Machine Learning Game

Found a really neat game called "Evolution". Despite the name it's actually about designing creatures and then watching them attempt to learn how to walk, jump, or climb stairs (through genetic machine learning algorithms I guess). It's pretty fun for how much it's just watching them flail around and grind their face into the floor.

Protips:

Download from (((itch.io)))
keiwan.itch.io/evolution/download/eyJleHBpcmVzIjoxNTA1NTA5Njc0LCJpZCI6OTEyMDF9.HARYWLjX8iQ42JWK6dsB2oCVxAw=

Post webms of your dumbass creatures

Other urls found in this thread:

keiwan.itch.io/evolution/download/eyJleHBpcmVzIjoxNTA1NTA5Njc0LCJpZCI6OTEyMDF9.HARYWLjX8iQ42JWK6dsB2oCVxAw=
boxcar2d.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

When do they learn to immediately kill shady individuals that say "don't worry about usury"?

Nice try skynet.

>(((evolution)))
when will these shitty commie memes die out?

There is nothing to fear goyim

There was already a game like this but in 3D, it's called 3DVCE or something

That's actual evolution- this is just AI learning to move with creatures you make. Like vid related, but 2D. If someone can find something like this in 3D that would be fucking sweet though.

fuck me

Git gud faget.

Gen 20 at 1:13 is a slut

Git gud faget

How do you get it to show those stats?

Click the little window in the top right after the first generation

Thanks

He looks so happy.

>keiwan.itch.io/evolution/download/eyJleHBpcmVzIjoxNTA1NTA5Njc0LCJpZCI6OTEyMDF9.HARYWLjX8iQ42JWK6dsB2oCVxAw=

You all but a small baby.

Also fuck you all, i wasted 3 hours on this piece of shit. Its hypnotizing as fuck.

Tell a mod to edit it to a normal link.

But what does it look like? Does it have a spinning dong?

Machine Learning games thread?

Well, first you draw a star of david…

oy vey

I gave Donger some longer arms so he can propel himself farther, but now he just keeps lying down like he's given up on life.

Heil Hoitler

Just tried it, holy fuck

Also it seems whole distance is just 800 meters maximum. You can complete it in 10 seconds if you make something retarded.

how do i get good at this shit?

I'm pretty sure it just has problems with infinitely stretching muscles when they're not anchored with a backbone.

It's a start

Let's see if this rocket-ship can learn to walk

Yeah, muscles really fuck up if you do that.

I tried copying the link after the "gib money pls" section but it clearly didn't work.

Since when does Holla Forums play walking simulators?

The original, The best
boxcar2d.com/

Well gave up on the rocket. But the master race is very good at moving. Also how can see all that "fitness" shit?

Thank you. You will be happy to know the Master Race is improving quite well.

from just read this OP this seems like sodaconstructor, but better

i made a septagon out of bones and connected every bone to every other bone with muscles

I guess no matter how smart it gets, the body has limitations.

LOL

Biofag here. There needs to be more evolution simulators.

This is the same principle, except only the brain evolves.

man where does the time go when you stare at this
just look at them goooooooooooo

how do you get the extra information to show up on the left side, if at all?

Cell Lab is much better.

Do a fucking cartwheel you asshole.

It's time?

I wish this game had something beside joints. Everything I make is a floppy jellyfish.

Yeah, something like articulate joints a la shoulder or knee could be a good step :^} forward
Anyway, Gondola is improving, still not coordinate enough to last more then 10m on 2 feets

wheeeeeeee

i finally made something that rolls

It is time

Great, now just speed the footage up and put some background music.

my mecha cheetah just keels over and dies
wat do
i really don't think this is gonna work with anything remotely complicated

Reduce weight.

easier said than done
this is already the bare essentials

Add more muscle

Give it a way to balance itself, like a tail or something.

Pick two

Metal… Gear?!

i think the problem was that it didn't have functioning knees, nothing was stopping it from snapping it's limbs
what i'd really like is to have a more fitness goals though. if i could get it to track distance, but also who was closest to the starting height, we'd probably get further a lot faster
as it is, in theory it might ventually figure out to how to get up, but it could take thousands of generations, or it might not happen at all

The problem is that the criteria for a "successful" generation seems to just be how far it goes. So if falling down is enough to make it travel a decent distance, it won't learn how to walk.

That's not a game you retard.

Yeah, I put together a fairly complex quadruped and cranked up the neural nodes to 240+ (7 layers, 1/32/32/64/32/32/1). Pic related - there are two legs front and back, just overlapping, and for some portions of the limbs there are two to three bones stacked on one another so that I could attach several layers of muscles to the limbs to compensate for the weight of the construction. Ran it for 70+ generations while sleeping last night (100 per 12 second generation, in batches of 10) and it treated falling forward and then slowly pushing the font half/head across the floor as the most "successful".

how is it supposed to extend it's lower legs?
isn't the muscle only able to contract/let gravity do it's work?

In real life, yes. But the muscles in this "game" expand as well.

Yeah, as the other user said, the 'muscles' in this game are more like some kind of elastic/hydraulic hybrid rather than actual muscles, and can push as well as pull.

The game's muscles work like RL muscle pairs, so they can expand or contract.

I created a design based on QWOP. I'm going to let it run while I head out and hope that it runs.

You have too many superfluous parts.

It was more of a test of how far the learning algorithm can go with a more complex structure (several joints in four legs, flexible "spine", multiple muscle connections), rather than just to make something that can get from point A to point B. Considering the 'Frogger' prebuilt model it comes with, it handles a simple hopper reasonably well. Superfluous was the point.

or perhaps this body has more potential, even though it's slower to start

I don't think it's meant for four legs, though I added a flexible spine and it's doing well.

I suggest making the first and second hind bones longer.

They were longer on this one , but it didn't seem to be using them well.

These creations get creepily realistic at times, I'm surprised they don't use this technology for vidya animations.

Literal real-time simulation would probably be too CPU intensive. I guess that's why we have motion capture.

I'd like to see some AI evolved buildings.

It's either a simple machine-like creature made with one purpose in mind only or an intricate autistic imitation of real-life in hope of recreating realistic movement. It saddens me a bit. Have we and nature reached the pinnacle of limb based movement already?

My fucking monstrosities looks like it came out of an episode of Kill La Kill

You could put all the animations tied to a skeleton that you could import and convert to the format of your choosing. basically simply give the skeleton a playground and maybe a baseline animation to work with it and then set it to an optimal number of generations. Also throw in hitboxes for stuff like clipping detection.

Bam, complex animations can be churned out quickly and rapidly.

Yeah, generate the animations beforehand rather than in real-time. Like how they used to use pre-rendered 3D before real 3D was feasible.

That's one of the shortcomings of how the genetic learning seems to work. As soon as the body does something the selection method deems "successful", it will run with that and keep trying to improve on that specific method. So even if you leave the simulation running for like 300 generations the best you'll get is the dumbass creature grinding its face along the ground, because in its first generation the most "successful" movement was rolling forward onto its face (Hey it moved forward!).

I've left a comment for the developer asking if he could add a "keep upright" option for the selection process but no reply yet. I think that would be a really cool addition as it would likely allow complex bipedal humanlike creatures to actually walk.

That's what the mutation rate is supposed to prevent. Maybe it would work better with complex things if you raise it.

What are you even taking about? Mutation rate defines how much of the neural net of the creatures is scrambled each generation. A mutation rate of 100 therefore would never save any successful behaviours, always remaining entirely random each generation. A mutation rate of 0 will never change the behaviour the creatures begin with. That's why it's defaulted to 50%, so they change a decent amount each generation to develop new behaviour while also having a good chance of saving the successful behaviour.

The problem is twofold: the first is that these muscles can contract and PUSH, unlike real muscles.
Muscles contract and RELAX. They don't push on things when they relax; that is the job of the extensor muscles on the opposing side of the flexor muscles.
For instance: the triceps are extensors– they are located on one side of a joint and EXTEND the forearm away from the ulna. The biceps are FLEXORS– they are located on the opposing side of the joint to the triceps. They FLEX the forearm and bring the bones to be (close to) parallel to the ulna.
Second problem: joints have infinite pivot.
The joints here are all hinge joints with no upper limit to their radius of movement.

Honestly, a "keep upright" concept could be easily implemented by the ability to mark individual joints as 'vital', and if a 'vital' joint ever make contact with the ground for a member of the population, that member cannot be considered for the next generation. Meaning, for a quadruped, one could mark all joints used in the head/body as vital, and all runs where the creature plops down rather than remaining on its feet aren't evolved from, regardless of distance traveled.

Not totally sold on the vital joint thing but both of these anons have the right ideas
Something like this can't be hard to code, although I guess I'll start emailing the creator anyways, too lazy