Games that aged like a fine wine

Are there any games that still to this day hold up?

Bonus points if you can play it vanilla and still have just as much fun.

Other urls found in this thread:

loveroms.com/download/super-nintendo/super-metroid-ju/12769
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Skyrim.

Fuck off Todd

I'ma say MechWarrior 2 Mercenaries

Galaga has more satisfying enemy patterns and sound effects than many games to this day.

If anyone says otherwise, they're fuckin' lying.

Congratulations, you like alcoholic juice but past the expiration date.

NFS Most Wanted and NFS Underground 2

How old are we talking?
Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory is 12 years old. Its controls are superb, and it plays extremely well even today.
Link to the Past is 26 years old, and feels like it hasn't aged a day. It has a timeless, classic feeling. The only part of it that's dated is the soundtrack; it's well-written and memorable, but the instruments are too synthetic-sounding by modern standards.
Those two are probably my favorite games.

Congratulations, you're a huge wet blanket who can't appreciate the finer things in life.

SimCity 3K is still a fantastic game

Wine is disgusting.

Yoshi's Island
Viewtiful Joe
Sonic & Knuckles I don't like Sonic the Hedgehog 3 nearly as much

I agree. Also SotC has some of the tightest mechanics and character physicsout of any game i've ever played and solid stylized visuals.

My nigger.

What about sonic 3 & knuckles? I miss super tail's birdies.

*tips fedora*

I recently played half life and 2 back to back, and the first is the one that felt the most right gameplay wise.

Don't talk about shit you don't know anything about, swine.

It's just that it's got this nasty musky taste. Whiskey and vodka are so much better imo.

got 'em

Have you tried playing that recently? The gameplay has aged like hot trash, doubly so if you've tried any Tales of game that released since 2008

You're ruining that insult for when we need to insult atheist edgelords, you gigantic faggot. Grow some tastebuds.

Bad wine tastes bad. Get good wine, enjoy good taste. Reds will tend towards heavier tastes, so maybe avoid them, steer towards whites. Rieslings are amazing, if they're not from a shitty "winery". They're more of a dessert-y white, and I can't imagine anyone not being able to like them. I personally like Chenin Blanc with certain dishes. Chardonnay is almost always cheap shit around my area, though I'm certain nice ones exist out there. Whiskey is very nice, though vodka is a big fat nothing tastewise IMO (unless it's one of those flavored watkas).

Also I forgot this one fucking MASTERPIECE of a game.

You're derailing your own thread.

You're just continuing to prove you're an underage queermo. Keep trying though, it amuses me.

It's not my thread, though. Check IDs TORfag.
ANYWAY. I would add Okami to the list, because even though the combat is a little wonky everything else about it is pretty much timeless.

I'll keep that in mind and try some whites when I get the chance. I only listed vodka as good because it's an efficient way to get drunk, not for the taste. Whiskey is top tier in both departments though.

You're right. My bad.

Games don't age.

When people say they "age" they really mean they can't get acclimated to the camera and controls that were industry standard at the time of a game's release but have since changed. Side-scrolling games tend to "age" a lot better because there's no camera to worry about and moving a character from left to right and jumping is as easy as ABC, 123, Do Re Mi.

Not just camera and ontrols, but graphical standards and pretty much any other quality whose standards changed over time.

Holy fuck dude, I'm speechless.

been playing back to nature on emulator for weeks now. such a great game. ann is best girl

Is this bait?

dude…. you have to be 18 to post here. this post made my day tbh

you're just asking what the good games are. any actually "good" game will stand the test of time

Some seem better as the years pass, either because you got more acclimated to the quirks of the game, or perhaps because you grow to appreciate them more in light of the trash being peddled to us now. Maybe both.

I noticed that a lot of mostly sixth gen games had a ton of polish and little details that I just took for granted back then.

Also Max Payne 2, Half Life and Super Metroid**

DUDE WINE LMAO

Too many to list. Might as well call it "Good Game Thread".

I have played Budokai Tenkachi way too fucking much, though. Hundreds of hours even after unlocking everything. Just fighting against AIs.

You're actually right. With each passing year i appreciate skyrim more and more. Setting is top notch, atmosphere is amazing, quests are epic, generally its an incredible piece of work. It just requires 200 mods to truly experience it in a right way.
Jokes aside its just gaming is so shitty, i have to put up with skyrim so i will at least have my hobo mushroom collecting shield smashing grindan. And morrowind is too old for that.
Maybe when next TES going to be worse than skyrim, then Holla Forums will actually appreciate this game and find it amazing. Just like they love oblivion right now.

If you play it with a gamepad, your movement is still limited to 8 directions, rather than being truly analog. That's why I didn't play very much of it. Also, it's basically the same gameplay as the original Max Payne, which is fine, but nothing to write home about.

epin meem friendo

Super Metroid feels particularly relevant to thread topic in light of Nintardo pulling Amiibo-locked DLC shit recently (and the Other M debacle). The only thing I could ever fault Super Metroid for was the way diagonal aiming worked with the SNES pad, and once you got used to it it was fine.

You can mod Morrowind to be better than Skyrim ever will be, user.

Todd is making two games before he does another TES game, which means we won't see another main Elder Scrolls game until about 2025.
I see mostly mixed opinions on Oblivion, with some people hating it and others thinking it's OK. It's far from loved on Holla Forums in general.

Well, where's my extensive combat AI, actually hitting combat moves and archery physics? There's a reason i play this shit.

reminder that the closest DBZ has come to being as good as BT3 since is shaping up to be FighterZ

Disgusting
Who gives a shit? You barely notice it and Max still controls like butter in the well designed levels.
It has improvements like Bullet Time on another key besides the Jumping Bullet Time and being able to fire while laying down after a Jumping Bullet Time move.

Oblivion and Skyrim are shit and there are better sanbox games, fuckoff Todd.

True, but its still 2D though, won't scratch the same itch unfortunately.

You'll get over it.
Me.
I noticed it quite a lot, and found it extremely annoying.

Still has the best loot tables ever, still has really good 2D art, still has an incredible soundtrack.

No, I bought and played ehe PS2 version of Max Payne 2 after playing it on a friends computer.
Aiming and walking feel off on analogs
Then played it on KB+M like intended you faggot

Meph, Pindle, Baal, everyone else basically doesn't matter
Concept art was really awesome, yes, but in-game CGI-ish stuff is kind of meh
Yes

"You'll get over it," was a more diplomatic way of saying, "Fuck off."
So you're admitting that I was right. Playing it on a gamepad does feel wrong, because you have 8-directional (rather than analog) movement.

Yeah, but it still feels fine playing it on KB+M, like it was intended.

They prerendered the models and took screenshots to make sprites. The environments look amazing, like a baroque painting, and if you disagree with that I have strong misgivings about your taste. It makes the humans look kinda eh sometimes, but the style was really great for all of the unnatural monsters.

MP2 was always thought of as a multiplatform.

user, I…

Kirby's.
Air.
Ride.

Agreed there, actually.
This is mainly my issue. You spend a fair chunk of the game seeing and interacting with human characters (mostly in the towns, obviously) and they look ever so slightly off, mostly in how they look as they move (the way the barbarians in Act V toddle up the slopes robotically and the way henches move and so on). I liked Acts II and III most for look (though Act III was kind of a pain to navigate due to the rivers everywhere and parts of Act II feel kind of bland, the town is great and the crypts look good). I do think most monster sprites (and certain other characters like Tyrael) look really good, though.

I'm happy for you. That's not relevant to my point, and never was.

Games do not "age". If you try to say that a game has aged all you are really saying is that you lacked the taste or insight to recognize a bad game when it came out.

How do you tolerate the fucking trash isometric control scheme?

Riesling is very near sangria and Boone's Farm as the Kool-Aid of wines. You sound like you don't have much taste to speak of yourself.

Git gud bitch

I think it's more about how relevant or acceptable they remain in zeigeist. Ideally, developers would gravitate to good ideas, and bad ones would be filtered out over time. This isn't always the original dev's fault, as ideas that are known to be bad now might have been necessity with the limitations of the day, or better alternatives just hadn't been invented yet.

An example of artificial retention of a bad idea would be the entire MOBA genre, where morons decided that an action game can work fine with an RTS' control scheme because the first one was a modded RTS and used it by necessity.

Standards do change with time. When a feature is new, and developers and gamers haven't figured out the best way of doing it, there's a wider range of acceptable implementations. Over time, as best practices emerge, that can change.
For example, tapping A to run in GTA. It wasn't considered unusual in the early games, since the idea of a dedicated sprint toggle wasn't widespread at that point. These days, that implementation is generally considered annoying at best.
There was some early game (I need to look up which one) that was slammed because it used the left thumbstick to move and the right thumbstick to manipulate the camera, and this was considered unusual and annoying at the time. If you're ignoring the fact that context and expectations change over time, you're either very young, or autistic.

Would you notice a poop if it was equally spread across a mountain of sugar?

They technically don't age, but games are made by humans, and human tastes age. So it's fair to say that a game made for an audience with different tastes years ago hasn't aged well.

It's really just an intellectually bankrupt way of saying "this hasn't been improved yet".

I am good at Harvest Moon games, got the party picture in HM64, I just can't get past the fucking retarded controls in BtN.

It doesn't. It's timeless and perfect
the only one who could use a remake is Fusion now, since AM2R perfected Metroid 2

Does anyone have a rom for this?

Fusion doesn't need a remake either, it just needs to run at a higher resolution so you can see shit ahead of you.

A lot of GBA games are like that. The Megaman Zero games suffered from Megaman 7 Syndrome pretty badly.

loveroms.com/download/super-nintendo/super-metroid-ju/12769

There you go.

How did ancient people discover things like wine, beer, cheese and all this fermented stuff? They must have left something to rot, forgotten about it… and then try to eat it when they find it, that's stupid.

Regular Half-Life is shit. Opposing Force is, and always will be the best Half-Life.

m8 we've had billions of years to figure shit out. Even a chimp can learn sign language given enough time.

That cat has an eye infection and the asshole would rather take a pic of himself flipping it off instead of taking it to the vet?

I agree, good game design is timeless. I think when people talk about games aging badly they just refer to graphical fidelity at worst and maybe technical limitations at best. Draw distance in old games could be an example of this. Do the enemies just pop-in jarringly at random distances, or is there some kind of fog gameplay reason that covers it up gracefully? When people say a game has aged badly it most likely was bad to begin with and people failed to realize it.

Then again, I suppose there are some games that do actually age. Long running MMO's with decades of expansions could be considered games that age.

This looks shopped. I can tell from some of the pixels and from seeing quite a few shops in my time.

Can someone tell me what's good about this game? I played it and it's just muh generic psychological horror with a little girl running around in dark areas mixed with killing generic bad guys.

It's an FPS where you can Falcon Kick.

Maybe not when you're eating it but you'll be vomiting soon after.

doesn't need a remake, but i'd love an expansion pack

look up "disc rot"

Behavioral modernity is only about 50,000 years old. That's still a long time, though.

I appreciate old memes.

oblivion sucks because cyrodil sucks. it's just miles of generic forest land. i would honestly not visit if it were a real-life location. i have better scenery in my own back yard. vvardenfell and skyrim otoh would be amazing to visit as a tourist

probably responding to bait, but I think it's really important to point out that this absolutely is not true. games are released in a given chronological context surrounded by a given culture and industry. as the culture and industry move on with the chronological context, the perception of the game will change, since the game remains unchanged. it's pretty simple stuff.

the best example I can give is Final Fantasy VI. when it came out it was fucking godlike, one of the most amazing games of all time. going back and playing it now is agonizing because it's a product of its time and it just doesn't hold up. the proto-wavetable audio of the SNES is terrible when compared to FM synthesis from years before its release, the visual effects (which seemed incredible at the time) now look lazy and basic compared to more creative titles on the same hardware, the writing comes off as incredibly bland in parts and ridiculously melodramatic in others, and the gameplay itself is just shockingly dated.

there's a reason they don't make this kind of game anymore.tina is still mai waifu what I would give for an FF7 Remake-style remake of FF6.

Do you still play Chaos Theory? Does the PC online multiplayer still work? I know you can use a LAN tunneling service on the Xbox but I sold mine years ago.

For shame Holla Forums

Yes. I replay it every year.
I have no idea, sorry. I never got into the multiplayer much.

Hey user, are you angry about the best version of Double Agent being stuck on XB?

also this

Not really. I do think the 6th-gen version is a little better, but I think people online usually overstate the difference in quality. Also, the Xbox 360 is compatible with the 6th-gen version, so it's not even really "stuck" on the original Xbox.

Yay viruses.

My brother of African descent.

Thief.

Why?

Probably played it back in the day?

Just talked about this with an user but Fire Emblem (Rekka no Ken/Blazing Sword)
Fucking amazing and I only played it a year or two ago

Budokai 1 is still very very fun too, especially if you have a brother or friend to play with.

Chrono Trigger as well
Lots of the final fantasies
Starcraft 1 (a bit clunky for the UI but still very gratifying)
A LOT of metroidvanias still work very well, but its best to play them on the original hardeware; phones and computers aren't the best for platforming; I still love Shaman King: Master of Spirits
There were some beautifully designed enemies, bosses and levels for a game like this on the gameboy, and a massive dearth of skills to learn

Valkyria Chronicles is nearing a decade-old now so does that count? Its a fine game too.

It was a choppy ugly ass port even in 2003. The PC and Xbox versions were far better. MP2 is a fine game but it was butchered on PS2.

Yeah but how does that change what I said? If that was all you had back then well… Then again MP2 had some really detailed interiors and needed a beefy card to run at max settings and decent res when it came out.

Are you for real? Chaos Theory was 2 games in one: single player/co-op and versus. They used different engines, and while the former was extremely well done and polished, the versus mode is what kept me coming back and causes this game to be an enduring nostalgic memory. Nothing has topped this game since release because of the versus mode. It and Pandora Tomorrow have the definitive cat and mouse gameplay that no other series has even attempted.

I am. I'm well aware of CT's multiplayer, and I've played it sporadically. I also completed the co-op campaign two or three times. But I don't go in for multiplayer much in general. I can't remember the last time I played an online game.

If you played the PS2 version then you played a shit version that hinders how it was played. I played that version first and thought it was horrendous. When I played the PC version it was like a night and day difference. The PS2 is barely playable.

I still play these games from time to time.

Myst: Riven i suppose.

The first Sonic was flawed but it still aged well unlike what those numales said. Majority of the opinion that classic Sonic was never good to begin with is instantly rendered null when you realize none of them ever roll which is necessary to keep the momentum and speed while getting rid of enemies in the way. The reason why Sonic 1 wasn't completely perfect was that future games incorporated more levels that focused more on the mechanics instead of half being normal platforming level design(Marble Zone and Labryinth Zone). I feel like 3 was the full realization of classic Sonic gameplay at least besides Mania.

Spyro 3 has not aged as well as the first two. That skateboard and Bentley's face says it all. Insomniac were trying to figure out what kind of game they wanted to make next, so Spyro 3 ended up as a testing ground for a bunch of gameplay prototypes, and the winner was Agent 9 becoming Ratchet. I can easily and happily replay Spyro 1 and 2 any time, but I have to force myself to replay 3 because I don't want to play as any of the other characters (except Bentley, smashing stuff with his club is kind of fun).

just started replaying it

OpinionsLebowski.webm

Alcoholic drinks were either discovered by necessity or we had to condition ourselves to drink from them. Turns out getting potable water can be very difficult at times when you don't have things like wells. Most European cultures had long periods of time where they had to survive entirely by drinking booze (not that strong usually mind you) or risk dying of thirst. The cool thing about booze is that it is technically rotten fruit, but since theres alcohol in it, it does not get infected with harmful organisms.

Still playing these from time to time.

You're all degenerates.
If they just re released this and added online it'd make a killing

I really hope people who don't play video games go away soon.

Not sure about that. It's got that wonky turning thing going on. Most of the time, you'll jump blindly to escape a fast enemy or certain boss projectiles to readjust for a quick turn to face them only to jump blindly again to dodge the next quick attack. Fine once you get used to it, but not something I'd call perfect.

Shining Force is still as fun now as when I was 8. Turn-based games is kind of cheating though.

DMC holds up
I thought the fixed camera would bug me but it was fine

Sangria isn't even a WINE. It's whatever shit reds they have left at the bottom of the barrel, mixed up with fruit juice and brandy and sometimes lemon-lime soda.

That said, it's pretty damn tasty and will steamroll someone like a Long Island because it doesn't taste as alcoholic as it actually is. Made properly the addition of brandy will kick a ~14% alcohol red to 18-20%, and it will be sweeter than the wine it was made from.

t. someone who actually has worked at wineries

I played it last year and its aged just fine. The only thing lacking from it's combat that other Tales games have is the ability to free-roam. While I'm not happy about it's absence, I'm otherwise fine with it. Free-roaming makes Tales combat a little too easy most of the time.

The camera is quite fucky and definitely the one aspect that aged poorly, alongside the platforming on tight spaces (not AS bad but still not as good as it could be), but overall this game is absolutely fucking amazing nowadays.

The humor isn't forced and is paced nicely, well balanced with serious moments. The music and atmosphere are still phenomenal and definitely outshine most shit nowadays.

You never pressed down while going down a slope?

Don't stretch Silent Hill like that you moron

Lol

Can't believe I had not played this until a couple of months ago.

Wine don't let me down.

I remember that game. Didn't Arino play it?

Remove plebs

Spyro 3 gave me Donkey Kong 64 vibes with the obnoxious amount of mini games and noticeable lack of comfy platforming, and I fucking hate Dong 64.

It's a Super Nintendo game.

Fugg. Also contributing.

Oh, it is? I saw a collection on the steam store that was like three games, so I assumed it was a PC game originally.

Oh, it is? I saw a collection on the steam store that was like three games, so I assumed it was a PC game originally.

Better every year.

Chaos Theory was fuckin great and I haven't played it in a while but it's lightyears better than the recent offerings.

I'd say Castlevania SOTN has aged pretty well and is still very enjoyable. I replay it every year right around now.

Yeah quake is really fun. I played it for the first time last year and I don't get these fags saying it's dated. Really good atmosphere too, a shame single player was ditched since 3.

And I forgot to mention Painkiller Black although its not that old. Still one of my favorite FPS

It even still gets FMs made.

Guild Wars was and still is pretty unique. It's a shame it's something that will probably never be made again.

I first played Soldier of Fortune 1 last year and I'm still pretty damn impressed by it. For it's time the gore must have been revolutionary, but even now I can't think of a game that does dismemberment quite as well as this game.

I'm gonna second Painkiller. It's true that it's not that old but I still think it's the best shooter People Can Fly/FWH have ever made. The only thing really holding it back are the bosses in my opinion, most of them are just shitty to fight even though they're huge and some of them are downright annoying and not fun.

Goodbye Galaxy is the best

no other game, specifically MMO did skills the way GW1 did them.
looking back Mtg really did inspire the game and a lot of the lore too.
Places in the mists are essentially planes, you've got planeswalkers in Lord Odran.

The bloodstones and the gods pretty much match Magic's colors in color and/or flavor

I still enjoy this, to this day.

Mein niegger

New Vegas is the Citizen Kane Brunello di Montalcino de Videōgæms.

It's in no way comparable to Donkey Kong 64 which had awful level design. Spyro 3 was a very seamless game and every "minigame" felt polished enough to be completed easily and just junpt straight onto the next stage. I'm honestly shocked to see negative reactions to this game, literally first time I see that, personally I find Spyro 1 to be a bit barren.

Still lovely.

I've always enjoyed RPGs that focused more on systems rather than number management. They usually end up playing a little like card games because of that. GW1 isn't an exception, your skill bar is your deck and the skills are your cards. It was fun to hunt for skills, as well. It's a shame I didn't get to play when it was still active, I would have liked to play the various PvP formats.

Quake still plays well, but I thought it was dated because it didn't really do anything that wasn't done better by more modern games, specifically Unreal and Half-Life. The atmosphere and soundtrack are still fantastic though.

It does something better than, Half-Life. NO STORY

Unreal had a story too, but I don't mind in those two games because it isn't obnoxious.