RTS games AI

The golden age of RTS games (98-2006) was golden for everything except the complete lack of AI functioning though most of the games in that era

-In most cases the devs just made the harder modes just rush you or straight cheat instead of actually scripting a better AI

Worse cases of this are Age of Mythology and starwars empire at war

-And at the other end were the AIs that straight up stop functioning halfway through a game

IE: The Battle for Middle-earth and AOE3

ok

Here's a comparison of AoE2 AoC AI versus the AoE2 HD AI.

This tbh fam
/thread

SupCom tho ;3

May be better than the older AI but when it still makes retarded decisions and spam only one kind of unit it's still not a good AI.

Holy shit that was the worst. It wasn't even that hard to beat, just super fucking obnoxious.

AI isn't designed to beat the player. Thats a bad feeling. Its designed tobdelay and challenge the player and ultimately lose.

A good exam is Civ V. The will almost always lose unless you're retarded. You're a science civ and there are science civs? WELL LETS ALL VOTE AGAINST SCIENCE FUNDING SINCE ITLL MAKE THE GAME LONGER

Unless it's Warlord Ghandi :^)

My biggest problem with Thrawns Revenge is that the AI isn't challenging, enough ISDmk2's will solve anything, it's how bloody obnoxious it is.
Republic at War, now THAT is a hard mod
I can't wait to get good at the game again so that I jump back in to the mod without getting raped

Check Grey Goo, you can change the AI behavior like agressive, defensive or others in skirmish play.

I have autism and have to replay RTS at the hardest difficulty. It's actually satisfying once you figure out how to deal with that seemingly impossible mission by either cheesing AI or doing the optimal strategy. In one AoM mission where the enemy rushed you hard, I built a fleet of ships in a tiny lake there just for scenery and retreated my heroes and villagers there and made a base so the ships served as strong unreachable towers.
BFME was really fucking bad as orc, the enemy rushed you with upgraded trained troops and orc are complete and total ass and have no upgrades, mumakil and trolls were cut down like butter by trained fire archers. You had to spam the fuck out of men of rhun and bring troops from previous missions to not get crushed right at the start.
The map where you had to drive into a heavily defended base to intercept artillery in AoE3 War Chiefs was the worst, I decided to quit right there because that campaign was pretty shitty and that was the last drop.

Think about what you just said as you stare into the corner.

Omnipresent AI is probably the worst thing in RTS's.

CoH 1 skirmish AI was like that. You could have a camouflaged sniper that your opponent shouldn't even know exists yet scouting around or just standing in bumfuck nowhere on its own and they will drop artillery on it with pinpoint accuracy at random.

COH 2 was worse for it

I don't recall it being that badly received.

If it was bad it would have at least been memorable. The biggest problem with it is that it was just boring

It was ok on launch, but the devs were thirsty as fuck for the esports dick so they kept patching it to make it more like SC2 and it died.

Actually the launch was terrible. The multiplayer community died once the C&C3 autists began to swarm everything demanding for SC mechanics which killed the forums, the game itself was broken on launch and wasn't patched for months despite of game-crashing bugs, the actual expansion that happend later on din't even get to revive the game because everyone was already disinterested with the initial introduction being that horrible.

I actually feel bad for petroglyph, they actually tried to make something different than the rest of the devs with all the mechanics introduced and the polarization of the three races, even if the gameplay did end up resembling SC in some ways. At least they aren't dying due to 8bit armies and all its sequels, which is a good thing i guess.

If you're going to whine about AI in RTS games you should do so in terms of what programming that sort of AI entails. It's not an easy task and there are only so many ways it can be done.

I mean i've gone and programmed AI for older games where i've been able to like WBC3

fucking kirovs

I'm pretty sure Yuri has the best AA. Full powered Gatling guns not good enough?

8bit armies gamenight when

Kirovs have ridiculous hp and gattlings take a while to build up speed.
Then they lack any sort of aoe and the hard AI bunches up the 3 kirovs.

Never ever