Your favorite franchise that shit the bed

Just…Would it kill them to make SO2 style game and use 2d sprites? Maybe bring back the skill point system form SO1 & 2? They could tweak it as needed but it was a good skill system. Bring back PAs that have interesting character interactions. No more shitty 3D model moe shit. Have drama but don't make it melodramatic. It doesn't matter at this point I guess. They've already squandered all the good will they had with the fanbase anyway.

At least there's titty witch. Cline is better though.

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.is/Oa4NM
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

They hit the point of no return with 3. You can tell they wanted it to be some masterpiece with hour long cut scenes and shit but they managed to pull off the worst plot twist in a videogame and fucked the series forever. There's a reason everything after it was a prequel. I actually didn't think 4 was that bad, but it missed everything that made 2 good.

I didn't even bother playing 5, i've just accepted they either can't, or won't do any of the things that made 1 and 2 so good ever again.

To be honest, I'm surprised it even got a fifth main game after how bad fan reception of SO4 seems to have been. Either way though, Square was quick after SO5 to relegate the series to mobile hell ("Star Ocean: Anamnesis"); same with Valkyrie Profile ("Valkyrie Anatomia: The Origin").

You either die the hero or live long enough to see yourself become the villain.

How the hell is Star Ocean your favorite franchise?

It's really starting to look like Fiore would be not just the biggest reason for me to play, but maybe the ONLY reason to play. I guess it's just not worth it.

3D killed SO. By implementing 3D and all the budget costs associated with it, they insured that map size would never be too big, skills would never be the same, combat wouldn't be silly anymore, characters design would be more plain, and a whole slew of other bullshit that kills everything that made SO1/2 good. 3D is the true evil.

Star Ocean should have jumped to handhelds, the only place still allowable in the current industry to have a fully 2D game without anyone batting an eye. It would have flourished with the typical VN-style of dialogue, less voice acting, and the vast and expansive world that 2D allows.

DR1 was a good game with some weird ass ports, Dead Rising 2 though with noticeably slower movement is still a great sequel because they didn't change too much that made the original great and added on to it with combo weapons when they were in their prime, expanding upon the world as well. DR3 was where the franchise went downhill, with all the technical polish and improvements it was too accessible and easy to newcomers, and the story and music were notably worse along with the greybrown colors. And do we really need to beat the dead horse called DR4 again?

I want to fuck floor tiles witch.

God that game was a disappointment. Despite being hyped as hell.

-Combat was shit despite platinum working on it.
-Being forced to play with 9S for the majority of the game.
-Story that barely has any fucking connection to the first game.

As for series that shit the bed. Corpse Party: Blood Drive was the biggest piece of shit i had the misfortune to play on Vita after waiting forever for that game after Book of Shadows.

And outside that game the series became a complete clusterfuck with spin off that all follow their own cannon.

Also i doubt they will ever fucking finish the real sequel to the original game, Corpse Party 2: Dead Patient.

Dead Space

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

1 & 2 are probably the best 2d sprite JRPGs ever conceived by man, specifically 2. There's no other game I've given more playthroughs of than it.

Its such a shame about MGS4. I'd give the game an 11/10 if it actually let you play the damn thing. The gameplay, tech, and everything else is incredible but you don't experience it longer that 5 minutes at a time.

Diablo

Blizzard happened

Megaman in 2000…
-Legends series has 3 games under it's belt, and 2 ended with a cliffhanger
-the classic series gets a collection release on, X gets a sequel and a handheld spinoff series
-RPG spinoff on Gameboy advanced
-Flash and Newgrounds breed a bunch of great megaman clones
-Dead rising uses the MML2 kick! and that surverbot head. that must mean Dead Rising is a prototype for the MML3 engine, right?
-Megaman 9 and 10 come out on Wii
-Megaman legends 3 in the works. The demo will be available on 3DS. Just a few more days and…

Tell me your pick for the best JRPG. I need a good chuckle.

It really fucking isn't.
t. Someone who played it.

I'm not saying 1&2 are shit, but how can it be your favorite franchise that died by 5 when 3 ruined everything? It would be like if a 2D only Sonic fan said 06 killed the franchise.

there is so much shit you can do in it and they only give you access to it in like the first section, everything after act 2 is total drag

Don't forget Ground Zeroes, which was solid, but really should not have existed as it did in the first place.

You mean like getting other people on your side so you have some actual friendlies on the field?

ground zeros was a better map than EVERYTHING in TPP which was really fucked up. it made me think that TPP was going to have multiple complexes to explore like in GZ but instead i got a bunch of shitty outposts and 1-2 major complexes

or even sneaking on a battlefield at all which was a big part of its original ad campaigns. but also all those various movement tools and gadgets. act 3 onward are so railroaded that you don't get to play with any of your gadgets

I could make separate threads detailing the shit shows that were 3 and 4. In my eyes 3,4,5 are plauged by the same problems that make them all equally shit. Predominantly the graphics just pull me out of the story.

In the original SO an SO2 it felt like an interactive anime whereas later entries it's like an interactive shitty CGI movie (most games on the market today)

There are also issues mechanically that compound the shit factor for 3 and beyond. Most notably how they threw away crafting and the skill system.

What a fucking waste.

But user, here is where the series actually shat the bed.

Legends is and always has been garbage.

Gaylo

On the first game?

No

You know that they've already confirmed a new Metal Slug is happening and 98% of MS7/XX's devs still works for them right?

Don't toy with my heart motherfucker.

archive.is/Oa4NM
They've already confirmed their next game is a fighting game (mostly likely samurai shodown) so you're still gonna have to wait a bit more.

I expect it to either be DRM-crippled cancer via Steam or 3D crap like their other latest fighting games. There is no hope. Metal Slug ended on a very high note, let's be happy.

Bruh, you were just praising a game released exclusively on handhelds/consoles. Gaming systems themselves are glorified DRM.
the cost of metal slug's sprite work and the amount of time it takes to make doesn't even come remotely close to the man hours and costs of KoF XIII's sprites. Fighting game sprites and Metal Slug's sprites are on two very different levels.
Plus the whole art team from MS7/XX still does new sprite work all the time for MSA too.

Ah yes, the "DRM is when you need something to play a game" definition. Guess I should hold my breath since I need an atmosphere to play.

can't copy that precious oxygen, you fucking consumer cuck

Please do.

lol you have lung drm

Age of empires and empire earth. They both followed a similar path of casualisation. AOE is still around, having its corpse dragged around by Microsoft, but empire earth is gone. It's sad, both these games could be amazing with a caring team and modern graphics. Empire earth 1 with updated graphics and AI would be the last game I ever need. It hurts man. It really hurts.

Fucking Canadians.

I will never stop being mad over Capcom killing Lost Planet with that abortion of a third game. Like fuck me, all they had to do was make was Monster Hunter with mechs and big guns. But no, we need to go and make it a shitty Dead Space clone.

Pretty much all of them, with the exception of legal hell my child hood is getting raped and sodomized left and right.

I liked part 2, because it felt like a RE2/3 version of the first game. I just wish it focused more on Isaac and left the baggage side characters on their own path. I also would have loved to see more interactions between necromorphs and the regular civilians. The option to go well out of the way to save civilians for a bonus ending and path would have been nice. Part 3 co-op shit the bed though. The ending was pretty bad too as there's nowhere to go from there. The brethren moons are already at Earth, so everything is fucked unless they do a hallucination cliff-hanger which would just be retarded as well.

I remember seeing the promo for one of the Star Oceans for the psx as a child. It came in one of those gaming magazines. I don't remember if it was official playstaion magazine or electronic gaming monthly. I used to love reading egm, but I can't even imagine the shit it's turned into with the rise of socjus in the west.

That's the rub. There's no real reason for the series to have gone to shit. I blamed it on the SquareEnix merger. It was one of the first titles after the merger. At least that's what I thought. Turns out the merger happened in April which was two months after the game was released in 2003.

Enix fucked it up. Most copies (specifically those in the U.S.) have the SquareEnix logo on the box so one might be forgiven for thinking square was the reason the game went to shit. I actually couldn't find boxart that didn't have the Squareenix on the front. The reality is Enix went to shit on it's own. Most people born post 2000's probably wouldn't even know Square and enix were separate entities. That kinda shit gets memory holed so unless you dig up the facts they kinda get lost to history.

I might pick up this game after all for research purposes if i can find it for 10 bucks or something.

I would not blame everything on the merge. Remember that Square practically drove themselves into the ground by wasting money like water trying to chasing the next FFVII level of susses.

The one thing i did notice is how fucking soulless Squeenix games are these days. Even if they make something decent their games still lack the heart that you'd find the old games.

It is heart that means that even if the game is kinda shitty, it'll have a kind of charm.

Heart is the difference between the quiet retard that tries and the loud retard with animal cunning who throws a fit to get his way.

The retard with heart… you don't mind so much that he's a retard.

I remember looking at a copy of EGM at the bookstore in 2013. It was exactly as bad as you would expect.

This

Planetside

?

Deus Ex

Halo

MGS

GTA

Saints Row

I just realized I forgot about Invisible War probably for the better

(☑)
👏パチパチ👏
Didn't forget those trips though.

Why?

Don't worry user, III will be a masterpiece 12 years in the making!

I don't get this. Are you fags seriously upset by the autistic story? The gameplay improved in II.

What did they mean by this?

On topic.

no words or reaction images would be enough to describe my butthurt about this. I loved every BoF from the passable 1 to the polarizing dragon quarter. fuck capcom man

duuuuuuuuuuuude, what an unnatural occurrence, that really looked like it was gonna work out too

HIS HAIR IS NOT EVEN FUCKING BLUE

That's not even Ryu. It's probably just the self-insert you play as, because of course you can't be an important character in an online game.

This is Ryu, who is apparently the main character's brother.

And then became stagnate in all the spinoffs. At least CoM tried to do something different but the rehashed worlds made it all so fucking boring.

So can I get more of that girl with green hair? She looks mega amazing.

YAMERO

We still have yet to have a bad core game. Unless they lost all the people who worked on KH2FM, I doubt it can be anything less than average at worst gameplay wise. Bets are up, and you can't say KH has shit the bed until III fails.

And it says his location is unknown, so he's probably not even in the game.

After 12 years of boring spinoffs and ports, I sure as fuck can say it shit the bed.

KH III can save it all though.

Now I'm feeling it. The frustration and anger that everyone else felt years ago when they saw has been absent to me this entire time, but seeing Ryuu here hit me with it all at once.

Not just Blizzard, but World of Warcraft happened. Not only did that piece of shit bring in a whole generation of cancer to the medium, it began the awful MMO trend of the 2000s which caused other companies to funnel money into endless money pits to have a piece of the pie.

Now Blizzard/Activision have more money than God, the terrible talent they brought in completely diluted the pool.

There's a clear point of games pre-WoW, and post-WoW. World of Warcraft is the 9/11 of videogames.

Your post is the 9/11 of this thread.

Your post is the 9/11 of this thread.

Thanks for the (Yous), kiddo.

Holla Forums is the Darksouls of images boards :^)

Awakening dumbed down the gameplay to make it into waifubait (but min/maxing was fun) and then Fates took out the waifubait because normalfags found it creepy and turned it from the fun kind of unbalanced into just unfun and unbalanced. I prefer not to think about the phone game.

???

Headpatting and bikinis. And they gave her a granny voice.

Why bother? They killed every jap series I liked. I might as well learn Somali for all the use it will be.

Not to defend Capcom after all the shit they've pulled over the years, but at least they're third party, and in theory aren't tethered to any particular platform. Unlike fucking Sony, who by all rights should be leaving the series they own on their own systems due to branding. I still blame Capcom and BoF6 for seemingly popularizing the "Got an old JRPG you're not doing anything with lately? Reanimate that shit as a zombie for mobile!" movement though. It's like these various companies have weighed that it's fine to trash your prior fan/consumerbase in order to chase the mobile market, as if a crowd that has never seen an actual game in the series is more likely to bring in more money than catering to the old, existing crowd will. And in Sony's case it feels especially egregious, as if to say that series they themselves own are no longer worthy of being on their systems.
I was actually surprised to see .hack being given another chance (even after having it's place amongst Namco's offerings usurped by Sword Art Online) via the PS4 reworking of G.U., which makes me wonder if Guilty Dragon didn't work out well for it. I suppose it could have also helped that decision that CC2 may have had a gap in work since Square removed them from Final Fantasy VII's remake development.

Sad how the industry keeps taking time to prove my father right. Every classic series that goes to mobile hell is another reason for him to be justifiably smug.

Are you incapable of searching a booru? You have the necessary tags.

Origin point for the terrible translation that hounds the series today.

Or Square went to shit when they kicked their head for the "Spirits Within" bomb before starting down the road to AAA delusions while Enix just went on doing what it did well.

Their talent ran off when all Square wanted to do was make Final Fantasy games.

Only series I can think of that Capcom are still doing something with that maybe haven't gone to shit.

Cleaning up the bed is gonna be the least of your problems.

I don't know, I'd bet the movement being from shit like Granblue and Fate Go being successful while following the JRPG formula to trap peoples wallets after waifus/husbandos lure them over.

Who would even work on a Wild Arms game?

Sony says that they got the original devs for both Wild Arms and Arc the Lad on for the mobile entries, which in the former case means Media.Vision, who made all the prior ones (with WA2 having input from Contrail as well). They'd prior been planning a Wild Arms 6 for PS4 and maybe Vita, apparently for the 20th anniversary the way WA5 was for the 10th anniversary (Kaneko seemed to have made a point of trying to get back former team members as well, like Naruke), and for a while Sony seemed onboard with it, only for Sony to eventually shitcan the idea and have them do a phone reboot instead. And since Media.Vision, despite having always worked on the franchises' games, never actually owned it, they can only do what Sony wants with it. At this point, the only things I've found enjoyable about the anniversary was the minor surge of new artwork (including some new official stuff), and Naruke's upcoming anniversary album, "Score Re;fire".

There is also a lesson to be had here: Just because the company that owns a series also owns their own line of consoles/handhelds, do not assume that those games will be safe from having their corpses dug up and given an rebirth in undeath.

There are no other JRPG franchises with an "old west" setting than Wild Arms.

I wish it were still going, but then I don't know how they would twist. it.

Yes, user. We're talking about modern vidya devs here. The effort of trying to make something of objectively high quality would be fatal to all of them.
Just rejoice in the fact that we have SO2, we will always have SO2, and it is perfect.

I mean fuck it man. Fuck it to death. Just…goddamn

Theres a chapter in Live A Live, theres also Metal Max which is technically wild west with you collecting bounties complete with wanted posters.

how did star ocean 3 ruin the series forever?

It was even more unfinished than Star Ocean 1 when it was released.

that didn't sound like the kind of "plot twist" that ruins an entire franchise though.

oh that
The entire game is an MMO

It was either this or westernized BoF a la Dragon Age or Skyrim and I'm not sure which would be worse.

I think I could have forgiven them the ridiculous plot, stupid as it may be. Really SO3 was a Star Ocean game in name only. There were bits and pieces that linked the SO3 to it's predecessors but make no mistake it was a different beast.

It's worse than that. Thanks to SO3, the entire series is fictional MMO. The plot twist was so shit It retroactively made SO1/2 worse as well, not to mention every subsequent game.

Look on the bright side. We still have russians still working on new stuffs.

The balance changes are brutal as a necro player. Everything necromancy related is cut in half.
Snowballing with skeletons is not a completely effortless stompfest anymore.
I understand the reasoning behind it but god damn let me have my fun.

Also the Corsair/Seadog unit is fucking busted. The idea is that it's a melee unit that can fire off a couple of shots. So you move the fucker up to a straight arrow and shoot, cause he's going to turn into a melee unit in two turns no biggie right?
And that's a tactically interesting idea, you get a lot of cool maneuvering that way, and it's fun on both ends of the engagement.

Well whooptie fucking doo wouldn't you know it, this fucker becomes absolutely cheap the moment you bring the ammo cart in. You can sit back and shoot trash, and not risk them if you fuck up, fail to box them in with 1-stacks right, because they're tanky enough to take it and have no melee penalty.

Worse yet, their third grade gets a weaker version of Fortress Gorgons' brown pant stare on shot. And you can mass the fuckers real easy, they're what tier 3 or 4 IIRC?

Every other unit in the new faction is fine, average stats with situational abilities, but the corsairs are straight killer.

Actually no, I'm lying. Their tier 1 is fucking killer early game. Teleporting, fast as fuck, and good damage. You can cheese early neutrals like nobody's business.
They nerfed the Conflux fairies and then made their factions T1 into pre-nerf fairies without no-retaliation.

And all of this is supposed to be balanced by high unit and building costs when you can knock creature banks out quick with a Nymph/Pirate setup.

Devs, I am on to you cunts.

She has a fairly shitty character design to be honest.

t. a gay

Russian's are such great Modders, they're an example we should look up to.

You say that, and yet look at the shitshow that is the venerated Stalker modding community.

Don't be a dumb nigger, Reach was the peak of the series

Sim City

I know Phoenix Wright will never be good outside the original trilogy, but I keep getting fooled.

I haven't played Metal Slug, what's the best to start with?

what the fuck is this shit?

yeah.

I never got to play SO5 even though I would pay 69.99 for it. It never came out on PC because Squeenix is dumb. Sucks to be everyone who wanted my money because they never got it. Guess I'm glad it turned out like this.

Will the Wild Arms 1-3fag stop ever sperging? I don't think it ever will.

dai gyakuten saiban is good

SMT considering how Atlus is are handling my favourite game of the franchise (Strange Journey) with their remake. At least I have Etrian Odyssey.

1. There has never been a good Diablo game.

2. Diablo III is the only playable one in the series

Did anyone ever make a translation patch to it?

**Don't you mean "Persona: Mystery Dungeon"?

learn japanese

Sorry nigga, but AAA doesn't do 2d sprites unless it's for a phone game. Your best bet is that some weeb who loves Star Ocean will make an indie game that feels similar.

Street Fighter

I want to stick my dick on her floor pattern clothing

SMT had been terrible for a while now.

Driv3r.
I don't even want to talk about it.

The game Polyphony truly needed to make and release as a PS2 launch title was Gran Turismo 2000. Upscaled version of 2 with uncompressed textures and audio, higher resolution, faster FPS, improved physics and all the shit they were unable to include before the deadline properly instated. Then work on 3 as the soft reboot that no-one expected it to be back around the turn of the millennium. By not doing something as simple and easy as repurposing a game they made for the previous generation as the base line for the new generation lost them potentially billions of dollars IMHO.

They redeemed themselves a little with 4 after keeping themselves relevant for the 4 years between 3 and 4, and is easily the second best installment next to the hole-filled 2, but everything beyond that point would be better off not existing at all.

I think you all know what happened with 5's development even if you're not a fan of racing games. All that waiting and it turned out most of the cars in the game still used completely unchanged PS2 models that in some cases potentially dated back to 1999. Then they did the same for GT6 in 2013. Now they're finally purging their catalog of junk for Gran Turismo Sport, but at the same time abandoning everything that made them in the first place.

Unless they've been secretly working on 7 the whole time and it's everything people have been wanting since 5 I don't think the franchise will survive much longer than its 20th anniversary. Even the more devoted fans have long since left for Forza, NFS, PCars or just about any other arcade sim out there.

If you want.

Fallout, p obscure game, look it up.

Ever since the PS3 they've been releasing these games slower and slower, to the point where I don't even care anymore. It was one of my favorite PS1 series too.

Is that supposed to look like Sonic?

There's so many components that make a proper SO game. I don't know if that feeling could be recaptured unless you had the original mold so to speak

It would need to be self aware of the kind of humor and story it's presenting without being too *wink wink nudge nudge* about it. Squeenix remade SO1 in the style of SO2. I played it. I was breddy good. Not as good as SO2 but it properly captured for me the SO2 feel. The story for SO1 does feel like it's all over the place though.

My point that I'm drifting away from is that squeenix knows how to make a proper 2D sprite brawler with special moves intertwined with compelling characters, a rewarding crafting system and an intricate skill tree. They have the recipe and the people who can make it. Instead of trying to reinvent the wheel they could make another star ocean game in the same style as the PSP SO1 & SO2 remakes and it would fucking fried gold. Maybe add some creature comforts to leveling and certain menus but you don't really need to change much from those two games.

A big chunk of the SO games is dialogue. I don't want to see clumsy 3dpd characters trying to "emote" when my imagination can do a lot more with simple text and basic emoji style pop up boxes from 2D characters. They can have voice actors if they want to and honestly I don't mind if there's campy voice acting since that actually fits in with the SO motif.

To prospective devs.

Unless you're pixar or suda51 don't bother trying to make me emotionally invested in your 3dpds unless you know how craft compelling characters. Whenever you have 3dpds played straight in a game it's off putting as fuck. Like watching a grade school play. I just tune out and roll my eyes.

For frame of reference- Think about the human characters in Sonic Adventure 1. They were low detail in the background. They weren't integral to the story and I challenge anyone to remember a specific human character from that game. Flash forward to Sonic Adventure 2 and Sonic 06. Not only do you have named human characters but the game expected you to be emotionally invested in their situations side by side with a blue anthropomorphic hedgehog. It was full on uncanny valley territory and my immersion of the universe was shattered instantly.

Another good example of 3dpds done right vs 3dpds done wrong would be RE4 vs RE5. Leon basically knew he was in a video game and played up his situations for laughs. Think of Luis Sera, Ramon Salazar, Saddler, the fucking helicopter pilot, the goddamn Spanish police that die in the first 3 minutes of the game, and of course everyone's favorite "whaddya buying?" gun merchant. Now think of RE5. Chris in RE5 was super cereal and everything was grim and gritty. My whole playthrough of RE5 was just me saying to msyelf "when am I going to meet a character I give two fucks about?". Apart from the GLOBAL SATURATION memes name your favorite character from RE5 that made you laugh or connected with you in some way. I can't fucking do it.

Most people weren't memed so hard by homosexuals on the internet that they can't react to anything that looks remotely real. You are in the extreme minority and your belief in the superiority of the meme is disgusting.
Also there is nothing wrong with Maria, you'd understand that if you were the ultimate life form.

One game isn't a series.

Nier is part of the Drakengard series.