Mass Effect

Playing through the first game, I don't get it, this thing came out on Xbox 360 as well right? why are the game's textures so shitty even on high detail?

Other than that, gameplay is weird, my own accuracy doesn't count, only the one on my stats, every other item is expensive as fuck, character customization is not quite the best but apparently it never was.

Oh, and for some reason the non-human squad mates are kind of cool compared to the humans.

So, do you femshep or maleshep? do you customize or go with default stuff? what's the best class to play as?

Other urls found in this thread:

nexusmods.com/masseffect/mods/1/?
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Shepard

Did we just enter a time warp again?

Wait until you get to the second one. If I were you I'd go ahead and stop after the first. It's just downhill from there.

Unreal Engine coupled with Bioware. It was supposed to be played with that awful film grain effect so you don't notice how bad it looks.

WHERE AM I? WHAT YEAR IS IT?

WHO IS THE PRESIDENT?!

EXPLODING SNIPER RIFLES

Wrex… I mean… uh, I like him.

No, I just went to my backlog.

Wait, the second is worse? I would expect it to get slightly better at least, I have ME2 on my library as well.

The ever present UE loading textures AFTER loading the scene gave it away but man, this game doesn't even use alpha channels for the hair textures.

But user, don't you like the Cinematic Experience?

I wish

fug u mass effect 1 was solid

ME2 is better if you like Gears of War. I thought it was shitty since I couldn't trick out my weapons anymore and I liked the skill system more in the first. Making ludicrous guns is half the fun of the game.

No it wasn't

To be fair, the game is quite interesting for the most part, the combat is bad, but the only alternative in this case would have been a turn based RPG I think.

Something like Freedom Fighters would've worked fine.

Yep. The graphics are an improvement, and maybe the gameplay if you like third person cover shooters I don't, but everything else, the character interaction, missions, equipment options, skills, right down to the level design is considerably worse. So unless you really want more Gear of War in your Mass Effect or really, really want to fuck Tali there isn't much to look forward to.

Weren't a bunch of the textures perpetually stuck in low-res mode and they never patched it for some reason?

IIRC there's some sort of glitch with the PC version where it uses the lowest-quality textures, regardless of what you put the settings to.

I think there's a basic .ini workaround for this though to get the actual textures. But even then, it has shitty texture pop-in problems.

Seems like it, I am no expert developer but I can't believe this game has almost no way of making them look better.

Shepard

proofs ?

The sequels are theme park versions of ME1. More "polished" gallery shooting experiences, but at the cost of so much.
And honestly, I don't get why people say ME1's combat sucks. The different classes all have cool tech/biotic powers that allow you to do cool stuff to your enemies.

This stuff was totally gimped in the sequels, because none of the special abilities do anything unless the enemies have no barriers/shields. And the various abilities in ME2/3 are basically just glorified pokemon, where you use X type of power against Y type of shield, and all the animations are just window dressing. I can't stand playing the sequels unless it's as vanguard, because at least then you can zip around the stage slamming into people.

Speaking of which, what class is better for ME1 considering you have to balance out with your crew members?

Mass Effect 2, despite being dumbed down, is probably the last game Bioware ever made that wasn't complete shit.

Soldier, and always have someone with the biotic lift ability, you turn enemies into helpless pinatas

ME2 was the inflection point. It was that split second on the roller coaster where you catch some air before crashing down. The point where you could see where things were heading, but it hadn't gotten bad yet.

Pretty much any class is viable. I like to play as vanguard, completely disregarding cover and running around shotgunning enemies in the face while I have them floating in the air with biotics.

As for balancing your crew members, I just make sure I have a tech expert as well. My team would usually be something like Wrex + Tali

I see, time to redo some stuff.

Why? Would you really want to live through all these shitty years again?

Don't listen to people about ME2 user, it's a good installment in the series and worth playing.
The only objective downgrades in 2 from 1 are the equipment, but in some ways I think it's a step up.
Instead of hoping you get lucky with a merchant having what you want or getting a lucky drop, your equipment is standardized and you buy and research upgrades for your armor and weapons.

I actually quite like the combat, or at least in comparison to the sequels.

Welcome to 2007. The textures were completely up to the standards of the day. Protip: you don't need to hit enter twice after every fucking sentence.

I keep forgetting to just use periods and spaces in certain paragraphs, sorry.

There's a mod which fixes the textures
nexusmods.com/masseffect/mods/1/?

Wait until you get to ME3. They didn't even try to make a proper PC version.
ME2 is still the best looking game from the trilogy.

for me personally 2007-2009 were best years, I also had high hopes for vidia and my life. But as we all know it by now, the decay started in 2007, but wasnt noticable at first.

Don't listen to this cuck user, Ass Defect is pure shit

It started in 2004, you were just a stupid kid who didn't notice how shit things had gotten by 2007.

how can 2004 even compete ?

Wrong, 08/09 is when the decline really started.

Sweet.

I liked masseffect. What a waste of a good series. The setting was turning out to be interesting and the reapers seemed really mysterious. Maybe they wrote themselves into a corner with them but the old reason they did what did way way more intetesting.

Nope, that's when it became obvious it was on a decline, if not earlier in 2007. Stop being underage.

what was the old reason? they havent said anything but some cryptic shit

Do the PC versions have any mods that fix the textures or add skins or anything?

Read the thread, you'll find what you are looking for.

Something like mass effect fields were hastening the end of the univers and collapsing suns and shit. The reapers would let civilizations go on for so far and if they didnt figure out how to stop it they would wipe them outso they didnt make it worse. I think talis mission in ME2 talks about how the sun is dying near this world. She is onbut shouldnt be because its way to young. Something along those lines. Keeps them a mystery but gives them a reason to do what they do, sorta.

The XB360 wasn't really that great. The graphics are on-par with similar games released in that area and on that console. There are some mods for the PC version that include high-resolution texture packs.
Yes, character customization sucks ass. It was never good. Unless you want to play as a mutant, you're pretty much stuck with the default.
The best classes in my opinion were infiltrator and sentinel. This is especially true in the second game, which I assume you'll go on to play. ME2 is shitty as an RPG, but despite the hate it gets it's a competent cover shooter/action game. The plot makes no sense in the overall trilogy storyline but if you treat it as a standalone title it's not that bad. It has a really good ending sequence where you have to pick and choose squadmates to fulfill different roles in a suicide mission.
ME3 is hot garbage from start to finish. I would only recommend playing it if you want to see just how shit Bioware has become.

You mean
ME2 did have a pretty great opening, but it's a shame Shepard didn't stay dead so Mordin could become the protagonist.

The "year everything went to shit" keeps moving forward as younger anons start posting. Pro tip: The decline began before the 7th generation.

Op, did you fall for the "ME1 is good" meme?

The casualising started far earlier.

The entire series is riddled with faults, but like many games post-2005 it's a great concept marred by horrible execution. Mass Effect 1 introduced a great universe, with interesting characters, but had shit gunplay, level design and inventory management. Despite these faults it's still better than most games released in the past 10 years. This era has been truly shit for games, to the point where poster children for wasted potential are still among the least-worst titles we've had access to.

Wow, what an achievement.

It runs on the same engine they used for KOTOR and whatnot, of course it looks dated. Still I think the aesthetics are good, they are the best in ME2, they shit the bed with ME3 but ME3 is technically an abortion so everything about that game is bad.

If anything counter strike was harder than half-life.

Counter Strike isn't casual.

Personally I think it's a great game. You have to judge it by its time period though. A lot of people shit on ME1 for being clunky and having bad gameplay compared to modern games, but you have to remember that this was made in 2007. As far as WRPGs made in the mid 2000s, it's actually quite well-made. Think of it more like KOTOR but with real-time combat.

And while many features (such as the side quest planets) fell flat, I appreciate the fact that they actually tried something new.

Jesus fucking Chirst, it feels like I've gone back in time to cuckchan.

Now that's a good fucking joke.

even tough i plays just like KOTOR with TPS instead of turn base combat the game runs on unreal engine 3

Well it is. If you're saying ME isn't an RPG, then you're saying KOTOR isn't either.

Oh no, that would be a grave sin, kotor is known for being one of the best and genre defining rpgs out there.
I mean, sometimes you get to say good-neutral-evil, if that's not an rpg what is?

All of you who say that's not okay but played these games, neck your fucking selves. I completely agree with the rest of OPs post but there are two very beloved games that did the exact same shit.

Which of your stats does STALKER use?

You were duped, user. ME1 was a shit game, and so is every game made by BioWare.

The game's difficulty is a big factor (I'm not shitting you, harder difficulty = better accuracy), then you also have factors like where you're standing, suppressing fire being volleyed at you, whether or not you're crouching, a laundry list of things that have absolutely fucking nothing to do with accuracy. Its a fact that an AK-74 can be a rusted piece of shit and still hit a two or three inch circle at 50 meters. In this game you'll be lucky to hit the fat side of a cow at 20. Its obvious the devs didn't know anything about ballistics and hid that behind "RPG mechanics."

So you're saying KOTOR is not an RPG?

Yeah.

How is it not an RPG?

It's a bug exclusive to the PC version that can't be fixed.

Because few barely meaningful stats and "choices" that don't really matter hardly make an rpg.

KOTOR and ME isn't an RPG because there is no role to play. You're a linear character stuck in a linear path with barely branching choices. When you enter a room you can either get through it by Force Persuading or convincing everyone to let you through or just killing them, but in the end the result is the exact same, all you did was get through the room with some bullshit "alignment" point changes. KOTOR is an RPG in the same sense that JRPGs are, which is not at all. If you're controlling an already fleshed out character with a predetermined path and ending, you are not playing your own role, you're playing someone else's character. Why is this so hard to understand?

Yes, it's an RPG.

ME2 is more polished but also more shallow.

No, it's a shitty third person shooter with chest high obstacles and bars you dump points into that ultimately do fuckall.

They're both shallow games. There is no depth to any facet of ME.

But why?

Who would take someone this fucking shit seriously?

I asked which stat of your character. None?

Mass Effect 1 is pretty much unfinished and was made to be as generic as possible. Due to holdups dring development the lead writer had two fll year for worldbuilding,so he dumped it into codex. It's an absolute slog to play through, but I enjoy it anyway.

If the textures bother you, there is a mod for that. (nexusmods.com/masseffect/mods/1) There is also ALOT for ME2 and 3, the second one looks fine due to the way they use lighting, but the third one looks like absolute shit without the textures.

If you like reading long science fiction passages about how shit works and care little about gameplay, then ME1 is for you. If you like self-contained space adventures with a cool crew and corny one-liners, then ME2 is for you. If you like constant drama and everyone being sad then ME3 is for you. If you ate glue as a toddler try Andromeda.

That's a funny way of saying, "You don't have an inventory anymore."

Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it isn't an RPG. This is an alarmingly common sentiment on nu/v/. There have been bad RPGs in the past. There will be more in the future.
That's why I said it's "more shallow" and not just "shallow."

Pinning a concrete decline on a single specific year is simplistic to the point of stupidity. "2007" is literally a meme. The trends and forces that lead to shit vidya are numerous, complex, and probably not well-understood by anyone.

ME1 is the only game in the series that understands its setting and uses it well. I think that's what people are getting at when they praise it in comparison to its sequels.

Morrowind did accuracy much worse. It's frustrating to see your weapon model hit the enemy, yet nothing happen. That's why real-time vidya RPGs that have accuracy stats are really only bearable with guns; you can see how wide your reticule is, and the bullet's path, and the game's actions don't contradict what's happening on-screen.

To fug the asari, probably.

Well that's a low fucking bar.

You don't really need an inventory even in the first ME. It's just filled with the same fucking gun over and over again (and since there is no durability system you just scrap those as soon as they appear). All of the guns also behaved the same. You could change it with gun mods, but why put that in if you could make different guns?
I don't like the gun mod system of ME3, but it was a signifcant improvement over the first game. A shame that they borowed ME1's "buy every gun ten fucking times, each time with a slight bonus to stats" mentality.

You can fug her as anyone, but if you play as a girl then you can't fug any of the other girls.

Don't forget most anime got bad around that time too. The since a season or two after Haruhi we've been stuck in a LN hell with shit shows because production is cheap because of computers and filipino labor.

Good thing Haruhi was quality.

I meant that a girl-girl scene might be the reason for some people.

Anime was never good. Japs are incapable of writing good stories. That's why their best stuff is fantasy or sci-fi; they have to use it as a crutch.

That still doesn't make ME an RPG.

Suck a cock. I'd tell you to fuck off to BSN but you faggots got so cancerous not even BioWare wanted you around.

When was the year when pretty much everything besides shounenshit transitioned to 12 episode seasons?

Did I hit a nerve?

seeing as how ME1 had one of the worst inventory systems in any game I've ever played, I don't see the problem here

BioWare made a bad habit of throwing out elements and mechanics, rather than doing the hard work of revising and improving them.

Tbh most AAA shitdevs have been doing that. You wanna look at zenimax's shit?

You don't know just how much shit was flung on the bioware forums because of that. It seemed like 90% of their fanbase at the time (Almost assuredly 100% now) were incapable of understanding an antagonist having a motive beyond 'rawr we're evil'. Same reason they went full bore 'Everyone's indoctrinated!' on Cerberus in 3.

It's just for edgy teens :^)

'Cause it's a KOTOR mod.
Seriously play KOTOR on PC with mod to crank up the resolution to modern one and compare, even some of the assets are the same.

that's pretty damn good.

I think what really confuses people who try out the first Mass Effect nowadays is it's not really beloved because it was actually a good game. In terms of gameplay Mass Effect was VERY clunky. What people really like about the first game was the good characters and world building. They also like the huge potential the series had. It's definitely lost a lot of its luster with it's exponentially worse follow-ups.

If you come at the first game with a Star Trek frame of mind, it's pretty damn enjoyable.

If you're not enjoying the world or the characters, especially Wrex or Garrus, just immediately drop the game and move on.

BioWare chose said audience. Now they can swim in the sea of feces they summoned.

Which are highly generic. ME is babby's first sci-fi, and the only people that actually get attached to it are the faggots that never read a science fiction book in their lives. It's impressive only if you are a normalfag that has never interacted with science fiction beyond watching Star Wars.

Star Trek is filth on every level imaginable.

I played BioWare games before, so revisting the same characters with the same character arcs is pointless.

I know it's cool to be a contrarian about everything on Holla Forums but I can honestly say I've never seen this level of autistic fit over an entire genre before

I'm sorry the fact ME is shit upsets you. I'm sure you'll eventually learn to live with it. Either that or cuck yourself again and buy the next dumpster fire BioWare shits out in the franchise.

Sci-fi vidya in general usually have boring, inconsistent settings. Mass Effect was better than average in that regard.
Obviously it doesn't hold a candle to sci-fi books as a whole, but that's not really a fair comparison.

I didn't say it wasn't consistent, I said it was painfully generic and pretty much hitting every cliche in the book. And, okay, plenty of games do that already, but most of those games don't get hailed as masterpieces for the ages. On top of that the plot is still the same stale BioWare story about an ancient evil awakening to end all life and you being the only person that could possibly stop it.

The moment I saw sexually promiscuous blue aliens I knew the plot was going nowhere interesting. And whatever interesting things they did include in the game are relegated to text entries, so you can have fun getting cucked out of all the good shit while you wallow in the terrible storytelling and cookie-cutter party members.

Everyone had free volition, but no one has absolute free will or else everything would be even worse than it is.
I could never understand atheists' attempt to rationalize their nihilistic worldview when rationalization doesn't have meaning and definition no longer has definition since everything is subjective.

Reminder: webm related is what godlessness gives you
God superintends all things, true, but He didn't put the kid in a dress. You did.

Yeah, I think it's fair to say that anyone calling Mass Effect a masterpiece is looking at it very uncritically.

It might just be an user that's true slowpoke or it's an user that just hopped over from cuckchan

I'll admit that I only bought ME2 to shoot giant cyborg spaceships (which never happened) and impregnate Tali. Everything else was irrelevant to me.

How does that work when God knows what you have and will do at any moment in time? This either means there is no freedom to speak of, since whatever you do on this Earth is already known beforehand by God, or that good is not omniscient, and therefore not omnipotent.

That has nothing to do with the Christian claim that God is omniscient yet we somehow still have free will.

Which will make more sense to you when you realize the writer responsible for those things along with the atmosphere left Bioware halfway through the development of the first game

There is a mod where you can fug Ashley as female and is not just a "pretend I am a man" thing, apparently it was removed from the final release.

Isn't she a christcuck?

You mean a tranny? well, it was revealed or something in ME3, not sure myself since I am just playing the games now but it was kind of a meme when ME3 was released, or what do you mean?

Ashley's not a tranny. She's religious; that's what he was saying.

Oh… I didn't know.

I don't get it, why do I have untrained weapons equipped if I will never be able to use them properly? they overheat anyway so is not like you can run out of ammo.

After 999 mods and 666 hours of tampering with and this is the best I could come up with, I still can't believe I can't even get rid of those useless weapons in my back, having them just triggers my OCD.

good choice, but focus more on shotguns

Is not like there us much of a choice.

Case in point. They don't even know the origins. I want to see you all peacetrucked.

Look at these faggots that infest gaming now. Along with their queer secondhands. When it started to hit PC gaming it was all over. I even saw it turn otherwise operators into frothing BR-tier faggots.

Video games died before most of you even heard of gamespy, planet* sites and SA was even formed. The long arm of proper vidya lives with me and my children.

Fixed.

Same thread?

There are certain periods of time where everything just goes so wrong, it's happened before, but 2007 is the most recent year where shit just went downhill very fast

Not really, but then again in the early days of the internet there was some inkling that someday we'd reach these massive cuck levels of shit and censoring, once an industry starts getting flooded with women, you know it's reaching the end