Games that are Dead on Arrival

Is there any games that were praised but bombed in sales?

Other urls found in this thread:

patreon.com/MichaelSamyn
archive.is/nsKFw
steamspy.com/app/287600
kickstarter.com/projects/taleoftales/sunset-a-first-person-videogame-thriller?ref=category_most_backed
archive.fo/PnQna
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Taco Ma

Okami has a 93% on metacritic.

Are we talking devs who deserve it, the other way around or both.

You forgot Marvel vs Capcom Infinite

The visuals look nice but I'm not sure people will stick around for the gameplay. Looks pretty bland, honestly. It just isn't the Dark Souls of Run N' Gun people are expecting.

No, not happening

This thread was created for things that have actually happened, jackass. Not your epic speculation

What was the name of that shit game that anita had a vid about and it only resulted in 1 sale after.

Superbrothers: Bull Preppers EP?

Not even 25% off could save it

i almost never buy games and even someone like me wanted to buy cuphead, that is until i learned it was gonna have not only a microsoft store release but also a Steam release, so now i am going to pirate it.

On a side thought, are windows 10 exclusive games really that hard to pirate? it seems there were problems with quantum break cracks all the time, and i don't think any other such game was pirated. I own Killer instinct for the record, its the only game ive bought in the last 5 years.

I'm dying

What a fag

Free to play in three months, closed down nine months after than.

I was going to buy it until I saw that Deak Jewkahashi video. The first level's design looked so dull. Alien Hominid looked was more interesting and that was a fucking flash game.

That shit was bound to happen, was going to wait for a while after release to see if there was good level design.

Donte Must Cry

Sunset, aka the maid game. Such delicious salt.

So did they go out of business because of it, hence the last picture?

People are going to get it for the visuals alone. You don't really need people to stick around when it's not an online game.

To be fair it probably sold more than 36, there were just at most 36 people playing it at the same time.

Really gives you a great look into the minds of these SJWs, they just see it as a platform for their bullshit.

you can't make this shit up

Ah, I just figured they meant "all-time sales" fair enough.

It's Western devs that aren't simply in it for the money in a nutshell really.

>May you die in the same agony that you caused to thousands of defenceless virtual creatures
what kind of casualshit excuse of videogames where all the creatures are defenceless do they pl-oh wait they don't actually play videogames

Where do people see these steam stats for games?

please be b8

When?

lemonparty.org

nope , if you were able to find this place and post on it you should be able to find what you're looking for on your own

The user is trying to connect with you, you bully.

Wow thanks!

Did it bomb? I'm pretty sure that having Capcom devs fly out from Japan to England to fix their fuckups added a bit more to the expenditure. The only people trying to revive it are video game journalists for some inexplicable reason.

It fucking bombed no matter how hard Capcom tried to prove that it was superior to the previous title.

but i'm not his dad's right hook

You can tell which one is a shitty reviewer who doesn't play video games, and which one actually gives a shit about video games.

MvCI didn't even hit top 10 in the UK last week, and a shitty remake on the Switch even outsold MvCI,

What do you think?

I played the closed technical test of Project 1v1 and I can tell you it will be dead on arrivel, I am dead sure. Here's why: it's a shittier version of Quake Champions with a lootbox microtransaction model. They said it was a mix of FPS with card game, but there is no actual card game. The "cards" are items you take into the 1v1 matches.

It bombed so hard the lead designer shaved his head like a scorned ex-girlfriend.

Lol, whoops.

I'd definitely eat her taco. Yum.

Reminder this had movie theater advertisements.

Anyone has the BroTeamPill webm?

To be fair, the Steam version of Quake Champions costs 30 dollars while at the same time you can play it for free using Bethesda's shitty launcher, they'll eventually make it free on Steam once the beta period is over but im not sure.

The game did so poorly they had to sell Donte's model to companies who made dental hygiene videos.

Now that's a new low.

All I could find on this was a link to reddit about it. Can you provide a source for this?

I agree As funny as that would be if it were true, is there any proof of that is what actually happened?
Isn't it far more likely that who ever animated that could have just randomly got Donte off of a website it's not hard to acquire the model.

Pic related I found it in minutes

Holy shit my sides.

Don't have one. Sorry.

You knew people would ask for a source.

I have no reason to believe it's fake.

I have no reason to believe it's real.

The game is going to be also available in GOG, and what is the problem of it being on Steam?

Considering that the model in the sfmlab cap has more chest definition, a grey tank top instead of a blue one, a stubbly face texture, and gloves that probably don't come off in any of the bodygroups, I suspect it may be real.

Every fucking time

Fun fact: Rami controls Vlambeer's twitter, but the guy is even less of a dev than Phil Fish. He does none of the work on their games. One other guy does.. But Rami is his PR guy and hypes the games, so Rami gets to run around calling himself a developer, even though he's done jack shit on all the games his name is attached to.

So in addition to Mexican Donte persona, we also get takes dental hygiene seriously Donte.
>He knocks that guy's Slurm off his hand; not because it was poison but because, he thinks it would rot his teeth.

Didn't they came crawling back and begging for attention and money?

Didn't you hear? Games are dead. They make post-games projects now.

patreon.com/MichaelSamyn
I liked this faggot more when he was angry, less pathetic and funnier.
archive.is/nsKFw
I remember his previous manager told him to stay quiet in marketing gatherings, his wife was only allowed to read lines from some cards. But Sunset he made the quality decision of hiring the Megaphone, who was probably too drunk to realize what was going on.

Oh my god, I'm dying!
You got yourself a new job, Donte? Good for you!

Date?

I'm surprised that they would make something based on such an OPPRESSIVE WESTERN religion like Christianity

It's probably (((subversive)))

That's still 230 grand gross profit with the highest price. I wonder how much it cost to make.

Oh i know what you're talking about. That game which you play a tiki god with a bird's head for hair…. Not even joking. That or it has shit pixel art that makes no sense.

Anyone remember pic's game? There still trying to sell this failed game for $20

Why does the image of this man and his pet monkey make me so angry?

This phenomenon needs a name, something like The Sunset Law. If your Peak Players to Metacritic Review ratio isn't at least 10, you are considered below the Sunset Line and are an objective failure. The Sunset Depression is an event in which the ratio is < 1.0. This is a terminal case and ought to be used as scientific reference on how to fuck up EVERYTHING to the maximum.

Is Sunset the only game that fits this bill?

FUCK YOU TAR.

Of course I remember that game. I was looking at the promotional material and screenshots for that game, and I got really excited, because I thought it was a stylish shooter in which you played a blaxploitation chick

and then I found out that you're just cleaning some dude's condo.

Why would you get excited to play a nigger woman?

How did you look at the art and not have alarm bells ringing in your ears?

because I'm not Holla Forums you fucking mouth breather

I can see that. You have shit taste.

I'm glad that we have come to an understanding.

What s sad creature you are.a

Leigh Alexander’s masterpiece…
She was a consultant for that game and it really backfired horribly.

Liking blaxploitation won't redeem your shit taste.

GTA:SA was fun while being Maximum Nigga: The Game, I'd totally play Maximum 70's Disco Queen: The Shooter.

What a sad state this board has come to.

GTA: SA would have been fun if you had been playing a yeti. CJs whining only ever got in the way of my enjoyment.

That being said I'd love an unfiltered GTA: Africa where you can choose to play as a nigging nigger and call yourself General Butt Naked or as a white South African mercenary and go negro hunting ala Fry Cry 2.

The Atari Jaguar of video games.

No public, official numbers for game sales.
Steam spy has the number at 21,493
steamspy.com/app/287600
That number is by scanning public profiles for games owned.

Kickstarter has the number backed at a 2.2k

kickstarter.com/projects/taleoftales/sunset-a-first-person-videogame-thriller?ref=category_most_backed

Ya i should have read the rest of the thread.

Which Goy has a fetish for cards?! No series this has to be a fetish. It seems like some random fetish where publishers inserts "cards" into their game. Perfect example would be Battlefront. At least Witcher3 had a Card game to go with their cards.

So in other words, you have no reason to believe it's real, it being fake is more likely. Gottach

Kinda like her career.
At least she can wine test for off brand wine companies.

I love games that have a card mini-game in them. I wish more developers would make the effort to include them. I think W3 was the only game in a long, long time to actually bother doing so.

Oh fuck off with that. Look at that screenshot. You're telling me that that doesn't look like a prime place to blast some honkies?

It looks so pretentious and hipsterish I can feel the eye cancer growing.

If by stylish you mean absolute shit, then sure. I bet you thought Coffy was a good movie too, faggot.

For fuck's sake, that was made already in the 90s.

There were museum simulators.

Also, postgames. lol

Funny thing. The mini game only happened because a couple of guys were given the okay to make it over a single weekend.

Swod and sworcery?

The music was good.

For fuck's sake.

There is already a superior janitor game that makes cleaning look slightly fun.

Viscera Cleanup Detail
came out a few months after sunset.

That sounds kinda gay user. What if uncle Holla Forums finds out?

The fact they were given the time and resources to make it at least proves there's some soul left in CDPR. Most modern developers wouldn't have bothered even suggesting something like that, let alone came up with it.

Implying that's why he shaved his head.

How can someone fail so hard at basic grammar when writing is literally their job?

Jeb pls go

What a fucking faggot, holy shit.

archive.fo/PnQna

I can't take much more this Berenstain dimension. It's just too much of a wild ride.

Early Access, goy

best thing i've seen all month

the self-loathing pouring off of every post paints a stark picture of an alcoholic, probably overweight, dead end job and hitting his 30's in sheboygan and thinking he's still as cool as he was in high school

and he absolutely is

so what youre saying is that hes Dente now?

only thing i heard was he shit on xboners and shit on devs going like hey fuck you for pricing your mutiplayer only game at 60 bucks I'm doing it cheaper

The "other guy" is Jan Willem Nijman. As far as I've known, he's been mostly behind making the "good" parts of the "good" Vlambeer games and he pretty much just focuses on making and doing stuff rather than stirring up shitstorms like Rami.

Psychonauts.

NMS wasn't well-reviewed. R-right?

I assume the typical situation happened where the (((press))) fellates it to no end and the people who actually bought the game give it scores from 1 to 4.

Metacritic says 61 on PC and 71 on PS4. That's not good at all, but it's still much higher than I expected. Even from critics, who always inflate their numbers, I thought NMS would be getting mostly 5/10 scores.

add Volition's latest to the list

I forgot that game existed

How do professional teams keep making this mistake is beyond me

What gets me more is when they have a series people love, and then decide to change it in every way to sell to an audience that hates it, under the belief that the old fans will buy it simply because of the name, while the new targets will forget the name exists and just buy the new thing because it plays like the shit they're usually told to buy.

what are you talking about user, paid DLC and preorder DLC is the way of the future, what are you a casual pissbaby who's not PREPARED TO HUNT WITH MONSTER BRAND TRADEMARK MONSTER HUNTER HEADPHONES?

Haven't even really been paying attention to the financial side of it, even before that it doesn't look like a Monster Hunter game at all.

what are you talking about it's shaping up to be the best monster hunter ever! (trademark pending capcom 2017)

In your specific case, fans have been buying the same game over and over with barely any changes to it, so that is an actually sound business strategy since their audience has already proved over and over that they do not care about quality or care.

You don't need to change genres every installment in a series to justify a sequel. There's plenty of variety between the games, hence why people end up having favorites.

Only 10% of the sales are non Japanese. It's safe to say that it isn't liked outside of Japan.

Aiming at non-Japanese audiences is one of the biggest problems.

The beta costs money but the game will be free? That sound retarded as shit and I'm sure not true

No, but you need to change something.
How many games are there on the 3DS? Like 6?
They're basically all content DLCs, there's fuckall there to justify a complete new release.

Unless you also want to make the argument that Fifa and Madden deserve a whole new release every year, in which case I'd probably think you were retarded.

Dota 2 Early access back in 2012 cost 20 euros.

The gone homo drama must've maxed out the tolerance for walken gaems among the gaymer public, these kind of games pop up here and there among mainstream media but seem to disappear the moment the advertising contracts expire.

5 - 3G, 4, 4G, X, and XX.

You could make that argument for the G rereleases of most title or XX for X, but even for those it comes out better for the consumer than DLC would since the rerelease has the entire game, so you only need to buy it the one time, unlike with DLC where they'd make you pay for the initial game AND the G content.

It's closer to Street Fighter releasing a "Super" version with all the content of the original release plus more, except they only do it once per generation instead of a dozen times.

Listen I'm not gonna stay here arguing with you about this, I know it's a lost battle trying to tell someone that likes current MH that they're being played with by Capcom.
Think what you will, I've made my point.

All you've proven is that you don't know how shit works - which is fine, if you don't like the games, you have no reason to.

Not at all, World makes that abundantly clear.

It was pretty obvious after the balance to styles/arts was to bloat HP

X was done by a B-team, not the main team.

I think it's obvious that it wasn't after main team decided to make World

Yeah, like I said, World is pretty much what made it clear beyond a shadow of a doubt that the series is fucked beyond salvation.

I really don't see the problem with it, I think its more nintendoddler salt for a game not being on a nintendo system.

Has nothing to do with the system, I've got a PS4 - it's the fact it's been dumbed down from the most core balance points to appeal to people who hate having consequences for their actions and not just automatically winning.

Thanks user, this made my morning. I remember reading a review and thinking "ugh" but figured it'd be a hit with the Gone Home audience.

M8
Also how is it dumbed down, I keep hearing this but never gets explained to me how its dumbed down.

I considered after Dos, the gathering and hunting elements have been continually watered down to sate Nintendoddlers, which culminated with Tri on the Wii U and only got worse.

alright here's how it's dumbed down

Monster AI got made incredibly passive, there's now free healing items flying around everywhere, there's now super buff items on a flat CD, and you can roll out of most lock animations meaning you don't ever really need to commit to an attack.

Actions like using items no longer have to be committed to, you can cancel out of most actions easily with little no repercussion.
You can run while healing.
You can teleport around the map freely.
You can switch out gear midhunt as well as restock on items that you used to have a limited supply of.
You have a bunch of special powerups that give bonuses that amounted to 50+ points of Armor Skills in previous titles.
By the way, no more Minus Skills, and you don't actually need to hit any threshholds, if you have any points in a Skill at all you get bonuses.
Free healing items just floating around the stage, as well as automatic environment traps that either lock down the monster for several seconds or do tons of damage for free.
Monsters will attack each other and ignore the player for several seconds, in the process doing ridiculous amounts of damage to each other while letting the players get free hits in.
When they DO attack the players, they are slow and completely lacking in aggression.
I'm sure there's more I'm failing to remember, but that should be more than enough.

So, did it culminate there, or get worse? The gathering has been watered down for sure, but that was always just busywork that meant you spent less time actually fighting things. 4th generation's mounting mechanic trivialized some fights, but not as many as people like to make out, and it introduced some pretty good new ones. Not sure what else you could mean by watering down the fighting.

Go to the MH general and ask them.

How? The game worked by the monster you were hunting wandering the map, to begin with not homing in on you.
Let's see we got herb, blue mushroom, potion, then hi potion.
You could have cats farm for you take out 10 potions, 5 hi potions and then the materials to make those out into the field for another 10 potions, and 5 hi potions.

Also rolling out of attacks is something that existed with lance, long sword, great sword for the first 1/3 of the attack, and right after an attack if you hit, gun lance also had a roll for some animations.

Already forgotten.

The monster AI won't attack you if there's anything else to attack. In fact they'll actively home in on environmental hazards to hurt themselves with from demo footage.
the free full healing is during hunts, as in they actively fly around.

And it got worse for the rolls, there's no commitment on any weapon now

As in during the fight itself.

And now in addition to those, there's items just floating in midair that by touching you get a full 100% heal. Plus, those potions are no longer limited, since you can teleport back to a base camp at any time to refill back up to your maximum, and thus have zero limits whatsoever.

Yes, some animations. World, on the other hand, looks to let you do it for most if not all animations.

Here's everything I'm aware of, feel free to correct me if anything is wrong

this was a great game really enjoyed it

As do other large monsters.

People were actually looking forward to this? Seemed like the most artificially hyped crap since the first Borderlands.

Never forget

You underestimate how much people love martial arts.

They did that with a DLC for Mafia 3, where your sidekick for the duration of the DLC was effectively that. It was not worth it. It was absolute trash, and the character was absolutely obnoxious. You spend the duration of the DLC killing raciss white cops and literal klan members and she can't shut her giant nigger mouth the entire time. You're supposed to find her endearing, but she's just fucking obnoxious. Pic related, because it also takes place in New Orleans in the 60s, and is infinitely better than Maffia 3.

Mafia III's villains are a gallery of racist strawmen and cliches who fuck around for a few minutes or less before they die, and yet they somehow have more charm and depth than the hero who has hours of cutscenes and dialogue. I've never seen a game fuck up on every aspect like Mafia III did.

It's genuinely a good game, but it went from 19k players to 200 in under a month because the devs are fucking incompetent and couldn't (or wouldn't)
FIX THE FUCKING NETCODE
Whole point of the game is to wander around fighting other players but the online DOESN'T FUCKING WORK

I wonder if fire emblem warriors will be a failure it seems that the more news that comes out of this game the more people are getting pissed at it

It won't bomb. Warriors games always sell decently in japan, Nintendrones will eat anything up and Fire Emblem's new fanbase thinks the series started with Awakening. It won't do as good as Hyrule Warriors but it will sell enough to get a "Legends" release where they'll inject classic characters to bait the older fans in.

It actually has open maps? Could you see more than two people fighting at a time? That actually sounds kind of cool and not at all obvious by the ads.

They're also releasing it near the same day as Mario oddesy

It's open world but it's a fairly small map in comparison to any other open world game. Only a handful of random people connect to you at any given time along with npc's that you can/need to fight repeatedly to "learn" their fighting techniques so you can create your own fighting style. The ads don't sell the game at all and that's ok because the game is broken anyway.

Oh no, something nintendo's fanbase have been putting up with for decades and has had no trouble still throwing money at nintendo.
Hyrule Warriors released right before a Smash bros release and it still sold a fuck load.

What a waste of potential then.

Completely wasted. It wasn't going to revolutionize fighting games or any absurd shit like that but it had the potential to carve out its own niche and maybe even start a new fighting game genre if it caught on but they ruined it day 1 with lack of working servers. Like user said 19k players on release to less than 200 in only 3 weeks. Not because it's a bad game but because people literally can't play it.

Remember the rumors about bloodborne before it's release, that you would randomly bump into other players while walking around yharnam and some would try to feed on you, others would help you?

That's basically how absolve works. When it works it's great, but the map is tiny, not enough enemy vareity and shit technocal issues bring it down.

Other than that the combat really is some of the best, it has everything, feinting, dodging, parrying, timing and on top of that you have to build your own deck of moves and learn it.

YOU CAN CALL ME DANTE THE TARTAR KILLER

HAS A NICE GLEAM TO IT DONT YA THINK

BRUSH YOOOOOUUU

it is not gay, it is brotherhood