Frostpunk

A demo was shown on PAX and while it's fairly short (10 ingame days) you can already form your impressions about the game. Some compare it to Settlers and I agree, the resource gathering mechanic looks similar. What are your thoughts?
Also, city builder games thread, I suppose.

So where's the demo

Press release only, I'm afraid. You can still watch people play it on Youtube.

it was always a retarded thing to say

Not a fucking thing
the DIY aspect is gone from [genre]punk

It's currently associated with the aesthetic side of whatever [thing] in [thing]punk is, yes.
You could say that the [thing] part still means something, it's the punk that lost it's meaning.

The higher resolutions get, the less new games with a lot of text I play. Have you tried playing shit like Sunless Sea? The text is for ants. And no I'm not getting glasses, it's the resolutions that are at fault. Lower resolutions were just fine fucking damn it.

Made by the same devs that made this war of mine. Expect only one style to win and everything else goes to retard levels of fuck you.

Jeez, was it really that bad? Also, have you heard that they adapted it into a board game?

next time put that shit in the subject, OP

We can still discuss them, right?

Looks comfy.

Has anyone tried this one? Asking because of similar aesthetics and probably the same problems.
It's a piece of shit made by devs that are too stupid to actually make decent gameplay and feels a lot like they either don't even play it or they have some kind of voyeur fetish.

It's your standard fare steampunk city colony builder with eldritch abominations mixed in because why not.
There's a clear progression in buildings regarding what the materials they need to be built (wood&stone => bricks => lacquered wood) which means that you'll not have some of the later buildings until you have a well established economy.
HOWEVER you'll get several events and problems right off the bat that do need those buildings like a church or a barber (it's where you heal people)

Your colonists also have moods which is cool for simulations like these and you'd think that happier moods means they work faster or better, yes? Actually no, happier moods means they work an extra hour or two every day. I'm not shitting you, there are 2 hours every day where they will do nothing (on top of the night when they sleep and the lunch break) if they aren't happy with their current condition.
This would make sense if they could spend those 2 hours actually improving their mood on their own, but that simply doesn't happen, they just idle about complaining about how hungry they are instead of making food or complain about the lack of beds instead of working to make more.

Combat is also a big part of the game but threats scale pretty badly and there's no form of natural healing, only the barber shop you can only get much later with a well enough established economy to sustain it, so you'll keep losing people left and right until that point unless you play in a very passive way and allow bandits\fish people free reign over your colony.
And losing too much people makes you lose reputation with your own faction to the point where they will send nobody else to replace them until you improve said reputation.

Now how do you improve your reputation? By building an office where you can grind points to spend on diplomatic options.
The problem here is that the number of buildings you can have is hardcapped by your current population and even if a building has no one working on it, it still counts. So in the beginning you're gonna have to build a few buildings that don't even contribute towards your economy just to avoid bad shit later on.
Because your own population wasn't already a good cap on how many buildings you can have, of courseā€¦

And on top of all of this, they are still fucking savages that eat food off the ground because there's no personal stockpiles or a mess hall or anything similar (there's a public house but they only drink booze in it, eating in chairs is verbotten)
All they do is eat shit off the ground, booze themselves, complain about life, join weird cults when they've had enough of complaining and if they have some free time, actually work.
They are so bad and inneficient that the best "meta" for playing the game is to rely on random foraging in the beginning and avoid all automation options in your workshops, only produce strictly what you need and when you need it.

THIS IS THE THIRD TIME THIS THREAD HAS BEEN POSTED IN THE PAST TWO WEEKS

By comparison and to post something actually good: Stonehearth.
Not to be confused with Hearthstone, the shekel-trading game by Blizzard, StoneHearth is a voxel citybuilder with cute aesthetics, a pretty good soundtrack and lots of very neat details for gameplay.

You start the game with equipment chosen by you before embarking, you arrive at an empty area and you have to build a large city there, common stuff for city builders. What sets the game apart is that instead of pre-made buildings, you have furniture instead and the ability to design your own buildings voxel-by-voxel with high degrees of customization.
It's an autists wet-dream since you're essentially playing creative minecraft but with a top-down view and you can then just watch the Hearthlings building it for you, making buildings in whatever shape and form you'd like taking the apropriate materials as needed.
Buildings have no defined function however, it's the small workbenches that they actually work on and you can even have them on open ground if you wish instead.

What defines the role of them is the tool given to them, creating a neat progression where certain roles are required for someone else to take a certain role as they make their tools. They also rank up in their particular role and need a certain role to change into higher ranking positions so your Farmer is gonna need some experience before becoming a Sheperd.
However, since the roles they progress through just do the same function but in an higher level (farmer and sheperd both produce food, sheperd just does it better and with more variety) you have every option you need at the start while feeling like you're improving as the game goes on.

Combat has some variety with melee, ranged and clerics assisting them with a decent squad mechanic to easily control your troops. You're also gonna get fucked because the cute aesthetic will make you understimate the game, but the raids you get later will be fucking brutal if you're not prepared and they will steamroll you.
However the scaling is pretty decent and you'll always feel like it's your fault for not being prepared, not the game that threw shit at you.

There's also something pretty unique to it: you can dig the ground and mountains to make tunnels and large rooms so you can indeed experience the dwarven life. The game features an excelent cut-through function to see undeground that's pretty amazing and I wish more games did this, since the only other example I can remenber is Gnomoria.

The devs are still working on it and adding new things, the game has a very cute aesthetic, pretty decent customization and gameplay, it's not simple but also not too demanding and it's a very, very comfy city builder.

Or maybe it's the exact same thread? You're no longer on faggotchan, here threads can last a long, long while if they are niche.

Ya should've started with that. That basically means it'll never get finished or become shit by the time it does.

It's already pretty good with the content it has, it's mostly in the state that Rimworld has.
It's pretty much a finished game that still has updates done for it, Devs are now doing stuff like making Hearthlings require some space around them so you don't cram the poor guys into tiny holes for houses and similar content.
You can pirate it and check the game for yourself it's what I've done and it's pretty fun already, especially for anyone that enjoys customization.

That's a shame. I had hopes for this game. Perhaps, the devs will improve the AI in future updates.

This sounds interesting. If my backlog of citybuilders runs dry, this will be my go-to game.
And now, my favourite - Majesty: The Fantasy Kingdom Sim. I like it because every hero class in this game has its own preferences (for example, barbarians rarely buy health potions or if there are undead on the map paladins will independently go out there and hunt them down). Then there's the aesthetic - visual style, music, even mission briefings - all set the scene perfectly. And last but not least, mods. Usually, they're only maps with unique mechanics but one stands out - Majestic Majesty. It's fully compatible with vanilla and expansion campaigns and adds a lot of new stuff like new monsters, new buildings and even mana system for caster heroes (namely, wizards and healers).
As for Majesty 2, I can say that it's different from the first game and that is alredy enough to draw ire from long-time fans. There's still Cold Sunrise mod that brings the game closer to the first one.

Last update has been over an year now, the game is finished for them.

I still have to try 1 since I've only tried 2. It's a decent game and unique at it, but it does get somewhat boring eventually.
I'll usually default to the same build order for early defense and once a market is running, gold trickles in non-stop so it's mostly spam.
Didn't liked how parties require a decent amount of research to start or that spells cost money, making them useless at the start and spammy in the end.

I get the idea was to put focus on the heroes with indirect control, but the village side is very barebones, the very thing you have more control over. I was expecting mines and logger camps to supply blacksmiths, trades with other villages, farms that could be attacked by monsters and had to be defended or your population would starve or at the very least more peasants than heroes roaming around the village.

Majestic Majesty adds a semblance of your city developing. You start with simple homes, then after a certain amount of buildings is built manors start popping up (they give more tax money and come with arbalest mercenary) and eventually estates (which your heroes can visit to receive a blessing from a noble).

What does this fucking mean?
I understand cyberpunk because it was formed during the 70s/80s by actual punks. Punks no longer exist, the whole punk movement hasn't existed for a generation.
So what the fuck is frostpunk? Are people wearing ice mohawks? Are people wearing ripped jean jackets made of snow and listening to ice level music on boomboxes made out of frost that they're carrying around on their cold shoulders?

Or is it just an ice-themed game that they thought would sound "cool" and "edgy" if they put the word "punk" in the title because "punk" focus-tests well with todays youth?

You seem to have neglected the legendary voicework.

MORE GOLD YOUR MAJESTY!

Looks pretty cool, and its made by poles so i might give it a shoot

The game's central theme is survival in near-arctic conditions. If we go by dev's logic, the "-punk" prefix means "aesthetic centered around thte game's theme". There's no denying that this is basically steampunk with extra cold protection though.

When I wrote "mission briefings" I indirectly meant voicework as well. George Ledoux did a superb job voicing Venn Fairweather.
He's also a pretty cool guy, as shown in embed.

It means the central theme of the game is the struggle between a large imperialistic\authoritarian force that controls at least 80% of the world and values collective values versus a rag tag group of opponents that may or may not work together as well as a few rogue elements that just do their own thing for their own sake, both types valuing their own individuality far more than how well they fit with the other side.

Then you apply whatever X is for aesthetics and as central mechanics for said struggle.
Cyberpunk is about humans adquiring amazing abilities with cybernetic implants but having them regulated and misused for control by the government\conpanies while Punks steal or do their own implants to stop the plans of control from those same entities.
Cypherpunk is about controlling and hiding information, often centralized by big companies or big government, with Punks (or hackers in this case) running their own servers and methods to hide and steal information.
Dieselpunk is about fuel-powered machinery that allows for an industrial revolution for those that control the source of fuel, punks trying to make their own machines with their own fuel sources or stealing fuel themselves.
Biopunk is about forced genetic evolution and manipulation, strands of DNA manipulated and stored by big companies while punks perform their own experiments in back alley labs, etc.

The fundamental theme is always the same and quite the cliche, it's appeal comes from how the X mingles with the "punk" part of it.

Only this time, large imperialistic/authoritarian force is represented by a force of nature. We still play as punks, so all's well.

that actually makes sense, i never thought of it in this way

That doesn't actually work, sorry. Nature is not conscient about it on the same level that humans are.
There's struggle but its not class struggle, with one side trying it's best to keep the status quo for personnel advantage and the other side fighting to change it because they believe some balance can be reached.
Nature also doesn't have superior tech\mechanics than colonists that it monopolizes and uses for personnal gain, while colonists have to make do with makeshift alternatives. On the contrary, colonists have superior tech than the wildlife on the account of not being animals after all, that they use to survive much more easily than everyone and everything else.

If you want to establish the idea of "survivalpunk", it's nature itself that plays the role of punk.
And even then this doesn't make sense, cyberpunk is not about surviving in the gutters of a large city surrounded by people leaving synthetic lifes, it's about doing that because someone or something else is making a conscious effort to keep you there so they themselves can enjoy their cushy life and it's mostly about you trying to change\keep it that way.

I disagree. This cataclysm is global, so it's a perfect fit for a "unstoppable force bent on conquering everything" role. Technology is not cure-all (especially if survivors run out of coal), and people still suffer from frostbite if they stray away from the heat. Also, let's take into account that this happened around 1886, so there's also bound to be some class struggle inbetween people in the final release (hopefully).

Except it's not conscious, it has no motivations at all and it's not trying to "conquer" anything whatosever.
This is like trying to equate an arsonist to a flame. What matters for the idea of a punk movement is not merely that the resistance against a bigger force, it's also the reasons and motivations behind them and the ideologies that motivate each side. Nature has no reason or motivation to throw a blizzard or a tornado your way, that's just nature being nature.

Compared to animals that must rely on shelter they can't make on their own unless with great effort, that must rely on natural fat layers or hair for cold protection, see a lot more natural predators trying to kill them and overall having much worse lifespan expectations?
Tech isn't perfect but men do have it a lot easier regarding protecting themselves from natural predators or the environments than just about anything on Nature's side has.

Not the same thing, those are petty fights amongst the population regarding small differences, the group stays cohesive and doesn't differ that much.
To reach a meaningfull point here, you'd need different settlements treating it's citizens in different ways or using natural resorces and having expansion policies that make each other incompatible .

aren't you the authoritian forces here?

Hard to be anarcho-communism in a hostile environment.

But very easy to be anarcho-primitivist :^)
In all serousness, until it's confirmed that there will be other survivor factions, we're the bad guys for all we know.

You know what, I agree. So far, the laws only differentiated for child jobs, burial and sick treatment. Perhaps we do need to wait for further information, what with the demo ending at the point of discovering that there's another generator city out there.