Nintendo shuts down yet another fangame

archive.is/bJoGJ
TL;DR: Nintendo is DCMA'ing Super Mario 64 Online, a fangame that modded SM64 to allow multiple people to connect and play in a shared game.

I didn't know what I was expecting.

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.is/VCvbf
humblebundle.com/store/outlast-deluxe
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

An archive of the site of the project:
archive.is/VCvbf

What a surprise.

Is this even a fan game? It sounds more like a hack of an existing game than a new one.

That would be more accurate.

but it's okay becuase it's muh based nintendo and not le SJWs!!
dont forget to buy mario odyssey

Does this mean they can shut down any ROMhack that gets big enough?

Hope you're ready for Super Mario 64 3DS with reused 3D Land assets

May I ask why OP didn't include the crucial information on his summary that is the author had a Patreon?

Nintendo is an Evil draconian yakuza oni etcetc but if the guy was trying to jew on it by having a Patreon, he deserved it.
If you're gonna do an unofficial fangame, do it for free for the fans.
Reminds me of when many ecelebs were crying on camera when nintendo didnt let them shekel off of Nintendo games footage. I was on nintendo's side that time too.

Because OP is a faggot and did not do proper research. That might actually be an important detail, since that does Nintendo give them a more legitimate reason to DCMA it.

The creator, Kaze, is a genuinely great modder, but he was acting like a fucking retard doing it.
I'm not defending Nintendo or anything but if you're going to be a modder or ROMhacker, don't be this fucking stupid.

But you are OP

Nintendo has become EA.

If that's what he set up his Patreon as then he's a fucking moron. He should've had it set up as a generalised "Support me and my hobbies" Patreon without any rewards tying explicitly into romhacking.

This is like that SMBZ autist making a Patreon for the project and then getting shitty when Nintendo told him to knock it off.

You are most certainly correct.

It was not exactly a smart decision on his part, no.

As stated above, I think it has more to do with the fact this guy had a patreon.

Well, there are plenty of modders that throw in a pls gib link these days but that is going full retard.

They are the Disney of videogames. Unlike EA, Nintendo still has that image their fans uphold.

Check out his youtube page, he has videos literally titled "Patreon Request Mod" as if he couldn't be any more subtle about it

THIS
I admire Kaze's work with many great hacks, but it's dumb as hell to ask money for romhacks, specially with NIntendo.
I don't buy anything from Nintendo since the AM2R fiasco, but this is something different. There are simple rules to these things:
Also, reminder that Patreon is cancer

I hadn't looked into him before this, but nobody who knew about that sort of behaviour should be surprised by Nintendo's response.

the modder fucked up by doing a patron
all he had to do was lay low

This dude is about as subtle as a sledgehammer.

wew
He doesn't seem extremely autistic in his shill video and I thought that'd at least be an excuse.

If they patreon was the problem then why not just take it down? This sounds like they're scared of competition and not like they're protecting their assets.

Why the fuck not? If I can pirate a game and make it better, why can't I make money off of my work?
This is retarded.

Nintendo does not like people meddling with their games because it results in more optimization, higher quality and generally better games. And the best (worst) part of it is, that these hacks/fangames are distributed for free.

I didn't even know that existed. Metroid Infusion check this one out might go that way too, if it ever comes out at all.

the creator was a genius and a idiot. Instead of providing a Patch like most Mod creators he would give out patched versions of the 64 rom. On top of this he started to run a Patreon where he would make custom mods for his top donators. He was basically begging for a DMCA. Last Impact might be one of the greatest SM64 of all Time but it wasn't going to last forever. The dude was audacious.

You're the kind of faggot why we can't have nice things.

But he's right. Vidya developers create a game, and leave it in a buggy, incomplete state. Someone else comes in, patches the shit out of the game, and makes it far more enjoyable. They then want to sell the patch for $5. Should they be allowed to do this? Of course. They put in the work, and if anything, their patch will probably drum up additional sales of the game.

Now whether or not this is good for modding and vidya as a whole is another can of worms entirely. I think as soon as you introduce profit motive to a passion hobby, you irredeemably corrupt it. One argument in favor is that it would draw more talented individuals who would otherwise be spending their time on other ventures that make them money. However, I think the net result is that people who were content with doing it for free, see others making money, human jealousy kicks in, and they want some of that money too. The net result is that all high quality content ends up being developed for profit.

This is why we have paid mods

t. Todd

How old are you?

Something something newfag.

Because I'm generous:

I forgot my second meme arrow, forgive me

can't link a post

calls yourself Todd

It would be neat if Nintendo offered to hire people who made an impressive hack/fangame instead of just shutting them down.

Are you both Chinese by any chance? Incentivizing modders with money was a mistake to begin with.

Sega does that.

But it's not a game, it is just a fucking patch for ROMs.

Wrong. The dumb nigger was uploading pre-patched rom's.

Oh snap, he is just making it worse for everyone then.

I dont think the fact that he had a patreon influenced the decision,AM2R was free and got shutdown as well, although that was maybe because they made their own remake of Metroid 2.Who knows maybe they are planning to release an online Mario 64 with the paid online service of the Switch.

Hello Todd.

The guy's roms where even was promoted by Kuktaku & Polygoon of all places. He was not keeping his work on the down low, guy was high profile. Begging to get caught.

No, the developers should compensate the modder for doing their job for them.

Why is anyone surprised that Nintendo has done this? This place really is filled with Nintendrones.

opinion discarded

People will still give Nintendo money after this too. I don't play Nintoddler shit, but when Prism got C&D'd I decided that I was never going to give these motherfuckers a dime again as long as I live even if they made a game that didn't suck ass for once.

Daily reminder that Nintendo has no respect for fair use, and regardless the fact a copyright lasts more than 10 years is deplorable beyond all fathomable measure. Remember to vote with your wallet advocate for better copyright laws, regardless of how many calls you have to make.

Even if they actually release a decent game for once, you can get a used hacked 3DS for cheap and pirate the shit out of it. The Switch seems to be just as vulnerable, but just like with every console, is best to wait for the end of it's lifespan to pirate without concern

The 3DS hardl had anything I was remotely interested in, and I doubt the Switch will either. If it ever gets hacked I'll buy a used one so Ninty doesn't get a dime. Honestly tough if I was restricted to using a a modded Wii for the rest of my life with the emulators that exist on it, I wouldn't even be mad. It was so great because it could output component so it was /vr/ heaven.

Remember that when shitty laws exist you are morally obligated to break them if you can get away with it. (provided they are non-violent victim-less crimes.)

just use the filter and hide functions
nobody is surprised. read the thread

nintendo fans are a special kind of retard. Every time one of these projects is released they get shut down. Maybe stop touching the hot stove.

No he isn't.
Because it is worst kind of jewry and invitation for game companies to shove DMCA into your ass without lube.

Thankfully, Nintendo games are easy to play with emulator with 3DS and Switch being exception.
But not for long.

What an idiot.

It's not their fault that they can make better games than Nintendo can for free. Nintendo should be fucking hiring these people, not abusing DMCA's to shut down completely legal projects (and if not legal, completely morally fine because fuck copyright law. Information should be free.)

Good luck ever getting one before the contractually obligated third party scalpers take it, jack up the price 300% and give Nintendo a cut.

What a shitty timeline.

Or maybe don't mention it all.
That you do game/mod somehow related to nintendo IPs/roms until it's 100% done.

Don't forget that majority of times its American branch throws DMCA around like it's candy during Halloween.

Most of us aren't defending this shit. Nintendrones are the ones who have always defended Nintendy through the worst of the worst fucking bullshit they pull. Literally manchildren that can't adhere to their principals, and this is coming from someone who has enjoyed many of their games in the past.

It's a program that injects itself into an n64 emulator process running mario 64 and manipulates its state. There's no DMCA violation in that.

to be honest Nintendo haven't made a habit of C&Ding Rom Hacks until this retard decided to push the envelope.

that's nice you faggot hippie, but it's not happening and there's no reason to think it will happen.

Maybe these stupid fucks running patreon funding for their projects should figure out another way to make their projects work because the hard truth is nintendo doesn't want it and will do everything they possibly can to prevent it from happening and from the creators benefiting from it.

True, but they tend to be the most vocal so it's baffling that they would cheer at the shutdown of a maryo64 online game.

As a baseline, your post is retarded, however there is some grey area here. There are "derivative works" that are legally recognized. Remixing music is a common example. Another word you might hear is "transformative" which helps indicate an amount of change to the original work that might be required to be considered a new work.

It's pretty simple to take an existing song and turn it into a largely new song. It's also pretty simple to take video and remix it into something more original. Video games however have so many layers of content and intellectual property, that to make a truly transformative work would require a ton of effort. Programming, modeling, animating, textureing, level design, voice acting, etc. Changing just one of those layers might not be enough.

This of course isn't talking about just ordinary mods or rom hacks. This is in relation to your idea of "steal Fallout 4, change a few things, and release "Not Fallout 4: Goyim of the Century Edition."

Back pre-exodus, I coined the term "Nintoddler" to make fun of the special group of rapid Nintendo fans that say that Nintendo can do no wrong and any other legit Nintendo fan that criticize Nintendo's mistakes get attacked by these drones and get called "Pretendos". To them, Nintendo is a magical whimsical wonderland where a mystical gook and his team of oompa loompas make all the fun games they enjoy. I blame the fact that it is a mix of Nintendo's Cult of Personality combined with Nostalgia. Miyamoto comes out with a master sword, Reggie spouts memes, cartoon/comedy skit about them plays and then they act as they are your best friends while telling you directly the games they are gonna showcase all while holding that old IP and go "Remember this IP? That's right, we made your childhood awesome!"

I get you, mate. a hacked Wii with an old CRT is comfy as hell. The only thing the Wii was missing was decent wired gamepad for /vr/ stuff. The Classic Controller Pro is fucking great, but it has to be connected to a fucking wiimote to work (resulting in noticeable input lag), and there's no adapter to connect it through the gamecube port.

The 3DS doesn't have an outstanding catalogue, but it does have some great games, retrocompatibility with Nintendo DS, GBA through virtual console injects and quite good emulators for NES/PCE/SNES.

Why would he do this? "Nintendo takes down mod" would've made Nintendo obviously in the wrong. "Nintendo takes down modded illegal ROM" gives them an excuse.

Doesn't this romhack add characters to the game in the likeness of Nintendo owned characters (Wario, Waluigi, Rosalina, etc)?

So, the romhack does contain entities that Nintendo owns.

Okay so the dumbass
a.) Distributed the ROM
b.) Had a Patreon

The latter isn't necessarily illegal, you're "doing general game modding" and just so happen to be working on a particular project and just so happen to be asking for money to support your general modding efforts. But if he asks for Patreon bux on his devblog, then you're kind of stepping over the grey area

tldr dev is a dumb

I might be a hippie but at least I have substance to back up the things I say instead of throwing around ad-hominems because I'm triggered by a post on an imageboard.
The fact that the can throw around DMCA's like STDs in a Japanese whorehouse is indicative of a much large problem.

They've been completely brainwashed by a megacorporation. I'm a self proclaimed hardliner capitalist and even I know that this shit stinks.

This post is the hard truth of it all. Well spoken user.

Hell yeah my dude. That's the only way to do it. I was really into buyfagging /vr/ stuff for many years but shits so expensive now and honestly as I have grown older I just want to get rid of most of my possessions because they take up space. I use a Wii + a CRT through component for most of my gaming now.
Got a DS and a flashcart already so like whatever.

So they should have headed Woolie's advice and didn't? Wew.

Nice to know sunny jim, but I will let you in on a little secret. I coined the term "Nintendoddler" in 2001 before m00t created 4cuck to make fun of all the kids who wanted to play Metroid Prime? SLOW SAMUS? HERESY!
:^)

I was fallowing the guy's work, He mad good rom hacks. Yet, I somewhat suspect he was doing it with the intention of getting caught. It was all too perfect.

Anyone who is this way is stupid. Nintendo does this everytime.

Do any other systems have 8 controller ports like the Wii? That's seriously the best thing about it.

I believe Xbone supports 8 controllers, and I know PS3 supports 7.

Are those actual ports though or just wireless connections? I can't play a game without dipping my feet in a pool of wires.

It was DMCA'd because they were distributing the original Mario 64 U ROMs with it and/or telling people they needed to download the ROMs. why cares about level-headed discussion though when shithposting is funner amiright?

Has anyone ever done a king of the hill game of Donkey Kong where the player at the top controls dong and barrel/fire distribution and whichever mario player deposes him gets to replace him?

Wireless connections, you don't get 7/8 USB ports on those systems.

Good job not reading the thread, that has already been pointed out.

No, but if you tell me how amiibos can fit into this I'll tell the team to get right on it.

Faggots making money off other people's creations is wrong and I'm glad Nintendo is fucking them in the ass over it. Also was glad when Nintendo fucked over youtubefags who wanted to make money off their shitty videos of Nintendo games. Get a real job, niggers.

i mean this should be expected from nintendo. they don't like their fans they want to fuck them over every turn they can because they know nintendo fans will take it like a bitch in heat every time

Yeah, Patreon fags need to die

That's more effort than Nutendo puts in to 99% of its own games these days. Looks like they're getting salty that the fans are upstaging them, yet again

Classic Nintendo!
The only people supporting Nintendo are kids who have controlling parents, the adults who have major emotional issues and never grew out of childhood, and casuals.

Yeah, the .exe itself had ZERO code from M64 but the ROM is what caused the upheveal

I'm fucking dead.

The dude was asking for Patreon money in exchange for Hackroms while giving away links of prepatched roms. He had it coming.

uhhhh… cosmetics with once-a-day powerups?

How is that worse than anything Nutendo does on a daily basis?

ironically i like future funk

It's not legal

Well for one, it's against the law. I don't like Nintendo either, but they only ever do things that should be illegal.

Get the fuck out of my office.

Consolefaggotry outside of emulation should be a bannable offense.
If you want to be a Sonygger, go to NeoGaf.
If you want to be an XBot, go to Reddit.
If you want to be a Nintoddler, stay in the MiiVerse.

Reported for console wars.

Consolecuck detected.

Yeah, but god damn that absolutely destroyed me.

How am I wrong?
If there were no consolefags than there could be no consolewars.

ok ok, ability to play luigi or dong at all and access to final boss paulina locked behind amiibos

What were you expecting, supportaflop?

You just sound like a Jewish capitalist. While I admit capitalism is nowhere near as bad as communism; I would prefer no Semite-based economic system in the USA or the world. Before you kikes took over the USA with communism, and kikeled up the USPTO, Nintendjew wouldn't have had the legal kikelegs to stand on.

Of course, you being an obvious kike yourself already know this.

Didn't Nintendo already lose a court case against Galoob that set precedent that users were allowed to make alterations to the code of games they have purchased? Are they just throwing shit at the wall without a legal leg to stand on, because they know these hobbyist fucks aren't going to fight it in court.

What the hell does that have to do with anything, provided he wasn't forcing users to donate a minimum amount before downloading. If Nintendo is allowed to shut him down for having a patreon, then Bethesda is allowed to shut down any modder who has a pateron and force every modder who wants to be compensated to sign up through CreationClub.

Pretty much this, I won't defend Nintendo's anti-consumer bullshit when it comes to shutting down fan creations but I also won't defend retarded modders trying to acquire shekels off doing it. They aren't any better then the companies or Todd Howard.

Bethesda has shut down attempts for people to pay for mods in the past, that weren't through Bethesda of course.

The biggest example I can think of is a guy kickstarting his skyrim romance mod for a mere $20,000

Tiger Electrocuck detected.

There used to be a few options. I want to say the old Horii SNES-style controller for the Gamecube was Wii compatible, and there was also a third party adaptor to connect an SNES controller to the Wii's Gamecube controller ports, but the former was an expensive import and the latter has been discontinued for a while. Wish I'd gotten one of the latter but it was out of print before I'd known about it.

Did you work on the SD Snatcher English translation by any chance?

No fucking shit. What the fuck else is new

Saturn supports at least 10 players.

Nintendo reportedly paid off a Jew York judge to find in their favor on the 3D-without-glasses tech the 3DS uses, which they had apparently swiped from another company. Laws don't mean shit, it seems.

NINTENDISNEY
NINTENDISNEY
NINTENDISNEY

You're reaching really far there buddy.

There's a copy in the vola.

Re-selling other people's work is illegal unless it's public domain. His work might have been under fair use, but the way he distributed it (modified copyrighed ROM file) and for profit (requested money via Patreon) made the legality questionable at best.

It might be legal if it's a patch file applied to the game similar to ROM patching, but if the patch contains copyrighted work you'd need permission from the copyright older. (Even if it is, you still shouldn't do this.) If anything, I think the best response to this regarding compensation for the work is selling it to the developer so they can use it as an official patch for the game. Well, assuming the developers aren't greedy kikes who will use it anyway.

This is correct, and most people should realize this after 2 paid mod shitstorms with Bethesda.

Switch owners in denial.

Please. It might be a technical marvel, but the actual game design, the real important part of it, is amateurish at best. Star Road blows it out of the water, and that hack has its own issues.

It's shit. It has a lot of new shit in it but the devs retarded (fucker refuses to release the source code because he thinks the community is lazy) and the actual level design is trash. Besides that the actual new "content" really just makes the game worse. Like the power ups which barely function. There's more entertainment in Green Stars or 74.

(you) are a nigger

(you) have no argument

Hypocrites, the lot of you.

The world would be better without these

Why go for the symptoms when you can eliminate the disease.

There are greedy people that are willing to kill their fellow man. It's those you have to look out for. The jew just does what the jew does, it takes a special type of faggot to be plain ol' greedy to the point he can be considered evil.

The modder chose to distribute his work in the most illegal way possible and got burnt for it instead of being careful and working within the boundaries of what a mod actually is. Fuck him for being stupid.

That's so they can sell SM64 for the tenth time on virtual boy for twelve dollars.

I can hear the Jewish piano in the background as retards buy their Mario X Minions fanfic while they cry about how awful modders are for making from things people want. Although, it is the modders fault for being blatant about making bank from only Mario. If anything, they should have been fine if they sold themselves as a modding community working on multiple games rather than the one game where the devs are known to be cut-throat. Not that I would give the modders any money either way.

There are certainly more illegal ways to distribute it. Like only sending the program out on stolen SD cards placed on the bodies of people he's raped and murdered.

Large companies say that can do plenty of shit that they can't because they know people won't take them to court over it.

Steam Key: 6NTMG-X8XK9-VM4ZH

Thanks for Outlast lad, I appreciate it.

DLC is free on humblebundle.com/store/outlast-deluxe

Had the base game already though.

Yeah but AM2R was already finished when it was "shut down". This was a ways from being done.

If you're implying that buying a video game also gives you the rights to alter, modify, or distribute the game, then you're retarded.

That would be on par with taking a VHS movie, using equipment to re-record the lines, replacing them with different dialogue so that the story is either marginally or completely different from the original, and then selling the finished result like as if it was your own original work.

Why do you think people use the term, "copy," when they purchased a video game? I.E. I purchased a COPY of Super Mario 64 yesterday.

If I buy a car, I can give it a new paint job, add a spoiler, replace the engine, and sell it to someone else. Why should I not be able to do the same with a video game?

How many millions of years is it going to take for you and everyone else to understand that it's not property if it's information? It's true that an individual and a company have incentives to ensure the monopolization of their information but this does not in any way imply that information is property.
For something to be property it has to be finite, you must be able to take that property and fence it off or put it away, data is conceptual and therefore a near-infinite number of exact copies of it can exist simultaneously.
Another way to think about it is uniqueness, property must be unique. Someone can conceive of something that is the exact same as an existing game or story, without ever hearing or playing the "original". They can then write that. In this case it should be obvious that they stole nothing, how could they steal something they've never even witnessed?
Correcting your analogy isn't even worth it, but even so it's more like
Information isn't property, it's simply jealously guarded due to financial incentives. This is totally logical and in-line with how one should expect Humans to behave.

Also
You're a bad person.

They also inject Denuvo into said fangame projects.

This is why I never buy games. Fuck renting a license for something I don't really own.

Nigger do you know where we are?

You don't own anything anymore. The bank owns you more than you own the software on that cartridge.

Couldn't the retards making this have kept a lid on it till it was done? Like the Metroid remake guys. Yeah Ninty fucked them over but at least the game was done.

A car is a physical object. Physical objects can be modified.

A video game or a movie are not physical objects.

Fuck, that's some pretty amazing bait you got there. I guess you could say you're a master baiter.

We're on a mongolian basket weaving forum you stupid cunt.

How many millions of years is it going to take for you and everyone else to understand that ideas and products, such as a video games and everything involved (engine, character designs, story, etc.), is a form of property?

Using this cop-out excuse that "PROPERTY HAS TO BE BOTH A PHYSICAL AND PERCEIVABLE FOR ME TO REGARD IT AS SUCH. THEREFORE, IF IT'S A VIDEO GAME OR A MOVIE OR A SONG, I CAN DO WHATEVER THE FUCK I WANT BECAUSE IT'S "A CONCEPT" OR "INFORMATION" RATHER THAN PROPERTY BECAUSE I SAID SO!" doesn't make your stance any more valid than to say that a dog has five legs if you were to count the tail as a leg.

Just as a tail isn't a leg even if you may consider it as such, your biased and long-winded opinion about video games being purely information doesn't make it so.

You act as if creative coincidences like you described never fucking happened, or at least haven't been properly settled on. Google "Dennis the Menace US vs UK" to see what I mean.

Shocker. But, hey. Nintendo is in their right to do so.

I'm like to agree with you, but I find current copyright and intellectual property right laws disgusting to their corrupted cores, especially when it comes to revocable shrink wrap licenses.
I would prefer it if fair use law was far more robust and protective when it comes to the redistribution of intellectual property when not for profit. Several requirements should be present:
a) Acknowledge your work as a not-for-profit derivative work.
b) Acknowledge the original creator, and include some kind of pointer within your work to their original work.
c) Do not actually profit off of your derivative work, there should be no paywall. Kikestarter counts as a paywall, paypal donations do not, unless said person is trying to set stretch goals through it. I.e. general donation button which is not affiliated to any particular work.

So i.e., "This is my non-profit mario recolor. You can find the original mario available from Nintendo. (May include link)" At this point I should be free to redistribute my not for profit copy. Then the courts as they currently do can judge a work to determine if it is derivative enough if the original creator has an issue with it, but with my proposal the derivative creator has more solid ground to stand on where today they do not. I also believe the consumer of a derivative work should not be able to be punished.

More often than not in the "piracy" world, people may consider such acts when there is no demo or trial, or when the refund policies for such products are so shoddy that they exclude the end-user from getting into the product. This is the same "lost sale" as a "pirated copy". Many times if people pirate a game and like it, they'll financially support the game and/or shill for it later. If they don't like it, they stop playing it, and if it was a truly awful experience they might leave their negative feedback as they should.

What I truly want is for publishers to be less high strung about it but that won't happen with (((certain people))) around. If I want to try your game before I buy it I should be able to, and if you did a really good job out of it, you've made a fan of me and not only am I likely to buy a copy of what I already pirated but I'd be sure to buy your future works. When the anti-consumerism ends, so too shall the piracy from many many people.

That's my shtick, kike-san, if you didn't jew it up so hard people really wouldn't have so many problems with you.

Legal right or moral right? There's a difference.

You can sell a physical copy of a game your purchased. That falls under the first-sale doctrine. You can draw on the disk or cartridge with a marker if you wish. You can do the same with a book.

Is the circuitry within not also part of the cartridge? Am I not allowed to do what I like with its contents?

Holy fuck get a load of this faggot.
1. it's been around way longer than "pre-exodus" and even imageboards you stupid cunt
2. it's such an easy thing to come up with that probably thousands of people had that same original thought and began using it without seeing someone else say it first
3. even if you were the first it's impossible to prove and nobody will ever believe you so why would you even say that? on an anonymous board?

Put your fucking e-peen away you obnoxious retard. And Nintendo's "cult of personality" is a way better marketing approach than anybody else in the industry has. God fucking forbid a company producing GAMES actually has FUN with their press releases. What are you, 17? That was rhetorical, I don't care.

If I buy a lemon, do I not have the right to alter, modify or distribute that lemon thereafter?

At some point these faggots are going to learn that the only way to make a Nintendo fan project is to make it in complete secrecy then release the final product. Then it's on the internet and there's nothing the kikes at Nintendo can do about it.

Morally, of course its fucked up. I mean, there is no better way than to fuck with relations with your customers than to shut down projects inspired by your company's works.

But, from a legal standpoint, it makes sense. If a bunch of autistic fans create a product better than official works released by Nintendo themselves, it can make them look imcomptent
by comparison. Or, more importantly the fan devs are making money off of an IP they themselves didn't create, which is clearly the case of this guy. I mean, consumer outcry could totally make a change and show Nintendo what they are doing is incredibly shitty, but average Nintendo consumer doesn't give a fuck and would no doubt defend the Big N's practices.
That fat plumber is just too big to fail or to call out.

Not without the author's consent.

Seeing that the author for the lemon is nature, the author, by default, really doesn't have any opinions in regard to how that lemon is modified. This is assuming the lemon was procured from public property. Were it procured from private property, then the owner of that tree is responsible for establishing guidelines on how to enjoy the lemon and having the buyer agree to said guidelines as a prerequisite for purchase.

TL;DR: It's their property. Nintendo owns Mario and are the only legitimate entity that can dictate how a Mario game should be played and enjoyed. More to the point, they're the only entity that can rightfully profit off of their creation, with creative partners only profiting off Mario if they consent to it. It technically isn't right or fair for anyone to come around and either modify a game or creating a whole new game altogether based on Mario or featuring Mario characters without having Nintendo's consent.

Same thing applies with any company with any IP they may have.

Because, as we all know, bootleg rom hacks are projects that are driven by the love of fans and, therefore, should be left alone, amirite?

Separate hardware devices that alter aspects of the program would be acceptable, but they are separate products. I do think that patches that do not rely on existing content should also be fine. That way you are not distributing any copyrighted material. Instead, you are distributing a tool that individuals can use for their own purposes. Some fan translations are distributed like this.

PokeMMO continues to slip Nintendo's DMCA because of this. The creators of PokeMMO are not distributing, shipping, or offering anything based on Nintendo's IP. They are simply shipping a binary executable that requires a ROM provided by the end-user to run. All of the assets seen in-game are provided by said ROM. The makers aren't trying to distribute music, art, or maps from the games. They might include their own maps, but it uses art from the ROMs.

That said, I still disagree with PokeMMO because they're monetizing it, which is pretty much using Nintendo's IP to monetize. The monetized content is all original, they're not monetizing actual items from the games, but it still doesn't seem right to be monetizing items in a fanmade Pokemon game.

statements of fact are not arguments

No facts presented aren't arguments either.

>>>/ovens/ please

good, their games are shit, their fans are shit, and they are shit. hopefully this makes consumer conscious individuals hate them more.
but they won't, they can do nothing wong. i bet the guys who worked on mario 64 online are such cucks that they're blaming themselves for this. that's just how nintendo fans are, they can ruin franchises and put out brazilian dollar store quality consoles and no one cares.

Just once I'de like to see a person who made a fan game that wasn't retarded enough to post their home address online. Shit like this would never happen and we would get to see a fantastic shitshow about Nintendo's lawyers frustratingly trying to doxx some autist over the internet while he puts up links to download his shit on another website from the one they took down.

look its all about not being a complete fucking retard. you can have a please gibe mone link but if you're using/copying copy-written assets while asking for money that's just hanging a sign on yourself that says "please assfuck me raw with lawyers"

getting a dmca request isn't the same as dealing with an actual lawsuit. i have no idea why people pretend it is.
must be an american thing.

it will obviously lead to one if you don't comply

has that ever actually happened to a modder though?
it probably has and i've forgotten, but all the shut downs i've heard of in recent memory are people/teams folding after a single notice.
in terms of legality the modder is probably in the right anyway (not that any normal person could afford to win that lawsuit).

the fact that they shut down is because they are normal people not able to win a lawsuit. this is just an avenue companies can use like a cease and desist where they don't financially cripple you from the get go and instead warn you they won't hesitate to if you keep going. The point im making is all these projects that get hit have the same thing in common. the mod maker is asking for money/"donations". chapter master was doing fine up until duke made a patreon

They also have in common to be retarded enough to link personal info that could put them in financial ruin. Isn't there a way of getting charitable donations while also remaining anonymous enough for lawyers to not be able to formally contact you?

cryptocurrency is a myth user

technically speaking, fair use still applies even if you make a profit you just have to prove that work is transformative and isn't directly competing for profit w/ the ip holder & is clearly not pretending to be an official product. the problem is that no precedent exists right now and no one wants to enter a protracted legal battle with a billion dollar company

Are you required by law to put out your home address for people to see on your paypal account? I'm genuinely asking if it's possible to make a fan game while having a donation account that can't be legally tracked to your home address.

In theory its possible, but for development its just impractical. You'd need to do it solo in order be purely Anonymous. Additional people risk leaks, resources are not cheap making development difficult alone.

The only practical way to make a game to the level of AM2R would be to have a team and that isn't possible without money exchanging hands or it being a pure passion. And even then the time needed to make a game like that is massive. AM2R took 10 years to make. That's quite the commitment.

Case and point, There are tons of fan games on multiple sites, from the defunct yoyo games sandbox to franchise themed fan games, but most of those games I can guarantee you wouldn't want to play. Because they were most likely made by one person who only bought gamemaker or RPG maker, and barely knew how to code.

TLDR; Yes, you can but it will most likely be shit or be a massive financial/time sink that will drain you.

Only if you do it against a little girl. That is when you're in the wrong.

Why are people responding to this as though this person is anything other than a rather poor troll? The only other option is literal retardation, and in either case you can't expect good debate.

Well most fan works are solo with the acception of a few people who chip in to help. But this falls down to scope I suppose. If you have a large amount of people helping you I doubt one of them would want to risk doxxing themselves when they know that it would result in losing free money. But either way it is possible then?

In any case I think it's more likely that the people behind fan projects are just normalfags who are incapable of thinking ahead.

I doubt paypal, or any other service that wishes to remain in completely legal bounds, is willing to let someone deal with money completely anonymously through them. That can lead to all sorts of shady shit. If you want to accept donations without going through some shady service, there's going to be a way to track you.

True, most people underestimate the costs of normal game development. They probably assume that a fan game of equal or greater quality will be significantly easier.

Game development on its own is a massive hurdle and fan games are no different in regard to work, effort and talent. Only in reward.

Most likely, the people that expose themselves like this do so for the publicity and the chance of getting into the industry. If I am recalling this correctly, the guy behind AM2R got hired by the ori and the blind forest folks afterwards.

That's really what it comes down to, they wanted attention and the get into the industry, but lacked either the ability to create assets, funds to support a full fledged project, or just don't have the connections to enter the industry on their own merits. Thus they bank on the merits of a franchise and fan-base they know.

Well that's why I'm asking. There's likely a few places to transition money in a way that allows you to remain anonymous enough for lawyers to not reach you.

I think the most bitter thing I have about the whole AM2R thing is how little of a fight the dev had with the whole thing. I realize you should act professional during this shit but damn that shit's just wrong. In any case I await the shitshow for when somebody who actually produces a fan title and is smart enough to know how to avoid a DMCA by remaining anonymous enough on the internet for them to struggle how to locate you.

Your gonna be better off waiting for AAA publishers to declare an "anti-microtransaction" policy then you are of a fan game like that appearing. Like I said, it an't impossible, but not really worth the effort. Look at freedom planet.

Regardless of what anyone thinks of the game (personally I don't like it and its story is pretty dumb) it started as a simple rom-hack. It became its own game when the devs realized that their scope was large and it would be worth it to limit themselves to a fan game.

Even then they had to kickstart the damn thing.

If fan games of high quality are made it is for one of 2 reasons. Public recognition, or pure ambition. The latter often results in the fan game getting canceled and reworked into a full game, and the former gets DMCA'd and the lead devs getting positions in the industry.

Dead.

Fuck along off you rabid fucking yid.

Can all the retards please just fucking neck themselves. Are you from some brown place where english is your second language?

I'de say it's possible and worth seeing for the shitshow that may follow alone. But you are correct in saying it won't likely happen any time soon. Most people are incredibly retarded and make retarded mistakes. But if somebody spent 10 years making a game, I doubt that public attention would make much of a difference in speed, and pure ambition is devoid of any situation in where you would get the attention to be sent a DMCA. To be honest though whenever I see a huge project being made from a pre-existing IP I usually wish it was its own IP. I say if you're going to copy from a place that's known for sending out DMCA's for your work then spend 10 minutes to realize that you shouldn't put out any personal information to the project. And if you NEED to have a charity involved then do it in a discrete way that wouldn't link you back to your home address.

ISN'T KAZE AUTISTIC????

Step 1: Make fan game
Step 1-1: Shut the fuck up about it until it's completed
Step 2: Upload it to three different torrent sites and drop it on Mega
Step 3: Contact oneangrygamer and tell them what you've done
Step 4: Allow your virus of enjoyment to spread throughout the world and laugh as the nips frantically try to empty the ocean with a spoon

nigga have you really seen a single full/v/irgin defend nintendo over this shit? go say this somewhere where it's half brave to or something

Information is only private property while it's inside your head or contained on you private "papers". Once you let it out of there it's no longer under your control.

I hope you choke to death on that corporate dick you're sucking.

This. Only egotistical faggots more desperate for mad props than making an actual game leak info about their fan projects. I feel no sympathy and they deserve to get shut down.

Make it.
Release it.
Shut up about it and get over yourself.

I almost thought you might be making a point until I read that. If I want to make the hole bigger in the GTA V disc so I can fuck it while watching Anita Sarkesian videos, you'd better believe I'm reaching for the drill and the vegetable shortening, you felch-rhino. What I do with with that game is my fucking business as long as I'm not denying them their once and future shekels.

>That would be on par with taking a VHS movie, using equipment to re-record the lines, replacing them with different dialogue so that the story is either marginally or completely different from the original, and then selling the finished result like as if it was your own original work.

Who the said anything about SELLING these fan-made games? Go tell it to your uncle that works at Nintendo, avatarfag.

People are so proud of their work that it ultimately leads to their downfall.

Hey, it's understandable. They have every right to be proud. They just have to learn to delay gratification until it's too late to kill their baby.

you forgot a step

Stop making these retarded analogies. They never work. You can't just take something that works under a completely different medium, in a completely different way and apply it to video games. Yes you can sell a car you modified, because it's the same fucking car that you bought. Yes, you can take lemons from a damn lemon tree and make lemonade with them, even if the tree is in someone else's property. They don't own those lemons, they own the land that the tree is at, therefore, as long as they're ok with you picking lemons from their land, you can make a profit with the lemonade and they're not entitled to any of it. Nintendo wouldn't say shit if he applied the hack to HIS physical copy of SM64 and sold that particular physical copy ONCE, because he has the ownership of that single, solitary copy. What he doesn't have is distribution rights of the game in question, thus asking money for a patch that modifies the game falls into a gray area that's leaning dangerously close to the fire. I'm not defending Nintendo, but what the mod creator did, is the equivalent of walking into a ghetto with an iPhone 7 in one hand and a wad of cash in the other: Expect to get mugged.

FUCK I WANTED TO PLAY THAT

I'de love to see if a shitstorm could get brewing from this. I have no doubt that a few Nintendo fans would get mad that your game will never get taken down.

Or
I've honestly never seen Nintendo actually make their legal actions a reality. People need to just tell em to fuck off/ignore them and see if their actually going to put effort into pushing legal action on you. That or don't put your address out. Simple.

Question #1: Why would intellectual property only constitute as "information" and not actual property?

Question #2: What law supports your viewpoint?

Cmon. Lets not drag Harmony Gold into this. They gud boies they dindu nuffin.

Nigger, fair use doesn't cover derivative works (e.g. sequels, adaptations, translations)
Only criticism, parody, education, reviews, transformative use, and shit like citations, time/format shifting, and adaptations for disabled people. Preferably non-commercial. And even then they can just sue your ass off because fair use is worthless unless you defend in court (Hell, some guy got sued over a 2 second sample in a remix).

TL;DR fair use is a joke. This is the state of copyright law.

A romhack will never be legal in 99.9% of cases (though maaaaaybe patches could get a free pass, though it's unlikely):

There is literally nothing wrong with making money off someone else's work (unless you're erasing their name off their work and replacing it with your own, aka plagiarism). Examples include using a tool of any kind, using a language, using a musical instrument or the musical scale, citing another work, homages, parodies, and satire.
Only greedy kikes like publishers would argue otherwise.

And that webm is not transformative use. You can still recognize the original tune quite clearly. And even if it were, a kike company would still sue you because no one can ward off a copyright lawsuit and only the rich can afford to go to court, especially against a megacorp.

This, tbh.

and would be more apt analogies with real property.
I'm glad some people are not brainwashed by copyright propaganda.