Dualshock 4

Hey Holla Forums I just got pic related for my PC

What sorts of games do you think play well with it? I was actually playing some of Metroid Prime with it via dolphin and was surprised it played pretty well.

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/Ryochan7/DS4Windows
ebay.com/itm/2X-FOR-PS4-2000mAh-3-7V-Battery-Replacement-for-Sony-PS4-DualShock-4-Controller-/121993923688
ebay.com/itm/PDP-Energizer-2x-Extra-Life-Charge-System-Charger-for-DualShock-4-Controller-PS4-/172820713355?epid=691321041
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I am getting some serious cancer just looking at these. How can you buy this over the xbox controller?

Everything that you'd want to use a gamepad with. It's the best modern gamepad for multi-system emulation/shitty console ports that play best with a gamepad, but this really didn't need its own thread.

what else would you do? Pirate it?

You know that works both ways retard.

the Xbox One S controller is better imo. With that said I recommend older games and emulators since the Dualshock 4 doesn't support XInput.

You fucked up. Sony cut corners on build quality in order to include the useless touch pad and speaker. You should have got a DS3 or Xbone controller.

I hope you enjoy buttons that feel like they came from a McDonald's toy.

At least you didn't get the 360 controller.

It's a controller like any other. Use it for platformers and twin stick shooters, and the occasional console port that doesn't play well with a keyboard and mouse.
If you use Steam, you can use the Steam Controller config thing with it. It adds a lot to what you can do with a controller.
And since everyone's going on about different controllers:
Steam Controller > Wii U Pro > Dualshock 4 = X1

Yes it does. Stop lying on the internet.

don't the dualshock 3 and 4 have the same buttons.

No. But since I have both in front of me I just felt each and frankly the DS3 feels more toy-like.

like they feel the same, just the material of the buttons being slightly different, the ds3 (more specfically the sixaxis) buttons reflect more.

LOOK HERE OP
if you get sound issues while using a DS4 on pc its probably because the default settings to various programs will send audio into the output within the controller itself, don't forget to turn those off

you can remap the touchpad and the share button on pc though which makes it a pretty good controller for PC use. The D-pad is still much better than the rest of the controllers available save for maybe dualshock 3 which is a pain in the ass to use on PC though

Yeah, it's probably the same mechanism, but the DS3 buttons just feel lighter and softer, mind you that could be from the years of play I've put them through vs the newer DS4.

Does it? it's been awhile since I used it with my PC.

DS3 buttons are analog, DS4's are digital

Either way I have no idea how someone could put DS4 down in terms of build quality and then recommend a DS3 instead. I've owned a couple of both and the DS3s are pretty light and flimsy.

Install DS4Windows or Inputmapper, and you've got Xinput, Dinput, and can even bind it to your keyboard to play extremely old games that don't support either. You can disable the light bar, remap the touchpad to shit like volume control, etc.

The steam controller has a few nice features, but the cons far outweigh the pros.

This reminds me

OP, TURN OFF THE FUCKING LIGHT BAR
IT WILL SAVE YOUR BATTERY AND IT LOOKS FUCKING STUPID

I own a DS3 but hate how annoying it is to setup on PC. The DS4 was really simple and I really like that I can just plug it in whenever my PC starts and unplug it

The Xbone controller I dislike because it's good for shooters but almost everything else it feels really awkward.

I tend to use it with a cable

DS4 was made for Rocket League

ds3 is for baby hands
Xbone is worse than 360 and overpriced
ds4 is good tier but I can't justify the price
x360 is good tier and cheap as shit

Conclusion
360 controller is still the best controller

Also use the Ryochan fork as it's being constantly updated (the original Jay2Kings has been abandoned for a year)

github.com/Ryochan7/DS4Windows

One problem I have with the 360 controller is how easy it is to wear out

I occasionally go to a used video game store and I ask to see their used controllers, almost every 360 pad looks mauled and if I plug it in, barely works. The sticks have travel and deadzone issues. It's less of a factor with PS3 controllers

The only advantages the Xbox One S controller has is rumble triggers - which nobody supports outside of Microsoft first party titles you can only get through the Windows 10 Store - and the fact that you don't need a proprietary Microsoft Bluetooth Dongle. At least on the new models. Old Xbox One controllers still need it.

Otherwise - the DS4 -IS- an Xbox One controller so far as DS4Windows is concerned, plus it has gimmicks like gyro input for steering and shit. The trackpad acts as a laptop touch-pad, so you can play classic Point & Click Adventure games from the couch with a controller. Also, the face buttons aren't annoyingly huge domed clicky pieces of shit - they sit flat, making them ideal for classic game emulation - at least if your only choice in controller is between DS4 and One S.

the dual-shock line handles most games very well in my experience
in the case of Gamecube games, I recommend rotating the button layout 90 degrees to the right compared to the SNES layout. This places A at the cross position and the X and Y buttons in a more natural position

Then disregard unless like me you find the light annoying. I'm a HTPCfag so I use mine across a living room-like setup.

The only people selling their old controllers are the retards who throw them around when they lose
I own 2, ones a cheap third party one that still works well, but the stick rubber has started to peel. The others a first party that I got with my 360 a few years after launch and still works perfectly fine.

A Playstation 4 controller is not ideal for PC. You should have bought a Xbox One controller.

DS4windows works just fine. It's also very easy to configure

See

One of the worst controllers ever made, it feels like a crap chinese knockoff of a dualshock.

You just got yourself a poorly compatible and poorly designed controller. I mean, the retarded touchscreen just says it all. Sonyggers don't want you to have fun, they want you to pay their overlord even if you're a PC gamer.

Fucking kill yourself faggot. There is literally no reason to pick one of those up over a 360 controller.

Thing works with xinput and direct input with ds4windows

I don't actually mind the touch screen since I can rebind it. Like it can be just a really big start/select button. Or alternatively you can bind things like swipes to different functions like raising/lowering volume. You can also use it as a mouse which is handy for games that have things like launchers so you don't need to get up to select things.

A ton of games play better with a controller user

360 controller
plug and play

I actually did some research before settling on the PS4 controller, it seems like it has better triggers and d-pad, even if the Xbone pad is better than the 360's one.
Bullshit

Oh shit, really? Didn't know that. Where's that setting?

A d-pad that actually works? That clicks in like a normal fucking d-pad? Without hitting the housing because it's not built on a fucking stick that can't pivot far enough to activate without hitting the fucking plastic casing?

It actually doesn't by itself. Steam kind of makes it work if you use it through that, but the controller itself just has some standard gamepad driver.
There's a program called DS4Win which not only gives it xinput, but also comes with a whole host of features, including changing the light, setting different keys or macros for buttons, using the gyroscope for certain shit, and so on.

I know. That's why I called bullshit.
In practical terms it supports both Dinput and Xinput.

The only use for a ds4 over a Xbone controller is the pad, which is useful for fightans if you don't have a stick. The other argument would be made by subhumans who would use a shitty trackpad instead of a mouse and keyboard.

Unless you're talking about shmups, you're a retard.

360 has a shitty dpad and sticks which will eventually break if you play any game which require intense rotation, it sucks.

Pretty much anything that doesn't need a mouse or a billion hotkeys is better to play with a controller.

DS4win configurations in pics related are pretty useful for saving battery.

Wtf this never happened to me. How to disable this anyways?

Definitely get a bluetooth dongle if you ever feel like it.
Not expensive and the controller actually gets less input delay than with the USB cable I have here. You can just charge it with a phone charger and it charges real fast.

Plug and play with an inferior product, instead of easily getting a some simple software and then playing with a better one.

Anyone who says the DS3 or any xbox controller is better than the Dual Shock 4 is just retarded or it's a brand hate thing. I don't own any sony consoles but the dual shock 4 is hands down the best controller you can buy for pc.

Buttmad little boi

well I do hate Sony as a brand, but that's not the only reason why I dislike their controller. The thumbstick are simply to low placed for my taste. I can't reach the left one properly. Also not a fan of those buttons. I am used to abxy, that circle square triangle bullshit looks retarded.

epic bait mate
you sure made me look like a retard by making me respond to you looking like an even bigger retard

Why can you reach the right one and not the left one? Also note, the bottom of the d-pad on the Xbox controller you posted is even lower than the right thumbstick.

underagefag spotted
They took Nintendo's buttons and then reversed their order. Now THAT isn't retarded.

I can reach neither of those properly, but the left one is the one I mainly use.
can't really say anything about the xbox one controller, I still use the 360 one and never tried the new one.
how exactly does that make me underage? I never owned a playstation, not because I wasn't born, I simply had snes and later a n64 and that shit was enough for me.

but honestly, what is it with sonyfags calling everyone who didn't grow up with a sony console underage? Every xbox vs sony controller discussion comes down to this.

Do you have really small girly hands?

I hate all the playstation controllers for the simple fact that they're designed for nips with tiny baby hands. Playing for more than like 30 minutes is uncomfortable.

I actually have rather large hands, I preferred the original fat xbox controller over the newer smaller one. The playstations layout is simply weird, the stick is to low for my taste.

The shape thing is retarded though. Japanese consoles and games use Circle to select and Cross to cancel. For some reason they decided to flip this when bringing it to the west. Meanwhile Nintendo, Sega and Microsoft never had this problem because A is always select and B is always cancel.

Also this. A button is green and means something like okay while B is red and means no.

Because Xbox controllers sucks compared to Playstation ones and xbox controllers are made only since 2002. Playstation controllers aren't all that great either but at least they have a dpad that isn't stiff and barely useable.

Play with the duke or a dreamcast controller then. I'm sure there must be some chink corporation that made a usb adapter for those by now.

Suggestions for DualShock4
1. Put a neat silhouette decal over the lightbar.
2. Use DS4windows or something similar to use x-input when it's convenient (and set lightbar to whatever color you want)
If you use it wirelessly:
3. Replace the battery with a better one or use an external battery attachment because the stock battery life is shit.
If you use it wired:
4. Get a magnetic detachable Micro-USB because if you plug/unplug a micro-USB into the controller repeatedly, eventually it won't plug in firmly and will keep disconnecting.

The underage thing was just a small joke.
First it's because you didn't have to own a ps1 in order to play one.
And then, if you've grown with a Nintendo console, Xbox's reversed letters are even more annoying.

The flip in the west is what was retarded. Even on older nintendo games, the rightmost A button confirmed and the bottom B button canceled shit(N64 was the only exception, but that one is a big fucking mess entirely). Xbox doubled down and made the A button be the bottom one and B the righmost one. The position of the buttons is more important than it`s attributed letter, since you press it with your fingers that can't read. Doesn't mean shit if its A to confirm and B to cancel if they're on the wrong positions.

Or just don't use the lightbar at all since you can't even see that shit while playing. Saves a surprising amount of battery.
Any recommendations on better batteries though?

top kek

Thanks for confirming you're underaged. For nintendo, Both B and A were red originally, then purplish-blue in the west (or yellow and red in Japan). Nintendo never kept their buttons the same color over different generations.

Tell me, what controller it has less functinality than, and what functionlities these are.

It has less functionalities than a Dual Shock 3. All pressure sensitive buttons are removed so its worse to emulate PS2 games.

Gayest fucking post of the week

For internal batteries I got two 2000mAh batteries for 13 bucks: ebay.com/itm/2X-FOR-PS4-2000mAh-3-7V-Battery-Replacement-for-Sony-PS4-DualShock-4-Controller-/121993923688 but the seller fucked off somewhere and won't be back until November. There's plenty other batteries like this though.

Might be easier just to get batteries that attach externally and let you lay the controller in a charging dock. Those will extend battery life much farther, but can be fucking expensive by comparison: ebay.com/itm/PDP-Energizer-2x-Extra-Life-Charge-System-Charger-for-DualShock-4-Controller-PS4-/172820713355?epid=691321041

k
Meanwhile the DS4 has a touchscreen(that can be used as mouse or additional inputs), a lightbar (that can be used to check battery levels) and a phone jack(that can't be used on PC yet, but it's there). Also, I disliked it's start/select buttons positions at first, but now think it's better, they're closer to the face buttons and d-pad.

cool, thanks

why do people call its touchpad a touchscreen? have they never used a laptop before?

Why don't you ask the person who did instead of making a general whining post?

Was that so hard?

I don't care about any one particular instance user, I'm asking why this retard trend exists.

You're not gonna get replies unless you ask the particular instances, nobody answers for the general group of people. sage for stupid off topic convo

cause you're not posting on a topic asking a general group of anons shit in a similar fashion.
sage for autism

Go into the settings of a touchpad and you can rebind the swipes. Then select "volume+" or "volume -"

Pressure sensitive buttons were a failed idea Sony had that almost no developers took advantage of except Kojima for some reason. It's why every other controller doesn't have them. It's unsurprising they removed a legacy feature that was barely used to begin with and wasn't even critical in the games it was used. Like I know people who straight up completed MGS3 using a keyboard.

You can keep making excuses for the lack of features in DS4 but that isn't going to change the fact that it lacks those features.

This is like disliking that modern controllers don't have slots for memory cards

You still need it to play PS2 games and considering that shit still has rumble and six axis you can stop talking about obsolescence anytime.

Dead Rising. I've been trying to play DR1 with a keyboard and mouse but the controls are fucky as hell and messes with my muscle memory gained from other games.

Jesus hotpockets, I didn't realize we were on neogaf.

shoulda got a DS3

A reminder tha if you feel lazy you can use steam overlay for all controller games with ds4 and they will work as if one was using an xbox xinput controller.

Enjoy not having pressure-sensitive buttons, fag

They are pressure-sensitive. That is literally what a button is. You mean analog buttons, but you've got brain problems like all DS3 shiteaters that don't even play the handful of games that used said meme buttons.

Also worth note is that you can use the Steam settings on games that don't work with overlays just by setting up the desktop mode of the controller and launching them outside of big picture.

I use the PS4 controller on PC for any game that works better with a controller and have had minimal issues with it. The build quality on the DS4 is about as shitty as the build quality is on the DS3 so expect to perform some maintenance on it about every 2 years with regular use. I prefer Sony controllers over the Xbox. Don't hate anyone that likes the 360/Bone controller instead. Just preference.

That thing is a touchscreen? I thought it was just a touchpad. I'm a little interested now, what does it display?

It's not actually a touchscreen user was just being wonky with his terminology. It's just a touchpad.

I will add that I was extremely unhappy with Sony when they removed analog buttons but then got over it after awhile when I realized how few games fucking used it anyway. The only game I can recall playing that ever used analog buttons properly was Star Ocean 3 which was fucking PS2.

MGS2 and 3 used the pressure sensitive buttons really well.