Buying a Switch

I wanted to buy a Switch a few months ago, but I couldn't. Maybe it's a bit retarded to want a console for two games, but I really want to play Zelda BOTW and Splatoon 2. Apparently cool games keep coming out, I've seen several games I wanna play, but it's mostly those two.
Now, I've also been hearing and reading it has problems. like, the internal memory is limited. Some people apparently have that problem, or claim it is a problem, and I don't doubt it.
Now I could buy a Switch, I have the money now, but I thought to myself "hey, what if you wait a bit longer and see if they actually fix the problems it reportedly has?"
So, you think it's better to wait for new revisions of the hardware to come out? It could be a while, but if I buy one tomorrow and four or five months from now they release one without the reported problems, and probably a cheaper model, I'd have to kick myself.

TL, DR: worth waiting for the next revision of the Switch before buying one?

Other urls found in this thread:

nintendotoday.com/nintendo-switch-manufacturing-cost/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

There aren't going to be any revisions. My dad John Nintendo said so.

My dad says youre dad cleans the toilet at Nintendo and he even manages to do that wrong, which is why everyone at the office call him John Nintendon't.

The internal memory isn't much of a problem. You just need a bigger MicroSD card. Interestingly enough the memory chip is socketed. As in you can pop it off and replace it with another Switch's one.
Wait until Mario Odyssey, they'll probably have the console with games as a bundle by then. Newer bundle hardware won't have any of the issues the original batches had, and it'll probably work out cheaper.

There are Mario Odyssey and Splatoon 2 bundles, but
B-but you get a carrying case!

That makes sense, I guess Mario Odyssey will change everything, although I don't really wanna play that game.
I could always sell it, though. If it's less expensive I'll buy it right then. Or maybe someone will trade the game for one of the ones I wanna play.
Are we super sure the hardware won't improve, though?

If you really need to buy it, wait for used ones to drop in price. Don't give those slit-eyed jews money.

Just play all the stuff a generation behind, it's way cheaper.

Who knows if they'll even do that?

The Switch isn't the 3DS. The Wii U as a home console never received a hardware revision. The Wii was reconceptualized as the Wii Mini, which happened way beyond the console's prime and took different features away.

There's no precedence that would suggest that Nintendo would most certainly come out with a revised Switch console in the near future because it's meant to be Nintendo's primary console and not a secondary console like their Game Boy and DS line of consoles were.

It's hard to think of a console or any piece of hardware without revisions.
Well, I didn't know that. Makes sense, since it didn't sell well. I guess Nintendo has a history of changing the hardware, but not to answer the concerns of the consumers. Just to make them cheaper.
But heck, i'll take that, too. The less I pay for the machine the more games I can afford.

This nintendoddlers are the fucking worse.
From sperging out that a monhon is coming to the pc, to rabidly defending the switch, to the point they down play the launch problems with the device.

Absolute worse fanbase.

I think you're forgetting a thing or two…
To name a few, but those are the big ones I think.

nintendo literally always comes out with several versions of a console. if there's nothing in the library right now that you totally MUST own - and protip, there isn't right now - then at the very least you could wait for a special edition that you really like or something i held off on buying a wii u until the wind waker special edition went on sale myself

think about it this way man. the gameboy advance SP was the best goddamn handheld ever and was like the third version of the GBA. the wavebird is the gamecube controller the gamecube should have been released with in the first fucking place. how many versions of the DS/3DS have there been? there's probably a version of the switch in the pipe right now that has better battery life, a better graphics processor or some shit. wait

You forgot Steven Universe.

Those are children for the most part. I hate the 30+ fags who have the same mind set as the children autists.

The Switch is selling like gangbusters at the current price and hardware revision, they have no reason to change anything substantial for at least 2 more years. If you can wait that long then go ahead. Otherwise if you will probably break down and buy one before then, then the longer you wait, the more butthurt you will be when the new revisions come out.

It's not a bad idea to wait until after Christmas though. Nintendo will probably do a Direct in January and reveal their plans for the year. At that point, you will be pretty much guaranteed that Nintendo won't surprise you for at least another year.

Its really not its doing better then the Wii U, and its initial sells outpeak the Wii, but the Wii started selling a year into its release.
I guarantee the Switch sales start dropping off.

nah I think nintendrones top them off at this point. least those bases keep to themselves. i mean hell who else do you see openly admit to their assfucking that nintendo gives to them time and time again.

Yeah, just because Nintencucks are slightly less shit doesn't mean Nintencucks aren't high class fanboy faggot cucks.

Reminder the joycons are shit controllers for most 3rd party games. Want to play older 2D games or waste money on Ultra SF2? That will be another 70 dollars for a Hori controller with an actual dpad.

Except the home console revisions don't add shit, in fact, based on the Wii Mini, they only ever take away. The NES got a top loader model years later that did away with the hinged model (which was a trick to make it look like a VCR and not a game console because vidya was toxic after the crash), but it didn't add or remove any features. The SNES got no revisions. The N64 got different colours. The GameCube too. The Wii U was on life support from day one after Nintendo pulled console support to prop up the 3DS which was struggling (which in hindsight was a smart move, if it had to be one or the other their portables are always the moneymakers).

It's not selling better than the Wii U ATM because supply is constrained at multiple points in manufacturing. The Wii U was sitting on shelves, the Switch is selling out and still hard to find six months later. Sales will probably uptick hard over Christmas now that there's a proper Mario game, and Mario Kart is already out.

Switch softmodded when?

user you forgot the top loaders best feature removing composite video output and making it RF only
There were the 1CHIP models from 1994 onward that improved the ass quality RGB output from previous SNES models.

Answer: buy one as soon as the OS gets hacked, before it gets patched. Or regret it once you need to downgrade.

Oh also
Again, later models in 2004 got the benefit of losing component video output because Nintendo was retarded in making the cube use their rare proprietary cable nobody bought to output 480p. And even then you had games up to 2005 featuring 480p as an option.

No need to deflect your faggotry to others, Nintencuck.

You forgot PC Mongoloid Race, Sonyggers, and fighting game degenerates.

Nice fuck up from earlier, Nintencuck.

I don't like Nintendo either though.

Sure you don't.

It'a called a Switch because before long you "switch" back to a better platform. If you're seriously considering this, you either have far too much disposable income or are an idiot.

Don't go proving their point for them.

Thanks sony

I don't think there will be a hardware revision aside from small internal revisions in the future, battery life isn't something that can be fought very effectively at the current point in time, and a smaller model is completely out of the question just considering that the battery takes up more than half the space behind the display, but waiting for one isn't going to hurt you, the price of the system will go down over time, the library will grow larger and some games will get a price drop or will be available second hand at a discounted price, on top of that MicroSDXC will become cheaper and faster over time, not that a good MicroSDXC is hard to come by, just make sure it has a read speed of 90MB/s at least.

I'd say Switch is approaching that good buy status fast, so if you do decide to wait you shouldn't really need to wait that much longer.

I'm considering buying the Odyssey bundle but I can't think of many other games I'd want to get past that
Of course there's also the issue of price, nearly $400 for basically one game, even though it might be GOTYAY

I'm waiting for the hacks because that'll bring more games to it. Ideally I want them to make a smaller one too because there's only so much junk I want to take with me. One laptop + 1 handheld.

>was made region free unlike the 3DS but NoA/Treehouse wants to influence japanese devs (first-party mostly but also third-parties like the Senran Kagura guy) to cater to the (((western audience)))

Fair criticism, but this one's wrong - the Switch itself has a pretty big cooling system, including a fan.

That being said, I didn't find the screen to be of poor quality and the joyconns work identical to any normal controller. I am genuinely curious why people think the joyconns are gimmicky, what disadvantage do they have to the "normal" controller? You can hold them one in each hand and use them just as any other ol' controller, or plug them into the frame-thingy if you don't have freakishly huge hands.

I would rather have the controllers being complete part of the hardware like it was the case with the previous handhelds, than something that relies on bluetooth, once taken out, and get interference issues with objects and devices (laptops, phones, anything wireless) laying around. The "2 controllers in one" gimmick is something I can see working for kids, not for full-grown adults however.

Also even with its internal fan system, the Switch still heat up especially when docked. You get the math when you're trying to cover up a tablet in a dock that has no holes/fans. The dock also doesnt have soft paddings all around it, and the switch wobble in, which make screen scratchings easy even with the most care.

Nintendo has a page where it states that dead pixels are a "feature of LCD screens"
which is complete opposite of what Nintendo used to do back to the NDS years

This is obviously a personal experience so your millage may vary, but I had zero issues with using the two joycons separately, even attaching them to the grip is way more comfortable than I thought it'd be. Mind you I have fucking enormous hands. But the bluetooth interface does suck, if anything they need an option for wired play (The pro controller can be plugged in via USB-C port into the dock).

The dock cooling thing most likely has its merits, at least the fact that the dock is completely enclosed is spot on. I personally haven't had it heat up too much ever but I can see it being a problem. There's pic related which can alleviate the problem but it's most definitely something that should've been there out of the box.

Lastly, has there actually been many people with dead pixels? I can find a bunch of videos and posts about Nintendo's comments on dead pixels, but not one where someone actually claims to have dead pixels on their screen.

The Switch costs more than 300 now. Amazon has just the console at 360ish. Walmart has it at 370ish.

This is the correct approach. With PC games you should also buy with a 3-4 year delay. The only downside to this is maybe missing out on multiplayer games but modern ones are shit and anything worth playing will still have a community 3 years down the line (less kids by then too).

I think that was b8

The drought is over now. Every major retailer in my area has the Switch in stock. The Splatoon 2 bundle came out on September 9th at Walmart, and not a single person bought the stock they had locally for two weeks before I finally caved and bought one yesterday. Two weeks of a special edition version of the console, and nobody bought any of them. Toys R Us, Target, Walmart, and fucking Gamestop all have plenty of Switches where I live. When Splatoon 2 came out on July 21st, they had another shipment of the unit, which all sold out at all major retailers within two hours of being on shelves. Now it's a non-issue.

This really wiggles my walnuts. You can't simultaneously be angry that other systems are getting a game, then turn right around and say that the game is trash and the franchise is dead.

wait for one to show up on ebay for about $50. you'll be waiting for a while but you wouldn't have missed anything

How about waiting for it to get games?

What meme is this?

Every time I consider burning some money on a Switch, a family member shows up and tells me that they badly need money or they'll get evicted or have to go weeks without their medication or they'll lose their car or some shit, and I end up losing more money than if I just bought the fucking console. It's made me start to mentally associate the Switch with my retarded family.

you almost got me, ruseman

Switch costs $257 to manufacture

nintendotoday.com/nintendo-switch-manufacturing-cost/

What? Why?
How?

I bought one a few months back. All memes greentext memes about what an idiot I am for doing that aside I would wait user. I played the hell out of BotW and loved it + the portability to play an interesting non mobile games between calls as a paramedic. Unfortunately your single player options are still kind of shit. The Octopath Traveler demo is shit and the combat sucks. SNES RPGs are better. Theres vanilla minecraft I picked up for nostalgia but put down after 2 hours. It's still boring. Nuerovoider is a fun twinstick shooter for blowing off steam and I dont think it was that expensive. I can't speak to ARMS or Splatoon since I cant play multi games due to commonly have to hit the sleep button and actually go work.

All in all its not a bad system but it's currently overpriced and the selection has underwhelmed me. And for the love of god avoid the ABSOLUTE PIECE OF SHIT 'indie' game called Kingdom: New Lands. I impulse bought it from the e-shop for 15 and I couldn't be more cucked for getting that mobile phone port piece of garbage fuckaroni.

pic unrelated

You forgot Mega Man fans.

good job proving his point

Them tities may be unrelated, but I sure ain't complaining.

They keep to themselves for the most part. The autism and rage that the Sonic and Minecraft base give can even be enjoyable. Nintencucks are the absolute worse and are on the same level as furries.

Oh, come on now. You know you don't mean that.

If you want some good bursts of pick-up-and-play on Switch I can recommend Quest of Dungeons, a very simple roguelike. It's not super deep as some roguelikes tend to be, so you won't be overwhelmed on opening and closing it, but it has replay value and will let you mindlessly dungeon crawl for hours on end.

I'm caught between a game and potential free games. I know for a fact that there will be several games for the Swtich that I will like, it's a Nintendo handheld I know what kinds of games they get. But I've been spoiled by my hacked 3DS and Wii U and I don't want to buy games, and the only firmware that's possibly exploitable at the moment is 3.0.0. Now, mostly wild Switches are at that firmware, but the first game I actually want, Mario Odyssey, will be the first major release post 3.0.0, and the other game I want Xenoblade 2 will almost certainly be the same if not a higher firmware. I know what you're saying, "It will get hacked eventually", but Nintendo is cracking down hard on hacking with some white hat faggots and we just don't know what will come of all it. I guess what I'm saying is I hate paying for video games.

there's hacks out already for the switch?

they found exploits but only exploits.

Yeah, it's such a good companion that you can play them right in your PC 😏

They also defended the paid online subscription, even after they learned about the shitty infrastructure (smartphone app only, no online chat, etc.).

No, not really, they come close though.

But I wasn't talking about nintendo themselves, I was referring to nintencumguzzlers like yourself.

Has it been hacked yet

Yeah, I didn't want to say anything but I don't get what he means by that.

He means that you should have a PC to play everything that isn't exclusive to the switch.

pirates literally always find a way. it's just a matter of time and inconvenience, but i guarantee that by this time next year there'll probably be a working and reliable loader, no matter what kind of bullshit nintendo tries to pull to stop it

I mean that nintendo consoles tend to have a much higher amount of good exclusives compared to sony and xshit consoles, which are mostly trash multiplats like nier that you can play on pc anyways.

Of course there will be many revisions.
This isn't as important as waiting until it's cracked though. Think about it, paying 60 bucks for a fucking nintendo game? Just wait. Don't be insane.

The switch has literally two games total right now, one of which isn't even an exclusive. Why even buy a switch in the first place anyways? Are you really that big of a Splatoon 2 fan?

You should have gotten a real console like the 3DS.

What are they??????

For the faggots in this thread who wish to wait for Switch cfw and backup loading (aka piracy) before buying one i have bad news for you:

The ns, like it's competitor consoles, has eFuses, a hardware prevention specifically made to counter firmware downgrading (each big update burns one fuse and requires a certain amount of fuses to be working, meaning that if you downgrade while having 6 fuses burned, to a fw version that was supposed to have 4 burned your console will hard-brick). It is basically impossible to circumvent efuses with a software solution.

The last easily hackable fw version was 3.0.0 (current: 3.0.2, 3.0.1 having fixed the webkit hax that could be used to run, register, unregister, etc. any service on the console) and since nintendo sells updated console (at the time of their manufacture), finding consoles that run on 3.0.0 or earlier at retail will soon be impossible.

If you want to run homebrew and shit on your switch your only hope is to grab one that is under 3.0.0 or below RIGHT NOW, block updates with a dns, do not play recent games (there is a list of fw version requirement per game out there). A library for homebrew creation was recently released to the public so expect things to progress in several months.

If you have a switch with an older firmware, be aware that non-updated ARMS and the new pokkén embark a firmware update (arms → 2.4 i think? pokkén 3.0).

3.0.1+ = no hax (chance is too small, and if it happens homebrew will be crippled by the fix)

The 360 has efuses and it has tons of hacks. What's the difference?

Have the launch issues been rectified?

Being only on the Wii-U it might as well be an exclusive.

Mario is coming soon

Not to rain on the parade, but how many people ever really gave a shit about the Mario franchise? Mario Kart was the best thing that ever came out of it, but the mainline platformers lack appeal (as do platformers in general). Certainly not worth a full $60 price tag either.

Honestly at some point somebody will make a hack and firmware downgrade regardless, for now I'm gonna buy the one game every 3 months that's worth buying and just update the fuckin thing to play them. There's nothing to pirate on this console anyway that isn't also on PC or Wii U. What are you gonna do, hack it and then play Splatoon, an online game?

What is wrong with it?

is that a rhetorical question, because that's exactly what you can do with nintendo piracy.
the paid online is a really good deterrent for me buying the switch. if they release a handheld with paid online i'll get to stop buying nintendo consoles at long last

Isn't that what the Switch is? It's certainly not a home console that's for sure. They've also delayed the paid online for so long I'm half convinced they'll drop it.

Splatoon is one hell of a game, tbh.
Worth buying the console just for that, imo. Also the slimy squid girls are perfect for both lewds and lovs.

What's with the meme that these things are sold out everywhere? Just going to Target yields a shelf of the damn things.

I would say buy one now while you still can, then buy the revision as well when it comes out a year or two from now. You are going to miss out on the games if you wait.

I sincerely doubt there'll be a hardware revision that boosts performance, and a size upgrade ie XL would need specially sized joycons.

Probably lots of fiddly bits, has a gyroscope, NFC reader/writer, whatever "HD rumble" entails. For $300 it's a fantastic price/power ratio, really.

Which ones?

In europe they're out almost everywhere, don't know for america, although I do know a lot of places are hoarding their stock exclusively because they can sell it with terrible bundles to inflate the price.

for something the size of the switch it will probably be smaller version with a flip cover to not scratch the screen when in a pocket, an actual version meant to be portable

They were sold out for months.
Now they finally have faith in their product.
Took my friend this long to get one.

That's what I'm saying. My local Walmart had two Splatoon 2 bundles sitting in the case for two weeks until I finally bought one, and then a friend of mine bought the other. Not the mention the gray and neon consoles sitting around at Target, Toys R Us, Fucking Gamestop, and Kmart

The drought has been over since the beginning of this month. They'll be sold out come holiday season, though.

Same issue of smaller joycons needing to be designed and manufactured, unless you were just thinking they would squash the screen down to a box rather than a rectangle. Also doing so without sacrificing power.

They are going to be sold out now until the holidays, Walmart started their layaway program and now every parent with kids who want it is going to pay it off over the next few months.

random race and sex makes you play as either a nigger or a niggress for the most games you jump into, on top of that the game is simplistic as fuck and just unsatisfying for the most part.

You're definitely right, the current Switch form factor is completely fine, internal revisions are more than likely all we will get until Switch 2.

Doubt it, this is Nintendo, general consumers don't generally have an interest in them.

What country user?

I have been thinking of buying one too if only for splatoon 2 and BotW but I need to save up so a bundle would be the way to go.

just buy new joycons m8, its not that hard to get the color you want.

I have two pairs to play with 4 friendos

You think that's bad? Here in Huezil it's close to $600.

Yeah, I specifically searched for it, since there was mention of a Japanese release. Only a few sites vaguely mentioned it, and it was some of the worst like Polygon and IGN. My friend was shopping at Walmart when he saw one there, unbeknownst to him, was dumbfounded, and promptly bought one. Ebay and Amazon have the pink and green joycons for sale, but you'll pay out the ass like I paid out the ass for a Splatoon pro controller. Also, the joycons and the pro controller don't have the exact same pink and green colors. It's a minor gripe, but they're not quite the same.

Lower resolution screen makes it seem far worse than it is. Plenty of tablet games render offscreen at 720p and scale to fit the screen. Shaders are expensive at higher resolutions.

I was at a walmart the other day and they were out there.

huezillians make 50 cents a day

I buy a console because it has the games I want. So far the Switch has a few games I want and that makes it the most promising console to me.

Its the joycons that are jacking up the cost. The left one in particular. Nintendo just had to put some gimmicky shit in its console.

Don't know about you but personally I would buy a console at least two years after its release. Might be cheaper or you could get a good bundle of games with it plus by then, a number of good games should come out and they would be dirt cheap to boot. This doesn't work with PS4 and Xbone though.