Wii eShop closes for good January 31st 2018

After twelve years the Nintendo Wii is losing its online store.
Pour one out for the only place to get that excellent Excitebike reboot that no one but me played.

You don't own your games.

There's a way to backup your wiiware games and play them on Dolphin, yes?
jan 31st is my birthday

Literally everything on the Wii shop channel has been "backed up" on torrents at some point or another. The issues is if people are seeding them or not.

Now's the time for people to get their asses in gear and make sure every "title" on the Wii shop channel is properly preserved.

why do i always forget that piracy is an option…

Well now you can just download wads on your wii or wii emulator, can't you?
Though I must admit, the Wiimote was pretty damn great as a NES controller.

Thankfully everything is already backed up.

…Feel like playing that Excitebike online?

The Wii shop was my first lesson never to trust Nintendo with anything that isn't firmly attached to something physical. I was excited and bought 20€ worth of points back when the Wii was new, only to find out that there was no account system and the purchase was tied to this one specific console for all time.

What really gets me are the idiots who defend this practice. They will tell you "you can just send in your old Wii and the games will be transferred"; yeah sure, they will certainly provide that service for free when the warranty runs out or when the successor console is released. The only people more cucked where those whose response to the XBox 360 being a piece of shit that' always breaking was to buy a second one.

I got some more Wii shop points for free from doing the ambassador thing with some people, but I never spent any more money on it. It's amazing how out of all the console manufacturers Nintendo is the one who have been dabbling with online way before everyone else, but even after everyone and their mother got it figured all out Nintendo still can't get it right. What the fuck is going on over there?

Fanboys will defend anything their corporate gods do.

One of the things that got me excited for the Wii in the first place was a return to more "traditional" gaming, but that never really happened, outside a few titles.

No one knows. What works is already proven and has been iterated over several generations already. Nintendo just has to implement a party and voice chat system like on PSN or XBL and everything is fine, add some Nintendo spitshine on to it like awarding people gold stars instead of trophies or points for achievements, but no, they went completely fucking bananas with this phone app thing.
The thing is they could have completely circumvented the whole "but kids shouldn't speak to strangers online!" thing with their fucking parental controls app they were showing off and have forgotten about since launch. Just have the online service opt-in, not on by default, via the parental controls app, that also lets parents set who the kids can talk to and whatever.
Fucking bass ackwards Nintendo.

Who?

THAT'S WHY YOU'RE STILL A KID

Speak for yourself, snipcock.

Nintendo closed their multiplayer services long time ago, since then I stopped giving a damn about the Wii.

I should really go back and finish my old Xenoblade file. That game was fun, I just burned out since I'm typically a 100% completionist and it felt like the quests in that game were never-ending. I think I spent 12 hours just in that city of living acorns alone.

The Wii eshop was only selling the migration tool for free at this point, so you'll pretty much have to pirate WADs at this point to add channels. Also, use RiiConnect24 to re-gain the WiiConnect24 functionality.

Ya tried a little thing called Wiimmfi?

Yeah, there's a Homebrew program to dump all your wiiware. Pretty sure it's the same one to dump wii gaems. I'll go dig my wii out of my shed and see what it's called to help you buddy

I think it might be CleanRip but I'm not 100% sure, since I haven't dumped my files in forever.

Just use NUS Downloader and nab anything you think is interesting as a wad. The only things that aren't available for such download are VC titles (apparently they're compiled the moment they're downloaded and installed and this can't be done by NUS Downloader) but you can find the VC titles and VC injects easily.

It's going to be a complete fucking shitshow when PS3/360 lose their stores because piracy isn't nearly as good for those consoles.

Last I checked, 360 games are at least not stored on a different server, not sure how the situation is with PS3 but I know the actual storefront and download server for PSP was stored elsewhere and was lost.

It's not piracy if you can't play it otherwise.

I mostly use my wii to run emulators and play with my GameCube controller.

That's how I see it, too.

Same.

I'd get a hard drive for my Wii, but I don't really care about it. I'd like to, but eh.

You fucking test monkeys will never learn. This is why PC fags are the master race, I have to give it to them. But even that's a very small crowd, relatively speaking.

I can't seem the find the post you're referencing with the piracy claim?

Post your favorite version of the Wii Shop theme

When can I turn my Wii U into a sweet PowerPC workstation.
Or my Xbox 360?

Where did you see this date? All the articles I'm seeing say Jan 31 2019.

It is actually piracy and against the law, the holder of a copyright has the right of first sale which includes the refusal to sell. I'm not going to begrudge someone for infringing copyright to just enjoy it but it's far from right.

It is actually piracy and against the law, the holder of a copyright has the right of first sale which includes the refusal to sell. I'm not going to begrudge someone for infringing copyright to just enjoy it but it's far from right.

Post celebration music.

Last time I checked NUS DLer didn't compile anything.

My flash drive that holds every good Wii and GC game would bet to differ

But those can't all fit on just one flash drive!

OOOY VEYYY!

You mean legal.

OY VEY HOW DARE THE GOYIM NOT PAY THE SHEKELS (((WE))) ARE OWED?!

QUICK WHAT'S THE BEST GAMES I CAN BUY WITH A $20 WII CARD
preferably stuff not emulatable on a psp

Contra and Castlevania rebirth.

The Konami Rebirth games.

Here are some of the games exclusive to WiiWare:

I forgot about a few other titles. There's half of Shin'en's catalog which includes:

And, here are a few other WiiWare exclusives:

Anyone got a WAD of water warfare? Wanted to check it out a few years back but forgot

is that so?

No idea, user. Maybe this will help remind you.

Just buy an old iBook or eMac

Everything but VC titles are stored as wad files same as anything else, it's the VC titles that're weird loose-files that're compiled and installed on-site. Yoshi's Story downloaded through NUS saves as this regardless of your pack-into-a-wad setting.