oriented. This game does, however, have the dubious honor of being one of the few games I know of where the Japanese voice acting was bad. Several characters have an extremely phoned in performance (fortunately, not the MC).

流行り神
428〜封鎖された渋谷で〜
Kings Field Additional

System's a godsend for PS1 RPGs, btw. No more getting fucked by a tiny little scratch freezing up an unskippable FMV.

Been meaning to ask, did NISA botch the western release of Black Rock Shooter PSP and if so, how badly? Not that I'm planning to give them money for it, but it's making me wonder if it's worth my time/space to download.

Horrible game, don't bother.

Horrible game on the whole, or horrible English script?

The combat is shit and the story is forgettable bad. It is quite a looker though.

No idea. I played the Japanese version.

I remember seeing a golf GPS attachment or something like that for the PSP in a magazine (might've been Jap-exclusive), does anyone know what that was or what game it went with?

How's the port of Tactics Ogre?

It was for Everybody's Golf Portable/Hot Shots Golf: Open Tee. Only other game that used it was Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops.

Oh cool, thanks user. Do you know anything about it? I vaguely remember reading that you could "scan" in real life courses?

Ace combat X is a really fun flying sim

Some wild charts approach.

Chinatown Wars and Metal Slug XX have best versions on PSP

don't play that turd

At least try, nigger

It's not a port, it's a remake made by the original team and it's very different from the original.

Aside from some class balance issues the gameplay is fine but Story, OST and Art Style are probably the best parts about the game, i say it's totally worth a play-through.

It's called shitposting, don't give them attention.

Both God of War games.
Patapon
Peace Walker
Miku
Taiko no Tatsujin

It's hard to pinpoint shit at least from the top of your head without explaining each pick first for several reasons:
1. portability factor (hint: games are literally better if you are able to play them compared to the ones you, well, can't and that depends on a particular personal situation or preferences);
2. niche just good games (hint: nobody plays those outside of niche die hards);
3. franchise games (hint: nobody plays those outside of franchise fanboys).
Combine that with questionable taste and intellectual capabilities of people who've created those charts it becomes safe to say that there are close to no great games on those and that most, if not all, good games don't stand up to upper(ps2 and up) or lower(ps1 and down) gen competition.

Similarly to the person above I'd question quality of those charts since it looks like they go with mindless approach like for any other console, without addressing those problems.

Stop skirting around the question you fucking fag. Actually name some games which are bad on those lists. There's probably a few duds sprinkled throughout but by and large they're some solid lists, specifically the first image which breaks them down by genre which is very useful.

Charts are for people that are too lazy to research for games to play and majority of those is made by people themselves instead of the community and most of them lack information about specific games.
Also they only have EU/US games and lack nip only games because >japanese is hard XD while most of them being easy to understand without the knowledge of the language.
And also most of this charts are from reddit/4chan in which case im gonna list the games they "recommend" that are pure garbage like:

also

Fate/extra and PS:P aren't great.
HFH and Cladun are only good if you are a fan (niche just good).
Persona 1 is only good because of it's a smt/ps1 inheritance.
Persona 2 is bad.
Plus I don't really like jrpgs so i dunno, but still looks boring.
Most of it looks bad to average, mostly average.
I'd live a room for 3rd birthday, jak and dexter and manhunt.
Since wh40k was so bland and boring I question an entire section.
1. portable fightan in general is not a great idea;
2. western fightans and bleach are questionable choices;

Don't look like they'd beat the originals or games like crash or smb.
Fine I guess, but would probably lose to arcade or emulators.
So, why would anyone bother?
Is the best example of what I am meaning since there are great games(MH, patapon, MGA) that are so good they are out of their respective genre zones and there is casual trash(patchwork heroes, flow, lumines) mixed together. Well there are also just good(or average) niche games(VC2, GEB, MGA) that are there because they are a bit more niche.
Obviously creator was confused and had a problem of consistency with quality or genericness/nicheness while creating the pic.
Is casual trash times 10, but they are also worse times 3 and if they stand in the same pic as tekken 5 for example, then this chart is just all around the place.
A bit better, but still has problems listed earlier, so now I'll focus on the portability problem.
Are the most notable examples of "maybe those are not shit if you get wet from just an option to play those anywhere, but why would you play them otherwise?" with a varying scale for portableness=enjoyment modifier and initial quality. For example mgsp is trash if it wasn't for the p and n+ is pretty gud, but is greatly handicapped by the lower specs required for it to be on this platform.
Shouldn't be a separate entry.
Also, if v2 and v3 are of the same thing then
That either speaks about how little there is going for the psp scene or how little passion the person had for those games while compiling these pics.

And all of that not including just good games that are out of my niche that I'd definitely shit on if I tried them by I a fan.
So in conclusion, why would I bother with RPGs and Strategies when I could download emulator and play confirmed great classics from snes or ps1? Why would I bother with fps, action, racing, shmups, rhythm if I have access to a not handicapped platform that obviously doesn't hold back those genres, especially keeping in mind that psp didn't find financial success in the first place?

I wouldn't say that the people it's purposed for defines the quality and that all charts suffer from the same problems, like psp and shita being an example of charts having platform specific problems they have to deal with.

I don't think there are any circumstances under which Cladun could be considered "good" outside of outright ignorance. Even assuming that the poorly-written dialogue, contradictory tooltips, and occasionally glitchy text are NISA's fault, the game itself is just a mediocre Zelda clone with a speedrunning mechanic and tons of Zelda-platforming that the controls aren't nearly precise enough for.

It's more action min/maxing stats.grinding than Zelda.

I don't understand why you typed this out but you've basically killed all possible credibility in this sentence because you've confirmed that you don't like the genre, haven't played the game, and are basing your judgement based on a presumed video you watched of it. Yet you still feel as though you are entitled to pass judgement on it.

I skimmed the rest of what you said but I notice a pattern where you basically shouldn't be making any opinions on the games in question because you have no experience to speak of. If I had to make a comparison, I'd say you're like a journalist critiquing a game after watching a preview trailer and half of a let's play.

anyone know a good source to buy PSP screens?

some one told me to try Ali Express and I was sent a defective screen
next there was ebay (everything comes from China….again)…and I received another defective screen
one screen had dead pixels and lines through it and the other had dark patches all over it
fug

Holy fuck I don't know if i've ever seen a post that is more lazy yet narcissisticly assumes they're right. If you're gonna be a contrarian at least have the autism to back your point up, as has stated you're killing all credibility by just talking about looking and assuming. Sure there's some shit on there but its a convenient means of seeing a lot of games that have an above average chance of being good.

I'd agree although its not necessarily a wholly bad thing, despite what people like you say here
I hate to defend cuckchan but they're probably gonna have better, if only marginally, opinions than anywhere other than here, and considering that you posted a grand total of 1 game with no explanation where else are people supposed to go for reliable research nevermind the fact that a number of charts, dunno about these ones specifically though, are made by 8/v/ not cuckchan

is there any reason not to play PSP games on ppsspp? Why would I play with a horrible resolution and without the option of 60 fps hacks(even if they may be game-breaking, as said -> optional)

Because emulation is inaccurate shite.

did an emulator touch you in the past

As long as the games run well I can't see why not, my psp is mainly an emulation device itself, I see it as useful only since all versions can be homebrewed unlike the Vita.

I guess the next alternative after that is just getting a broken PSP for parts.
Anybody got a giant iso collection torrent? I'm jonesin' here.

Because I own a PSP, because that emulator was shit when I tried a few years ago, and PSPs were really cheap at the time. Is it actually good right now or is everyone just full of shit yet again?

Last game I played was Street Supremacy, again. Played that a bunch of times. I like these games more than I should. All of Genki's games are ridiculously addictive, and that game is also a little bit different from the PS2 and Dreamcast racers.

If you are cool and have similar (and correct) preferences, that should be a must play. Haven't touched my PSP in a while, though.

You clearly don't like original hardware but I do and I own it so i'm going to use that, the arrogance of emuniggers is incredible.

Wait, never mind. Found one.

The problem with these charts (especially for PSP), is a lot of the library consists of ports of console games, or have had ports to consoles. Nowhere on the chart does it say Trails in the Sky has a superior port to PC, neither does it acknowledge whether Gitaroo Man is better played on PS2 or PSP. For some, having a portable (albeit inferior) version of Peace Walker is good enough to justify, but the chart shouldn't deceive others by leaving that shit out.
Some of the games are better off emulated anyways (or played on hacked vita), since proper use of the right analog can be patched in for games like Syphon Filter and Splinter Cell

The important thing here is most of these charts were probably made before Holla Forums even existed, since the PSP was dead before the first exodus.

Now this is the sign that the chart can be trusted. Truly patrician taste.

The chart is aimed at people that want to play shit on their PSP.

Fair point, i'd definitely agree about TiTS, especially considering 2 and 3 aren't on psp in english anyway and save data can carry over.
I wish people would just choose autistic detail over presentability

Castlevania Dracula X Chronicles
It's probably my most played UMD besides Peace Walker.
I wish it included SNES Dracula X, but still having the remake, original Rondo and the best version of SOTN is a deal.

You better keep it dry, I lost two UMDs to disc rot.

Having MGS 1, 2, 3, and PW all on my Vita is pretty nice. Can even use the second stick in PW which makes it much more comparable to the PS3/360 versions.

I'd like to play shit on my PSP that's worth playing on PSP. Gran Turismo PSP and Me & My Katamari certainly aren't worth playing, yet they are on both charts, along with trash like Silent Hill and Coded Arms

There needs to be a lot more detail on the quality of ports, a wiki would be great but we all know how that shit turns out.

I did that, too. It's nice, except I can do the same on PS3 with consistent framerate, and much better controls

Gran Turismo PSP is missing a career mode, other than that its fine.

Top kek, lad. 360 version shits all over the PS3 version. And you can't take the games on the go with the PS3 either, making it probably the most redundant way to play the games.

Someone else really likes that game?
That's new. I actually think it's better than Super Castlevania IV, but most people say they dislike it because "it's too difficult and you can't whip in all directions" even though that's how the original Castlevanias were. That Dracula fight is oddly enjoyable. Really cruel, but fun. Crouching before you get hit can really save your life, but I don't think many people figured that one out.

I think that would still be the Saturn version. I have been emulating it on SSF pretty well for a long time. That and other games that can't be played on anything else and happen to work well enough on the emulator, like Fighters Megamix. Really need to get a Saturn at some point, though. Maybe I can get a cheap one that doesn't work and fix it. It's a really cool system. I need more space before I buy another console, though. Between gaming and electronics, my room is looking more and more like a hoarder's.

Lots of people do, it's a genuinely good game. I really like IV and it might be my favorite though, but I don't think people compare Dracula X to IV too much, it's mostly comparing it to Rondo.
The whole "it's a bad port of Rondo!" is a thing that mostly started on the internet. Dracula X is completely different from Rondo besides reusing some sprites and having the same controls. The levels are all different, even the ones that are similar like the first level, have completely different assets and design.
And yeah the bosses on Dracula X are pretty fun, I love the necromancer.

Saturn version has really cool extra features, but sadly it suffers from slowdowns and lacks some transparency effects.
I consider the PSP version of SOTN the best one because it runs flawlessly, has the cut content from the japanese version, playable Maria (although different from her Saturn version, PSP Maria plays like herself in Rondo) and original japanese audio with subtitles.
But the Saturn version is still worth playing

How can it be better when it runs and looks worse?

You're definitely not alone in liking X. If I recall correctly, the Japanese version is even harder though, which is just ridiculous.

Nothing about it really bothered me. Some of the effects were weird, but other than that, it was fine, at least on the emulator.

Saturn Maria is definitely cooler, though. Both as a playable character and as a boss (if what I remember is correct, they didn't even use her original boss track (which is fucking fantastic), on the PSP version) That is the main reason why I consider the Saturn version to be superior. The extra areas and items (just a few of them) were pretty neat. There is a red dagger that I used a lot that was pretty cool (no idea what it's called, because I only learned the kanas a few months ago).

I play the Saturn version for the content, basically. After playing SotN easily more than 50 times, it's definitely good to have more stuff to play around with. Whenever I play SotN, I tend to 100% it 4 times. Alucard, Luck Mode, Richter and Maria. Konami should have rereleased the Saturn version on something else, though. And fixed the issues, and added harder difficulties (that feature alone brings the other Metroidvanias to SotN's level or higher).

Castlevania makes my autism hard. You can imagine how much I have played Harmony of Despair after Konami completely killed the series. I actually bough a cheap PS3 mostly for that.

Never heard about that. But now I have to play it.

I played the Japanese version of 3, and that one in particular was much easier, like the Japanese Ninja Gaiden 3. Grant's dagger trivializes the entire game. If I used any continues, I only used one. Of course, I had already played the American version a bunch of times by that point, but still. He is ridiculously good. Didn't even use Trevor after I got him.

You know, I actually think SOTN actually runs better on emulators than on the real hardware, at least the slowdown issues. Not sure.
I own a Saturn so I played it on it (burned a CD-R, the game is stupid expensive)
Anyway yeah it's not an annoyance that really breaks the experience, and it's cool to have these extra areas (as small as they are) and the items. I also love that you can use a 3rd item button, that's really nice.
I still prefer the PSP version for the reasons I mentioned and because I can play it while taking a shit. The whole DXC package has been a great shitter companion, I've beaten Rondo in one go countless times while in the throne.

I like to believe that Saturn Alucard just has a third hand coming out of his back.

Maria and Soma are clearly stand users. JoJo references everywhere.

Me & My Katamari is fun though, once you get past the absolutely horrible control scheme.

This is actually a good point of the charts, I think it would help if there was a PSP exclusives chart, or a chart consisting of games best played on PSP which could include upgraded remakes of older games, and then a more informative chart of games that are multiplat but are best played on PSP.

You might want to see a doctor.

Or perhaps you might want to git gud
he's obviously saying he advances a bit every time he goes to the bathroom
At least I want to believe that
Also >Not beating Chrono Trigger every time you go to take a crap

I can complete Rondo in about 30 min.
Of course I'm not shitting the entire time. I just forget to wash my ass and stand up, I just stay there until I'm done with the game.

The headphone jack on my PSP doesn't work, and I assumed it was completely a hardware issue, but I think it could be something else, because if I plug the audio cable into my PSP first and then into my headphones, it recognizes that it's plugged in during the latter case. Any idea what could be wrong?

As a follow-up to this, I connected the audio from the PSP into the front mic port on my computer as a pass-through and the sound works, but it has this buzzing and chirping as well that can't be ignored.

Project diva 2nd and Project diva extend are the defacto best project divas if you like rhythm genre games.

FFT War of the lions.

It's the horror, playeth the original Playstation version instead, clotpole

stopped reading there

Every thread nigga. Every single psp thread I see you shill this game. I've downloaded it, just haven't gotten around to it. I will one day though

I want to like it, but most of the time it turns out to be shit.
Whatever I have named I have played. Additionally tried ys and it's just not my type!=bad.
P1-2 and cladun I've completed.
From my knowledge tales, kingdom hearts and crisis core aren't particularly great by themselves and would only peek interest in the series's fans, while others would probably be more interested in dissidia.
But that's the point I'm trying to make here , it's hard to come up with a complete chart breakdown because most psp games aren't noteworthy and are in a category "play once and forget" which would only be religiously cleared through by someone who really can't get enough of a franchise\genre which is whole problem on of itself. And I do have indirect experience that let's me speak my opinion outloud confidently - I've digged through at least three 4ths of psp release db searching for gems, games that have something going for them, like a fresh concept or an unique atmosphere and in the end they still turn out to be ugh. And I did that for years.

What I'm trying to say here is that those rhythm games are good, but the true charm of a rhythm genre lies somewhere else shitload amounts of beatmaps, insane customizeability, the feel of an arcade etc. and those portable games for that matter are neither here nor there.
Playing fighting games on psp is a bad idea for many reasons: 1. d-pad and nub are bad for fast precise inputs; 2. fighting games require durable controller which psp isn't; 3. there isn't much point playing them on psp since they are just ports of existing games and the only feasible thing to do with them is practice when you are out, but at that point you'd be better off with a portable pc and spare pads.
Given that the fighting games that are featured with them are actually good and that fighting genre is pretty much dominated by several eastern games series, the combination with previous point makes the choices obviously questionable.
MGSP, GTA, SOCOM - bad
Coded arms, MGSPW, GoW - average
As much as I am a fan of ps1 syphon filter I doubt there is the same game hidden behind the psp titles since omega strain featured really questionable ideas and in the end it was the engine that nailed it in the first place.
Resistance and killzone do they need recommendation? Like they are sony exclusive fps series that are playing it safe which everyone knows.
For others I'd trust him
Look, if one unironically includes gone home or some slenderman unity parody in a horror chart what would you think of it?
See a reply to d17ca2 for context.
Anyone fix me if I'm wrong (since I didn't play through the games I'm going to offer) but would valhalla knights, ff remasters and yggdra union be better options? I'd also include generations of chaos if it wasn't for massive slowdowns and how the game itself takes forever to playout.
I've expected from the current year AAA for lbp to be a dry amputee, but looks like it was breddy gud, until servers got ded.
For everything else, I've never heard them mentioned over-, well, more accurate to say ever, outside of prinny and medievil, the latter being praised more frequently, but the camera is bad and original is just too good.
Locoroco by the logic shouldn't even be there.

For all intents and purposes there are not many shit taste games featured in those charts outside of minis section, but neither are there many great ones, it's just a massive gray area that generally only vidya newcomers tend to visit, and sure, they may stumble upon a good game, but they could have done it the same if they've picked randomly any game from the library, meaning that these charts don't accomplish anything.
And since it's a gray area it will always pop up on imageboards, so at this point to battle them it's better to just create your own list, which I'm slowly getting closer to with each year.

Well, they might not be that good for a start (not many of them that's for sure). They may require some fiddling to set up. And they might have online features that are not available for emu. Other than that ppsspp isn't psp tiers portable or if it is, it's not as comfortable.

How about a person that likes an idea of the unlimited dungeon and doesn't mind grinding to keep up with it. And he also gets rock hard from the customization options.

tl;dr

These charts are shit, because they are mostly filled with not noteworthy games.
And I am trying to fix my horrible attempt of explaining that by elaborating, going from the criticism given.

Oh but your opinion is not fact, that's a fact.

Die in a fire.

Well, that's why I post it here so it gets challenged.

r-rude

nice quads you fucking shitter

Despite your quads, your "opinion" is just speculation because you yourself admit haven't even played most of the games on the list, so your input is about as useful as asking some random faggot on the street who's never played PSP what they think of these games. So just GTFO nigger.

It's a lot like putting MtG:Shandalar on your laptop - not the most exciting game but a ton of content and variety when you need to burn time on a trip or something.

For actual quality, get Yggdra Union and Growlanser. Riviera too if you didn't play it on the GBA, but it's better on that system because they didn't port it right and the lag is insane.

I like Thexder Neo, but that may be because I have a lot of nostalgia for Thexder on the MSX.

It's not just speculation since I've been digging through psp game db for a few years.
One can judge the game by inspecting gameplay footage.
Expecting a game to be great or good by default is retarded and you should've known that if you've been here for long enough, but that's what you are arguing for. If you want to let games you like escape guilt by association do so, because otherwise your opinion on my opinion is as (if not more) useless as you are making mine to be.

Can confirm that I used to see those posted on halfchan before people started moving here in bulk.

While only the middle one has a time of reference, the PC version was released in the west in mid 2014, and at least with the middle one, the last update halfchan did for it was late 2013, so the PC version wouldn't have been available in English yet.

Why do you even have a PSP if you hate everything about?

Stopped reading there

I don't know man, I gave PSP2 Infinity a shot a couple of years back and I don't remember enjoying it all that much.

The Yakuza spinoffs, Kurohyou, are must-plays if you know the moons.

Is this cut content from SOTN? Or is it from something else?

I've never stated that I hate psp, in fact I'm on my way of breaking a second one from the amount of usage it got.
The only thing I'm stating is that past these games
generally you'll be having a hard time scrubbing for beats and pieces to make the console work on its own and those charts are bad at helping you doing so.

Are there other moon exclusives that you'd consider great?

So I found out that buzzing and chirping is caused by it being plugged in to charge. So I tried using the adapter that came with my xperia play to use wired headphones with it, and it made no effect, when usually if it's in a non-xperia play device, it messes things up. There's a corner chipped off of the jack, so I was thinking of taking a cable with a female jack on it, cutting it, stripping the connectors, and soldering it onto the board and having it hang out of the then-empty headphone hole, and while that would fix the problem with the left channel not coming through, I would still need to run it through my computer in order to hear it. Has anyone else ever experienced a problem like this before? I want to know how hard it is to fix, since I have little experience with electronics repair.

Well I can only reccomend what I personally played but I also really enjoyed Narikiri Dungeon X (Tales spin-off/sequel that comes with Tales Of Phantasia X bundled in) and Nayuta No Kiseki which is a pretty fun Ys-esque Kiseki spin-off.

Haven't played and beat all that many PSP games. Princess Crown is pretty nice but I wouldn't say it's a must play.

isnt the edf 2 port for the psp awful because of the framerate?

This game is infuriating and the leveling up is retarded and broken but goddamn it's a good game

gba emulator and crisis core

It's more of an engine problem and at the time there was nothing wrong with it, in fact edf2p brought silly audio dialogues into the action. If you don't have a vita(and don't plan on getting one any time soon) it still holds up since it's a straight port of a great ps2 game.

It was made for the PSP version of SOTN.