Puzzle Game General - /pgg/

Alright faggots, let's play some puzzle games

Don't be one of those GYCL faggots, WYCF is so much better
Oh Meteos, why did you have to be taken from us so quickly.

Set up netplay, tell everyone on the internet how good you are at video games, or just complain about inane shit like usual, whatever.

Other urls found in this thread:

puyovs.net/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Do we seriously need a general for everything?

Would anyone talk about puzzle games otherwise?

I guess not, I like Mean Bean Machine more than PP.

But i suck at puzzle games.

Here's a game I'm not sure that I like. I mostly played the second entry in the series on a Super Famicom emulator and I find that combos are effectively random occurrences as the game moves too fast and it's too confusing to see what chains and combos one can pull off. Plus, the voice samples get on my nerves.

The weird thing about pic related is that one of the characters, Detective Bruce, plays an entirely different game from every other player. I guess it's because he's a joke character but that would be like me and three friends playing couch co-op but, while they're playing Goldeneye and their screens: I'm playing Metroid Prime.

Picross 3D

Any particular reason why?

And to clarify my point from earlier
It feels like you can't get anywhere without making a thread angry about bullshit or being inflammatory.

While "get gud" is the most basic advice I can give, any particular ways in which you suck? I'm terrible at pretty much every game myself, so I'm very good at figuring out how somebody not-retarded could get good.

Maybe there's a less terrible version of it somewhere, like a sequel or prequel. Also, is Bruce playing Puzzle Bobble/Bust A Move? That's a good game I forgot entirely.

Aw shit nigga, Picross 3D 2 has one of the most comfy tunes in a puzzle game of all time. HAL knows what the fuck they're doing pretty much all the time. I'm playing the first one on my DS flash cart right now, I'm less impressed, but that's what I get for playing the sequel first.

Pingas

Puzzle games is a genre i never really played that much but would like to get better at. There's something about retro and arcade puzzle games that interests me that i don't really know why. I've played a few here and there including puyo puyo vs but i sucked in general. Another one i wanted to try was cleopatra fortune and the plus version. Tetris attack looks fun but hard when the tiles starts moving at sanic speed.

The one I'm mainly thinking of getting good at is Yoshi's Cookie's VS mode. It's a lot more deterministic, although the randomness and speed come in different ways.

puyovs.net/
Get this shit set up, everybody. Free Puyo Puyo with netplay and rankings, loads of mods, 50 players in one match.

I guess that's a valid reason, but at the same time Puyo Puyo isn't the same game without the counter rule.

It would be fun to play puyo puyo but i suck in general. I can somewhat make a 2-chain if i try but i tend to hesitate alot.

Nigga how the fuck can you suck Puyo? Maybe the newer ones have a slight learning curve but the old games like Mean Bean Machine are dirt simple.

I know it's very different from puyo or tetris but how do you guys feel about Professor Layton games? Personally, even though they don't have replay value, they're super comfy games.

They're an odd case. While the setting is a lot like one of those point-and-click adventure games, instead of integrating the puzzle into the world they're instead their own little separate part of the game. I think that has to do with how early in development it was just a collection of puzzles before they came up with the idea to dress it up all fancy to attract women or something.

I tend to take my time at how i should place puyos to form chains and i end up screwing myself over. Just clearing puyos is nothing, it's forming chains that i need more practice with.

Once you learn how to build stairs making 3-4 chains is dead simple, making your chains fast is going to be the first real hurdle.

I am the greatest puzzle league player on the entire image board-verse. Long have I yearned for a worthy challenge.

Anyone specifically playing Panel de Pon? I just want to give those characters some love for all the times they got erased in localization.

The thing with magical drop is that it's very lenient when it comes to what counts as a "chain." If you match up anything before the last match's animation is done and any "floating" pieces have fallen into place, it counts as part of the chain.

Consequently, battle is intense when both players are good because both sides are constantly sending junk to each other. You want to get as many 3 matches as you can. If you solve large batches, you run out of pieces to work with and have to hope you can start a new chain in the five seconds it takes for the incoming attack stack to turn an almost empty screen into an overflow.

Magical drop V is half-finished and Long-abandoned. Best version AFAIK is the Neo Geo of Magical Drop 3. Might want to see if there's a patch that can give an unbutchered English version. The official english version replaced all the unique voice clips with one set, and removed enemy characters from the board game mode.

The original unreleased Ghostlop is pretty good too, But MD5 has a crappy version of it that only has easy to eliminate patterns and a bug that leaves ghostlop characters at severe disadvantage in battle against Magical Drop characters.

I've been getting crazy into Puyo Puyo/Mean Bean Machine lately. What's the best game in the series? Should I get Puyo Puyo Tetris?

I want to like Meteos, but it's too easy to just shuffle blocks around extremely quickly without even looking.

Anyone up for Planet Puzzle League via a WFC emulator?

I'm assuming you've already played Tsu. Personally I like Sun the most because it has the most personality. 15th and 20th Anniversary are great just because of story mode length and quirky game modes. You can play the Fever games and 7 if you want to see more from the characters introduced in the Sega games. Chronicle is fun if you're okay with blindly stumbling in the dark because there's no translation. Unfortunately the translation team at Puyo Nexus got disbanded so there's still quite a few of the games left untranslated - like 20th for example, which is a shame because it helps flesh out the characters a lot. If you asked about PPT before the patch I would have told you that it was a Tetris game with Puyo Puyo characters in it, but at least I heard that the balance patch really did a lot of good so I'm on the fence on it. You might want to practice your guideline Tetris before playing online anyway just so if it's still bad then you could play Swap mode (switching between the two modes on a time interval).

I'm down to play some Money Puzzle Exchanger on fightcade or PuyoVS with you virgins later.

AM I I THE ONLY VITA PLAYER IN THE WORLD TRYING TO FIGURE THIS GAME OUT?
I can't figure out if this game is SUPPOSED to be "just play through constantly continuing to get through the entire soundtrack" or "somehow get gud without any real mechanics explanation or tutorials" or if it sucks or if I just suck. Not looking for hand-holding here, but if any other anons actually play this…what are your general strats for setting up good combos, clearing the play field when it gets too overwhelming, best power to user, etc?
Also, i can fuck up ANYONE else in competitive Dr. Mario come at me, 'rio

Game is tight, cheap, and dope.

THEY MADE A SEQUEL?! 3DS download only oh well polite saging my own shitty double post with too many spoilers texts

fucking virgins lmao

I like Puzzle Pirates.

GYCL faggots, WYCF
I don't know what these are.

Who else likes Puzzle Fighter?

picross fags report in
bonus points for 2D

Get a 3DS and hack it, there's bound to be a few good games, and you can download a ton of them right from Nintendo's servers.

I'm upset the sequels are a licensed Disney game and some XBOX 360 game with DLC.

I played like all the Picross e games off the 3DS eShop. I don't think I've ever heard worse music than I did in 7. Or was it 6?

GYCL is the Global Yoshi's Cookie Leage, a bunch of goons who play competive Yoshi's Cookie at MAGFest or some shit. As I said, faggots. WYCF is the World Yoshi's Cookie Federation which I made up just now, I thought it would be amusing.

Bowser's a big guy.

Why do puzzle games have the best girls Holla Forums?

Never played it myself but I'd be up for a few rounds in fightcade.

She's not worst girl but she's pretty mediocre.

The original is still the most compelling puzzle game of all time. You can't put down this game, once you have started.

You know… Now that I think about it as mediocre as Ringo is she's still higher quality than most girls in non-puzzle games.

Zachtronics makes the best puzzle games. If you think otherwise, your opinion is wrong.

I played the shit out of the game on the DS. The PC version is all Lua, XML and PNG images, if I had the time I would love to write an open-source engine for it that uses the resources from the original and be fully moddable.

One thing to keep in mind with Puzzle Fighter is that no matter what you do, the volume is always cranked up to fucking 11. Even speakers unplugged, once you heard it it'll never stop hurting you. But the game is fun.

BUT WHY WOULD BOWSER TAUNT MARIO BEFORE THROWING HIM OUT OF A PLANE?
Also why the fuck is Mario riding a KoopAir plane, literally a plane from a company from a country they're at war with? Is it like the whole Qatar Airlines deal where Bowser's so filthy rich he can afford selling services to enemy kingdoms?

after puzzle & dragons came out theres no chance for an actual game like puzzle quest ever again

Actually you're right. I can't argue with that. That's kind of sad, actually.

I don't understand. Is the game always loud, or is it hard to get the tunes out of your head?

Ah, early 2000s, good times.