The perfect toutorial

We've all played games that fucking suck, most games do. Some games suck so much that when you are dropped into the world, you are either cuddled through it or you need to look up how to actually play the fucking game from a 3rd party. Most of the time, this is due to absolutely shit devs sucking huge fat cocks.
A good game needs a good toutorial level where you learn how to play without having menus and cutscenes shoved up your ass forcefully because the devs are too mentally deficient to teach you how to play the game by having you play the game.
My almonds got activated and it occurred to me that I can't think of a single game past 2007 where a player can learn how to play the game by actually playing it. Maybe I haven't played one, maybe my standards are too high, maybe I'm just a fag. So what can be argued as the best toutorial in (modern) games? Don't post eCeleb shit either, give your own fucking opinion, you fag.

Old platformers did this. The opening levels were basic enough to let you get a feel for the timing and controls with maybe an indicator for more sophisticated actions (ground pounding/rolling in DKCR, for example). Modern games force you through tutorials because they no longer include instruction manuals that show you how to play the game.

I know nu-Holla Forums hates Near a Tomato now, but it had a fantastic tutorial section. Watching retards shriek and kvetch about how hard it was, then telling themselves they aren't casual scum when they switch to easy/normal difficulty until they beat it, then back to hard for the rest of the game, made my dick diamonds.

Yo-noid 2 immediately came to mind, but that doesn't really count since it's not triple-a.

What's really annoying is when a dedicated tutorial level that is separate from the game and accessible via the main menu is made, but the first level of the game is jammed with tutorial shit regardless.

Fire Emblem 6 did this pretty well with it's first chapter and not it's actual tutorial
You learn through just playing around that

I liked Near a Tomato. The tutorial in it was OK. Nothing to write home about.

I liked Splinter Cell's tutorial. It was kinda like you were just being trained.

The Advance Wars tutorial is fucking awesome. Teaches you pretty much anything you might encounter in the game, makes it fun, ties it with the story, very exploitable for glitches and you're even encouraged to 100% it via the ranking system.
Other than that, the Wario Land 4 one was also pretty great since it just threw you into the game immediately.

VtMB. A tutorial most players would not mind going through again because instead of being a tutorial it fits right into the main story.

I liked the Hitman Blood Money tutorial

Nigger is just videogames you just press every button to see what it does and start experimenting with the game no need for some gay tutorial.

I liked Furi's tutorial a lot. The first boss you fight is also the tutorial boss, and has several phases where you can get accustomed to the attacks the game can throw at you and the controls. All it does is show input on the screen of the thing you have to learn, and you have to learn how to do it in live combat as you can still die during the tutorial. On top of that it teaches several other things like the function between different bullet types just by having a wave of destructible bullets you need to shoot through slowly become replaced with indestructible bullets. On Furier difficulty the tutorial phases of the boss are completely eliminated, as the boss gets outright challenging too.

A tutorial should be a really easy first level with context clues to get you to use each of your abilities in turn, and very little risk accompanying failure. There can still be risk, but the kind where you'd have to be completely fucking retarded to fall into it. Like a pit that you can easily jump over, enemies that don't really fight back but could kill you if you just stand there.

Rome: Total War

Killer Instinct's (2013) tutorial is probably the best in game tutorial a fighting game has to offer.

PS1 and PS2 Armored Core games forced you to play very easy first mission without tutorials. It's easy as long as you played the any of these games before. AC1 had very easy mission in a test room where you need to destroy two shitty reverse-joint bots. Also, you could look at controls through options after the first mission.

sabed :DDDDD

Dark Souls

Half-life Opposing Force's tutorial was pretty sweet, so was Deus Ex and Bioshock 2.

Yeah, Advance Wars was great, too.

What about Revalator?

bepis

Both Taris and Peragus were great tutorial levels. :^)

When we’re doing an action game, we make the second level first. We begin making level 1 once everything else is completed. -Shigeru Miyamoto

I think this is a really good philosophy to go by for several reasons, the first level is obviously the level players will encounter first, so it seems fit to give the best first impression possible by making level 1 only after you've figured everything else out. It also makes it easier to make your tutorials more seamless because, for the development team, it means mechanics can be introduced to the player in a controlled and pre-planned way based on the work already put into it rather than having to retroactively modify the tutorial for later in development.

its good but its not complete, it only goes on to show you basic stuff that you should know from almost any other game, IIRC it only teaches you how to move and perform special moves, and i don't think it even teaches you how Dust attacks, Burst, Roman Cancelling or Danger mode works, that is why i think it is an incomplete tutorial

The perfect tutorial is playing the game.

I can only imagine what the updated one looks like.

Xrd Sign tutorial with Sol vs Sin showed everything from cancels to danger time. You're saying Revelator is inferior? Not bothering with updates until GG Xrd Revelator AC+ #Reload Climax comes with my main guy Testament

Didn't they either remove it or make this super scripted quest?
I distinctly remember both things happening.

I don't know. It's been that long. I know there was a large overhaul a few years back though.

I don't know what makes a perfect one, but what doesn't is making them cutscenes or message boxes, especially if there's no way to turn them off. Messages or button prompts that don't break the gameplay are fine, but again, should be able to be disabled.

Sweet because of the FMJ parody and other entertaining dialogue, not because it's a good implementation of a tutorial.

Only if you can reasonably infer the mechanics and controls from that. Like most Mario platformers assume you know there's a run button and a jump button, but might have button cues pop up when approaching an item.

You don't want to know, user.
Not only they removed Tutorial Island, they've at least reworked the tutorial at least 7 times to the best of my knowledge. Not to mention they're still planning to REWORK it again. They've brought back Tutorial Island in RS3 for a quest by sinking it and a reward from it consisting of a monthly looting oyster.
I'll admit that Tutorial Island isn't the best tutorial ever but it still did the job well enough. It's still available in Oldschool fortunately. I have a soft spot for Troll Warzone tutorial though, despite it being a clusterfuck all over the place, it still explored all skills, taught you a few basics and had a little story behind it, that's it.

Did everyone get infected with the retard disease over there or something?

I liked how Max Payne handles it.
When you go into the game it puts you into an map with no enemies appearing straight away so you can get a feel for the controls, then it gives you weapons and shit so you can figure it out on your own before the first enemy.
If you're too retarded then there's also the real tutorial where you can skip sections and just fuck around in the map for a bit.
IMO that's the best alternative. The simple empty starter room where you can figure out the control, and the optional retarded mode with sections you can skip, so you don't have to "press w to go forward" when you just want to learn the advanced controls.

This. A thousand times, this.

There's no feeling more rewarding than organically figuring out what you're supposed to do, or how to perform a trick with a good system. DMC comes to mind, or the DS games - just in the way they introduce concepts to the player with enemy placement and styles that mimic the boss or main challenge of a particular zone. Of course the control scheme itself has to be fairly intuitive for this to work at all.

I replayed Super Mario World recently, and I think this game does it better than most.
Most SNES games did this, and if it weren't for devs trying to appeal to incompetent normalfags, games would still work this way.

Faggo

WTF is Near a Tomato? Nier? Nioh?

I'm not even trying to ride the souls-wankery but most of those games do the tutorial stage perfectly. All the commands you need will be written on the ground for you in developer messages and then you're given an opportunity to try the mechanic against some shitter enemy. In the case of Demons souls you're given a reward for using the skills taught to you to beat the "you're supposed to lose" boss as well

Dark souls makes you test your patience more than anything to get the reward

I forgot to mention that even though the controls are all written down in developer messages for you, you still have every action available to you from the start and you control the pace, no force walking or "look up and down while we 'calibrate' some nonsense". So if you read the controls in the booklet or something you can go experiment right out the gate

pls don't torture me

the only thing bad is when a button press does some automatic if you keep pressing it, like parrying or blocking that shit is fucking confusing, otherwise smooth sailing.