Toaster gaming

Have an old Lenovo Thinkpad laptop with a crappy i5 2.5 Ghz processor, 8GB of RAM and the dreaded integrated graphics card.

I'm going to be doing a lot of travelling / hotels over the next 6 months for work. What are some good games from 2010 onwards I can play on this thing?

Presumably some decent indie titles, although I can (just about) run Starcraft 2 on low settings…does this mean I can run Deus Ex and X Com?

Shovel Knight, LISA, Sonic Mania, anything by Wayforward.

Nice, will check those out.

Care to specify which integrated GPU model you have? Also keep in mind your i5 is a neutered CPU because all portable CPUs are neutered severely, so it's not really an i5.

The Typing of the Dead.
Lets you take advantage of the nice keyboards on most Thinkpads.

Brigador, CrossCode, A2MR, Receiver, Halcyon 6, Momodora: Reverie Under the Moonlight, StarCrawlers

This, as well as all emulators through Saturn, perhaps PS2, including MAME.

Alas, Nesticle runs like a one-legged dog on my 486, and I'm not sure why. 32MB of RAM, 66MHz, 512kB VRAM. Doom runs great, Duke 3D runs kinda' bad.

DOOM
Just pick up wads made after 2010 :^)

Fire Pro Wrestling World.
Runs silky smooth even on a Sandy Bridge Core i3 with Intel integrated graphics and 4 gigs of RAM.

Niggers

I think those old emulators took advantage of features in the Pentiums that are not in the 486s, so they run slower. Even the DX4 100 MHz will have trouble with them.

that's not a toaster faggot.

With that CPU PS2 emulation isn't going to be very playable

Nesticle needs at least 486/100 to run full speed.
Your experience with Doom and Duke3D are also normal 486/66 performance (Build engine games really need a Pentium cpu for decent fps, though they are playable on a 486/100 or above).
You might be able to get Nesticle to run well on your 486/66 if you disable sound emulation, but the only machines you can really emulate properly on a 66 MHz 486 are Atari 2600 and ColecoVision

Nesticle runs fine on a 486/100. Genecyst too, for games that don't use raster effects (mostly racing games - these really need at least a Pentium/90).

Thats not a toaster user. Until 3 years ago I used a Core2Duo with 2G RAM and some shitty GPU with only maybe 256-512MB Vram. I used that computer since 2007 with only an upgrade in disk size.

Appreciated. Back when 486 systems were new, I was borrowing an IBM PS/2 model 60(?), so it was a 25MHz 386 SX, and a dire piece of shit. I had 4MB of RAM, and it was only a couple months before the motherboard failed so hard it would only boot into BASIC. I have a couple shitty Pentium systems, one 60MHz, and I'm not quite sure about the other. Maybe 66MHz. I just dislike the concept of using anything newer than a 486 for DOS work, even though they're much better at it. I guess it comes from aspiring to try out Windows 95 or something.

My current primary system is a Core 2 Quad, formerly a Core 2 Duo, thanks to some hacked-up BIOS made for my board. Not sure if I want to build a new system due to all of the AIDS in new boards and processors. I tend to piss a lot of people off in my professional work, and I don't need some faggot loading bullshit into my system and siccing the feds on me.

I feel you user, my first PC was a 33MHz 386SX clone w/ 2MB of ram in 1993 (when Pentiums were new) - a hand-me-down from my dad's boss. Back then PCs were advancing too fast, so it was an obsolete piece of shit despite it being probably only 4 or 5 years old at most. Feel no nostalgia at all for toasters though. Was really happy when I built myself my first high-end PC - a Pentium II 266MHz w/ 128MB of ram in early 1998.
In this case I'd suggest you try to get hold of an Am5x86/133, which is an AMD-made 133MHz 486 w/ 16KB L1 cache (150 and 166MHz versions also exist but they're extremely rare). Owned one of these babies before the PII and they're pretty decent.
However if you're really into retro gaming PCs, I'd recommend you also build a Pentium MMX/233 machine, since for some of those later DOS games not even an Am5x86/133 really cut it.

You fucking disgrace

send help, Im stuck here playing mostly classics
my only regret is not being able to play cool looking 2D games like Hollow Knight

Christ, this looks worse than the macbook I had in 6th grade.
Hell its worse than my old computer, which only had 1 GB of RAM (maybe 2 or 1.5) and like 200 GB storage, but it had some shitty AMD card that at least had a gig of VRAM so i wasnt completely fucked. and I had that computer through high school. I'm 21 now, for reference.
How the fuck do you do anything with this abomination? Christ user, at least get a used or budget CPU and more importantly
Get a damn graphics card
Sell some shit and buy a used one. I don't care, but seriously get something. This is goddamn pathetic user. Can you even run Warcraft 3 without FPS problems?

I had a better mid-range in 2006 what the fuck user

I didn't even know they made laptops that shitty.

It almost makes me want to give you my 4 year old i5/540GT backup laptop thats been gathering dust in my closet in case my main rig dies out of pity.

What about a good ds emulator for Linux?

nice 90s emulator you turbo faggot

That's from the top of my head. Plenty of good stuff to play

>Not buying pirating some GOG installers and being comfy playing classic games
Fuck off to Facebook

You probably could run everything up to 2010-
kys my man

Desmume just werks.

That's not really a toaster. When I think toaster, I think of my mother's old work computers that were IBM thinkpads from 2002 running windows 2000.

Deus Ex
System Shock 2
Fallout 1
Half Life
Doom 1+2

When I think of toaster I think of one core. If its newer than a Pentium 4, it isn't a toaster.

i tried compiling it but i couldn't get it to, required something I couldn't install for some weird reason

I managed to run Stalker and Fallout 3/New Vegas among other things but yeah, this thing will fall apart any day of the week now.
And then I would probably have to get another laptop, since I dont have the space for a desktop PC.

even if you wanted to you would have to mail it to south america, I could pay for the shipping but I have no idea if it would get detained by the customs system.

not hue sorry

It's interesting how much shit you can get away with on a 2 core system still. I have a pile of parts for a new build but I'm running this into the ground first.

Given the size and weight of the laptop + powerbrick + packing materials you will prolly find a similar specced laptop for the shipping costs in your area.

Pretty much because integrated graphics have come a long way.

At least you have room for a graphics card upgrade

Modded Diablo 2

Look fam, I have a shitty job but need the money to save up for a plan I have. Nothing wrong with that.

Try searching for some with your package manager.

These should all run just fine on your laptop

You can almost certainly get it through your package manager. What's your distro?

You need more Grand Strategy in your life user. Check out the Grand Strategy Games thread here, and thank me later.

You fucking degenerate, kill yourself.

When I think toaster, I think of toast. If it doesn't toast bread it's not a toaster

Can anyone tell me what they did to Minecraft? My toaster used to run huge modpacks a few years ago, and it stayed around 40 fps. I tried to load up Minecraft the other day and got maybe 10fps in vanilla.

Save up for one with an actual graphics card

Binding of Isaac: Rebirth
OpenMW

You clearly don't know what toaster means, with this laptop you can run pretty much every modern game on lowest settings and every old game at mid/high.

does a GeForce 940MX paired with a i5 (I think thats 2.5GHZ) AND 8gb RAM sound decent enough?

I checked a couple of sites and it seems it can even run new stuff on low at 30FPS, not ideal, but good enough for indie games and older titles.

Factorio

Probably be fine for what you assume, it's going to support anything up until the latest DirectX games. I ran up against that wall at a point with an old card that wouldn't do anything post DirectX 7 or something. Should be good to go for shitposting and playing vidya at the same time for the most part.

9, I meant. It's mostly just been eye candy bullshit since then, at least what it's been used for for the most part.

Nigger you know that's not a toaster. Stop humble bragging you hampton homo.