Astrobase Command

Hey Holla Forums have posted about the game before, now that its in closed alpha wanted to say thanks & give away a few keys if anyone is interested in checking it out.

I remember you. Have a bump

Pretend everybody doesn't keep meticulous records of every thread ever posted in their brains at all times, OP, and actually give me some fucking information to work with here.

Sandbox sci-fi base building game with focus on character AI and personalities.

Failed kickstarter 2013
Self-funded game anyway
Successful kickstarter in May 2017 for enough to take game to closed alpha
Now at closed alpha

Have two keys
itch.io/get-uJMZKa7CYJxW
itch.io/get-fUPrs4PHDAzM

Sounds like something I'd enjoy.
I'll check it out, thanks.

Thanks user!
Take a key

Sounds neat OP, doubt my current potato could handle it very well or I'd take a key. I'll keep an eye on it though.

We've had a thread about it once but I've not seen it often. I think it mentally went into the pile of 'kikestarter neverever' games. I'll try it out when I get home from work is what I would say if I were responsible and not installing it at work.

Glad to hear that you're moving forward, OP.

So I like what little I've been presented with so far in character creation, but the character creation system is extremely laggy and unresponsive. Specifically, clicking around various hair or skin options would take 3-5 seconds to take effect, and clicking on multiple in a row would take considerably longer with them all suddenly blinking through the history of my clicks at the very end.
Upon finishing I had to click "next" at the bottom twice to get it to move on, and now I'm stuck at an endless blue loading screen with those blinking dots.

I'd like to actually give this a try, but it seems not to like me. Did I fuck something up, or what?

So progressive!

Same thing for me - char creation is running at around 30fps on a 6700k GTX 1080 box and everything feels very laggy. I've been waiting at the loading screen after char creation for several minutes now and it seems like it's going nowhere.

Looks like it probably NREd and shit itself during load:

NullReferenceException at (wrapper managed-to-native) UnityEngine.GameObject:GetComponentInChildren (System.Type,bool) at UnityEngine.GameObject.GetComponentInChildren[SkinnedMeshRenderer] (Boolean includeInactive) [0x00000] in :0 at UnityEngine.GameObject.GetComponentInChildren[SkinnedMeshRenderer] () [0x00000] in :0 at Assets.Scripts.Character.CharacterCompositeObjectPart.OnTexturesGenerated (Int32 IIIPKGPFPIB, UnityEngine.Texture[] BKNBKHKBKEJ) [0x00000] in :0 at Assets.Scripts.Character.CharacterCompositeObjectPart+CJLCMCPOPOI.HNNLFDHEHJO (UnityEngine.Texture[] BKNBKHKBKEJ) [0x00000] in :0 at MGKHFCLNFFO+GNBFPMKNMDJ.MoveNext () [0x00000] in :0 at MedusaUnity.Coroutines.MedusaCoroutine+d__26.MoveNext () [0x00000] in :0 at UnityEngine.SetupCoroutine.InvokeMoveNext (IEnumerator enumerator, IntPtr returnValueAddress) [0x00000] in :0

It did manage to get past that according to the log but never got rid of the loading screen, but that's pretty common with Unity projects that NRE:

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/runtime/DebugBindings.gen.cpp Line: 51)Scenery Loaded (Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/runtime/DebugBindings.gen.cpp Line: 51)[Loading] Loading Player Station (Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/runtime/DebugBindings.gen.cpp Line: 51)[Loading] Station Loaded (0.958 seconds) (Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/runtime/DebugBindings.gen.cpp Line: 51)[Loading] Loading Crew (Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/runtime/DebugBindings.gen.cpp Line: 51)Setting up 4 worker threads for Enlighten. Thread -> id: 34a8 -> priority: 1 Thread -> id: 19e4 -> priority: 1 Thread -> id: 105c -> priority: 1 Thread -> id: da4 -> priority: 1

shitface

I got it running by not choosing any sort of character customization. And now I'm squatting or something.

WE

Build some quarters

This looks neat. Will you go to Steam Early Access with it?

Ah shit nigga I need me some moon shoes!

Huh.

We haven't done any perf/optimization yet but on my laptop with a 7970m it does alright until the station gets to big.

It is GPU intensive at this point until we do some optimization.

Checked.
But user, you can set diversity to 0!

sheeet

Yeah plan is to work out all the kinks on itch.io and then put it on steam. However benefit of itch.io is that its DRM-free, which is a plus to a lot of people.

I wish you luck with that, user. I'm a sucker for builder games and when it's finally out I'll buy it. For real.

I have some bad news about Isaias, he's never gonna get those shoes. I have no idea what happened, I was just trying to throw his rolodex card into the trash and suddenly everything was fire.

did you assign someone to the reactor?

I don't think so. I built a room and put 4 lockers in it then started trying to stamp the screen and stamp the trash and stamp the desk and..

It's a functional space station simulation.You start with one reactor and nobody assigned to it. If nobody is assigned to the reactor, the tasks don't get done, which cause various malfunctions.

You can look at task tacker to see the tasks that need doing.

So…
Where the torrent at?

I've not figured out how to actually assign a task yet. I see them, I can click on them. I can stamp things. I've stamped lots of things. But how do you make a dude do a thing?

I keep trying not to die but all Bobby Stein wants to do is squat on the reactor.

I did choose 20 diversity.. Maybe I am being too progressive.

Never heard of this before but it looks promising. Here's some alpha gameplay pulled from the devs youtube.

kek

This looks pretty neat. Good luck with it OP.

I can't let myself game over that many times in a row so I started a new game of Chads with max body and spirit and zero diversity. Seems to have done the trick, he's not squatting anymore and is using the toilet like a human being although probably with some heavily shit pants. I built five toilets for him since all he fucking does is hang out on the toilet all day, at least now he has some scenery on his walk between them. Literally wants to go right after he walks out the door..

Have you assigned him to a job?

Another key if anyone is coming into the thread

itch.io/get-ght3U6WMWgPz

Thanks user!

Yeah, I figured out the click-on-the-guy-then-right-click-the-thing UI. The UI is pretty wonky imo. I've got five toilets, a cantina, some quarters, and some other stuff. Figured out I needed to select the hull modules to get it to accept it although it looked clear from the materials list on the right. It's not really clear what the hull modules are, but I know how to click things and stamp things and it fits into one of those two boxes so I'm good.

This sounds pretty cool. Downloading now

Yeah the UI has a learning curve!

As for the resources, they can have different properties (fluids, reactives, etc). Those properties determine the required hull options. So for example, quarters takes water which makes it require conduits (which have their own gameplay mechanic).

Thanks! Going to try it out.

So let's say I need more water. What's the way one goes about creating a base that effectively produces water? I've ordered a resupply which appears to use some sort of 'points' credit, is resupplying the normal way to get water? If so, how does one go about producing the points that it consumes?

Right, so first thing is that points are a capacity. So you have 10,000 point storage section which can hold 10,000 points worth of resource – each resource is worth some amount of points.

Second thing is that being in an alpha state, the proper resource acquisition mechanics aren't present in the build (missions, asteroid farming, etc) because they're not done. So the resupply mechanic is just a placeholder right now.

So with the temporary resupply mechanic, just to give it some strategy, it scales proportional to your base size, you get a choice of 3 packages, and have some smart choices to make.

There's also a life support section which converts waste into water.

No, fuck that. Chads don't drink recycled waste. I'll resupply them.

.. or not. I thought I had someone on that.

Were you checking his tasks?

ehhh yeah, sure. I was totally on top of that thing you said.

So the game is about being a Space Station Administrator. You gotta check on people's tasks!

I have no idea what I'm doing

Either you hired a bunch of people who eating from storage because you don't have a dining section, or they're squatting because you don't have quarters, or you built a bunch of power reactors and left them unmanned.

Much obliged, OP.

YW!

You click on a character and click on a section to assign him to the section.
If that section is a quarters, he'll sleep there
If that section is a job, he'll work there, and you can check up on his progress in the Task Tracker

Also, have you figured out the inbox yet?

So I thought I was on top of tasks, at least I can see someone's on them. Is there more I have to do here? Like, is the gameplay monitoring this list for an unassigned "Stop everything from exploding" task appearing and making sure someone's on it or do I need to micro the diversity in some way?

Yeah, I get warnings and I have a trash can and I solve the problem like I solve mail IRL. g2g

I wanna play!!!
gib key plox

At this stage in the alpha, it's a space station building sandbox with failure conditions. Gameplay is investigating why something is going wrong (generally emergent based on base layout), and then solving the problem. There is a skill system, so characters perform their tasks based on the skills. There's a stat system which characters use to perform tasks. There's spatial distances that come into play as they go about their lifecycle. Etc.

So mechanic of diversity is that in species creation, you pick the looks and it blends based on sub-species. More importantly it determines statistical variance from the baseline. It used to be called "Variance" but that made less sense to people as a species stat.

itch.io/get-pm4eT8ZafVMk

Enjoy!

Are these supposed to be humans?

No it's a "humanoid"

Yes nothing to see here goy.

The chromatic aberration and other screenshitting filters really need to have a way to turn them off. I feel like my glasses prescription needs updated.

I was doing well and was on day 4 with everything handled and my crew all promoted. Unity seems to have attempted to write to address 0x01. gj Unity.

========== OUTPUTING STACK TRACE ==================RtlLookupFunctionEntry returned NULL function. Aborting stack walk.

Write to location 00000001 caused an access violation.

What the hell do I do with this thing?

What are you trying to do?

With the Cantina, the characters use their AI to pick a place to eat that's convenient for them. You want to build them around the station so they have a place to eat.

No, I mean the soccer ball shaped storage container sitting in the middle of the room.
There is no way to interact with it

Storage containers get hungry too, user.

Oh, yeah that's a ball of resources. A custodial worker might have moved it there for a maintenance worker to use in a repair.

Currently no way to interact directly (planned feature), but in task tracker you'll see the task for having moved it there and doing whatever its used for.

where are the qt xeno girls?!

unrelated by how long have you been talking like this? Dropping the "to be" in "needs to be updated". And where are you from pls?