The Dark Souls of X

I was thinking about why journalist won't shut the fuck up about "the Dark Souls of X". then I found an old article/blogpost (whatever it is) titled "Dark Souls has ruined video games". First pic related (sorry for the retarded pic but that's just what happens when i try to screen capture the whole thing, and it doesn't archive properly)
The person who wrote it said that after playing Dark Souls They couldn't stand how Dishonored dumps exposition on you, and they didn't like how much Tomb Raider (2013) held your hand and gave you no freedom. They liked Dark Souls because it didn't treat them like a retard and they had to actually think in order to play it.
The article end with it saying.

This person says Dark Souls will ruin every game you play so never play it, what they don't understand is since they played Dark Souls they actually developed a bit of Taste, and with that Taste they start to see that AAA games are Shit.

Whoever says "The Dark Souls of X" knows there is something about Dark Souls that makes it good, but they are too stupid to understand what that is, so when they come across another game that doesn't hold their hand and doesn't treat them like a retard, they can't comprehend that it's just a good game, they need to compare it to Dark Souls since that's the only other game that made them feel this way.
They Spend too many years Playing AAA shit that they have been told was good, and have played so few games that are legitimately good that they need to use the "Dark Souls of X" label to differentiate the two.

At least I think this is why The Dark Souls of X meme won't fucking die. I don't know I just got really pissed when someone called Ninja Gaiden Black "the Dark Souls of Ninja games" is all.

Other urls found in this thread:

w
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Dark Souls 2 is the Dark Souls of Dark Souls

Bloodborne is the Demon's Souls of Dark Souls.

Bloodborne is the PS4 exclusive of Dark Souls.

Spacechem is the dark souls of puzzle games.

Well that's an awful screenshot. Here, take this.

Thanks I couldn't get it to screenshot right.

Journos keep using the Dark Souls of X comparison because they have forgotten the combination of words "Challenging but fair". In fact I bet they have forgotten (Or never learned) what the words challenging and fair mean.

If you have an image manipulation program with cropping and opacity control (for alignment) you can always stitch shit together if you can't get a plugin or whatever to spit a full page cap out right.

I do it to piss people off.

Mega Man Zero is the Dark Souls of X

Inspect element and remove the shitty bottom bar on the page

I probably would have just ad-blocked the overlaying bits that were getting in the way and did a fullpage screenshot.

In firefox-based browsers you just hit SHIFT+F12 and use this command:
screenshot --fullpage

This is the only real cringe in this article. He's also a bit too masturbatory for Dark Souls, but it feels like he's in a newlywed phase with his newfound taste so I'll give it a pass.

Sorry, SHIFT+F2

being a kingdom hearts fan is the dark souls of being a sucker

w ww.please use archive.ism/articles/2015/09/09/kingdom-hearts-29-leaks-for-ps4-new-kingdom-hearts-3-details

i wish there were those who have suffered as i have suffered

The dark souls of /x/ would probably be sleep paralysis/lucid dreaming threads. A lot of jump scares and random attacks from astral beings when you try to attempt that shit, and you will probably fail a lot until you just kind of "get it" at which point it becomes really easy.

I think most people just use it as "The hardcore version of X" because Dark Souls is the only difficult game they know of that many think is difficult.

So Dark Souls gave him a thirst for challenge and risk. Making him realize that games should tell their story through gameplay and not just cutscenes. Or how you play a game as to master it, not just experience it like a movie so replay value becomes important. I like how he's now getting into shoot em ups and such. But he will soon realize that he won't be able to discuss any of this stuff with other casuals or make them understand why they're fun.

one thing I've noticed is that these guys play a retro game (any of them) and say "wow this is like dark souls" even when the game isn't one bit like it. Basically they're your average newfag who started playing around 2005-2007 and hasn't ever experience a game that doesn't threat you as a retard until DS. It's a sad fact that many of those are now in positions of writing about videogames. The average journo has the same knowledge about gaming than that of my 12 year's old nephew.

People seem to miss that the whole appeal of the Souls games in the first place was that they had that feel of good old fashioned video games that didn't hold your hand. Somehow that got twisted into every classic video game being Dark Souls, when it should be the other way around. Are we going to start calling Megaman the Shovel Knight of robot games next?

oh god, its like forbidden knowledge in lovecraft stories, where once you experience it it changes the way you see the world in an indescribable or very hard to describe way, you can near instantly tell who is enlightened and not ect
he is going to be lynched if he isnt careful and hide it and I only just now realized I was doing the same

What he's saying is "don't play a good game because it will make you realise how terrible the video game industry really is".
He wishes he could go back to the days of eating shit and being content with it, because it was all he knew.

The way Souls "tells" the story is fucking retarded. You just pick up items and they, magically, tell you about something that happened. Almost all of the muh deep lore is speculation at best and baseless bullshit at worst. I really wish the idiots would stop it. What it does do well though, is that it rarely interrupts you with cut scenes or the like. You get to focus on the exploration and killing, which is what any sane person plays Souls for.

Ironically you often see people praising Souls storytelling, even though it's almost entirely telling rather than showing. You pick up an item and then you know that person X did Y once.

Nobody here is talking about the story, though. They're talking about the gameplay.
Lorefags can get fucked.

All of these games are piss easy, just like DS.

its some of the best vidya storytelling I have ever seen, in that it tells a compelling story without interrupting the gameplay

im sorry user, I lied, ahving to crawl through novels of text or walk next to an npc while nothing happens or watching a little movie is far superior to actually playing a game and is clearly the better way to tell a story in a video game, my bad

Hello! This "Y is the X of Z" shit has been happening with gaming for a long ass time! Wake the fuck up! Bye!

Oh, forgive him. He didn't get the handbook that stated that all opinions should be 100% in line with the hive mind. Forgive him, Lord Faggot user. Forgive him for not consulting the trium/v/irate for his pre approved opinion.

Dark Souls is the Dark Souls of shitty games.

Dark Souls IS a fantasy RPG, though. What the fuck?

There are so many things wrong with this statement I don't know where to begin.

Nah, OP.. I think you're giving them way too much credit. I think they say everything is the "Dark Souls of {blank}" because it's hard, it makes them feel dumb, they fail a lot, and the only way they can beat the game is with help, cheap strats, which the internet has to lay out for them, or dumb luck.

These are the kind of people who spend all day grinding so they can just overpower the challenges of the game, all while chugging estus like water.

Do you REALLY think that they went through Dank Souls and came out the other side thinking
Fuck no! They think Dark Souls and they think

I wish we had a new F-Zero that could be Dark Souls of high speed futuristic racing games.

I once read a list that said
Like no nigger I'm pretty sure Dark Souls is the Dark Souls of its own fucking genre.

It's right here . For all I know, the author considers Dark Souls to be a genre unto its own, the way they seem to consider "Persona Games" one.

Fallout: New Vegas is the Dark Souls of Elder Scrolls but Dark Souls is a shitty rip-off of Diablo. White hair swordmen are unique concepts that are a subject of copyright. God fucking speed.

I still havent played any Dark Souls game, mostly because even to this day semi-normalfags wont fucking shut up about it to the point when Im already annoyed by it, and memes like
or the
doesnt help either.

Eh the first one is a solid third person action RPG with tons of neat little details. 2 and 3 pretty much lack any soul the first one had.
The whole difficulty meme harmed the series a lot with only Bloodborne being saved from it by the virtue of being different.

that could be true and I will probably give it a try once the dust setlles a bit more, but Im still cautious with videogame memes because the same happened with Skyrim, it was memed to hell and back and when I played it it was mostly dogshit

The only way I ever found DaS lore compelling was when I decided to make a playthrough of 3 with a specific background in mind for the unkindled. She was based on some nondescript kingdom, knew an age of fire and learned some sort of spell that made her able to read the history of an item. Basically just a in-game reason she would be able to know the item descriptions and give an ounce of a shit about the fading of the flame.
That gave some unexpected gravity to factoids I otherwise only ever read, thought "neat I guess" and moved on.

The only meme would be the games are perfect. From Soft has made RPG's since the company started and I hope they will finally stop making Souls games so I can see a Lost Kingdoms 3

I dont think talking to npcs is breaking the gameplay, if you have more options of what to say because thats gameplay too.

Not if all the dialogue choices are superficial. At that point your "game" is just a glorified quiz like the Telltale shitshows.

sure, but telltale has almost nothing else but conversations. The best way to do it is when the dialogue affects the gameplay, faling conversation will result in an unfavorable fight, charisma checks will give you useful items, etc. etc.

Aside from their major series like Armored Core, King's Field, and Souls, most of From Soft's games are lucky to see two entries at most. Honestly a bit surprising that Echo Night averted that and got three.

The thing is most games since forever don't do this.
Baldur's Gate has superfluous dialogue choices, same for shit like bethesda's "RPGs" but they still waste hours of your time with shitty cutscenes and badly written dialogue while the gameplay is on the back burner.
Same for something like Half Life 2 where you are forced to listen to an NPC spouting shit you don't care about in a glorified unskippable cutscene.

yeah but to play the devils advocate, at least they didnt break the first person view and you could move around and watch the scene from any angle, thats a bit better than actual (((cinematic))) cutscene

dark souls was the first good game that journo in the first pic played. while it's sad that they're a games journalist with such lacking video game knowledge it's also a good thing because they know why they like it and because it brings them closer to being able to judge video games based on gameplay. if this person happens to play a bunch of other older and good titles, finds out that the mechanics that make a good game good have already been figured out way before dark souls, they'll stop treating DS like some once in a lifetime godsent, revolutionary game and realize that the new dishonoreds and tomb raiders are in fact just lazy and bad.

The loli maid poster mentioned it and it made me think of the lorefags.

It's far from the only example of a game that does that. The whole audio logs thing that became so popular for a while is an example. Audio logs can be better since there is at least some reason why you suddenly know things, though in most cases it's even worse than item descriptions because everyone goes around recording all of their plot relevant thoughts for no reason and then leave the tapes lying around everywhere. Abyss Odyssey gives you journal pages as you do things that tell you the back story of the game. That's just the first one that came to my mind, and it's definitely not the first game with something like that. Souls didn't do it first or best, and yet the lorefags won't shut up about it.

>thats a bit better than actual (((cinematic))) cutscene
Its actually worse because its not an actual cinematic. There is effort of no camera work, framing or sense of pacing through those. You would lose nothing if it was just a voice in your head through a radio.

There is no effort of*

you could actually lose the view of characters faces if it was just a radio chatter, their facial animations were really good for that time and helped with characterization. IMO staying in first person at least added to immersion

Just do animated portraits. Its not like MGS2 didn't do it.
The facial animations were good but as I said, they add fucking nothing.

This post is the Dark Souls of 'This is the Dark Souls of X'

big part of characterization is how characters look at each other, I dont see how you could do that in animated portraits only

Considering how much of the cutscenes are literally characters talking to you while walking to somewhere I call bullshit. Also the fact that you have a free camera movement means the developer already don't care whether you see their shitty puppets going through the motions or not.
There are so many NPCs which you meet only for a single time in the whole campaign but still waste your time with those unskippable cutscenes.

Yes, faggot. It's an action RPG. It's as much of an RPG as Dragon's Dogma is, the whole point of that article listing. Do you lack basic critical thinking skills?

I think they talk to each other in those big group talking scenes more than they talk to you

The problem lies in giving that label to all high difficulty games: Ghouls 'n Ghosts is not the Dark Souls of action platformers, but they do share in the philosophy of highly challenging gameplay.

In short, call them for what they are:
DIFFICULT GAMES

"Oh my gawd they are forcing me to listen to one minute of dialogue, this is like being raped". Man up faggot, people who complain about everything end up taking it up the ass.

That is genuine shit design though, at least MGS have skippable cutscenes.

I am not gonna excuse shitty design decisions just because its your favorite game
Get better taste.

Journos keep using the "Dark Souls of X" because they don't play video games.

Dark Souls is paraded around as being difficult, so anything that has any kind of difficulty is "like Dark Souls".

Dark Souls has gothic architecture, with dragons and whatnot. Any other game that shows this architecture and has dragons is "like Dark Souls".

Anything that demands some kind of skill when playing is "like Dark Souls." Because "Dark Souls" to journalists, is the height of difficulty and challenge, because they took the memes seriously and watched playthroughs on youtube.

cuckchan has arrived

That's the thing. Dark Souls is the modern Ghouls n Ghosts (Castlevania would be more accurate, but bear with me). They've got the whole thing backwards.

Surprisingly good article OP

Just pirate it
Its a good game.

This I can agree on, since they are both artificially difficult.

Let's start there.

Im playing the dark souls 3 of the dark souls franchise

the above stateny makes this post relevant to this thread now

Anyway the previous DS thread died so im asking here.

Whats a good scaling weapon with low stat requirements i can switch my build to? I really like high stamina so ive been doing great so far but its almost capped at 40.

i dont want pvp suggestions or browsing whats meta online because i pirated, no need to min-max. thanks!

Try Any. Its a really good weapon to beat the game.

The Dark Souls of Dubs Threads

Those are some pretty shitty comparasions indeed, the only reason i play Dark Souls its cause it reminds me of the good old Medievil when i was a kid, i havent find anything good that matches it except Dark souls. Oh and in another thread some user say that Dark Souls is the Medievil of "modern gaming".

its time to spec. i've decided to go balls deep in STR and trade in my +7 raw halberd for a +6 heavy dragonslayer axe. it has swag lightning damage built in and the C scaling in STR hopefully makes up for the damage difference when compared to my halberd.

other noteworthy options if any of you want to weigh in (in order of desirability):
>wolnir's holy sword why the fuck does this need FTH?

I always thought Medievil felt like Banjo Kazooie meets Castlevania.

This. I remember back in the Demon's Souls games most of the buzz on Holla Forums was praising it for having NES-style difficulty. Personally I think the game is the most in common with classic Castlevania (pre-SotN, especially Rondo with its level design), but most of the comparisons back then were to Mega Man. The whole "HARDEST GAME EVER XDDDD" bullshit is by reviewers who settled for games journalism because they couldn't get jobs as journos elsewhere.

*the Demon's Souls days

Holy shit i've died more than 10x to sullivan's dog under the long ladder into the watery area.

How are you even supposed to beat this thing? I thought ladder drop cheesing would work but it fucking doesnt.

im literally leveling up from just farming the skellies and then dying over and over. Halp. How2gitgud

I remember it always being called a modern "Ghouls and Ghosts".

Sorry, should say "Ghouls 'n Ghosts."

fucking finally.

man-mode-ing it with a mix of roll spamming for distance and liberal estus chugging between very few attack chains to not lock into animation did the trick.

Nothing wrong with it.
Divinity OS2 is Dark Souls of CRPGs and I'm loving it.

Is Holla Forums is the Dark Souls of chans?