Games That Teach a Skill

Are there any games that can actually teach useful skills? I have seen a lot of talk among certain academic circles about using "gameification" in everyday life to improve information and skill retention, but I don't know of many games that are built to teach anything. The only games I can think of off the top of my head are TIS-100 and Shenzhen I/O, but I think they're more logic games for programmers than they are games meant to teach programming logic.

Other urls found in this thread:

math-edu.de/Vernetzungen/Schriftenreihe/Materialien Materialband 1_Hunger.html
moddb.com/mods/frontiers1
3rdworldfarmer.org/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Not necessarily things that would be recognized as games, but a lot of training software has game elements, although they're implemented in a retarded fashion most of the time. I'm not aware of any modern training-games, so I couldn't tell you if someone made a New Game! game that taught you how to code in Python or something. I suppose if a game is interesting enough, one may gain the drive to learn more about things featured in it. A lot of new gun owners got into firearms because of "realistic" gun games.

In my personal experience, I learned how to drive by playing various racing games where the player had to brake, shift, and couldn't just drift around every turn. Not even an exaggeration. I had no actual experience in driving until I bought my first car. 1985 five speed stick Honda Civic. I knew how to shift without frying the clutch or shattering the transmission, and the only time I stalled it was when I forgot to give it enough gas when moving off of a stop sign in second gear.

Rocksmith.

This seems like a good answer. As I understand it, you hook up real electric guitars to your system to play this. I haven't seen any positions for bards in the wanted ads, but at least it teaches something.

Yes, that’s what we’re fighting to prevent. It’s what gamergate and common core are about.
Because they don’t actually want to teach the goyim anything useful.

I played a lot of games that were educational as a kid. Can't think of any that taught me a skill. Only games that I can think of that come close nowadays are simulators.

The one example that comes to mind are typing games.
Action games might help with reflexes, aiming, etc., but it might be hard to measure how much help they are.

I learned how to make better fried eggs from a MGS4 cutscene.

I never shot a firearm in my life before, but I got basic knowledge of the mechanics from games like Insurgency and STALKER. A friend of mine said he learned economics through WoW's auction house, now he makes money importing niche shit and reselling it on ebay.

As a broader concept, stuff like resource management in games you can probably apply to real life as well.

I meant mechanisms.

There's already stuff like Typing of the Dead, or even a small shitty game like the flash I'm posting. Gamification could be a nice thing if it wasn't encouraged by agenda pushing fucks and instead it was done by passionate people who want to teach stuff to kids and adults.

What's the deal with gamification anyway? I see lots of posters for seminars about it in town, but I don't understand why it's being pushed so hard or what the purpose of it is meant to be.

It's a new unexplored way to teach stuff. And I mean unexplored in the sense that we never got a decent game by a decent developer trying to teach a skill.

So you learned meaningless trivia.
This reminds me those kids who learned shooting from CS. Went into the millitary and fired automatic from hip level, without using the shoulder stock, dislocating their shoulders in the process.
It has to be knowledge put into practice if it is related to practical things. Otherwise it's just living in the books.

Yeah a person who does that has much bigger problems than thinking they learned how to fire a gun from counter strike. To do something that stupid you'd have to be mentally unsound, especially when the military teaches you how to hold a weapon. A person like that should have been aborted when their parents found out they were retarded. Shooting a gun is not hard, don't kid yourself. Everyone and their Grandma in the south can do it.

I suppose so. I can't really remember any educational games that made a meaningful impact. I'd give it a bit more credibility if there was actual proof of gamification being a useful thing.

It did make me look up channels and articles that deal with the topic and it's coming in useful in my game dev pursuits, since I incorporate the stuff I learned into the gameplay mechanics and overall portrayal of firearms. Trust me, I'd put it into actual practice and make it a hobby, but europoor laws are draconic to the point where it's not worth it.

Someone post a video of that idiot (Not Ben Kuchera, another idiot with the same game) playing that VR shooting game and being shocked to learn the bullet in the chamber doesn't disappear when you remove the magazine.

Fucking women lack the basic spatial awareness to go past you without hitting their bag into you, even if you are twice their size amd all the space around them is free.
Millitary guys fuck up majorly all the time with injuries.

If I use your logic on mental soundness I'd have to scratch off 80% of the world as retarded.

That's kind of neat. What kind of stuff does he import? Just about anything or does he keep it within a general area of interest, like books or video games?

That does not disprove anything.

No, but it will make you feel like shit when people like that are everywhere, barely functioning normally, yet absolutely superior to you and me in many fields.

He may think he did, but he didn't. There's more to economics than arbitrage.

jesus christ those grenade throws…
I couldn't throw that bad even if I tried

DCS: MiG-21bis taught me how to fly MIG 21
Does that count?

If you count knowledge as skill you can learn a lot of /k/-related shit from older games. The early CoD's, for example, will give you a working knowledge of WW2 small arms. Newer games though tend to completely ignore the actual facts of how stuff function for gameplay reasons though and are more likely to teach you nothing but myths (e.g. War Thunder, Battlefield 1) some older games have scattered ones like 'you can't part reload an M1 Garand but that's only one thing and semi-true on a practical level in combat conditions. Some of the more autistic games will actually teach you in-depth stuff, Rule the Waves will bring you up to speed on naval tactics and technology 1900-1925 pretty well and that's actually an extremely important factor in the build up to WW1.

This user knows his shit, Rocksmith is pretty great.

it is

Mostly Star Wars merch. He figured out that there's storm trooper cosplay kits that aren't sold in our country, so he imports them from the UK and resells them locally at a premium. Also drug dealing, I think.

I don't think he said he's an expert since he went to college for a different major.

My Summer Car is neat for learning how a car is built. Obviously it won't turn you into a mechanic but it's a neat start.

MMO player driven economies are pretty much close enough to the real thing that real economists love MMOs and and use them for analysis and research. All the important lessons you learn when trying to make bank in the auction house is applicable to other careers in economics, likewise being a hardcore guild leader gives you real managerial experience that is directly applicable to an office job.

I just realized I still remember a lot of the facts from the old Magic Schoolbus games I had as a kid. Teachers used to tell me I was a smart boy back in school because I knew all these random facts about any subject that came up.
I miss kind of miss school.

same

Would the Art Academy series (while not a game with any win/loss condition) that teaches you how to paint count?

You can learn Morse code in Steel Diver Sub Wars. There is even a single player mission that requires you to input words quickly and correctly still never beat the hardest version of that mission. While Morse is used to talk to your team mates in multiplayer. The game even had a separate Morse code chatroom that was patched out early on.

Had the Space one pre-installed on our family PC in the 90's. It was pretty good, tons of interactive stuff to click on each screen and I remember the facts and terrible jokes.
Who are the fastest people on Earth?
The Russians!

Never before has one user been so wrong. Bravo.

What if Osu was used to help people practice drawing

Put the goalposts back where you found them. "Don't give money away for no reason" isn't economics any more than "buy low, sell high" is. Economics is a science. If you aren't analyzing production, distribution, and consumption, you aren't practicing economics.

Yes flight sims are probably the best example because you're learning to fly the real plane and need to read the actual manual.

I remember back in school we would have this game called "Hunger in Africa" for DOS. It was proprietary and developed by a literal nobody from Germany for educational use, so it's pretty much lost to time now.
math-edu.de/Vernetzungen/Schriftenreihe/Materialien Materialband 1_Hunger.html

The game would put you into the roles of an African farmer and you had to make management decisions in regards to your farm, i.e. decide whether to send your children to school or have them work on the fields, purchase equipment (which broke over time), build water holes, decide on the crops and so on. Everything was random and you could play until you ran out of money, so it was like a roguelite before that term existed.

There are also stories of children using games like Oregon Trail or Civilization to learn from. Games are best at teaching you when they set up a framework for experimentation. By that I mean the game sets up the rules and lets you do stuff, it reacts to what you did and thus forces you to make new decisions.

This is something all those "educational games" like Math Blaster (vid related) keep getting wrong. There is no choice to be made in Math blaster, you either get it right or you don't. You have to freedom to experiment with anything, it's just like doing homework.

Gamification is a load of horseshit. It's literally Good Boy Points for normalfags. You know how to motivate little children you turn everything into a game or a song or something? Now that same sort of thing is being done for grown-ups. You get points for buying things, for browsing the internet, every mundane task needs to be turned into a spectacle. Maybe I'm missing some part of the brain that derives pleasure from meaningless treats, but I am mostly just annoyed. Just let me get the thing I want, don't throw all this shit in my way.

* You have no freedom to experiment with anything, it's just like doing homework.

Actually is not wrong. I've worked at universities before where professors in the economics department were using MMOs for research.

I'm surprised I didn't think of this earlier. I think the older civilization games are a great way to get kids to understand the basics of international relations theory. As a kid I also learned European and African geography from playing the original C&C.

lol

You DO realize that there was a time when there were white people in Africa?

Yes, but I assume he was speaking of a nigger.

Coincidentally, when the farmers in Africa were white, the farms worked. Now that the white farmers are mostly gone, the entire continent requires international food aid to not starve. Funny how that works.

If you think that game sounds funny you should play this Source mod made by more bleeding heart Europeans: moddb.com/mods/frontiers1

No, it isn't.
And if you look deeper into economies in MMOs, you have exactly that. Economics is not about having fancy charts, it's about working with the data available to you to get a profit using limited resources. In every single MMO you will find people piling up seemingly worthless items in preparation for a major content update to sell at a profit to returning and new players, you also have market rigging in every single multiplayer game that has some sort of marketplace.

I acquired fluency in English thanks to vidya.

Another thing I didn't see mentioned ITT is KSP. Although I doubt I'll ever get to use orbital mechanics IRL.

There was nothing political in the game, it was just an economic simulation to explain how a famine happens.

critical thinking is the key to success ;^)

t. anthropologist

Materials engineer

The game that taught me about driving on ice and snow years before I ever actually had to, and probably made me a better driver in general. The newer ones have some really good physics, so even if you play with a controller you can get a feel for how each vehicle handles differently.

That sounds an awful lot like this one here:
3rdworldfarmer.org/

City sims are pretty good at teaching you the basics of urban design and traffic management. As retarded as its traffic can be, Cities: Skylines showcases why some designs work and others don't.