Was Kojima just covering his ass?

ITT: Did Kojima make MGSV about the concept of Phantom Pain because he knew it was over-ambitious and would likely have to be released unfinished? So he used phantom pain so that if it ever released in a pre-mature state he'd just be defended by fanboys claiming "B-but that's the point! It's SUPPOSED to feel unfinished!" ? It's something I think about whenever I see a stupid fanboy claiming that it's blatantly unfinished state is supposed to be some kind of avant garde artistic gesture by Kojima. The whole thing just seems like a preemptive attempt to deflect criticism and not like Kojima actually wanted to dive deep into phantom pain as a concept.

Other urls found in this thread:

gamesradar.com/mgs5-unfinished-s-entirely-point/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Maybe.

Dubs confirm, the possibility is there

I highly doubt Kojima made a game just to spite people. If he did he wouldn't have delayed it.

It's pretty clear given how much detail the game has in a handful of areas (like how polished much of the gameplay is) he wanted to make a really good game he was just too ambitious with it.

Regardless of that if that was even his goal it backfired since fans of the series didn't like the game and it really only appealed to newcomers.

It's not that he made it to spite people. It's just that I suspect he may have made the theme of the game about phantom pain to save face if it didn't get finished. Because he probably knew Kikenami was going down the shitter, that his project was very ambitious and that Kikenami would probably sabotage the development and make him release it unfinished.

Kojima is a hack with an over inflated ego who took the credit for other woman's writting
BUT
he was sick and tired of making MGS
Half of what was wrong with MGSV is Konami's fault
the other half is Kojima's
But at least more than half that what was wrong with Kojima when he made MGSV was ALSO Konamy's fault
So yeah, Kojima may be a fucking hack but the dumpster fire that is MGSV is not his fault or at least most of his fault

it was unfinished
There is almost zero difference between what was released and what was shown initially at its e3 debut.

The best parts of Phantom Pain are why it failed. It was an amazing game engine with an autistic level of detail put into everything the team had thier hands on. The problem is that they used so much money halfway through the game with Konami having to pull the plug because at that time they weren't sure it would sell. They were wrong but hindsight is 20/20. I think Kojima's ambition is admirbal but if he didn't expect the carpet to pulled out from under him after all that time and money he is a fool.

What pisses me off is all the shit they planned to do and how they were going to have a mission maker using the Fox Engine. That shit would of made the game immortal along with some of the planned locations making my dick diamonds.

He was just #TakingAKneel

Things i agree with:
-Konami dropped Kojimbo because they seen how this game never will bring back their investments
-Kojimbo would fuck up the story harder if Konami didn't shoot him down
-The Fox engine would be wasted with Kojimbo anyway… his departure didn't change jack shit

Things i can't agree with:
-Kojimbo pulled the "it's meant to be unfinished" despite he already pulled this with Ground Demo Zero
-Kojimbo had great plans with the Fox Engine
-The game would explain everything if Kojimbo would have a chance to finish it

Tell me more. All I know is they were gonna have a small mission-exclusive island for their lord of the flies mission and that there you were supposed to be able to return to the Ground Zeroes island.

Maybe Kojima should have spent less time hiring washed up celebrities and wasting resources in fancy mocap and making a full game instead.

Kojima wanted to stop making MGS since MGS2. He even tried to wrap up everything in MGS4 so that there would be no more sequels and he could move on to something else, but he kept getting trapped into MGS by Konami. Then Kojima realized what he had to do to escape the cycle: piss off Konami. Thus he went on to waste as much money as humanly possible on a game that could never be finished, making Konami increasingly pissed until they realized Kojima never intended to finish the game. This is when they had a fight and became mortal enemies. Konami separated Kojima from the team to prevent him from adding more stuff, cancelled his other projects and ordered the team to wrap up whatever they had up to that point, they were going to release unfinished and hopefully make something service-oriented from the online in order to salvage the project. Konami angrily scrubbed Kojima's name from everything and released the unfinished game, the rest is history.

The game is called Phantom Pain because Kojima knew how this would end, because his goal was to kill MGS once and for all, leaving behind a maimed game to attain his own freedom.

From what I have read there was a city planned and a few more locations with it probably going to MG1 but thats speculation on my part.

If I remember right they were still very much within budget but simply took too long. Comparatively there were games that cost much more to make and didn't have an extremely well made engine made alongside it. Konami sabotaging the development cost them more money than it helped as well.
People were mad at Konami but I think everyone forgot they've always been flighty as shit. They've killed other cashcows like Team Silent before and tried to get cheaper devs to work on the IP, which resulted in all the horrible sequels. That's exactly what they're doing with MGSurvive, they didn't learn.

Everyone also seems to forget pachinko is a super popular business amongst the yakuza. Yakuza don't think long term.

Nah, he just fucking sucks.

That would have been great. I remember that my biggest hope for Phantom Pain pre-release was for the ending to be Solid Snake infiltrating Outer Heaven.

This is basically a less autistic and more detailed version of my theory. Good job

This is the most idiotic theory I've ever heard. He has never shown any such lack of confidence in his work. He still delivered on a staggering amount of content despite the game's rushed state. I'm going to assume its the thing that has happened dozens of times in the industry already; auteur gets a few titles under his belt and thinks he's hot shit, then overestimates himself. Based on the unfinished product, Konami probably should have let him finish it though.

>I remember that my biggest hope for Phantom Pain pre-release was for the ending to be Solid Snake infiltrating Outer Heaven.
If only

Kojima still has a starry eyed reverance for Hollywood. Its the reason the Metal Gear franchise exists to begin with, it is literally spy action movie the game.

user I am not a fanboy of Kojima but it's clear that its the point.
you actually think it's unfinished
>>>/reddit/

Shut the fuck up about Kojima until we see if Death Stranding is worth a shit.

So, never? :^)

The reason he was forced to rush the game was because of a change in the administration of Konami, all this "he took too long and it was too expensive" is bullshit he was charged with making an engine that would also be the new devkit for Konami (which they axed out of butthurt that fans didn't like what they were doing). Then a change of heads occurred and the new head of Konami wanted to go pachinko Kojima disagreed and he got the axe.

but I'm actually serious. Only redditors actually obsess about getting a "True" ending. Say what you will about Kojima, I am genuinely not a huge fan because I remember MGS2. The guy has been rather explicit with his hatred of the Metal Gear Series after a while but the fanboys are insatiable. MGS2, 4 & 5 was deliberately a "uck you" to the fanboys who would never be satisfied. Eli was a parody of the spoiled brats who demand more and more MGS. Likewise, I personally have always hatted story in video games and "cinematic" games, So for MGS5 to be 99% game play and the story essentally being a big "fuck you" to the lorefags has been nothing but music to my ears. Listen to the Tapes.

gamesradar.com/mgs5-unfinished-s-entirely-point/

Who cares? Somebody likes your work. For Kojima to make fun of them is honestly childish, although I don't think the way he manifested it was too demeaning. He can either get Konami to change their mind or fuck off and do something else. Kojima was obviously torn between the popularity/money he was getting for MGS and his desire to do something else. Taking that out on your fans is pathetic. I like Kojimas games but the guy is a fucking manchild, though not to the degree of hyper losers like Tim Schafer.

Kojima has been making fun of his fans sense 2001. At some point the fans are merely asking for the abuse. Kojima has wanted to work on a new franchise for over 16 years but Konami keeps contacting him for a new metal gear game. He even made Snake old and dying intentionally in hopes to kill off the series forever. The "taboo" that Kojima committed was to intentionally leave it with something anticlimactic open-ended. He even said that one of his inspirations for the game where television mini series that was canceled before being finished. That is why every mission starts like a Television show with the cast and credits. It was all intentional. If you want a conclusion to the story just replay MGS4 because that is the ending you are missing in the grand narrative.

I know all of that, it doesn't excuse Kojima's childish attitude towards his fans.
This is a constant which remains true in the universe regardless of game or game developer.
Bullshit, he was simply too scared to leave Konami because he didn't "want to leave MGS in the hands of someone else" which we know is bullshit because Kojima didn't want to work on it after MGS2. So the obvious motive is that he was simply scared of going independent or trying to work with any other studio. Which would be fine if he did not make himself look pathetic by passively aggressively shitting on his fans.

No, user. Get off his dick and realize he spent five years and millions of dollars to only create a half finished game. Creating MGSV so close to the end of that console generation probably did the most damage to be honest. So much likely had to be scrapped because of consoles, only for the new ones to be announced right when they finally locked into what the game was going to be.

I'm real tired of this shit. Why are we even talking about him at this point? Every thread about MGS or anything that Kojima has ever worked on gets derailed into a fucking shitstorm. We have discussed everything there is about him and his work. It's time to stop.

Until new official information about Death Stranding gets released, we have absolutely no reason to keep making the same threads over and over.

user Kojima is not the one acting childish.

but its not half finished and I am not the one ridding Kojima dick. Its the fanboy's who wanted more Kojima dicking. They couldn't get enough of the Kojima cock, now they are acting like jaded ex-lovers demanding more. Face it kiddo Kojima is dating a new girl named Death Stranding.

I wanted Kojima to do this ages ago you fucking idiot. It only took 4 games and a totally pointless attempt to ruin an admittedly scummy publisher for Kojima to decide that he had caused enough melodrama to finally grow a pair.

user accept your phantom pain

SAD

I just wish almost all decent game developers weren't melodramatic faggots. It makes it more annoying precisely because they make or made good games. Take a look at this list of drama queens who let their own feelings get in the way of their success. It's a pattern among "star" designers.

>David Cage nah just kidding he was always a pretentious talentless little shit

Except Kojima willingly came back to work on MGS for Peace Walker because he saw his son playing PoOps and thought he should play a "proper MGS on PSP."

Too bad his son doesn't give a fuck.

MGS IS AN OVERRATED FRANCHISE

user the only melodrama here is (you)

What's your problem, friend? Care to chat? Something bothering you in your day to day life?

Wasn't a fan of Peace Walker. Most of the bosses required co-op and shit tons of grinding to beat. Plus the lack of prone.

Portable Ops was the better metal gear game IMO. Even if most of it is non-canon now.

Dragging the soldiers back to the truck before foltons became a thing sucked balls though.

ur mom is an overrated franchise

Konami canned Kojima because it was his second game in a row that was bleeding Konami of money with no finished product in sight.

Remember Metal Gear Rising? "But that was a good game!" some of you say. Yeah, but Kojima couldn't fucking finish it. It was sent off to Platinum games to finish when it was originally Kojima's project.

Kojima is a developer who has lost sight of practicality and logistics. Konami could no longer afford him. They shitcanned his ass, pushed out a couple products they could actually make money on, incuding MGS3 Pachislots, and moved on with life. Now Konami continues to struggle while Kojima's trying to push out the much anticipated melting turd baby of Death Stranding. Odds are it will probably be long delayed and over budget, because that is who Kojima is.

No, you just suck.

Oh shit…

I had trouble with a couple of the bosses fucking attack helicopter but yes, the game is very doable solo. I enjoyed Peace Walker.

What's with all the anti-kojima goon posters lately?

FUCKING THIS
There's no aspect of the game where you have to deal with the problems of phantom pain, you're also given a completely functional limb replacement right off the bat.

Kojima is staunchly against things like developing for mobile games and pachinko, he's always butted heads with Konami over this stuff and when they started actively removing his name from MGSV before it's release and getting their lawyers to ban him for the 2015 game awards for his own game it's obvious what the real reason for his departure is. Budget shit is just an excuse to downplay Konami and to make them look good.

And sure enough as soon as Kojima was fired Metal Gear Sold 3 pachinko machines got announced and developed pretty much immediately.

No he actually wanted to make huge ass game, but he's incompetent at spending money and time so konami cut him when he run out of budget the second or third time.
It was kojidrones who came up with the whole meta phantom pain excuse.
MGSV is still the best MGS game

The hilarious thing is that the MGS3 pachislot was a resounding failure because even old salarymen who don't care about vidya wouldn't play it, since it was exceptionally scummy even for a pachislot.

pretty sure he was shit at finances cause i remember him asking konami for more money multiple times and eventually they were like fuck you this is out of control

please elaborate, are you referring to mine clearing 50 or rescue the diamond dog 35?

Kojima and Konami are both at fault in the situation.
Kojima's ambition and lack of any self-restraint, constantly inflating the budget and extending the dev time way beyond any reasonable degree because muh Hollywood talent, and muh features. Konami's push for multiplat(gotta support that 360 and PS3 for no good reason) and switch in focus to pachislot destroying the company from within.

It's an entire wonder the game was as good as it was.

WORDS THAT KILL

I think you're giving him too much credit. He's just a hack who went way over budget and wasted 7 years to make a half finished mediocre stealth game.

STANDING

Death Stranding is going to be equally terrible and fascinating, I bet.

It's using famous faces to sell the game even long before they showed an inkling of gameplay. On top of that they've been dead silent for a long time. It's probably because of some internal turmoil. Perhaps Del Toro disagreed with Kojima on certain things and/or vice versa.

Del Toro only lent his likeness for the one character. He doesn't have anything to do with the game itself if I recall correctly.