Desert Gameplay

Okay, so I'm a sucker for desert settings. Bonus points if it's North American based. Timeline doesn't matter, because deserts are always timeless. I'm so tired of metrosexual environments, strictly cities, and tropical shit. Games that try to achieve those settings always looked like shit. Deserts on the other hand, with the proper colors and lighting then you have a recipe of having almost life like visuals without shitty frame drops. Also there's a mannerism in desert gameplay that you won't find anywhere else. A raw and often brutal personality is given birth in these environments. And finally, the ever lasting horizons in the deserts suggests a never restricting freedom and the barren space gives towns and cities a much stronger role for survival and importance. So, what makes the rest of you think about this under appreciated and under used setting in games?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=yTCW10GGGZo
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Fallout 4

Deserts are samey and boring bullshit 99% of the time. Just an excuse to stretch your map further or fill it with random crap.

Nah man, it's an opportunity for the best scenery. Imagine driving in a dune, exploring, and you see a plane wreck on the horizon through all the distorted heat haze. You can't tell me that you won't haul your ass over there with so much anticipation on what you can find there.

Mad Max is pretty comfy.

Desert + tank warfare, big yes. You people need to realize that a desert environment is also a big playground for military equipment.

too bad there's only 5 people on PS2 now

Then that plane is duplicated 20 times because the developer ran out of time to fill their stupidly large map.

Just start a new PS2 thread, I'm sure it'll get everyone hooked on it again.

Ah, then we have the developer and his poor financial deadline planning to blame. I understand that it may not be for everyone, but to me it is biggest palate for creativity.

That game does lend itself to great screenshots, I'll admit.

Get out

There's a mod to make it a true Fallout game, although thanks to Todd's shitty engine, the city tanks your FPS down to 15 with this mod.

I just want to ride a tank while wearing tactical shorts and goggles.

Shame no game really does Desert Warfare right.

Panzer Generals
Men of War Assault Squad
and if you can actually get enough fags to play it, Mare Nostrum for Red Orchestra

early game is fine but…..
late game upgrades are gotten not thew quests or collection but by 100%-ing regions making them fucking useless because by the time you get them enemies stop spawning. the most frustrating part is the harpoon that you need to tear down large shit is locked in this manner.
upgrading your vehicle is fun and neat and all but you will never be able to outrun vehicles and they will never out run you. (their speed is modified based on your relative position) your ramming damage is balanced out with armor so every encounter is the same. you cant build to be glass cannon or speedster. you will never be able to balance shit out to be just right for you. you will upgrade everything at the same speed and maintain the same game play as everything levels with you.
you clear bases by destroying anything of value, burn that oil rig/gas tanks. save for the kill random boss that is the same guy copy pasted over and fucking over.
hand to hand combat is the same fucker over and over with the buff that sometimes you HAVE to parry him or you HAVE to use heavy strikes. you cant hoard ammo and when you use it it barely works for shit. falling into the 1 shot minion move. and do jack shit to "bosses" melee weapons cannot be collected or hoarded either. pick one up and it lasts 5-10 hits based upon your character "build" that is railroaded into just upgrade everything at the same speed. to compensate for enemies getting the same buffs. to health and damage.

and then there is scrap, its basically diablo gold except you need it to level up. late game picking up a stack of 3-7 scrap while the upgrades that your are going for cost thousands. but it gets better the camps that you destroy send scrap to you. so your income is largely based upon clearing camps then sitting on your ass waiting for 400 gol-scrap shipments to come in. did i mention that scrap is the only resource you really need to collect? in the beginning of the game you are told you need to collect gas but then its so plenty full there is no reason to conserve it. then you unlock upgrades at strongholds that just take care of that for you. food and water are fucking health potions. and upgrades are not some relic or item you find but shit made out of scrap. engine block? nah man make that shit out of random scrap parts. harpoon? dude just make it out of scrap. sniper rifu? scrap. rubber tires? scrap metal. they had a huge opportunity here and they wasted it for 1 resource shenanigans for casual plebs to jack off to.

then there is the story, that is about you saving a prostitute and her kid so you can raise it. while the gameplay plays towards you replacing the current warlord. by vying for support of local warlords and pushing for you to replace lord ballsack. during witch you go to lord ballsacks fortress and challenge his second in command to a race for whore and magic v8 engine and then are surprised when he doesn't give it to you. oh did i mention you "kill" lord ballsack in the opening cut seen? only for him to show up again for you to beat his ass down. then beat his ass down, then beat his ass down. as his supporters constantly have to baby sit him. "but he rules with fear guy" even thew he proves himself to be incompetent at beating some raggedly ass faggot. with the support of 12 of his local fuckboys.

Afgahnistan map in MGSV looks good

Red Orchestra and COD1 were the best fun we had these gamenights.

Kenshi.

Fictional world/setting, post-apocalyptic in every way except that the dev says it's not actually post-apocalyptic, scifi elements, visually looks somewhere between Morrowind and feudal Japan. It's an RPG, a realtime squad game, and a colony/town simulator all in one, with no real end goal or way to win. Tons of freedom and really interesting dynamic AI. Massive handcrafted map. While it's not all desert, it's pretty much all wasteland or weird hostile environments. Graphics are kind of ugly, reflective of the era when development started, but they do the trick.

It's been in development for 8 years, used to be a one-man project but expanded to a small team after Early Access became a thing. We used to have fairly regular threads, but they died out.

The trailer says a lot about the game's atmosphere and attitude: youtube.com/watch?v=yTCW10GGGZo

I miss the Kenshi threads.
I had the best kenshirobot.

Oh shit, I remember your Kenshirobot. We should revive the general, those were good times.

Seems like a substantially better in every way rimworld

rest of the map NEVER EVER

It's less in the vein of Rimworld and Dorf Fort and more of an RPG where you just happen to have up to 30 party members that you can also use to build towns. Your dudes are just smart enough to follow combat stance orders, eat when they're hungry and there's food, and to rest if they're idle and wounded. You can set up production queues where they'll do task 1 until unable, do task 2 until task 1 is available, do task 3 if 1 and 2 are unavailable, etc. No matter what, there's a lot of micromanaging, but once your queues are set up and your food production is stable, a town is close to self-sufficient. The NPC AI is quite good.

Also, unlike Rimworld and DF, the focus isn't necessarily on towns. There are tons of features there, but you also don't have to set up a town. It's the best way to make lods of emone and get high-end gear, but you can simply be a wandering ronin, or be a trader, or explore, or become a professional thief, or turn into a proper bandit that actually robs travelers and caravans, or all of the above. It's a true sandbox, and not just because most of the map is barren sandy wastes - but unlike most sandboxes, it feels surprisingly alive.

Roadmap actually projected that it would be released this month, and the only thing left was to populate it, so maybe soon.