Ultima Online turns 20

What's the preferable way to play this shit in 2017? I figure after 20 years I can probably spare at least a couple hours of my time for the first (?) graphical MMO. Or was that Zelda Online/Graal?

Other urls found in this thread:

uorenaissance.com/
relporuo.com
forums.uooutlands.com
forums.uooutlands.com/showthread.php?tid=1
forums.uooutlands.com/showthread.php?tid=149
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

No relevant thread up about CRT's, this one is the closest. So I turned on my old CRT TV, and when looking closely on a static image (menu etc), or text, the detail appears to be flowing back and forth like a river. Good CRT's don't do this right? No options can fix this either. Anyone with experience about this problem? Also the TV has a crazy annoying hiss high pitched, do the good CRT's not have this issue? Its a Sylvania ~18-20 inch tv.

Ultima 20 years old is a big anniversary. Granted I never played UO, but always played an Ultima 4 successor mmorpg called Dransik Classic, made by one of the dev's from ultima 6-7. That one is probably 19 years old now, still has an official server up but the game is terribly dead after having 10+ official wipes over the years, and cancerous PvP endgame loot-emptying servers.

WHEN WILL THE KIKES AT EA DIE?
DO I NEED TO GO TO THE STATES AND BLOW UP THEIR HQ AT PEAK WORK HOURS?

uorenaissance.com/
Is the only game in town but it's been going for a long time and will continue to do so.

Make a crafting alt and feed him the cotton you find. Give him a pack donky and park his ass in the tailor shop macroing tailoring. The donkey will be necessary when you can no longer carry all the pants you made.

On your main prioritize finding all the cotton fields in the world and all the tailor shops. In your rune book, mark all of these locations so you can instantly recall to those locations. Teleport between the cotton fields and drop them off for your tailor. Then take the finished good on your main and warp around to the tailor shops looking for ones that have money. (Their cash reserves will reset after an hour or two I forget how long)
You'll be rich really fucking quick.
There's at least 3-4 others before it. I played 2 of them. (The Realm, Meridian 59)

They even mentioned it in a random player poll recently.
I just want a world pvp mmo that isn't a themepark

That'd be Meridian 59, but no one bothered playing that.

First was neverwinter nights on aol.
The Realm was out before Meridian 59. Probably a few others.

UO was a horrific trainwreck that was loads of fun in spite of that. Problem is, the devs ruined the game and it's genrrally considered to have gone to shit either right before or after UO:R depending on who you ask (UO:R killed it, the group that says otherwise started in UO:R). That was around 17 years ago. So you're stuck playing on player shards with player shard problems and won't experience the community or what it was like to play with thousands of players simultaneously. Really, there's no resurrecting the experience. It's gone.

Just take out the fun and every theme park MMOs is no longer a park.

My only good memory was visiting a PC's shop to buy some furniture for my house.
Also

You're right. I knew Meridian 59 was a first at something, turns out it was the first 3D one.

digging around in old bookmarks I found
relporuo.com
Does this one fall under that description as well? Just looking for the least cancerous way to give this old biddy a proper whirl since I ignored it and every other MMO in its prime.

montage I found of a UO 20th anniversary gathering that happened… somewhere.
highlights:
fun fact Garriott performed the first Zero-G wedding on June 20, 2009.

No responses? Curses.

UO became a bad diablo clone after UO:R what's the point of playing it in current year?

Gold is close to worthless since Trammel was put in. This caused massive hyper inflation because no there are no ejections in the economy. A simple sword costs millions. Used to be like 1000Gold for a good sword, which was like killing a handful of mobs.

Getting geared is no longer, picking up some simple stuff at vendors and other players, you gotta get all the magic items now via grind or paying ludicrous amounts of gold due to the hyperinflation.

Severs are empty, true fans play on either UO:R or T2A private servers.

That looked like a relaxing time, they all played a decent game and had some nice memories. British must've had a lot of funny stories over the years. Thanks for finding this.

yeah it sounds like just a low-quality CRT, especially since
try to find one of those Sony trinitrons, maybe even a JVC, at a garage sale or something, trinitrons are basically the gold standard especially when calibrated

I've seen the name Ikegami thrown around as well but I think that would set you back a pretty penny if I'm not mistaken
offtopic bump

Doing this thing fucking tf2vintage has no servers it's even more ded than UO.

Renaissance sounds kind of gay going by what said. On the other hand it also appears to be the only game in town to have anything even approaching a Massively Multiplayer experience in UO without forking over some shekels to play a 20 year old barely-supported game; anything else I'm looking at ghost towns and tumbleweeds.
In spite of this I've decided to try UO Outlands first since it is new and so am I to all this, also that RelporUO I linked before was shuttered earlier this month. Renaissance will still be there if later I want to play on something more populated or I manage to get myself booted from Outlands.

forums.uooutlands.com
faq forums.uooutlands.com/showthread.php?tid=1
install forums.uooutlands.com/showthread.php?tid=149

aaand I'm in

oh god what the fuck am I doing
Interface is pretty clunky but I don't know what else I was expecting from a 1997 game.
Got a warm welcome from one of the main devs, he helped introduce me and run through some of the basics.
Guess I'm gonna chop some trees or some shit now.

thats the spirit
UO never had any specific goals. Players made their own fun, be it adventuring, fishing, or carpentry

EA,

A SHIT. A FUCKING SHIT

I wandered around the starter island for over half an hour. I still haven't figured out how to chop a tree. I feel about as dumb as when I try to play Dwarf Fortress. On the bright side I find the graphics very charming, there is something very inviting about the whole thing despite that I don't know what the fuck I'm doing.

Getting tired but I'll consult a wiki or guide and get a fresh start on it after some sleep, then surely I will make my lumberjacking wizard dreams a reality.

Day 2

Finally learned how to chop a tree. Only after checking through 4 or 5 separate beginner guides did I find one that actually tells you how to do it (double click hatchet to get a targeting symbol, click tree). You'd think a 'beginner' guide wouldn't expect you to already know all the mechanics of the game, but there it is.

The targeting can be finicky. Really finicky. And for reasons totally beyond my comprehension the game asks me to complete a captcha every so often when I try to initiate chopping. So I chopped some trees, and chopped some more trees. Once I had built up a nice supply of wood I went around town looking for someone who might want to buy it. Nobody did. I guess they build ships and bows and houses out of flowers or fucking fairy dust.

Game has been kind of a chore thus far. I tried going into a dungeon and got attacked by an alligator. It was kicking my ass so I left. So far so dull. At least I'm slowly getting the hang of how the game works, but I am really struggling to stay interested. Time for bed, maybe I'll play more tomorrow, if chopping trees and collecting wood counts as play.

You better learn how to macro.

if the server has a more vanilla NPC relations, i remember it was good to make wooden shields to sell to NPCs. Will easily get you enough gold for a small house.

Wow this looks like shit

There's a reason why everyone thinks of Everquest when they think of 3D MMOs. Meridian 59 was shit.

no they don't, they think WoW whether you like it or not.

I should have said "pre-WoW 3D MMOs", back when it was between EQ and AC. Then DAoC showed up, and finally WoW stomped in.
Yeah, nowadays no one cares except random people on anonymous forums.

I was actually looking into Asheron's Call to see if there's any way to play it nowadays. Seems like there's at least one emulator that may or may not work with caveats, but Warner Bros C&D'd the fuck out of that shit so I think all the emu devs are laying low for now. If WB doesn't kill the project(s) entirely maybe someday it'll be in a state worth checking out. Or not.

I heard UO is a griefing/ganking promised land

It used to be before they neutered it, at least that's what I understand from people who played it in its heyday.

It was filled with griefers and gankers because the subscriber base was people completely new to MMOs. There were people walking around roleplaying merchants/knights errant/etc. (thee, thou, all of that) only to get reamed by PK teams stuffed with "phat regs" spamming Corp Por and shouting about the NWO.
This is why all modern "hardcore" MMOs like Mortal Online remain tiny niche games- the only people who play those are looking for a fight and aren't going to get ganked. Griefers will never see the early UO days again because the RPers have a million safe spaces to choose from.

I got pretty lucky - I remember reading everything I could about the closed beta, playing the open beta, playing at launch, playing into The Second Age and then abandoning UO for EverQuest.