ITT: Post well optimized Video Games

Post technically,visually impressive video games, or well optimized games in general, post'em. If you have some interesting trivia regarding the game to share, i'd be interested in that as well.

Other urls found in this thread:

grenouille-bouillie.blogspot.com/2007/10/dawn-of-3d-games.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

No need to thank me.

Old Rareware games were pretty damn impressive considering the hardware they were on. They used to be the only people capable of making a NES game with zero flickering.

Soundtracks aren't games, user.

you forgot Iwatas Programming Magic and other developers, for sure

Scud Race was best looking racing game from 1996 to at least 1999. The game does a lot graphical features that were very uncommon at the time with lighting, texture details, and other visual effects that are common now,

I don't consider Balloon Fight more technically impressive than Captain Skyhawk or Slalom, even if it's probably the better game.

Here some gameplay videos of this masterpiece of a game. Also the game is running at 60 fps at resolution only sightly lower than 640x480 since it's a arcade game.

Also sorry for the accident bait flag on the other post.

hey, i actually know an arcade in my city that has the game, along with Daytona 2,Sega Rally, Silent Scope, and some other games. Will try out Scud Race next time i visit.

I forgot

Question, is it possible to mod high definition graphics into Sonic Mania or other modern pixelated games. As of now, I think this game sets the bar for pixelated graphics and animation of the modern age.

Sonic Mania is just downscaled stuff

When from DMC3 which is one of the worst PC ports ever, to Vanilla DMC4 which is one of the best optimized PC games there is, You can probably get any Computer/Laptop from 2008 to now and the game will run with a perfect 60fps. Shame they messed with the engine, and made DMC4 Special edition no were near as well Optimized.

So what happens if increase the size of sprite sheets and replace them with more high def sprites? Would the game still detect it? I know rom games are more complex but what about modern sprite games?

The only bar that's being set here is your tolerance for cynical nostalgiafag cash grabs.

There's probably a workaround yes

And you had people defending it, as well.

I'm pretty sure the special edition was outsourced.

Half-Life 2 was DX9 game, but it was retro compatible down to DX6.

Apparently the only reason DMC4SE's requirements are higher is they didn't have any old machines to test it, I think some people have reported it working while under the minimum requirements.

It's not about the listed requirements. It straight up runs worse. I know, because I used to have a shitty laptop that DMC4 ran perfectly fine on, but SE had framerate issues, which also had the effect of making the motion blur they added make everything exceptionally blurry if the camera moved even a little.

That's pretty bad then.

REmake on the Gamecube and with a CRT. The HD Remaster really doesn't do that game justice.

Can't you just turn off the blur? Who plays with motion blur anyway? I want to play DMC4 again and the extra content would justify it, otherwise I probably wonI also have a shit PC

grenouille-bouillie.blogspot.com/2007/10/dawn-of-3d-games.html

Look, no multiplication.

Phantom Pain was a fantastic port.

Mirror's edge runs on toasters these days, and the environments (specifically the lighting & bloom) look beautiful. Unreal engine 3 games in general give the most performace/calculation on semi-old hardware. I'd really like to know how DICE managed to modify the lighting engine.

If Treasure, SNK and old Sonic 1-3 devs teamed up to make a real Sonic 4, Taxman would easily be out of a job.
God damn what a game that would be.

Dead Space 1&2 run on everything now and they look as good as a current gen game to me

Everygame because i don't own a toaster, git gud poorfags hahahaha

a damn fine game engine even if you redditors will never accept your phantom pain.

Redditor doesn't mean people you don't like.

I know but only kids form Reddit hate on MGSV on account of a intentional design decision.

One of the more subtle details in Gimmick exists on the second level, the one with the pirate ship. The little birds in the background as you approach the ship or fall off the front. They have a subtle sound effect to them when they're on screen.
What kind of madman gives up precious sound chip real estate for the sake of adding sound effects to background decorations in an NES game?
1:36 and 3:44 in the embed.

Those games ran flawlessly on an HD 4850, they definitely have always been easy to run, though some of that is due to being a console port so the bar they were aiming for was low.

Some demos in the demoscene give me chills just looking at them.
Starstruck released on the Amiga AGA (released in 1992) blows my mind on how impressive old hardware can run.

Just Cause 2 is well known, it's still some of the best draw distances you'll ever see and it'll do it on a toaster. pity JC3 was a horrible sluggish piece of shit

Super Mario World 2 is a game that shouldn't actually work on a SNES. The effects and distortions the game somehow accomplishes were thought beyond the system's abilities but there they are, running smoothly.

Bionic Commando on the GBC is to this day one of the most beautifully animated 2D games to ever exist. That they managed to shove it on a GBC is even more astonishing.

That is an amazing engine though. It becomes especially apparent when you use hacks to give yourself super speed and other stupid shit, and the damn thing keeps up with you crossing half the map in 5 seconds.

Wow that's some amazing looking graphics and even clever level design. Mario and Megaman seem overrated in comparison

Metal Gear games on GBC were very smoothly animated too

Yoshis Island is something else. Definitely one of my favorite platformers. Cartridge games cost were actually dictated by the hardware they had to print per game. Today its all arbitrary but a game back then that cost $60 or $80 usually had better chipsets in them. YI in particular had the SuperFX chip in it for the shaders and stuff it did

The only redditor here is you.

well now I know what I'm playing after Shawntey

Warframe isn't quite a toaster game, but it manages to look pleasant and run well on its lower settings. So I guess that's something.

How does JC2 run on AMD cards, I know that Nvidia did a lot of post release optimization on their drivers for JC2, they also did it for Sleeping Dogs.

Ran like a fucking dream on my AMD card.

Fox is used in PES too. Also nipponese gambling machines

That game runs on slavic squatting vodka magic, no science can explain how

Got an AMD card. Runs absolutely smooth.

I should mention this is an extremely rare example of a game optimized on and for consoles.

it's common that most games on consoles which rely on completing tasks cycle to cycle are thoroughly optimized. Stick to modern gaming, you don't seem to know much about old hardware.

The Fox Engine is a technical masterpiece and I hope that Konami starts selling the license one day (even if I know that that won't happen) but you should still consider suicide for liking MGSV and then calling other people Reddit.

That's pretty cool, I would have guessed from the screenshot that it were an original Xbox game.

its no daytona 2.

I feel like doom should have run a whole lot better on a 386 than it did.

Apparently it simply made heavy use of pre-rendered lighting.

Man, I really need to look into what's been done in the demo scene. I used to sorta follow it as a kid, but I'm pretty clueless about a lot of it overall.

See even Reddit agrees

(you) don't fit in yet kiddo

Physics in NES were a big deal, you had a slow ass CPU and you were forced to write your own physics engine. It's something people today take for granted with all these physics engines and CPUs strong enough to make it all happen.

Look at all the platforming games in NES era that sucked because they couldn't get basic physics like jumping right. And then you have games like Balloon Fight, Gimmick, etc doing all sorts of impressive stuff on that hardware.

carmack himself has this to say about the doom code

"I wrote this code a long, long time ago, and there are plenty of things
that seem downright silly in retrospect (using polar coordinates for
clipping comes to mind), but overall it should still be a usefull base
to experiment and build on.

The basic rendering concept – horizontal and vertical lines of constant
Z with fixed light shading per band was dead-on, but the implementation
could be improved dramatically from the original code if it were
revisited. The way the rendering proceded from walls to floors to
sprites could be collapsed into a single front-to-back walk of the bsp
tree to collect information, then draw all the contents of a subsector
on the way back up the tree. It requires treating floors and ceilings
as polygons, rather than just the gaps between walls, and it requires
clipping sprite billboards into subsector fragments, but it would be
The Right Thing.

The movement and line of sight checking against the lines is one of the
bigger misses that I look back on. It is messy code that had some
failure cases, and there was a vastly simpler (and faster) solution
sitting in front of my face. I used the BSP tree for rendering things,
but I didn't realize at the time that it could also be used for
environment testing. Replacing the line of sight test with a bsp line
clip would be pretty easy. Sweeping volumes for movement gets a bit
tougher, and touches on many of the challenges faced in quake / quake2
with edge bevels on polyhedrons."

Remember that "improved dramatically" from Carmack means a different thing to people without hyperautism.

"Visually impressive" and "well optimized" aren't mutual to each other you stupid nigger. Sage for not knowing English.

He means well optimized and visuallly impressive games, meaning games that both look good and run smooth.

Sage because you didn't read the entire op.