What are some games that you never really quite got what made a game to be as hyped as it is or was?

What are some games that you never really quite got what made a game to be as hyped as it is or was?

Half life 2,Panzer Dragoon saga,and Rez are it for me.

hl2 I can understand, but have you played the rest?

HL2 is shit.

You should play REZ and Saga, Leo.

Who wants to see Kate Botello slide down a pole?

Kate > Morgan

Every souls game. I think they're generally fun but I've completely missed whatever it is that makes so many people get extremely invested in them.

Monster Hunter. I played about 50 hours of MH3U. It's fun, but I don't get people putting in dozens of hours into grinding for a specific set, or putting hundreds of hours into the game. I like grinding, but there's a limit where it's just not fucking worth it anymore.
It's a good game series, but not worth anywhere near the hype and obsession that it gets.

Must be autism.

Souls games. Dragon's Dogma.
I get why people like them, but I just can't get into them. Souls games don't respect my time enough, and DD is in serious need of some polish. Neither are helped by the fact that I don't like online or pseudo-online components in nominally single-player campaigns.
There's a lot in both to love, though. I'd like to see a Souls game (or something very much like it) that used its combat, but dropped its death system, its obnoxious PvP, and maybe item degradation (though I go back and forth on that one). And I'd also like to see a proper sequel to DD that executes that vision with greater mastery.

Mario Galaxy. I have no idea where the fuck Universe came from.

Trial and error: the game. I really have no clue what people see in this.

I miss this show dearly, I know a lot of the regulars went on to do stuff online but it was never the same. I just miss living in those times, everyone thought the dotcom bubble would last forever.

For me, TechTV was just max comfy TV. What G4 did to them was a fucking atrocity.

I agree, I was so pissed when they did that. I had been watching it since the ZDTV days. They ran it constantly in the local computer shop and I had satellite at home so I always watched it.

While I'm ranting, I'll miss watching a man go crazy as he answers non-stop basic questions from newfags.

Ooooh, shit.

Undertale and LISA

Chris then went on to stream almost his entire life, at least up until two years ago, last time I checked. Pretty sure people stopped caring after 2010 or so.

Ys and Disgaea. Even my friends who say they enjoy them can't tell me why.

Uncharted series. They all just seem like competently-made 3rd person shooters, but that's about it, I don't see what's so special about them.

Okami for the PS2. The wolf turns like a fuckin' Tron cycle and drawing those fucking runes is a pain in the ass.

Bioshock
Half Life
Crysis

I had no idea Jared Vogel had a job after Subway.

F R E E J A R E D

Sonic CD.

Watch Dogs. The fuck were they thinking?

Because they had sensible game design that didn't hold your hand and that shit was a breath of fresh air. Now it's a meme and everything that's "hard" is the Dark Souls of X..

I don't see the appeal of ASSFAGGOTS or MMO.

Monster Hunter
The controls were unresponsive as fuck, hitboxes were a bad joke, the grind was f2p MMO tier, and the camera was just an affront to god. I understand that people would like the premise, but the execution is so bad that I just don't understand how it got a fanbase, let alone one of the most rabid ones, up there with Nintendo and Sonic fanboys. It amazes me how they rush to shit on any new hunting game just because it's not MH. It's like shitting on modern planes because it wasn't one of those first experimental planes that never even got off the ground.

Jedi Academy
Remember everything you loved about Jedi Knight II? The great level design, the useful force powers, the fluid lightsaber combat? Well, fuck you because you're linear levels, a ton of force powers of which less than half feel useful, and fucked up lightsaber combat. But, hey, you get to dual wield lightsabers and use the saber staff, like Darth Maul! You kids like Darth Maul, right?

Most of the isometric trash that ruined PC RPGs in the late '90s, but especially this pile of excrement right here.

Panzer Dragon is generally an on-rails shooter with RPG elements where you ride a dragon in a setting similar to Dune. I was never that into it, but I definitely understood the appeal.

Rez advertised itself as basically giving you sound orgasms with visuals ideal for druggies. It came with a peripheral that did nothing but vibrate, and if you google around there's an article where it's played through by a boyfriend while the girlfriend masturbates with the vibrator. There's also guides on how to rig up a more powerful version of this.

For me:
-PlayerUnknown's Survival Shooter #547
-Basically every generic arena shooter with "realistic" weapons in a modern or near future setting.
-Kingdom Hearts
-Anything with "voxels".
-The GTA series and it's clones.
-Star Wars games set during the clone wars (except for the podracer arcade game, that shit was awesome.)

Actually, come to think of it have they made any full-fledged games based on the even shittier new Star Wars film? I can't think of any, and that seems strange to me.

I remember that being made fun of more than hyped.

The game was really impressive in 2004. It just doesn't seem that way now because every single fps after it copied it. It's the same way how a lot of people nowadays don't see why Half-Life 1 was such a big deal in 1998 because almost every FPS has borrowed something from it since it released.

When HL2 released its use of physics was unprecedented and the combination of motion capture and other more modern technologies turned a lot of heads. The dystopic setting it used wasn't played out yet and also impressed people. It's just that nowadays when people look at it they see a relatively slow paced game with lots of pauses in the action that was much more impressive 13 years ago.

Sensible design that doesn't hold your hand and doesn't patronize the player with constant story/lore.

Something that the souls games share is that they don't shove story and lore down your throat constantly. Which is something fantasy games do near constantly, especially in the west. You can see it with how most modern fantasy games throw lore about the world at you constantly and have a near encyclopedia of lore for their first game. Wheras Souls games just hint at locations in item descriptions and imply much more than they really outright state. A lot of people dislike this approach to storytelling but it's much more subtle and has a greater impact.

The death system is necessary. Otherwise a lot of the games elements are pointless. Like tying currency to XP. There are games that have tried something similar to this (they usually get branded Dark Souls clones) and they're almost always forgettable.

The death system to Dark Souls isn't as big of a deal as you think. It's deceptive due to how the rpg systems in the game are designed. Equipment is a way bigger indicator of how powerful your character is than your stats. To the point where the stats you tend to level up in Dark Souls aren't directly tied to how strong you are but moreso are tied to being able to equip better equipment. Like Endurance tends to be the go-to stat for every build because it lets you fast roll in heavier armor. This design is a big reason why Dark Souls can be beaten by anyone with enough persistence because there isn't a necessity to grind in the game. Even DSP beat it.

JK2 wasn't a perfect game by any stretch. It has a ton of flaws especially compared to its predecessor Jedi Knight. The biggest being the first… 4-5 levels of Jedi Knight are garbage because of how poor the gun combat is

Once you get the lightsaber it isn't much better. Almost everyone agrees that the game doesn't really get "good" until the bespin levels. Which is about halfway through the game. Regardless of how good the second half of the game is, this pacing problem isn't something Dark Forces 2 had nor Jedi Academy. Dark Forces 2 had solid gun combat and lightsaber combat was only just "okay" for the most part. Jedi Academy just gave you the lightsaber and a few force powers at the start and didn't bother to fix the shit gun combat.

Also the force powers in Jedi Academy were just ported from JK2, you could also very easily max out just one very quickly. Like you can max out force lightning by the 4th level and kill everything with it.

Fallout was one of the first rpgs that really took advantage of its setting from a thematic standpoint. The game has a lot of intellectual themes relating to the idea of living in a post apocalypse. Like how the villain's big goal is actually somewhat understandable in that he wants to evolve humanity to the point where it is properly adapted to the Wasteland.

Most games with voxels don't actually have voxels. Like Minecraft looks like it has voxels but it renders with polygons. Voxels are just a technology that most people don't use because they just look like lots of cubes.

There's an immersive factor in Grand Theft Auto that isn't easily replicated. Like just walking down a street in Grand Theft Auto 4 is unlike a lot of other games at the same time. Even in the same series.

-Star Wars games set during the clone wars
Republic Commando

Rey is in the next Battlefront

I see the appeal of MMO it just that no MMO actually lives up to that appeal.
ASSFAGGOTS on the other hand I can't even process. As in I mean I physically can't process it. Every time I try to watch footage of DOTA or something my brain just refuses to interpret what is going on on screen. Shit is concerning.

So what you mostly dislike is losing your Exp. on two consecutive deaths?

When HL2 released its use of physics was unprecedented and the combination of motion capture and other more modern technologies turned a lot of heads. The dystopic setting it used wasn't played out yet and also impressed people. It's just that nowadays when people look at it they see a relatively slow paced game with lots of pauses in the action that was much more impressive 13 years ago.
ONE AND DONE

The appeal is largely because it's similar to an RTS but there's very little Macromanagement. It's all micro. As a result things that are normally a huge skill ceiling like how well you manage your economy aren't present. It's one of the reasons why MOBAs became popular really fast and rts games started to die off.

This is very similar to how most people don't understand why Metal Gear Solid was so popular back when it released. At the time it was rare to see 3D games with in-engine cutscenes that actually employed cinematography and tried to tell a very action packed and cinematic storyline that would also immediately switch to gameplay. There were games with a heavy story/cutscene focus in the past but these would usually feel like two separate elements.

Why don't people like RTT games then? Which really are RTS but without the economic management, it's purely managing combat. MOBA seems to be glorified multiplayer ARPGs. I really like RTT as it gets rid of a lot of the more mundane parts of RTS and elevates in-battle micro and maneuvering to being of the utmost importance.

I don't understand liking micro over macro, probably why I prefer GS these days after the death of RTS

Because you're also just managing a single character. It becomes more like a hack and slash at that point and broadens the appeal.

Then there's how MOBA games are generally played cooperatively with other people so you also have to rely on your friends to succeed. That sort of thing.

Not everyone wants to have to balance their economy and unit production while playing a game where they're trying to kill each other.

It's also one of the skills that tends to be the hardest and longest one to grasp for players since it takes tons of experience and practice to learn how to do effectively. There's such a huge time investment to getting good at RTS and actually winning compared to something like a MOBA where anyone can just pick it up and play it.

But they do want to take the basics managing unit health and army composition and strip it down to a single "hero" character and then just mindlessly click on trash mobs and occasionally use hotkeys against other players.

So it's people too cheap to pay for a sub to an MMO with PVP?

you guys remember briana mcivor???

The worst part is that people are invested in the PVP, undoubtedly the shittiest aspect of the game.

Sort of. I just want a game with Souls combat and a normal save/death system. Also, it needs to let me pause. And no PvP.

OK, then lose that, too.
They also don't have the great interconnected maps of Souls games. And they're done by second-rate middle-market developers. I'm confident that a game with Souls-ish combat, exploration (with checkpoints like bonfires), and no PvP or retarded death system, would succeed critically and commercially, if it's executed well. We've already seen successful games that ape Souls more closely, like Nioh.
I don't like it; that's enough reason for me to want to see a game that uses the parts I like and leaves out what I don't.
I'm sure that's true. My issues with it make me want to stop playing it, though, which is why I did.

Thank God you have Undertale and Neptunia uh?

Half life 2 was only a classic to retards who didn't play PC games.

system shock 2
I guess it's probably because I got exposed to literally every original idea, mechanic and plot point it had by bastard companies that outright plagiarized it and in some cases did it a little better.

There is nothing in the new films for a game to be based on.

I remember Tommy.

No, but I want to fug her.

Souls Games have a very specific type of game design that's all about pausing, analyzing, and using trial and error to figure out how to progress. This type of game design has been absent for a very long time in video games, so seeing it again was pretty new and refreshing. You'll notice that Dark Souls was big on Holla Forums immediately, but it took a year or so before it took hold on Redditors. They realizes they didn't have to be awesome at the game, just find ways to grind or just play intelligently. It got a huge boost from that, and then 2-3 years later again, there was another boost as they realized how deep the lore was and everyone wanted to participate in that.

The problem with Souls game is that they relied on a style of gameplay that hadn't been popular for up to 20 fucking years. So nowadays, everyone says "Souls games are easy' because everyone plays the SHIT out of them, and are accustomed to how they play. If a player is like your post suggests, however, you were never uncomfortable with this style of play, so it never seemed terribly interesting in the first place.

The hell happened to him?

Streamed every second of his life before dropping off the face of the earth

Persona 5.
It's kind of enjoyable, but I don't get hype. Seems like an average jrpg. Also I'm an autist and hate being rushed. Let me steal hearts in my own time, faggot, I'm busy reliving my highschool days vicariously through gook cartoons.