Well, that ending was anticlimatic

>Walk down the chamber with the candles all along the walls
>Find the tabelt with the dev team giving thanks
>Finally see the cinematic opening to the final arena

>Proceed to kill the boss by holding down sprint, spamming the soulcube, and mowing everything down that get's in my way
And, this was on my first playthrough of the game (And, on the hardest difficulty). The ending did see everything wrapped (Though it appears that the rest of the survivors around the base were somehow killed), but it also felt like there was suppose to be more or something else for the base game beyond the tease at the end for RoE. I know there's the multiplayer (Which is dead) and the mods, but things just ended on a hollow note causing me to thurst for more.

Well, aside from that, I'd also like to know why this game is treated like such a black sheep. Up to the point where you enter Hell, the game kept getting more and more enjoyable. From there, it did plateau and become a bit samey, but there were some bumps along the way to keep things interesting. And, the complaint about the game being "too dark" has lead me to believe that people haven't actually played the damn thing because there is only 1 level (Hell) where that is a valid complaint, and it's only due to the absence of the flashlight.

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.fo/zR3ap
web.archive.org/web/20040104211139/http://finger.planetquake.com/plan.asp?userid=johnc&id=14425
archive.fo/UJhoh
please
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

We lived in an age of high quality back then. 7/10 is considered average instead of 5/10 for a reason, you know. Doom 3 was a solid 7 in many people's books, so compared to the godly Doom 1 and 2, it's understandable that it'd get grief.
But now, in the age of nuDoom and other turds dominating the market? Doom 3 is being seen as good now, because in today's level of standards, 7/10 means "good" again. And you know what, it deserves to be called at least good. It's more of a Doom game than nuDoom, at least.

7/10 WAS considered average*
Sorry for that probably incoherent post. Hope you understand a little bit more about why people felt the way they did about Doom 3 though.

it's really not.

Whatever you say, Bethesdrone.

never even played a game by em, but doom 2016 objectively has more in common with the old ones than doom 3.

That is just factually wrong. DOOD is superfluous "modern" systems and map layout slapped on Doom's gameplay. Doom 3 is an entirely different game altogether.

Doom 3 was essentially "monster closets in the dark while alt-tabbing to check codes for ammo lockers". It was not beloved by any measure.

I always enjoyed Doom 3. I can't recall many games like it when it released, it wasn't what the hardcore Doom fans wanted but I'm not one of them so it was fine for me. It really looked beautiful as well. OpenCoop and some graphics mods gives it good life even today in my opinion.

HL2 was better though

I liked Doom 3. It was really fun and one of the greatest looking games I'd seen. The lighting effects in that game remain some of the best even to this day

assuming you played original doom 3 without the flashlight mod, it can get a bit dark but it's not that big of a deal.

I think it's bogged down by obtuse level design and over-reliance on cutscenes and audio logs, but it tried to be horror-themed slow paced FPS with good ambiance and certainly did its job in that regard.

The flashlight switching killed the game. I'm sure it's been removed in some mods, anyone played it with flashlight you can have on without switching away your weapons?

Doom 3 isn't a good Doom game, but it's a great game. It's worse at being Doom than NuDoom, but better at being a good game than NuDoom.

Flashlight switching wasn't that bad, and it did add tension to exploration.

It didn't add tension, it added tedium. The monster spawns were nearly alays done so that you'd have your flashlight out in a dark area when an enemy spawns behind you or beside you and gets the first hit in before you can retaliate due to the switching..

There was one mod where you had a flashlight on your handgun and rifle only, so it got you a nice middle-ground where you're not walking around basically defenseless but you're still using something less than ideal most of the time.
Flashlight all the time kinda ruins the atmosphere which is pretty much the best thing in DOOM3

That's about the size of it.

Doom 4 was the most fun I had with any doom game.

come at me, autismonerds

>SEASON PASS REMOVED
>DLC CANCELLED

I want to play Doom 3 with it looking like that second picture.

No, it's not like that at all.

The Season Pass was multiplayer DLC only.

You think they'd continue thes tory without charging a new 60 bucks for DOOM 2 (5)?

Don't know what game you played buddy, but it most definitely added tension rather than tedium. And monster spawns, while a few were behind you, were designed around the flashlight mechanic. I never seemed to have the trouble you did, maybe you're not good?

Doom 3 is like proto Bioshock but without any of the creativity.

I was trying to remember how the demons in Doom 3 looked like so I decided to look it up.
Jesus fucking christ
I guess good job making literal hellspawns look as bland as possible.

Bethesda really shot the whole thing in the foot by not cutting the shit and calling it doom 4. And I do bet they're retarded enough to call the sequel doom 2.

Now go back and play Perfected Doom 3 mod. You can dual-wield double barrel shotguns and everything has like, 4 different ways to shoot. And grab the More Monsters pack if you want it hard, unless you're a baby boi.

Perfected would have been good if not for several things

Y'know what? I'll give you the first and third one, but never had an issue with weapons crashing my game. Now if you download some of the addons from ModDB, oohhhhh yeah you're in for a crash or 20.

The most recurring one is when I use the plasma flamethrower attack on the plasmagun, it starts with some sort of PiP bug but if I continue using it it will crash sooner or later, anything with loads of particle effects in general will end up crashing.

It was bad, but enjoyable. I replayed it halfway a few months ago. It's easy, the flashlight was a mistake, the grey demons ( ) are hideous and the level design is nothing but long corridors. Still, despite it's numerous faults, I had fun. But it's too boring to be played through in one sitting and not interesting enough to boot it up again later.

Recommend some good mods to fix that.

I take it you didn't play the game. Yes, absent of lighting the monsters don't look all too bright and flashy.

Nigger those models are as lit as they can be. They are straight up textured grey.
Does being a Doom 3 apologist make you severely brain damaged or is that a requirement for liking this turd in the first place?

See this is how I know you're a dumb faggot, since you assume that the Doom 3 lighting system is just "lit or not lit".
Play the game before you talk shit faggot

fucking dump the models in Maya and see the textures for yourself
Actually nevermind, you're probably too handicapped to do that.

keep living in denial

I mean I'm not the guy claiming a game that was and still is praised first and foremost for its handling of lighting has bland hellspawns, especially when you didn't even list shit like Pinky, the Cyberdemon or Seargent Kelly, which make you look like a fuckwit. But hey, by all means, go ahead and recolour these to look better. It should be easy.

I can't quite think up a FPS game where I liked the boss designs. It's usually either some shitty trial and error puzzle or circlestrafing and unloading all your ammo into a big bullet sponge.

It's an interesting problem FPS games have. Bullet sponges suck. Puzzle bosses always feel out of place. Circle strafing and taking cover gets tedious. There's gotta be a way to make it work.
Anyone have an example of a good FPS bossfight?

Well, there's really only so much you can do. Fighting waves of standard NPCs is pretty underwhelming, vehicles like helicopters or tanks are a just a hybrid of puzzle and bullet sponge bosses (find a weapon that can damage them, then just keep firing), and QTEs are just cancer.

Maybe have the boss mirror the player in mobility and damage, sort of like a bot for multiplayer?

That would be a good option, though combat would then need to have a level of engagement where the player and boss could display skill. A CoD boss that has similar movement abilities would be interesting but ultimately lacking if he dies just as easy as any other enemy. I did like how you finally kill Makarov after slogging through hordes of men and having so much chaos, but that sequence is certainly no challenge.
Going back to Doom, the best fights were where enemies put pressure on you and you'd need to utilise your full arsenal and manoeuvrability to succeed, the Spider Demon and Cyber Demon both never really satisfy that for me because they just stomp around, eat damage and shit damage back at you until they die. An enemy that moved and fought like Doomguy would be fucking terrifying but also awesome given how destructive your arsenals are.

Play PB and go to the Wolf3D levels, you're in for a surprise.

OP here. Out of the house, so that's why my ID changed.

Nope, no mods applied. Figured that if I was going to play this (At least once), might as well play it the way it was intended (Though I did up the difficulty).

The audio logs were a bit much, but the cutscenes were very little. After the first three levels, there's only a 15 second cutscene at the start of every three levels and at the start of every new boss (So amounting to a very small portion of the title). Everything else is handled in the gameplay, and I very much liked the hands off approach of it.

Considering how you can use the same three tactics throughout the entire game, and still have it keep tension (Until you enter Hell), I'm willing to bet that.

There was the final boss in F.3.A.R. (See pic) which was a step right direction of making a FPS boss best summarized at "Look at Star Fox and take inspiration from that", but no one ever wants to mention, or even acknowledge, that game because of a other reasons (Which, personally, I find to be a bit petty. Notice I didn't say unjustified, I just said petty.)

I thought the first encounter of the Mancubus was the best boss fight in the game because of how restricted the area was, the fact that you couldn't get a direct line of sight of the thing and live unless you were a few yards away (And, even then, it could still shoot you as much as you shoot it), and hearing it's constant gurgling and stomping around while searching for ammo and deciding which weapon to use. Although, the fat bastard was still much of a bullet sponge. Actually, unless you had the BFG, the rockets, the grenades, or the shotgun in hand, none of the enemies really reacted to the weapons (Except for the zombies).

Doom3 was pretty good wasn't it?
people talk about nuDoom but I always remembered it instead
plus it was one of the first AAA games to natively be supported on linux
had pretty neat graphics for the time and ran well

They're trying to replace the original Doom. They knew EXACTLY what they were doing when they called it Doom.

People actually think Doom 3 was good?

People defend Doom 3 like this?
I never knew. This is hilarious.

The only hilarious thing here is you nuDoom apologists.

By including actual original doom levels as easter eggs in the game? The publisher probably had that goal in mind but not the dev team. The story, or what little there is of it, is all about being the return of doomguy. Well, "doom marine".

its kinda weird to see anyone defending doom 3 considering how awful it was even at the time.

unironically nuDoom, which is the one actual good thing about it which neither the developers or players are paying enough attention to
bosses attack with clearly telegraphed and dodgable projectile attacks which require you to time jumps and strafes, and many boss attacks are completely different than simple fireballs like fights against normal demons, to the point where it's a shame they're not given how interesting they are

I swear that several attacks are copied right from Ys; the earth rising attack from the Cyberdemon's second form which locks your horizontal movement is ripped from that one mantis boss in Ys Origin, and the rising platforms during the Spider Mastermind fight as the floor becomes lava is not too dissimilar from the rising ice platforms in the final boss of Oath in Felghana

That said the bosses are not built around your weapon arsenal since you will be mostly using the rocket launcher and gauss rifle for max DPS, they are too easy because your health and ammo are completely refilled halfway through the fight, and there's only three bosses in the game and all of them locked off to the second half of the game instead of being sprinkled all around

As far as the 'step in the right direction' meme concerns whenever nuDoom is brought up, I can only agree that on the boss fights for actually challenging your movement in ways similar to the Japanese games of old

I'd also mention the Metroid Prime series for having good bosses, but the Metroid Prime games are far removed from your traditional FPS

From what i remember, the complaints wasn't necessarily that the game is too dark, but that you couldn't have the flashlight out with the gun at the same time.

Yeah those lights don't match the lighting in Doom 3. The models were designed specifically around the lighting, this is also why it's so fucking dark in the game.

shotgun 1-shots most of the enemies in the game if you're close
many enemies' attacks provide lighting (imp fireballs, gunfire, helmets and eyes give off lighting), enemies react slower if you don't use the flash light
You mean like in doom 1?
90% optional and very easy to figure out
It's a different game from doom 1/2, god forbid them for trying something new…

I always had the impression that Doom3 got faster in the last levels

That ending was so shitty that DooM 2 better have a 30 hours campaing with at least 15 boss fights

7/10 was only "average" because reviewers used an artificially inflated ratings system so games would have higher numbers and publishers would be happy. It had nothing to do with high standards and everything to do with a lack of integrity.

In a directly numbered sequel? Yes, forbid them for trying something new. If you make a sequel, especially to a series that hasn't had a game in 10 years (7 if you count 64 as part of it), you make it about what people liked and fell in love with about that series. If you want to make something different, you use a new/different IP, or at least don't directly number the game after the last one.

You gotta admit that is one bitchin sword. Better be able to use it in the next DOOM

It wasn't a sequel, though. Since the beginning of development, Carmack planned the game out as a Doom remake.
as our next project after Q3.
archive.fo/zR3ap
web.archive.org/web/20040104211139/http://finger.planetquake.com/plan.asp?userid=johnc&id=14425
>IGNPC: The game is more of a methodical shooter, yes? That was the plan from the start?
>Todd: Yeah we did that for a couple of different reasons. One is that a really twitchy arcade style action shooter doesn't really lend itself well to being able to tell the story and have the story drive the gameplay as you go forward. The story more becomes a crux that's sort of bolted onto what the experience is. But that's not the way things work in DOOM 3. The story is a fundamental part of the game as you move through it.
archive.fo/UJhoh
please use archive.ism/articles/2004/07/22/doom-3-interview?page=2

Also, given what little I've played of the original Doom, there are "horror" elements in the game as early as the second level (From the shift in music tone to some of the incredibly dark areas). So, that leads me to assume that what the public "saw" in the game and what the developers (Even the original developer) "saw" were as different as night and day.

It's ok to just say you hate Doom, fag.

It's actually slightly more gay than Kylo Ren's. Kudos.

Doom 3's story can be entirely negated if the Marines has just done the sensible thing and unleashed a legion of those 4 legged spiderbots with chainguns.

There's a pda entry that says some of them were going haywire because of hell.

The hellknight screenshot is literally a screenshot from the game with your light shining on it
Fuck off with your delusion