Disappointing games thread

Ever been disappointed by a really promising looking game? It was a rhetorical question
Recently found this wasted potential on IGG and downloaded it because it looked neat. Its a glorified walking sim with barely any gameplay. Its a shit port to boot, practically unplayable without a controller. Its the same disappointment as cubivore, a good concept squandered on shit execution.
The devs are probably cucks or something but I didn't even bother checking because this shit was disappointing enough.

Other urls found in this thread:

wired.com/2008/03/gallery-spore/
please
uoem.com/forums/threads/will-wright-calls-casual-gaming-to-be-the-most-important-thing-in-the-gaming-industry.14979/
designer-notes.com/?p=654
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

goddamn, I knew this was gonna be the first post. I was almost tempted to post it myself.

this indeed, good thing i didn't waste my money on a supermodel butt simulator, i ended up playing like 5 hours, then i got tired of doing the same shit over and over and uninstalled

B-BUT MUH BASED MOONMAN DEV AND M-MUH ASS
Y-YOU MUST BE A SJW!!1!!

Came here to post this.

It couldn't hold my interest past the first two hours
I just ended up throwing random people from the starting villages off the cliff, including whatever my companion is called
I like to consider myself pretty patient but this game's world was so empty and disappointing, and there was such a stupid amount of walking and my companion/slave thing was so annoying that I couldn't handle it
It also didn't help that mute people in cutscenes look retarded as fuck

Well this thread is off to a good start, surely it won't devolve into shitposting galore.

You just suck at playing games go away whore

you don't HAVE to reply to them you know

You people are cancer. There isn't anything redeeming about this junk heap of a game. The graphics are shit for a game like this, the combat doesn't feel impactful, and its also somewhat spammy as well, and all other aspects besides the combat portion of the gameplay is incredibly disappointing.

wew it wasn't even hard for the brief period of time I played it
I beat Hollow Knight and am just barely on the verge of 100%ing it, and I've beaten Dark Souls unpatched
This game is just boring, you can kys

Talking about disappointing, I can't believe I can't get a fucking 2D platformer to run properly on my machine, even if it's a toaster.

Either way, this doesn't change any of my points made about it

Tell me about it, I tried it out and I couldn't even reach 60 fps steadily and it puts my GPUs up to the 90 C limits. Even Witcher 3 didn't get me that high.

Then save up for a computer that isn't a toaster user

Fuck off Graf Zahl.

Nigga I told him to buy a better computer because he has a fucking toaster you retard
I don't know what kind of GPU you have, but Hollow Knight ran fine for me, and it ran halfway acceptably on my laptop with shitty integrated intel HD graphics that comes on the CPU

Also
Post your specs user

Nidhogg. The game had a lot of potential and was fun enough for the first hour, but it doesn't seem finished. Never mind that there is little to no variation to the gameplay, how did they ship such a graphically simple game with so few maps?

It was fun while it lasted, but I wanted something more.

I don't even think I realize how fucking disappointed I was to see what Toby did with the final version of this game. All intrigue I had in the demo was let down. I pity those who played the demo so many years ago, bless those who had no such experience.

I like how the first one looked, a very arcadey look for a very arcadey game
and come to think of it thats exactly what it seems like, a simple little game that you challenge your buddy to for a quarter each, not a whole game that you buy
so yea, I wish there was more game

I know, Capcom really ruined Dragon's Dogma II.

Whenever i mention that piece of shit EYE it seems like the thread i posted it in always get shut down.

Maybe because it's obvious how easy it is to notice your bait.

yeahok there buddy.

Forgot about GTAV. I think I got about 30 minutes of enjoyment throughout the entire playthrough.

I have fallen for Holla Forums meme, bought this game and found it to be extremely dull and disappointing. Never listen to Holla Forums, ever.

I haven't been this disappointed in a long while.

You didn't fall for it very well now, did you?
game's not great, it's just okay. I might get back to it someday

I never played this. I honestly, seriously did not get the appeal/hype around this game, and yes I played the first Nier. I watched like 20 minutes of gameplay, and it just made me even more confused why people were interested in this because it looked so boring.

No Goy's Sky

I thought that cover art was Viking Battle for Asgaard at first. Go play that instead.

That wasn't really a disappointment though. It literally never showed anything promising.

best thread tbh

>It was kickstarted last month
I mean, credit where it's due, it's the least cancerous kickstarter I've seen in a while.

FIFY.

Have you played nier 1?

Whats the difference between the demo and the end product? Wasnt it just the intro? If I remember correctly

It's your own fault for getting so disappointed over it. Will Wright actually pushed for casualizing the game and likely brought up the idea himself. It isn't all EAs fault and even with the end result, Will Wright is proud. He doesn't care what we think. The casuals and critics ate it up and most people like it. If you watched the later 2006 presentations and early 2007 ones, you wouldn't of been so disappointed. Why? You'd be prepared for the final game. They started casualizing the game during then. Gore removal, aquatic stages, cutesy cell eyes etc. 2007 Spore is almost identical to what we have today.

Keep in mind the person and company who made this game also made the most casual game series in existence. Maxis is for normalfags.

I have, and while NieR Gestalt is still my favorite game, and that I think writing-wise Automata was a lot less interesting, memorable, and relatable, I still thought it was a good game. I will admit that all the "THICC"-fags have made it very hard to like Automata, more so than the disappointing lore focus.

NieR is the superior Yoko Taro game, Automata is the superior videogame

Do you have source on this? I'm pretty sure this is not true, in fact whoever pushed the casualization admitted it, he said something along the lines of being the leader of "Team cute" vs "Team science", or something like that.

Yeah, that pissed me off. A total rejection of reality, I wonder who they think they were pleasing. Guarantee 95% of people who bought that game were dudes.

Plenty. He isn't the god the vocals made him out to be.

wired.com/2008/03/gallery-spore/
please use archive.is/article/54632/will-wright-on-spore-wed
uoem.com/forums/threads/will-wright-calls-casual-gaming-to-be-the-most-important-thing-in-the-gaming-industry.14979/

"Casual gaming is important'

Apologies for the shit links. There's plenty more. Search for "will wright spore casual" Basically he wanted the sims audience which isn't all that surprising. EA did their part, but in reality it was all wright. He sold out.

The combat is so retarded. Every fight consists off the same shit as the second game… only worse. I really wanted this to be a good game, its a shame.

Fucking this, you took the words out of my mouth
THICCfags are the worst
You forgot to mention the first one has a better soundtrack as well.

All "new games" in Nier 1 are mechanically identical, to the point of enemies not being upgraded appropriately between NGs so you just one shot bosses on 3rd run.
Yes you get new narrative and new endings, but you are forced to replay the same mediocre game 5 or so times.
Automata actually changes gameplay between NGs.

Music is indeed better in Nier 1 though. Arguably story as well, but again only 2nd run adds something to the story, after which you keep repeating the same shit.

Forgot to add:

The man you and both Holla Forums's talk about is Chris Hecker. Contrary to what all the Holla Forums users that have a raging hateboner for this game say, Chris is not responsible for dumbing down the game, and is actually one of the head developers of the game to begin with. He made much of the mechanics from the GDC presentation and current game and even created the very first creature. Check his wiki page for more info.

It just amazes me how dumb half/v/ was when this game was released. They didn't even try for looking for the person who "simsified" the game and all along it was Will Wright. They blame Hecker because they don't want to know the real truth and come off being autistic as hell, bluepilled as I would say.

I know I sound autistic as hell saying all this shit but really designer-notes.com/?p=654

Holla Forums posts this often and misinterpreted it all. It's as if they never bothered to read the dev comments below literally saying that Hecker had nothing to do with the game being "simsified" and that Will Wright himself is to blame. Not one person except the very obvious cuckchanner is bashing the game.

The first was filled with shit too user, I saw that you had to have a diverse expedition group, conservator typical explorer zelots, blood and gold thirsty on the long run is only a malus and all wyman are OP as fuck. I steered out of that just in time and didn't even had low expectations for the second one so, you brought this on yourself

I mean you described a lot of ARPGs
Can you be a bit more specific? The combat is repetitive because you had to dodge and attack?
Can you be a bit more specific like
or… what?
I mean this is about as useful as saying "You had to press buttons in sequence for this retarded ass game"

Haven't seen any of it there

That's a total lie

Except it's not

I had a mighty fine murder romp through the New World, massacring natives, pillaging their towns, and betraying them at every opportunity for the glory of Spain. I hear there's some dedicated Disney route there, but I never encountered it because I didn't try to get chummy with natives in the first place. Hoped the second game would be the same way, but it was not.

You could beat just about anything in the game with this, which is what he's complaining about. Playing on hardest difficulty made you pay for mistakes more, but if you stuck to this sequence of actions, the game was still absolutely trivial.

Still, I wouldn't call witcher 3 a bad game just because of that. Combat in an RPG is secondary to the story.

Can we not have a thread that bucked expectation instead?

Play on a console
Your PC is a port/FPS/Strategy games machine. Play action adventures on the platforms they were developed for.

Vector Thrust could have been so great. There aren't enough Ace Combat-style games, and on top of that, VT was also specifically designed to be highly moddable. It gets the gameplay right, although the gunsight is a little odd. It just needs a few fixes and a full campaign, but the dev disappeared and almost no one is making custom campaigns.

I wasn't really impressed by mother 3. I do like the rhythm mechanic for battle though.

>Ever been disappointed by a really promising looking game? It was a rhetorical question
I'll still answer it, no, I haven't been disappointed by a promising looking game.
If you get disappointed often, then you either have poor judgment or poor decision making skills. In your situation it's both of those.

the demo is moderately short and ends when you leave goat mom behind, but due to the shorter playthrough, you're able to see the ripple effect of your experience more freshly.

When integrated into the full game, it can feel a little disconnected.

I remember there were enough party members available with the 'racist' trait that you could almost have a full group. (I think I had one guy who wasn't). If anything it made the game easier because every time I slaughtered cannibal savages in the name of God all my party members got a morale boost.

That's exactly what the game should have been. For me the standard of that is Liero, and that game was far more fleshed out than Nidhogg. Asking for $11.99 for so little is a joke.

And the writing was mediocre at best, TW3 is not a good game by any standard.

Torchlight 2
EYE
Hard reset
Strike vector, most of all

It's great. Then you hit endgame.

If you're implying that there was lack of attack variety, i agree. Even basic omega force attack variety would have made it better. Otherwise there isn't much to complain about it. Everything is better than turn based, where you have passive or no influence on the combat at all.

wew

Could be worse

Friends don't let friends make the singleplayer mode of a game be just multiplayer with bots.

Plenty of other games have not met expectations. MGS4 is the only one I can remember that just hurt.

Its not even great up to that point. Its great for about 2 hours after the character creator

Quebec is pretty good. The Mollusk is definitely their best, plenty of great songs aside from Ocean Meme.

Yeah, I guess you're right. Despite its flaws, VT does basically have almost everything you'd need to make a really good campaign. It could use some city maps, but someone could probably make those.

Pillars of eternity. I should have researched what people exactly made this game, not just name of the studio.

The game that filled me with so much buyers remorse that I then started to pirate every time before a purchase.
Saved $20 recently by not buying Ruiner because I just didn't like it very much

Don't know if this is bait or not but I agree, the game world is lame and empty. Not every opinion that doesn't agree with the Holla Forums circlejerk is bad you know.

That thing on the cover is hot as fuck.

What a tiny little baby game.

Combat was definitely a low point, but how many RPGs are actually FUN to play? They should have brought back the stances, that would have fixed some issues.

The first game had its flaws, I know. But, Hotline Miami 2 was worse in every single aspect. I admit that I fell for the hype. This was probably the worst sequel burn of my life, I still feel bitter about it. I even admit that I pre-ordered it on steam.

HM2 feels completely unfinished. With the bloated cast of characters, each character gets maybe one or two levels before being killed off, including the main characters that had the unique abilities, which were the main selling point/supposed improvement of this sequel. When I got to the "EVERYBODY DIES, THE END" ending, and the shitty credits song started playing with some nu-male faggot's whiny, grating voice, I thought it was a joke. I was genuinely in disbelief, and I kept having this thought of "this is just a prank, these aren't the real end-credits. The real game is just about to begin, I'm probably only half-way through…. r-right?" But no, the game really was that unfinished and anti-climactic.

The Fans' abilities are all terribly implemented. These were the flagship characters that everyone was excited for, and they all turn out to be extremely janky and awkward to play (which is probably the reason they had you play as generic no-ability characters for most of the game). and that's also probably the reason they killed off the Fans half-way through the already-very-short game

It can't be said enough times how bad the level design is. The really perplexing thing is that the devs seemed to have a decent understanding of what they were doing in HM1 with the level design. Most of the levels were designed as tight corridors where you're almost always in close-quarters with the enemies. In HM2, they decided to make every level full of huge expanses where enemies constantly shoot you from off-screen. This really necessitates a "bait the enemy to run at you and hide around the corner until they come right to you" playstyle. The levels drag on too long, and they're all a trial-and-error slog.

I have a theory that the reason the level design is so bad is because the devs designed HM2 more for consoles, which made the bait-and-wait style of gameplay necessary. Hotline Miami's style of play only works for mouse and keyboard, it fucking sucks playing it on controller. Anyone who disputes this is just a dumb consolefag who never played it with mouse and keyboard. In the original HM, you had to rapidly and accurately snap between different targets extremely quickly, and that only really worked with mouse-aiming.

Don't even get me started on why the story of HM2 is pure shit. It ruins any elements of mystery, or open-interpretations that the first game's story had. There are countless weird contradictions, continuity errors, and retcons throughout HM2's story, in addition to just plain stupid ideas.

In HM1, it was a great feeling to run around using twitch-reflexes to kill enemies without hesitation or baiting. Sure, you could bait enemies in HM1, and that was a flaw with the game, and baiting all the enemies to hit them as they come through a choke-point was frowned upon. I expected that in HM2, the devs would tighten up the level design and find some way of making it so baiting is no longer rewarded or a viable strategy. Instead, the devs decided to do the exact opposite, and make it so baiting is the only viable strategy, and you'll never be able to play HM2 with that same frantic, fast-paced playstyle of the first game.
Again, this was most likely because HM2 was targeted at consolefags and was designed for controller use, while the first game was designed for mouse/keyboard, with gamepad use as an after-thought.

Another piece of evidence that HM2's PC version is basically just a port of the console version:

Also, Dennis made a bunch of Todd Howard-tier lies about things that would be in HM2, in interviews.

Nothing kills a dev quite like getting acquired by EA or attracting a casual audience - Maxis did both. Pic related, that's their fanbase after The Sims.

Fuck the fgc. Fuck RunkaChan. Fuck Cristina Vee. And fuck Mike Z.

Game is quite boring at first, but really picks up later in game. I almost dropped it.

I was actually excited for GTA V because I thought that you would be able to plan every detail of heists rather than select from one of two options. I also thought that the stock market would play a significantly larger role.

I wanted to like this game so much, it seriously needs a reboot with a different gameplay style, maybe something less MArvel and more Darkstalkers, the game had good art, good music and good programming, all that ruined it was wanting to appeal to the cancer known as the Marvel community, everyone knows Mahvel games are cancer. I pity the souls that think DBZF will be a good game at all

Was it about the complete mess of an editor that ended up sucking dicks?

I still remember one thing they said about the editor

i liked the game & 100% it but god damn are you right

soundtrack was god tier though

Did the music sometimes end and then restart from the beginning with certain tracks when you played the game or was it just me?

i remember 1 or 2 tracks doing it.

So the best part of the game was poorly implemented into the rest of the game.

…Was hotline 2 bad on purpose, to make a point about something? There's so many things wrong with the game, and it's not like the original Hotline wouldn't make you play a bad level to prove a point. Was that their intention all along?

It doesn't matter, cause any game that's deliberately shit to make a point is missing the forest for the trees.

If you mean the multiplayer, they actually removed the stock market from that. Doesn't work now, but they didn't cut the menu option. Just tells you to fuck off and use it in the single player.

Prejudice was way better, and it had a neat little story mode too. Too bad Southpeak is dead as fuck and the community died with it.

Heavy MG with incendiary rounds, yo. That shit is wack.

I like the fact there was custom kill animations for the mechs.

There were also custom kill animations for KILLING the mechs. There was Mech v. Soldier, Solider v. Mech, Mech v. Mech, Mech v. Bike, and the two variations of Soldier v. Soldier depending if you did it from the front or behind.

I wish the memory altering technology in this series existed so I can forget this game exists.

fpbp

Yeah, mainly the level editor lies (and they never mentioned until AFTER releasing the game that the level editor wouldn't be included on release). And also, another thing that comes to mind, was where Dennis said in some interview that Cory would be able to enter levels through windows instead of always going through the front door, which he said would give Cory a variety of approaches to each level.
Turns out that was a complete lie.

I don't remember any of the songs in either HM1 or HM2 actually looping properly, I seem to remember that all of the songs in both games would just restart from the beginning like that.

Well that was only 1, maybe 2 levels in the first game, which I would argue weren't really "intentionally bad" in the first place. Like, the reason Trauma was a bad level wasn't because Dennaton were symbolic geniuses that made the level be an annoying, unintuitive slog to symbolize the feeling of waking up from a coma or something. There might've been a little bit of that in their thought process, but I think Trauma was just a shitty level because they tried to break the formula of the game and suddenly nigger-rig a stealth level into a game that should not have any stealth shit in it at all.

I'm sure the developers would love for us to believe that all of the bad things about the games were just super deep, meta symbolism. It's the same shit as the Phantom Pain supposely being unfinished because of super-deep symbolism. I don't buy it, and like you said, even if that were true it doesn't matter. A shit game is still a shit game, even if they try to explain it away with "muh symbolism".

For HM2, it's clear that the game was very rushed and unfinished, and that Dennaton had much bigger plans for the game. The bloated cast of characters which each got a shockingly low number of actual levels to play them in being the most obvious thing, but also the ending felt like everything got cut very short (because it did).

Remember how the release date kept getting pushed back, multiple times? Devolver was clearly pushing Dennaton to put out HM2 in an unfinished state. The development process of HM2 was a complete disaster, and there seems to have been a lot of meddling on the part of Devolver (and/or Abstraction). So, it's obvious that the devs were really struggling with HM2's development, there's no way that it was part of some intentional master-plan to make HM2 be a huge disappointment.

Not that I fully blame Devolver, I think most of the blame rests on Dennaton being incompetent. They dreamed too big, got in over their heads, and made false promises to their audience.

Redeemer and Ruiner were both massive disappointments for me. People kept saying
HOTLINE MIAMI GAMEPLAY
and it's like they have no idea what actually made that style of gameplay fun.

phantom pain. I was a fool to think it could live up to the hype the red-band trailer created. I almost entirely blame open world on it disappointing me more than anything because i can replay mgs3 and ignore the story because the levels are still tight, but most of the world in mgs5 is boring as shit