Gamepad/Controller thread

It feels like my xbox 360 controller is about to give up any day now.
Is it worth getting a xbox one controller? What are other anons experiences using one?
What other gamepads/controllers are worthwhile on the market?
Also, does the Dualshock 4 work well on pc? can you connect it straight up through the usb or do you need to buy one of those bluetits dongles or whatever they are called?

General gamepad/controller thread.

I use the DualShock 4 as my main PC gamepad. Some games work right out of the box for it but in some cases you need a workaround that tricks the games into thinking they are X360 controllers.

I only use 5$ cheap chinkshit controllers. They work well enough for me

What a shit thread

360 Controller is dogshit wall-to-wall. Literally the only thing passable about it is the triggers, and even those don't have a digital click at the bottom the way they should. The sticks are just passable, the buttons are terrible (hard plastic and convex), the dpad doesn't even need to be mentioned, and the asymmetric stick layout is ass.
Wii U Pro Controller is the peak of comfort. I use it as my primary PC controller. Best D-pad and best layout. Only thing wrong with it is no analog triggers.
The Switch Pro Controller is decent, but honestly a disappointment. They added gyros, which are occasionally useful, but it's a retarded move to not fix the analog triggers and to ditch the Wii U Pro Controller layout, which was perfect, in favor of the shit XBox layout.

And never fall for those shitty 8Bitdo controllers. They're far too expensive and the quality is garbage. I bought one just because they look so sexy; awful buyer's remorse.

Here's your controller, bro.

I usually just use m+kb but if a game requires it, I use the xbone controller. It's the greatest controller ever made IMO.

When he gets tired he can just lick the controller for a protein boost.

any recommendations for PC headsets

I use an Xbox One controller,the sticks,triggers and face buttons are good but the D-pad is completely shit and the bumpers are too clicky for my taste.

i went through quite a few cheap chinkshit controllers before i found some i liked.
i'm still using some cheap hori controllers. i picked up a few when they were on sale but so far i've only needed to replace sticks on one.

Why make this thread? Just look up a video of the xbox controller and assess yourself. But since you've already made the thread. No the xbox one controller is not worth getting its way too bulky and the buttons begin to become sticky after a year. The analog sticks feel weird and your hands will hurt after prolonged use. the triggers are also painful to use. I would recommend either a DS4 or DS3 but be aware that the DS3's analogs are slippery. Or you can just get another 360 controller.

I've been using the steam controller my brother bought. No game changer, although you can customize it to an autistic degree. The trackpads are difficult to get used to, but they are rather comfortable once you get used to them. Still can't get it to be useful in FPSs though. It's certainly NOT worth the money though (my brother bought it at $80, I think).

Looks comfy. Does it work out of the box or do you need to configure it?

What's wrong with a gamepad thread?

Why would I wanna watch some shill on youtube shill the xbone controller for 20 minutes?

See, this is exactly why I created this thread.

Wii U Pro controller looks like an interesting choice. How are the analog sticks on it?

hey guys :^)

Pretty sure the Pro controller needs some weird hacks if you're using Windows. It needs to connect through Bluetooth, not USB, though. That's a little bit of a drag, but not too bad.

The analog sticks are great. Almost nonexistent dead zone, great sensitivity. Very comfortable.

I use a 360 controller. The rubber on the analog sticks are really worn down, but it still works great. I have another brand new 360 controller that I haven't touched yet.

Here's your controller, bro

How much should someone pay max for a mouse and keyboard, and what are the best mouses and keyboards out right now.

I like using Dualshock 4 on pc, i liked the dualshock 2 or 3s dpad a little bit more but DS4 is more convenient to run, also you can remap the share and touch screen to various things which actually makes the controller better to use on PC than it does its home console

god i hate looking at this fucker. when i was living away from home i only had a laptop to work with so i slapped fightcade on it and grabbed one of these and thought it would be well and good but ended up going and dropping full price for a dualshock 3 at the time even though my ps3 was in another country just cuz that logitech crap had such a bad dpad

Hey guys, I brought my own controller.

I just use the DS4 for everything, but I used to use the DS2.

Mein fuhrer, this is not the way to wean people from Windows. Such smug fuckery only serves to drive even the curious away.

Every controller this gen is competent enough to use. Going by hand size:
Steam controller > Xbox = Switch = Wii U Pro > Dualshock 4
but even then it's down to taste.

Nice try you fucking lying kike.

gtfo weeb

yeah its truly suffering playing on windows with a DS4.

yeah its truly suffering playing on windows with a DS4.>>13479288

yeah its truly suffering playing on windows with a DS4.

All my PS4 friends complain about how big the X1 controller is. I've never heard this the other way around.

I just use a 360 controller for most games and a Hori Fighting Commander for anything that dosen't need sticks

You forgot to mention the pro controllers absolutely stellar battery life

So you admit that you have no first-hand experience comparing the two side by side, and so you spoke as if you were some authority on the topic while in actuality you were just brainlessly regurgitating some second-hand bullshit that you could have disproved with a simple google search?

Yep, typical kike tricks.

I just use a 360 controller for most games and a Hori Fighting Commander for anything that dosen't need sticks

You forgot to mention the pro controllers absolutely stellar battery life

So you admit that you have no first-hand experience comparing the two side by side, and so you spoke as if you were some authority on the topic while in actuality you were just brainlessly regurgitating some second-hand bullshit that you could have disproved with a simple google search?

Yep, typical kike tricks.

I've used both. The PS4 analogs are trash, and in general the PS4 controller is trash.
The Xbone controller is great. The D-pad in particular is really similar to the nice GBA D-pad and the analogs are also great.

Of course not, goyanon. The Xbox One controller is bigger. The only reason to use a Dualshock 4 is to enjoy the sweet, sweet DPS from Destiny 2's exclusive weapon, Coldheart.

Your personal shit taste and blatant marketing has nothing to do with the discussion at hand, which was (((user))) lying about the size.

thats a shame, the 8bitdo controllers do look sexy.

Wait what?

I modded my ps4 controller the other day.

>>>/sudo/51641
Gookmonkey keeps breaking things.

Whatever you say, sony shill.

Ah right

Neck yourself.

This is objectively the best controller ever made. Just think: all controllers are shit compared to kb+m, so obviously the one closest to it is the best even though it's still inferior. The keypad makes it actually possible to play some good games, ones made for men instead of kids. The one thing that would make it better would be to replace the worthless cross thing with a trackball. I still use kb+m because that can't be topped, but this is definitely the least-awful controller.

You neck yourself, you fucking sony kike shill. How can you actively advice people to buy a POS Dualshock 4 is beyond my comprehension.

That's where you're wrong, kiddo.

What part of "not actually recommending one over the other" do you not understand, you brainless cuck? You do know that we have IDs here, right?

Doesn't it require batteries or the purchase of a separate rechargeable battery pack? Why the hell would you use that controller?

I wish I could get this heated over arguments about plastic toys used to play electronic toys
I never even said one controller was bigger than the other, just that if you have bigger hands you'll be better off with an X1 controller. If you want a serious reason as to why PS4 players claim the X1 controller is for bigger hands, it's because you're supposed to hold it differently.
The Dualshock's grips don't fill your palms. The Xbox series controllers are made to do that, and the Steam controller takes it a bit too far. If you have small hands you'll have a harder time with a controller that expects you to stretch your hand over it more. Anyone used to a controller that doesn't touch their palms is going to say that a controller that does is bigger.

kys valvecuck

And yet you didn't even know that the DS4 was larger than the X1 pad. Don't try and bullshit me and pretend you did, because it's obvious as fuck that you didn't. You can try to walk this back all you want, or project your bullshit onto me, but that's not going to fly. Better to just fuck off and next time stop giving shitty second-hand advice.

I'm not walking back. You started whining because you didn't read my first post properly.
So what do you think about the rest of that post? Surely if you have both controllers you'd have something to say on the matter.

Do people actually like triggers? I always find them impeding my reaction time because of the delayed response.

Again, you already admitted that you formed that opinion based on second-hand information. Just stop, you're embarrassing yourself.

do a half press

What's the matter, user? Don't want to actually talk about controllers in a controller thread? If I'm wrong, show me where.

Get a DS4 and use ImputMapper. DS4 is probably the best controller ever made imo.

Cheap plastic pieces of shit made for fat American hands, awful Dpad because Americans only play CoD

Overpriced gimmicky controller that is completely unnecessary

Would be a good controller if not for the shitty sixaxis motion controls

Shitty controller using a touchpad no one asked for. Low battery life because always on LED

Gimmicks. Every single one of them has been uncomfortable and awkward pieces of shit that are eaten up because nostalgia.
Fuck you, Gamecube controller fans it's a shitty controller with an awkward massive A button and shrunk everything else. Dualshock 2 was better in every way in that generation.

Pro controllers are actually pretty solid, comfortable and have a decent battery life. But Nintendo is the Jew so look forward to paying almost as much as an Elite controller for something that should cost half as much as it does.

Fuck these tiny pieces of shit the wrist straps are awkward to get off and using them separately is cancer. It wouldn't be bad using them with the plastic grip, but you need to pay extra to keep them charged while using them and there's no other way to do that other than plugging them into the switch and not using them.

Good job, you've got a shitty controller but at least you've not wasted a fortune on one. Put the money to something actually worthwhile instead.

____no______

I bought that because I wanted a good d-pad but using it for games meant for 4 button layout can be a big pain because it is an imperfect diamond.

I'm still figuring out how to use a controller on Abe's Odyssey. I managed to use a controller in Grim Fandango non-Remastered but it involved MotionInJoy which I'm not doing again.

I managed to force controller plus mouse layout in Hotline Miami 1. I set Steam in Big Picture Mode, run the game, and turn off the controller using the guide button with JoytoKey running in the background.

Actually useful for browsing a PC if you're out of range of your mouse.
If you use InputMapper you can turn off the LED.
Its far better than the cheap DS3 and is closer to the god-tier DS2 controller than anything else.

Ask me an honest question about gamepads and I'll give you an honest answer.

Dualshock 4 touchpad can actually be configured for PC, so it's not entirely useless. It's also my favorite controller so I'm a bit biased here. I have large hands and it sits pretty comfortably in them albeit a little small.

All your Sonygger friends are wrong, then. The Xbone gamepad is just a piece of shit with garbage bumpers, tiny analog sticks, battery packs, and is somehow less ergonomic than the 360's gamepad.

I always thought they got an undeserved bad reputation. Sure, they made some shitty controllers early on, but I remember they continued to make decent 3rd party Duke controllers for the OG Xbox long after Microshit defaulted to the Controller S. Their Street Fighter IV pads are also pretty good (and getting more expensive on the scalper market by the day), and their Rock Band accessories were reportedly better than the standard Harmonix ones. Plus they officially released a Dreamcast light gun after Sega refused to bring their own to the US after Columbine.

Now if you want to point to shit third party manufacturers, look at Pelican, Nyko, or Logitech.

Sony phased out Sixaxis controllers in 2008 for a proper DS3.

How do you feel about split controllers? Do you think their more practical motion controls could bring something more to non-VR gaming in the future?

I don't buy console revisions. When a new one comes out I'll buy the old one on offer. Unless it's Microsoft, then add preowned on top of that.
So my entire PS3 gen was using the original DS3.

Well that was your mistake, as the DS3 actually took out the Shitaxis in favor proper rumble. Dualshocks are still overrated pieces of plastic though.

>>>Holla Forums

I think they have the potential to be far more comfortable over traditional controllers if designed primarily with ergonomics at the forefront (the ability to rest your arms wherever you want them, while still having your "controller" in both of your hands would be great) in titles without motion controls, but unfortunately we haven't seen that happen yet. Realistically, I think their non-VR niche is firmly in the casual/party gaming space, with the biggest hurdle for mass adoption of precision motion controls (non-wagglin') probably being arm fatigue.

I would love to see innovative new motion controls integrated into modern "serious" titles, but I know we'd see a lot of pushback from your average gamer who wants to sit down and comfortably play vidya, as opposed to having to "work for it". People are more accepting of the idea of "working for it" in both casual/party games and non-couch VR, because the play sessions are short, and the whole thing is a novel experience.

You're wrong, the DS3 added rumble on top of the sixaxis shit and supposedly the DS4 has the same motion sensing shit too.

In all honesty, I stick by the Ibuffalo snes controller for older games and the ZD-XV controller for new games that require sticks. I feel sorry for anons who waste money on Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo garbage. All of these companies make their shit in china chink shops now, get over it.
NIGGERS

That nigga is going to fucking drown.

I love using the Wii U pro controller, the adapter I got also works on PS3 as well. Wish I could use it on Switch.

I beat Dustforce with all S on this. My fingers have never been the same.

Breath of the Wild's motion controls really surprised me. It's mostly used for the bow, but the gyro aim works well enough that I never felt hindered for using a controller. You just hold ZR and point the right joycon where you want to shoot, and it works flawlessly.
One of my favourite things about the Steam controller is that you can bind the gyro to activate when you softly press the right trigger, so that you can aim better in shooting games. On most controllers when things get far away enough you usually end up flicking the right stick back and forth to put the crosshair on the target, but with low sensitivity gyro assist you don't have to do that. It's a shame most console devs don't care about gyro aiming, because it would help bridge the gap between a mouse and a controller.

I just preordered the New Snes one, I hope it's good. Which one did you get?

Says who?
This is a good thing, at least for now. His life setup has never been great. He has to be able to support himself if he's going to survive dark times.

Oh don't get me fucking started on those motherfuckers. I get that they designed them with that god-awful vertical alignment because that's the simplest way they could have it attach to a tablet but that shit breaks so many rules from an ergonomic perspective. On your typical gamepad, your thumbs are in the "primary" position on stick/dpad, and then the face buttons. You can comfortably rotate your thumbs inward to reach the other stick/dpad.

Can you do that with those fucking joycons? Oh no, that'd be too easy. Instead, you can either have your thumb comfortably situated on the left stick and right face buttons, and then you get to either contort your thumb, or shift the entire fucking joycon forward in your grip to reach the bottom. Or you put your thumbs in the shitty no-man's-land between the top and bottom of each joycon, and live with being moderately uncomfortable for both.

I'm a big fan of gyro controls for "light" shooter action, though

From what I read on /cow/ he hasn't updated it in forever.

He also has a car too and has reportedly conquered some of his phobias. I'm glad he's starting to function like an adult, but I'll miss his pure OCD autism.

If there's a lolcow who deserves a Good End, it's him.

never tried the ds4, but tried their previous controllers and they felt pretty gay. I still use my 360 controller, no need to buy this new bullshit.

Just letting you know that "just werks" on Linux means that you have to spent slightly less than 4 hours installing random bullshit via the terminal.

i got the xbone controller, it could be better but its not bad considering Ive been using cheap shit for a decade

Gamecube really had the worst controller, but fans eat it up

bullshit every usb gamepad works on windows, if you want it to work with some videogames properly all you have to do is get x360ce but even some chink gamepads nowdays have intergrated xinput so you dont even have to bother with that too

For 2D games, nothing can touch a quality stick, but the FC4 is a great option too.

Is that controller testing its owner for beetus?

Wincuck Jesus Christ take your pills and calm down

BotW was designed around the limitations of the joycons. Pressing the "dpad" is fiddly, so they made the game pause when you switch weapons. I ended up using the base of my thumb to move the right stick while keeping it over the face buttons. The only advantage for loose joycons is how the gyro aim works, but it works well enough that it's worth the hassle.
The fact that they have to be portable limits the joycons a lot. A similar control scheme on something like the Vive controllers would be interesting, but that controller makes the joycons look cheap. HTC lists them at 115 bong (154 dollars) and that's just for one of the pair.

I use a wireless 360 controller for modern games. Mad Catz street fighter arcade stick for arcade and fighting games. For emulation I get the genuine controllers and pc get adapters.

Bullshit, the controller drivers are part of the fucking kernel. Unless you're running an an ancient kernel, literally all you need to do is plug in the fucking controller and it just werks out the box.

it's also a hell of a lot easier to set up gamepad aliases for system commands on linux. i've only managed to do so in windows using third party software.

pcsx2 and ppsspp have stopped recognizing my SmartJoy PS2 adapter when they switched to a new SDL2 version because SDL2 is utter dogshit

is there anything to use this with other than PSO?

Wii U pro is the best and a big plus is the battery lasts fucking forever.
The switch pro is hot garbage because they totally fucked up the D-pad. Most of the time I can't press up/down without it also moving left/right. This can be absolutely infuriating in some games and some 2D switch games play better on the shitty joycons for this reason. Absolutely inexcusable.

Here's your controller, bro

anyone else remember this?

But that's a good thing. The actual thing wrong is Nintendo ditched their great octagonal gate concept to ape the 360 controller.

Thanks fam, been wanting to try it for ages. I think more designers really need to explore the concept of going gangbusters with backside buttons. Yours seems to have replaced buttons with shitty capacitative strips with no feedback though.