Ds3 Alternatives (Ps3 Controller Thread)

Hi Holla Forums I have a dilemma,

Turns out Sony discreetly killed off the Ds3 with no warning, so if you want a new controller you either have to pay upwards of $60-80 for new 'old stock' (if you can even find a legit Sony one,) test your luck with a 3rd party controller, deal with the gook bootlegs, or use a Ds4 and render 75% of your library unplayable.

I am aware that the Ds2 is essentially the Ds3 without the triggers, and that there are adapters, but without those triggers it's not the same, especially for games like GT6.

My question to you is, are there any third party controllers worth a damn? Will I ever be able to put another 100+ hours into my nippon racing games?

Sell your ps3, its useless.

Underrated post.

Sell your life, it's useless

Shameless bump

Just get a DS4. It's a good controller.

Heh, good one kid, I will kill you last.

Get a used one

DS4 is trash compared to DS3, DS3 is probably the best controller of all time. DS4 has a fraction of the battery life of the DS3 and it's LED made me die of cancer. I'm now dead because of the DS4 and these are just facts.

It has a shit dpad like all other modern controllers and has a garbage layout. Kill yourself. The DS3 is trash.

The third-party controllers are almost always worse than the real thing. Just buy a used DS3 while they're still cheap.

D-pads serve no purpose in the modern age outside of menu navigation or being used as the equivalent of on/off switches for random in game utilities, and the button layout (unlike your penis) is more than adequate. Also, I can't kill myself because I'm already dead from the enormous case of faggot AIDs I got from touching a DS4 and XBox 360 controller at the same time.

Hmm, the guy I bought a new DS3 off of is no longer on eBay, but the one I got was legit. Shame, I would have bought more. At least the batteries for the DS3 and DS4 are compatible with each other.

Jesus Christ I knew this thread was shit but this just made my eyes gouge out

d-pads are essential for genres which controllers excel at.

The steam controller is possibly the best controller I've ever used. Not even kidding, works for every single genre.

go away valve.

Why would you need a d-pad when you have the capacitive alternative that works like a d-pad but with 9 inputs?

Because he's the type of nigger that insists on still using a CRT for his gaming needs. AKA, a hipster faggot.

Nigger you disable the LED and it lasts a lot longer, even more if the games you`re playing don`t use rumbling.
And it fully charges in like 20 minutes wtf.
That touchscreen in the middle that can act as the mouse and the fact that it uses fully customizable software to managa multiple layouts and configurations make it the best controller for PC.

lol look at this pleb

Why would you need buttons when you have a touchscreen? :^)

But they are buttons
Have you even used it or a you just shitposting

now now, everyone knows crt is a meme and no one ever used them, lcds were the most common display when you were born, and they were the most common before then too.

because a d-pad is more than just 4 buttons but a pad mechanism which relies on the tactile feel of the pad itself, the rocking of the pad and its internal mechanism and its best benefit is extremely precise inputs that a vague haptic feedback pad can't emulate in the slightest.

The fuck do you even need a d-pad for?
Fighting games?

Nigger get a fight stick

I was born in 84. I grew up being forced to play shitty NES and SNES games on shit quality televisions. Anyone that says those old shitty consoles/games and televisions are great are blinded by nostalgia.

lol poorfag

fighting games, platformers, puzzle games, top down action games, STGs, it's a very handy tool. I have a fight stick but its in need of a few repairs, controllers are just as good.

now the real deprecated piece of equipment is the keyboard and mouse.

Did school just let out or something?

not for the ps3, unless I've failed to figure out how get out of a game– I've been hitting the power button after quitting to the game menu because I am either a miserable failure or the ps4 does not do this while connected to the ps3.

of coooourse they are

literal touch sceen without the screen

This one controller has an issue
Then that surely means that they're all broken!

Oh I've been swindled, I have to admit, my controller is broken too. You caught me user, whatever will I do

Afterglow PS3 controller is pretty good

don't play dumb
the reason I posted that video was to show that the left touchpad is indeed a touch sensitive pad with coordinate based input, much different than an actual button or d-pad

as this user said

it's a nice feature on a controller, but not to substitute a d-pad or even an analog stick

It doesn't matter though.
If you put your finger on the top and press, like you would a d-pad, it works exactly the same.

But instead of having a just d-pad, which is completely worthless on 90% of games, you can also use it other ways that might suit that game better.

I own the controller and know how inferior it is 95% of the time to keyboard/mouse or classic controllers, but don't fucking pretend that that video is anything more than anecdotal.

lol

the same thing could be said for a virtual dpad on a mobile game's touchscreen, with an extra step of pressing the whole touchscreen down(the DS4's touchscreen is like this too, doesn't, feel like buttons at all)
the point is that it isn't a d-pad.
d-pads have a specific function of being strictly 8-directional, with only one direction pressed at a time, with the proper feedback. you can simulate it, but it won't be as good
it's like having a show instead of a hammer
you can use a it to hammer nails, but you wouldn't buy a toolbox that came with a single shoe instead of a hammer

for movement options? either 4/8directoinal, axis based input or coordinate based input. d-pads and analog sticksfrom controllers cover 8directional and axis based input, and coordinate based input is covered by mouses in a way controllers can't even come close achieve

see
the video was used to counter the argument that the left touchpad was actually "buttons"
I found no other video displaying the axis feature of the touchpad. the fact that the controller is malfunctioning there is irrelevant.

Has the sky imploded or is it just a technical oversight that will get 'fixed' in the next version?

But that's not true you dumb cunt.
The pad has physical buttons, you literally have to put your finger in the exact spot you would if it were a d-pad and then physically press down on the button until it triggers.

You have not used it, you are completely talking out of your ass and pretending to sound superior.

first:
I bet you know what a dildo does? well you must be an user then :^)

second
what you have here is a touchpad with clicking capabality being used to simulate a d-pad
it has stuff like deadzones and precise axis positions and multitouch capabilities, that shit isn't present with buttons
it is the same thing virtual d-pads do in mobile games toucscreen controls, but you can press it down to click it and simulate a button better, but still not a button(techically, the clicking mechanism may be a button, but it's a single one that takes axis data from the touchpad, not a d-pad)

also, I'm not trying to sound superior than anyone, just want facts to be facts and opinions opinions

Just because it isn't a d-pad doesn't mean that it doesn't work exactly like one.

Pressing down a d-pad

Pressing down the SC's pad

Dead zones and multitouch is completely irrelevant if you're using it as a d-pad, all of that can be deactivated at your decision, and it wouldn't even make sense to have everything active at the same time.

?????

nice moving the goalpost there

I never said this thing couldn't work like a d-pad, just that it isn't as good as one, since it lacks proper feedback
the heptic feedback/clicking aren't even close to replicate actually feeling and pressing an actual d-pad with your fingers
your explanation of how pressing dpads work are really lackuster, skipping the part about feeling the shape/motion of the d-pad and ignoring stuff like moving your finger from a direction to another in an already pressed d-pad

At this point I don't know if you're fucking with me
It's a physical button, it's exactly like a fucking d-pad you double nigger

You mean the shape that is also present on the SC?

Oh fuck off

how? while it's true it can't open the xmb from inside a program, it should work with the games themselves

ah, yes, the good old single button, touchscreen d-pads

no, i mean the shape of dpad, that pivots around a point in it's center and with a button under each of it's four directions for the actual input and feedback, not a cross shaped depression across a big ass disc that reads touch to input coordinates and has a button under it to know if you want that coordinate read as a direction in an 8-directional plane.

lol, didn't even see that part in the OP
nigger just use DS4windows
it just works and lets you configure the shit out of your input

The batteries use the most dead-common connector, so you could probably use rechargeable cordless phone battery packs. It's just a battery with a positive and ground lead, ending in a common connector that plugs into the controller board. The battery itself is held to the board with double-sided tape. Almost impossible for it to be more simple, so it would cost money to complicate it. Besides, most people are too fucking stupid and clumsy to be able to replace the battery in a PlayStation controller.

It's the only one with a good d-pad.

The design of the DS3 is virtually perfect with the exception of the l2/r2 triggers. Poor quality parts are what holds it back but the design is still so good that it's the best modern controller.

DS3 is garbage, it feels like a cheap chinese knockoff of a playstation controller but somehow is the official one.