Yakuza / RGG Thread - Kiwami Edition

Yakuza Studio is having a new title presentation this Saturday, the 26th…but the Taiwanese PS Store couldn't keep it in their pants and leaked it. As some have predicted, it's a remake of Yakuza 2, aptly titled Yakuza Kiwami 2. It also gives December 7 as a release date.

Meanwhile, the first Yakuza Kiwami is coming to the West in a few days on August 29 and Yakuza 6 is coming to the West next year on March 20th.

gematsu.com/2017/08/yakuza-kiwami-2-announcement-leaked
gematsu.com/2017/08/yakuza-6-song-life-launches-march-20-americas-europe

Other urls found in this thread:

gematsu.com/2017/08/yakuza-kiwami-2-announced-ps4
yakuza.sega.com/RGGStudioAnnouncementSurvey/
gematsu.com/2017/08/hokuto-ga-gotoku-confirms-shin-yuria-game-original-characters
forums.sega.com/showthread.php?322120-Full-list-of-cut-content
imgur.com/a/mfqkO
tgs.sega.jp
gematsu.com/2017/09/hokuto-ga-gotoku-details-toki-rei-airi
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I bet SEGA's pissed about that fuck up.

SEGA just loves milking that Yakuza cash cow don't they

I don't have a PS3 so how the hell am I going to play 3 - 5

Except Yakuza is fucking awesome, pleb

Not worth it, If you played one you played them all anyways since they love reusing assets to cheapen the costs of development

That doesn't answer my question

What question?

These games don't even sell that much.

Is it okay to play Kiwami first or should I start from the original PS2 releaes?

Never play the originals. They're comparatively clunky. Just go with Kiwami.

If you want to see the series evolve naturally, building up upon its framework throughout the years, play the original. If you want great gameplay, but don't mind querying as to where those nice new features went, should you play the others in the series, play Kiwami.
As an aside, Kiwami has a slightly altered plot due to some of the additional content.

That's actually what I wanted to know the most, because I don't mind losing some features if that means following the plot without issues. But if it's nothing major I'll go with Kiwami.

These games don't even sell that much. They're still really niche compared to pretty much everything else. Even sonic.

It seems to me that they just really like making the series.

I really hope that the series continues after 6, in some way. There's supposed to be a livestream or something this weekend that discusses the future of the series.

And I love them for it.

Apparently, the story got a few changes to tie it with the events of 0.
For some reason, a rumor ran around that Nishiki would be playable for a portion of the game but that isn't true.

I think I read somewhere they wanted to take a break from it, work on a new Binary Domain or something.
Anyway, it looks like Kiwami 2 won't be the only thing to be announced. Leaving the stream link here in case anyone's interested; it's scheduled to go live in 18h.

Someone who's never played the games showing their shit tastes and ignorance. Not surprised.

They sell like hotcakes in Japan which is their main target audience you bullshittinh nigger

They better do a Yakuza 3 Kiwami so we can get an actual complete localization this time.

Part of me thinks they'll stop after 2. The first game being remade makes some sense given it hasn't aged all that gracefully and 0's story probably affects 1's. Meanwhile, 2 is arguably the most beloved game in the series. And both are probably short enough to remake on a modest budget. I'll admit I wouldn't if they kept going, if it means Akiyama and Saejima with the 0 combat system.

Side note, just me or 6 Kiryu looks kinda weird? Seems like a in-between young Kiryu and just-out-of-the-slammer Kiryu.

I think that they should just release those PSP spin offs on the Vita already.

Im impressed that Kiwami 2 is happening on 6's engine, I figured that they would just reuse 0's engine and combat again. I hope they improved on the engine since 6 though.

It must be the new engine they're using for the game, but from comparing his model along with hostesses from 5 and 0, both parties look extremely off.

Is that some sort of sentai squad? The Nega-Boner Rangers?

Seems like it. The two girls on the left look alright, but the rest is just average.
Muh nigga.

Still kinda disappointed that Haruka's not a fighter in Yakuza 5.

Yeah, I'm sure newcomers will be so impressed with those re-purposed PS2 animations and lip sync used on PS4 assets. There are no shortcuts, if you really want to enjoy a series you must start at the beginning or you are getting a false version of history. This is true of any series.

Only graphicsfags play remakes.

I fucking hope not, I want to play Yakuza 3 how it should be played.

The only sega games coming to the Vita at this point is what ever Atlus ships out. If they touch the Black Panther games it will be PS4 ports

Yakuza 1 aged like complete shit, barely plays like every other game in the series and had an awful dub.
There is absolutely no reason to play Yakuza 1 after Kiwami releases.

I like how you don't refute what I'm saying at all. Again: I'm sure newcomers will be so impressed with those re-purposed PS2 animations and lip sync used on PS4 assets.

Yakuza 1 aged fine unless you're a massively underage faggot, it's only problem is it's dub.

Honestly the only good thing about Yakuza 1 now is the music, since it was raw and in house and relied on melody over electronic blasts.

Bullshit. You're honestly gonna sit there and tell me there is nothing good about Yakuza 1 outside of it's music? What because a remake came along later? Utter horse shit. Yakuza 1 was a good game when it came out, and it's still a good game today.

I'd say that the dub wasn't a problem. In fact they really should have the fuck dub unlockable on a second playthrough.

no complaints from this guyy

Yeah, okay.

No it's not. Yakuza 2 is where the series gained it's ground work that's applied to the rest of the series. You can play 6 and still see 2's basis in the core of the game.
Meanwhile 1's gameplay is a half assed attempt to staple together scrapped beat em up projects to turn it into a game with a good concept but plays like the video game version of a madcatz controller
Also;
The whole game is built from the ground up, it's all been re-animated and new lines recorded. Just watch Yakuza 1 HD side by side with Kiwami's jap footage.

honestly "step the fuck up its time to die" was hype even with the shitty dub when i first played it

She practically wins by default; Kiryu gets a couple of brats, Akiyama's is dressed and has her hair done by blind retarded chimps and Shinada's is the most disagreeable cunt in all of Nagoya.

I was ready to complain that were no Saejima moves and that she didn't do the cigarette flick action but they saved the best stuff for last.
Haruka never got to brutalize the shit out of T-Bag.

Now that's giving a fuck.
Really odd to hear foul-mouthed Kiryu though, especially in front of Haruka. He'd smash someone's face in the pavement but I'm sure he'd never say naughty words in front of her.

I like these games sense of humour, I hope they come to PC.

Entering this thread just to call you a fag

Majority of the hostesses (Kaguya, Riku, Honoka, and Shion) are pretty alright. The one that's really a cunt was the last one in Kamurocho, Hinata.

Stop acting like the playstation is holding games hostage just by existing.

it is though

I hope they don't, the fanbase is wonderful and can really do without being ruined.

So you have no clue what you're talking about, eh? Not surprised given the only shit you can talk about Yakuza 1 is random shit like "it's like a madcatz controller" instead of actual criticism.

It is though, Sony didn't publish this game, Sony has no hand in it, yet it's only on their system, and there are 0 barriers apart from Sega's own personal ones to a PC release.

Don't care about your circle jerk or safe space, I play games to enjoy the games.

paris after people like you.

I don't want any part in your community, sounds shit.

yeah, do us all a favor and stay away. go back to mount & blade and stalker.

No, I'm still going to wait for that Yakuza PC port that Sega were interested in, but I won't touch your community, maybe to gloat about it.

It will probably be as fun as watching the Dark Souls community lose it's shit, that was fun.

better rev up those petitions and keep on begging.

Sega has already shown interest in Yakuza ports.

it's going to be fun watching the shitfits over how awful the ports are.

There last ports ran fine.

Maybe now that it's getting more popular in the west, it'll finally happen…

damage related to framerate lmao

Guess not even Ryu ga Gotoku studio is safe from becoming shit

what

Serious question time.

I could buy Kenzan and Ishin for about 15 USD each. Scalping notwithstanding, are the games worth playing untranslated as they are? Because I fear there's no point playing with zero understanding of what's being said.

I want cuckchan to leave

How is truth cuckchan

Just quit being a pleb and learn Japanese.

There is an english guide for ishin that will allow you play it and mostly know what's going on in the story. It is a super fun game.

How the fuck would a PC release "ruin" the fanbase?

Genuinely surprised

What about kenzan?

Not everyone is living on their parents money user, can't waste my time learning a language just to play import games.

How odd. This will take some time to get used to.

Maybe Haruka will be a fighter in Yakuza 7
I doubt they'll do that though

Would be nice to have a Yakuza 7 that continues with characters we already know, though. But the problem is that the main characters are pretty old already.

Fuck, man. There aren't really any of these in both east and west. I really wish they'd bring it across too.

It could work.

Honestly I feel like they've reached a point where they're saying "I don't know what to do with this IP." But we'll see how it goes.

ask souls fans tbh

Souls fanbase has been shit since DS released

t. PCuck

no, just a year later. Those threads in 2011 to mid 2012 were fantastic and it's when all the best fan creations came out too.

Im interested

do we finally get a good FOTNS 3d action game?

slightly concerned

It looks okay. And I say that because it's basically Yakuza with a FOTNS skin.

And more Yakuza is always good.

Why
Kiryu and Ryuji look ugly in the new engine compared to their models in 2, and why bring back Makoto? The reason why she was so great in 0 was because it was a one-off thing, we more or less let our imagination fill the gaps since Kiryu's and Majima's experiences shaped them into who they were. I still want to give it a try but I'm worried, especially if they remove some of the licensed tracks in the english release.

I can't read gook but the image of her they use is straight from 0 so maybe she's part of a sub story or something? Her story wrapped up well and gave so much weight to Majima that I am genuinely concerned that they're tweaking this too much

DS community got cancerous because Bamco shilled it more than DeS and did a simultaneous PS3/Xbox release

Go back to halfcuck anytime

Sega has announced Yakuza: Kiwami 2 for PlayStation 4. It will launch in Japan on December 7 at 7,590 yen for the standard edition and 11,590 yen for the limited edition.
The game, a remake of Yakuza 2, is built in the Dragon Engine used by Yakuza 6: The Song of Life, and features an additional “Truth of Majima Goro” scenario in which Majima Goro is playable, a large number of never before told stories, and completely new voice actor castings, including Hakuryu as Ryo Takashima, Susumu Terajima as Jiro Kawara, Houka goodshita as Wataru Kurahashi, and Yuichi Kimura as Tsutomu Bessho. Japanese alternative metal band SiM will handle the theme song.

gematsu.com/2017/08/yakuza-kiwami-2-announced-ps4

Gotta agree with the folks concerned about Makoto making an appearance.

The HnK game looks interesting but it's a brand new story which is mild cause for concern.

P-p-pc ports confirmed r-right bros?!

Now i love goro, i love playing as goro, i bought the zombie spinoff solely to play as goro, but yakuza 2 was about kaz and i don't want them to mess up how good goros story in yakuza 0 was by adding more where it might not be needed

I hope you know how to speak Nip
so you can import it for 120 dollars right before the game is confirmed for the West with a PC port

Hope they don't do something stupid like Shibusawa getting out of the slammer and is gunning for Makoto.
Though, to be honest, if they said there'd be a playable Ryuuji scenario, I'd be pretty happy since he's one of my favorite characters.

On the subject of playable characters, I wonder if HnG is Kenshiro only?

agreed, it would also mean getting a new fighting style which would be pretty fun

A thing I'd really like to see in the series would be the style system applied in a way that keeps a character within a gameplay archetype. Zero hops around between balance, speed and power but I'd like to see Akiyama with styles focused on speed or Saejima with power styles that could be something like one focused on grabs, another similar to Kiryu's Beast and another for hitting for motherfuckers really hard. Something like the later could fit Ryuuji really well.

SEGA has a survey in English about the recent announcements

yakuza.sega.com/RGGStudioAnnouncementSurvey/

The shortness almost makes me feel they're just humoring the gaijin piggu. Oh well… 5-5-2

Side note, you guys think a Western Kiwami 2 release might still happen in the first half 2018?

I doubt it. Mid-late 2018 at best. It took Kiwami that long.

Yeah. Looking at Kiwami and 6, "2019" was my first guess for Kiwami 2. Just thought they see this stuff has some moderate success in the West and that might put a little more spring in their step.

Isn't Y6 in the first half 2018? I think K2 would end up mid or late 2018.

Yeah. March.
I suppose they might want to keep a good chunk of time between them since these games take eons to finish, even if you're not a completion nut.
Still on the fence about Y6. It's gonna take a bit more than Okita Anri to sell me on it…at least that's what I keep telling myself.

Keep them on the right track, faggot. We don't need another Konami.

I'm probably going to get it anyway. It can't be worse than my least favourite game in the series which was 3.

And from what I played in the demo, I kind of enjoyed the combat, I would like the full game so I could see how it's expanded upon.

Plus if it's Yakuza it'll probably have most or all of the things I love.

Probably won't happen because A) Burgers don't care about any history that isn't their own. B) Sega of America shot themselves in the foot calling the series Yakuza. Ishin has nothing to do with the Yakuza, they would be hard pressed to release a game called Yakuza that is actually about the Shinsengumi.

I doubt they'll notice. They would probably just think they were samurai yakuza or something.

To be fair, a lot of familiar Yakuza faces appear in Kenzan/Ishin which might be help the confusion.

they could still call it "Yakuza", but just add a subtitle like "Yakuza: A Samurai Story" or something

Some new tidbits on HGG.

Setting
Eden, the City of Miracles – A city with an inexhaustible supply of water and electricty from the giant dome-shaped old world relic overlooking the city. It has a circulation of currency, and even an entertainment district shining with neon lights.

Characters from the Original Work
Shin (voiced by Kazuhiro Nakaya, who voices Akira Nishikiyama in the Yakuza series) – Denshosha of the Nanto Koshu Ken martial arts style. He took Yuria from Kenshiro, and gave Kenshiro the seven scars on his chest.
Yuria (voiced by Aya Hisakawa, who voices Tayuu Yoshino in the Yakuza series and Faye Lee in Binary Domain) – Kenshiro’s fiancee.

Game Original Characters
Jagre (voiced by Kenta Miyake, who plays Yuya in the Yakuza series) – A man with overwhelming power who judges Kenshiro to be a monster. He imprisons Kenshiro in the dungeon of Eden.
Kisana (voiced by Miyuki Sawashiro, who plays the role of the blind woman in Yakuza 0) – The daughter of the founder of Eden. She listens to the voice of the people, and drafts and implements various policies. Some call her a “Saint.”
The Evil King (voiced by ???) – A mysterious kenpo user. He rounds up an “Evil King Army” of bandits and repeatedly attacks Eden.

Creators Interview Tidbits
General Producer Daisuke Sato: “I wanted to make a Fist of the North Star unique to Yakuza Studio. When considering what would make the best use of that collaborative feeling, I thought it would be good for the Yakuza voice actors to play the Fist of the North Star characters. Takuya Kuroda’s voice is very suited to Kenshiro.”
Original Author Tetsuo Hara: “On that premise, I think Kenshiro’s voice is suited to someone with a good body. Listeners can also tell when the voice is of someone with the same build as Kenshiro. Kuroda’s voice is genuinely strong, and it is also nice that it bears resemblance to Yusaku Matsuda. I thought it was fate, or that I had met the ideal Kenshiro.”
Kenshiro Voice Actor Takaya Kuroda: “Fist of the North Star is a very well known work, so I by no means want to destroy the image everyone has of Kenshiro, but at the very least I plan to do Kenshiro faithfully in regard to the author’s vision.”
Tetsuo Hara: “Concerning the game, I wanted it to be done in the worldview of Yakuza. Fist of the North Star will be 35 years old next year. If we don’t adopt new energies from scratch, it won’t be a game that people will love.”
Daisuke Sato: “You can think of it as a mix of the Fist of the North Star and Yakuza worldviews.”
Tetsuo Hara: “If it comes across on screen, in the art and such that we had fun making it, that we must love Fist of the North Star, then that’s already fine for me.”

gematsu.com/2017/08/hokuto-ga-gotoku-confirms-shin-yuria-game-original-characters

Wait, is there some sort of trick here? PS4 games are never priced like that unless they're small indie stuff.

A lot of PS4 games are that cheap, usually 40, but I've seen plenty of games that are 30-35. It's not really a major release anyway.

Speaking of which, when the fuck is 0 gonna get a price cut? Everywhere I go it's still being sold for $80, and even used copies are still $70.

t. Cucknadian

Where I live it's full 60 yurobucks for new releases all the time, which is why I find it so strange. And I gather that Kiwami is a remake of the first, but it still has the content the series is known for, right?
Looking around a bit, the price cut might be due to the game being in full english, which I know my compatriots as a whole tend not to care for.

Replayed the minigame like 50 times, never got the call. What the actual fuck?

Just completed Y5 btw. That ending was so fucking stupid. Especially 'villains wants us to fight, so let's fucking fight' shit.

Yeah it's around that price; it's a budget title and even with the extra content, it's the first Yakuza in its modesty. Here in the boonies, I got fleeced for a few extra merkel shekels but what the hell! it's probably the last game I'm buying this year besides some digital release or another.

Here it's €60-70.

Yakuza 0? From what I read, there's 6 phone calls, 3 duds and 3 legit, with the fast prompts being legit dates. And for both, there's 3 bikini colors so if you already got a dud for blue and green, try to get a red.
On my end, I need to do the dance battles. I like the mini-game but I'm terrible at it.

I thought the ending was stupid too but mostly for Haruka's part and I was sad there wasn't more closure to Shinada even though it's heavily implied. I think Akiyama somehow walked out looking the best even if his endboss was the worse. And on that note, the final boss is extremely uneventful, some guy that literally just wants to 1v1 Kiryu and comes as so non-threatening that Kiryu is the one that gives a monologue.

Side note, Nagoshi explained why HGG is using the old engine:
First off, the “Dragon Engine” is an in-development engine, and while it performs very well, it can be peaky and difficult to work with. Recently, there was a structural change at Sega Games and with it the team expanded, so a large number of staff that were not involved in the Yakuza project came in. Under such circumstances, given that things like the tools environment and development know-how of the earlier engine are complete compared to the Dragon Engine, it was more appropriate to use the earlier engine, which nevertheless has sufficient performance.
Hokuto ga Gotoku‘s graphics are realistic, but there is a bit of manga-esque shading called the toon shader. Considering that, they came to the conclusion that they should use the earlier engine rather than the Dragon Engine, which is more realistic and harder to work with.

So how many hours of content do you figure, assuming I'm going for all activities ? Is it a good way to start with this series ?

Battle dances are not so bad. I was struggling at the last posh dude, but as it turns out he can fuck up the fever. Just follow the beat and try to make the longest combo.

Shinada's story felt the most complete and good-written to me tbh.

I wouldn't know about hours but I clocked 226h in Y5 with around 79% completion and I've about 150h+ in Y0 with a lot of things to do; I imagine Kiwami will be much shorter given it only has 1 playable character and, unless I'm mistaken, is set exclusively in Kamurocho while the sequels will have at least 2 cities to wander about. The game is about as long as you want it to be, you can dawdle indefinitely if you feel so inclined and the games encourage that.
As for starting point, most will tell you to start with the proper Yakuza 1 and move on to get a firm idea of how much the series progressed but it's also true that the original Yakuza aged very poorly. My personal opinion, I'd say yes because it has a good price, is more self-contained so it won't feel as overwhelming as 5 and you get the best combat system in the series, lifted straight from 0. Though if you already like the genre and are prone to dawdling, I'd say get 0, it probably costs double but it's really good; the 80s setting and all the zany side content make it probably the funniest game I played in years.

All the colors make getting the buttons right a bit tricky. I need to camp at the Maharaja for a few hours and git gud at groovin'.

Some moments in Y5 are dumb but it's still one of my favourites out of the series.

I think Shinada's fight with Baba is one of the most senseless things in the series. But I also think Shinada's story otherwise is really good, and he's one of my favourite characters.

The final boss (I can't even remember his name) isn't really a challenge both storywise and gameplaywise. Kiryu takes him on while nursing a bullethole in his side and still pounds the shit out of him.

Akiyama becoming a legend himself is plenty awesome though.

Baba as a shooter didn't make much sense if you ask me. If he knew that Haruka is in danger why didn't he warn Kiryu? If he was betraying Kurosawa by saying Saejima that he purposefully got him out of prison why didn't he make the same for Kazzy?

As for Shinada - well he was butthurt about the idea of screwing another random baseball player with the accusation of sign stealing i guess. Hated the fight with Baba - hate the gimmicky 'weapon master' characters.

Goes down faster than a fat chick on prom night once you get whatever's the 0 equivalent of the Komaki Tiger Drop.

The bald guy is the best Shakedown; the only thing missing that could truly elevate him to legendary status was if he were true to his word and shave Majima bald. Wouldn't that be something?

Good character but probably the worse in terms of gameplay; way too many gimmicks that don't mesh well together nor work like a inescapable grab even the lowliest peon can break.
The story's nice because it doesn't come with any baggage but I can't help but feel he adds nothing to the main narrative and it's too much betrayal for one man to soak in. Poor guy.

It is a cheap quick hack job using PS2 animation assets including lip sync. It's not a real AAA experience. This is why people should play the original instead of the cheap hackjob remake, but fags gonna fag I guess.

Oh, and I forgot to mention all the bosses and fighting styles are lifted from other games instead of being original like they were the first time around. Just to clarify: they just ripped off whoever from recent games they felt was closest to the boss and slapped their style on their. Fuck their original style or the original gameplay! Apparently PS2 games are too old to be enjoyed now, don't you know?!

don't like it don't buy it faggot.

Stay salty sonycuck

absolute horseshit i shoulda' just went to a store

well alright then.

Complain to them and they'll probably give you a discount.

Back to reddit

You know what I mean autist, Yakuza 1 was a AAA back when that meant something.

The american dub was pure trash, Kiwami is basically bleach to finally forget about that cringy shit.

I complained to amazon and said I wanted my shit for free for being late and I got it for free.

But she is still alive. Gotta fix that fam

Is Yakuza 3 good?

This is how stupid you sound. You're being a sperg while simultaneously defending the shitty american dub, you are a failure of a man.

The only sperg here is you. How hard is it to understand that PS2 animations look fine on a PS2 game but look shit with PS4 assets? I'd ask if you're retarded but with how you're acting it's pretty obvious.

How does Kiwami compare to 0 in terms of bosses, music, amount of content etc? It's quite cheap where I live and it looks like it's ironed out some of 0's kinks (the seamless style switching in particular looks great) but I've heard it has issues of its own. The Majima Everywhere system seems kind of questionable but I can live with PS2 animations on PS4 models.

Nice.

Yes, but the story is lacking and some stuff has been cut out.

You mean stuff removed from the final game or stuff removed from the English release?

Spent my first hours with Kiwami and I'm beginning to think that going straight to Hard was a rash decision. Just me or Kiryu's very weak in this game? First run in with Majima and I got completely destroyed but I think it's intentional; he's got 3 HP bars, comes at you in Mad Dog style and pretty much dodges everything you throw at him.
And another thing: how do you stop the boss regen thing? There's a tutorial in the slammer and from what I understood, you have the matching Heat aura and hit Triangle as the prompt appears but got nothing ever since.

Also, I can see the point of that user criticizing the re-use of animations; it was kinda disappointing to see Shimano pull Mr Shakedown's moves.

What animation? the cutscene or the combat? because both doesn't apply to your argument. The cutscene use motion capture and the combat is from Yakuza 0.

you have to unlock the kiwami attacks again form the Soul tree, first encounter shimano is fucking bad, man. just uses shakedown moves and has a huge health bar, i just peppered him with rush attacks for what felt like forever. after that though you get free roam back and you can start having fun and doing majima everywhere properly and get your dragon moves again

Yeah, just did a bit of horsing around the moment I got that whiff of freedom before calling it a night. Imagine my luck, the very first sub-story I got was the chick with the huge gazongas.
Also went by the video store and noticed Kiryu's secretary fell on hard times. :^)

I eventually saw the techniques in the roulette. Kinda silly to gimp the player this hard right off the bat.
As for Shimano, I did my pre-Tiger Drop Shakedown strategy for Kiryu: Brawler dash light-heavy; for some reason the Brawler light attack carries the dash momentum and it's pretty helpful against him because you can get a heavy in.

Something I forgot asking: in the ability "panels", there's a series of icons, the first 4 are the styles but I don't get what the other 3 are.

Would it be haram to play Yakuza Kiwami before Yakuza 0?

It would be haram to play any of the two before the OG.

Nice digits, but that didn't answer my question

Yes

It'll make older games a slog if you go to play them later, that's just the nature of starting in the middle of any series.There are some specific misgivings about Kiwami though. It reuses the PS2 animations but has updated models and graphics that make it look strange. It also lifts a bunch of movesets from other Yakuza games to bring the old bosses up to par with the new combat system so it could deflate the enjoyment you have with the bosses that those moves have been lifted from. It's a fairly inexpensive venture and not a wholly new effort as they've mostly built it by reusing assets from Yakuza 0.

I'm hoping they don't make the same mistakes for Kiwami 2.

So after a few hours of Kiwami I've noticed a few problems, although I can forgive it somewhat since it's not really meant as a full on yakuza game (evidence by its price tag).

So far there seems to be some extreme cases of bulletsponge enemies, that fucking shimano fight took ages. Also is it just me or are there no arcade games this time round? I found the crane game and the photo booth but did they not put anything else in? You can see they mostly cut n pasted from 0, especially assets but again I can forgive it. I just hope Kiwami 2 with it being on the newer engine feels a lot more different. All in all it's alright, the Majima everywhere is somewhat entertaining.

Yeah, motion capture from the PS2 version. There is no new animations added, please feel free to prove me wrong if you can with anything other than "NU-UH!". Plus all you fags are doing is going on about the animations and ignoring the far more important part of what I said:

It changes the fucking tone of the game, changes the gameplay, and removes the originality and uniqueness of not only the bosses from 1 but the bosses from later games in the series.

Kiwami is a fucking terrible way to introduce new players, but keep defending it. Honestly you remake fags are always underage retards anyway. Who the fuck thinks PS2 games are too archaic to be enjoyed aside from underage fags?

Why are you moving goal post?

Nigger, The animations were captured a long time ago and look shit on PS4 characters, ESPECIALLY the lip sync animations which look extremely out of character next to the new animations from new story scenes. Do you think motion capture hasn't changed at all since Yakuza 1? Do you think modern models don't have more articulation than PS2 models?

But keep ignoring the important bits about tone and originality and keep focusing on the animations, why am I not surprised all remake fags can focus on is graphics?

I dont think you know how motion capture work, user. If I have a capture data of people walking and put it on 2 different model, its gonna look exactly the same.

You're the one that brought it up faggot

Yes.

Anyone know moon around here?

It says Ryuji and Daigo are fucking stupid so Kiyru needs to beat some fucking sense into them and Majima may or may not constantly show up to inject concentrated fun into the game.

Figured it would be something like that. Nips really need to learn how to abridge.

Not if it doesn't have as much articulation as the model, it's going to look stiff and blocky. Are you seriously so retarded that you think motion capture technology from 2005 went to the trouble/had the ability to record FUTURE PROOFED animations with more points of articulation than anyone was using at the time?! user, you're a fucking idiot who knows nothing about technology or game design and frankly you should sit down and shut the fuck up.

Only ever played Yakuza 4 on ps3. Akiyama and Saejima were good characters. I also really liked the whole dojo sequence. I got as far as the third character and got bored of the game since I couldnt get into that part of the story. Thats all I know about yakuza.

Aren't there a bunch of new cutscenes that they did motion capture for? I haven't played it but I remember watching a video that mentioned the new lip syncing in those scenes making the original PS2 ones look even more jarring.

So Holla Forumsirgins, did you enjoy these past 2 days of goons shitting up the next major japanese release?

As is your natural, have you slowly been drifting to their consensus in order to feel integrated?

I enjoyed the first game, but not enough to buy the remake. I'll be buying a PS4 for Kiwami 2 though.

I feel like 2 is a good stopping place and didn't enjoy the stories of 3 or 4 as much.

Anyone who shits on Japanese games doesn't belong here.

So how the hell does bug Rumble Roses works? I get the RPS base game but the deck building confuses the heck out of me, particularly the compatibility; there's a line of squares and they have circles, double circles, triangles and stars. I know what they mean but I don't get what each square - is it to line it up to the insect card?
Speaking of this mode, Yakuza Studio has elevated asset reuse into an art form. They take animations from the oddest things like the outros being from Haruka's dance battles.

Also ran into Pocket Circuit Fighter. Dear lord, that was pathetic.

Long shot, but has anyone gotten the Yakuza HD collection working on their Wii U? I have Haxchi so that's not the problem, but from what I've gathered from some GBATemp threads is that something about the language files on the disc gets wonky with American Wii Us and won't let you play (even when using a region-free loader app).

Got the game a few days ago. So far it's fun, and recently encountered Goromi in the Shine hostess club. Though I can't seem to figure out who am I suppose to give the adhesive tape to.

I'm not sure about that either, but it's leagues better than that god forsaken RNG cat fight game back in 0. I think it's just pick the best cards that suit well (gives you 4+ stats) with your main one, and play it out by rock, paper, scissors.
>Ran into Pocket Circuit Fighter. Dear lord, that was pathetic.
At least he got a fiance. The one whose pathetic is the guy that still has a crush on the girl for 17 years.

Just did that part too, mein Führer. Wonder if things play out differently if the affinity bar is filled up.
I liked the little throwbacks to Zero.

No clue either. It's there in collectibles.

Starting to get a grasp of things; each insect card has those some six squares as the skill cards and one square in the insect card is colored differently and I think getting that to match with the skill card offers the most compatibility.
So far it seems a LOT better than JCC but I only fought two opponents and the first was extremely predictable. Maybe the RNG is more forgiving to the player; I'm already happy I don't have to mash X when both get the same because that was a sham, impossible to out-mash the AI.
On the other hand, Blackjack is considerably more inclined to favor the house now.

The kids Kiryu played back in the day? Haven't ran into them yet.

Just did that part too, mein Führer. Wonder if things play out differently if the affinity bar is filled up.

Starting to get a grasp of things; each insect card has those some six squares as the skill cards and one square in the insect card is colored differently and I think getting that to match with the skill card offers the most compatibility.
So far it seems a LOT better than JCC but I only fought two opponents and the first was extremely predictable. Maybe the RNG is more forgiving to the player; I'm already happy I don't have to mash X when both get the same because that was a sham, impossible to out-mash the AI.
On the other hand, Blackjack is considerably more inclined to favor the house now.

Sega Europe is at fault for Mania since they handled the PC port.

Same too, but kinda sad that Goro broke ties with the hostess girls back at sunshine, and he doesn't know what happen to them now.
I try to steer away the casinos and the mahjong games. I rather beat up guys for pocket change than lose a huge load from a rigged game of blackjack, poker, or roulette.
You will at some point, but yeah, it's the same bunch of kids, and they're all grown up.

For fuck's sake! The board was derping out on me and I ended up quadruple posting. Just lovely.

They went back to their regular jobs of tackling every dick in Japan. Maybe in Kiwami 2 we'll know what happened to Sunshine since Sotenbori will be available and Majima will have his own scenario.

Blackjack was pretty lax in 5 and 0 so I was rather surprised. Normally, I don't play them either. Mahjong and Shogi because I've no clue how to play them. It seems easier to make money here than in 5.
I've some antiques from the lockers but I haven't pawned them off yet. The description says "right buyer" which got me wondering if there isn't anywhere I can fetch a better price.

I did. You were right that was even more pathetic. It's a NTR story just waiting to happen. Dude goes grab some drinks, comes back and his childhood sweetheart is riding the dragon.

Anyway, now I'm stuck looking for Majima. Got a call that he's hiding somewhere. I think I've been horsing around for about 8h at the start of Chapter 4; at this rate, I'll be fighting Amon soon.
Also beat the shit out of two trannies.

When will these fucking idiots get off their asses and stop making a repetitive beatemup series?

JUST MAKE JET SET RADIO 3 ALREADY REEEEEEEEE

Figured it out. You give to a hobo during the mission where you need to the find the florist for more info. These cutscenes about nishiki are kinda hard to watch, especially all that bromanship in 0.
I only fought one so far. Haven't found the other one yet.

Speaking of objects, I ran into a guy that lost a silver briefcase and I've no clue where to find it.

Yeah, Zero really made those feel a bit heavier.

Fought a third one. This game is problematic. :^)

Finally decided to move with the story and got a loli. I'm thinking that I might be horsing around too much but looking back at my time with Zero, I'm probably very mistaken.

Stop

answer behind spoiler give the tape to a homeless man in the park and he'll give you the briefcase

The only problem I have with the trannies is the wrong pronouns keep being used for their biological sex.

I'm really glad 0 happened because there was practically zero brotime with Nishiki before he becomes the main villain.

i thought i was going to have a conniption when i saw it was the same base game, but it looks like it has the decency to clue you in to the enemy patterns so RNG doesn't decide victory

Worth getting the Japanese version instead I guess.

I'll look that up. Always bugs me a bit when I can't figure shit out; last night, I had to look up Majima's hiding spot.

Well, Kano, is supposed to be an idiot.

Speaking of substories, the one where you pick up a "package" from a lady at the Theater Square was a freakin' riot.

It also makes Kiryu's decision to take the plunge for Nishiki a lot more believable.
Incidentally, I find it hard to believe that manlet Dojima ever did anything; seems like his glory days are just mooching off his underlings' work.

Hawkwood pls
Shame they didn't make a simple FG out of it. That VF4EVO cabinet is a cruel tease.

Side note, hostesses are still the most disagreeable cunts ever and this time we got a dyke.

Yeah, I agree. Playing Yakuza 1 originally didn't give you much characterization with Kiryu and Nishiki's friendship outside of the beginning of the game. Yakuza 0 did a fantastic job in doing so.

Getting all the Komaki moves back is gonna be a pain this time but i'm obsessed with doing side shit so its okay

but he's studies all your moves, baby

oh dude its like a fresh new story, i always put yakuza 1 lower on the story bar because i never saw any chemistry between kiryu and nishiki till now. It's great man

Oh god that shit. I already s-ranked both hostesses, and I felt blue balled by the lesbian hostess, rina. Though on the plus side, she sorta gets some sense dicked into her and prefers cute girls rather than ugly butch ones. However, yui from jewel is l slightly better than her.
It really feels that way, and Matsuhige is a real piece of shit.

Yakuza is meh tier.

Isn't Komaki's first appearance in 3? Guess now Sega has to make Kiwami 3 to fix that. :^)

I'm crossing fingers I'll get to see Nishiki murder that cunt.
Incidentally, just finished Ch4 and Nishiki's scene is some heavy shit
Ch4 boss also kicked my ass good. Got me wondering if I'm gittin gud or if it's just the upgrades that make Kiryu stronger and more "survivable". Speaking of Kiryu getting stronger, it's taking eons to earn Heat build for Dragon. It's practically useless until I have that.

Anyway, while I haven't ran into anything as crazy as in Zero, Kiwami does have its moments.

he's been in the series since 1, vid related

My bad then.

coincidence, or a joke about him only having one eye? I must be past the 20 hours mark now and only on like chapter 7 or so, not that i'm too concerned since i played yakuza 1 ages ago and I love all this side stuff

Well, I've gotten around to emulating the first one. Definitely wasn't expecting something this cutscene/drama-heavy. I suppose it opens up later ?

Just beat Zero, 1(PS2) and 2(PS2). Where do I go next? I hear 3 is terrible….

As far as I remember hostess club and japanese quiz game in sega club not available, it has more polished fight system than 2 and great villain

I heard talk that Yakuza is on SEGA's list for PC ports, what can we expect from a SEGA port?

Just go in order. I think 3 is one of the weaker ones, but the gameplay gets better than 1 and 2 and it still has most of the trappings of Yakuza. Most because lot of side shit was removed in localization.

Thankfully this didn't happen in the games afterwards.

It opens up after a certain point early on to allow you to wander around, explore and do your own thing. All the games are like that. You're kind of trapped and being railroaded for the first half hour or hour or so before it opens up.

The unique thing about Yakuza is the juxtaposition between drama and silliness. The main story may be more serious, but the side missions can be hilarious.

common misconception, 3 is still a very good game it just doesn't blow your tits off in certain aspects. That might come from the fact they were jumping onto new tech for that game. It's still a must play but you'd just be more likely to revisit titles like 2/5/0 before 3

and western location losts 2 minigames like said but the base story is intact.

nice double dubs, but expect NEVER EVER or an absolute botch job, maybe even denuvo.

Well, how was the Bayonetta port then?

I honestly don't know since i played the beejezus out of that game during release time and following years so i didn't look into the port, but i heart sonic mania PC is an abortion

Here's a full list of things removed from Yakuza 3

forums.sega.com/showthread.php?322120-Full-list-of-cut-content

its a good thing Sega actually listened to the complaints and didn't fuck with the localizations after this

I wager he'll come for a rematch.
He followed me into Smile Burger and then into the arcade where I promptly schooled him at MesuKing.
I'm on Ch6 right now; the boss fight with him makes the Majima side content kinda awkward now.
Speaking of fighting Majima, this might be karma for abusing that shit on Zero, but going against Slugger or Breaker is starting to get under my skin. He goes bananas when he's down to the last third of HP; perfect dodges everything, counters every grab attempt and pretty much never stops attacking.
On the plus side, kudos to them for making leveling up not atrociously slow; now that I moved on to the 50 XP point abilities, each Majima encounter now yields enough XP to get a ability.

Meanwhile, these hostesses are probably the biggest cunts in the series. I'm starting to get there, order a 35K champagne and mash X. You get very little options, no extensions or option to leave early and get shit on for your clothes (the others did this but here you lose all of the pre-set affection bar though it can be negated by equipping stuff like the Celebrity Perfume).
They better make up for this and keep that big titty hostess in Kiwami 2.

breaker majima is the one i find most unpleasant to fight just because his strings last really long and you gotta wait awhile for them to end, and if he's on his bottom thirds your punishes probably won't knock him down. but i net 100+ bars of xp every time i fight him now so it doesn't feel like a waste at all.

Anything is better than the first shimano fight, i dunno why the made that suck so much it was fine in original, i hope later shimano fights don't keep using the mr shakedown moveset

That too. He becomes a poise monster.

It's not but it just gets frustrating how much harder he is when close to defeat. I think I just need to chug one ZZ just in case I don't get punted or cornered and then end up spending 2 or 3.

That was so disappointing. And I could swear even the theme is Mr Shakedown's or, at least, has a excerpt of it.

I do like the balls to the walls manliness and muh honor going on in the cutscenes. Gameplay's serviceable. I can look forward to playing bits of it when I'm in the mood, though I do have yet to find any major silliness beyond a plushie catch minigame.

i spent like an hour and a half patrolling for him last night, but i found some new subquests i didn't know about in the process so i cant complain

Can't beat that fuckin' gimp at the coliseum and it's drivin' me nuts. The piece of shit just melts your whole HP bar in one combo.

I'm still working on the 50 point line. How far are you?

i'm on the chapter where you have to go into shangrila, i want to cap out komoki/goro again before i proceed though, like every time i play a yakuza game i like to become wildly overpowered before reaching the end due to my addiction to progress-crack

The first game was still trying to find its roots. It built a strong foundation for one of the best games in the series (Yakuza 2), and was the beta formula for the rest of the games afterwards.

I feel you about the bull man, dude. I don't know if he's just supposed to cockblock you or if there's some trick to it other than parrying. Right now I'm stuck dealing with the florist's bullshit and now that I've got all the 10 exp bar abilities, Komaki's still preparing, and Majima's fucked off until another couple of chapters I have to either grind or progress the story to get any new abilities since even sidequests seem to max out at giving me 20 bars. With the brawler's grab punch being nerfed and removing the drunk and full hp buffs meaning I can no longer take off three bars of hp with a knife heat move I'm a little annoyed at how little damage I'm doing to bosses.

i dodge behind him in brawler and wack him a bit till i get max climax bar then do the rush style elbow parry heat action for big damage, the skill to build bar by dodging with rush is useful for this too

Yeah, the problem is I think that almost none of the heat abilities I have work on large enemies, which again is a big change coming from being able to repeatedly shakedown Shakedowns with them. Almost done with chapter 6, and once I get some more heat abilities I'll try again. I'm getting a lot of the restaurant menus a workout, at least.

I bought Yakuza 0 after playing it at a buddy's place, and I love it. I haven't progressed too far, but whenever I finish it, what should I play next? Should I just automatically grab Kiwami?

If you can emulate PS2 or buy them, play the originals first. Going straight to Kiwami after doing 0 would probably drain you just because of how similar they are. PS3's are pretty cheap, and copies of 4 and 5 shouldn't be too pricey, and that's where the bulk of the characterization for Majima started. Dead Souls is fun too.

That means you maxed the last roulette in Zero? When I noticed that one is just stat roids, I never bothered with it. Then again, I only cleared it on Normal.

Seems we're in the same spot. Komaki also told me to wait and Majima's enjoying the longest cigarette break ever. Fought a couple of dickheads using Shinada's moves.

Meanwhile, what might be my own time honored Yakuza tradition, I once again ask myself if the devs ever bothered play testing the Coliseum enemies because that shit is absurd. I thought the gimp would be the one asshole but then I tried the weapon tournament where I had to fight a bunch of vanilla Dark Souls poise monsters with Tekken strings; I can accept the hammer fucker hitting like a truck but getting constantly guardbroken by a hobbit in a tactical vest feels like the devs taking the piss. Meanwhile, I have to make due with a hammer that can't hit anything and when it does, does less damage than a bare fist or a wooden katana because using a real one could give me too much of a chance (and it's preset to Brawler because fuck you, the Komaki sword move set is actually good); ultimately, the fruit knife and the knuckles are the only right choices.

For fighting the gimp, I just caught him on the street fight tournament. I spam grabs then smash something in his head when I have Heat. Then he kills me with some ass pull unblockable.

i didn't finish the final wheel in zero but i had unlocked dragon and mad dog by mid game or so, i didn't even realize those styles were in game initially i was just doing the sub stories to see what would happen

use the knife, has the most stunlock and its heat action is powerful. but the weapon fights in the coliseum always suck dick because they always give you a weapon that's not even half as powerful as your fists

Btw, is there a in-game moves list for Dragon and Mad Dog? Only knew Dragon had the grab finisher and Mad Dog a Komaki-esque counter from gameplay videos I happened to see (though I should have figured the first given it was in the last game).

About the weapons, knuckles does have the advantage of basically being Rush with a couple of unique Heat moves but you gotta be pretty good with the dodges; I beat the chef with it but he's probably the easiest of the bunch.
Side note, the hammer is broken in 5; R1+Triangle is a infinite the moment you land a hit given it's a perfect tracking OTG.

Holy fuck this woman is intolerable. I swear a filthy waitupiggugohome gaijin baka wrote this bitch.

Horrible.

Don't forget her constant "I need to go to the bathroom" look.
They're both absolutely insufferable. You put up with that one, then go to Jewel and it's
49,000 well spent.

That reminds me, is the exotic dancer always the same? It's like they deliberately picked the worst model for it.

Thanks man, I've got a PS2 and PS3 around still. Are the PS2 titles expensive?

Good thing I s-ranked both girls (including going out with them just to get their karaoke scenes and the gravure scenes which the real life versions look better than their 3D model), and don't have to come back to those two places. Though it's pretty disappointing the hostesses in this game are below decent, comparing to what we got from zero. Hell, the girls from five are vastly better than this.

The dancer is always the same. save for majima's dance number.

just as much of a pain as it was in zero, i'm stuck on the pro-am race and the third race in the successor story

I swear I remember the hostesses being better than this back in OG Y1. Nothing particularly memorable but enough to slake the waifulust of a teenager. For some reason the Kiwami versions are utterly awful.

Maybe it's meant to be a satire on how nip women are so unappealing that the men are going full herbivore…

At least Yakuza 6 has cute hostesses and a live chat.

I like how Kiryu gets caught playing a titty game but doesn't fold.

Here's a guide if you ever need one: imgur.com/a/mfqkO

I tell ya, mein Führer, there'll be Hell to pay if they screw us out of the titty monster in Kiwami 2.

thanks for the guide, i ended up buckling and using one for pocket racers in 0 as well, the trial and error of getting the right car could be tedious. Beating majima in mesuking took a few tries because i swear to god he would cheat in it

i hope the progression didn't bug

Currently playing Yakuza 5.

The separate stories held up adequately, until midway into Shinada's story when it became too absurd to believe. Now I'm wading through the final chapter, and everything sounds like very forced fanfiction.

Yakuza 4's multiple betrayals were incredible to the point of comedy, but at least they got the atmosphere right. This one is just amateurish.

so majima called me before going to shangrilia and i got a fight where you tackle some ex-dojima goons with majima, when you finish them theres a bit where majima gets shot and goofily falls in the water, kiryu shrugs it off and goes home does this mean i'm locked out of majima progression again? because i'm at fucking SSS, have all the komaki moves, the kiwami attacks, the heat actions but still didn't get the emails to unlock my speed boosts

I wanna find out who decided the Akai brothers fight should have dual heat moves and the fucking breaker moveset and choke them. That Max Payne shit that Kazama does in the cutscene afterwards almost makes up for it, though. Also I found an alternate cheapskate tactic, the bear hug move that beast gets isn't an "I win" move since you'll have to do it a couple times but it works on everyone and does a good chunk of damage.

wish i had it when fighting those guys though

Yakuza 5 is still one of my favourites but it does get very weak near the end.

I really like Shinada as a character though.

i think most anyone would agree, his story is fun and even in game they acknowledge that he's stuck out of place in all of it. playing as him was frustrating at times though because his damage output was laughable compared to kiryu and taiga

I found his unarmed style to be the most fun, but I really enjoyed using swords against multiple enemies.

I can tiger drop anything to death and do the ultimate stun attack but if i don't have the attack speed up yet, funny how that worked out

Finished the chapter where shinji dies and reina is dead, but fuck that matrix boss made me want to pull out my hair. What is it that I need to max out so I don't crap out the next time I get shot? Pic unrelated.

I think the speed up one is from the slot car races, but nothing I'm doing is getting him to show his scrawny ass. I'm still in rank C purgatory but I was able to trigger the Mesuking and Dart challenges so I don't know what gives. When I got him to show up outside the convenience store by viewing magazines he said something about INVENTING the tax and either at the end of that fight or the junk food one I got Kiryu thinking "I guess Majima's got his own dark past too" which is the point where I had to put the game down for a while.

Took me ages to finish 5; maybe it does a poor job at keeping the player engaged but if I'm to be completely honest, my long hiatus was because I was terrified of Haruka's portion, thinking it would be karaoke turned up to eleven.
Still think Haruka and Shinada add very little to the overall story but I think I already rambled about that in this thread.

It's good but I think it's been severely nerfed damagewise. That thing's a death sentence in Zero; I remember finishing the last Kuze fight in seconds by beating him with a sign and then give him a hug. Then I felt bad for spoiling what should be a important moment.

Gameplaywise, Shinada feels like a experimental mess with things that don't work nor mesh well, coupled with weapons that do pitiful damage if they ever hit (they whiff on point blank).

Sounds like that substory is canon. DEEPEST LORE.

Speaking of lore, I'm kinda confused about the Florist's "realm", here the Purgatory is the actual park while the decommissioned subway station is just a red light district of sorts yet future games refer to the later as the Purgatory. Also wondered who started the whole thing, the Florist who's openly anti-yakuza or the yakuza because Zero gave me the impression that Sera's place was the proto-Purgatory.

While I haven't got the other counterattack moves for beast style, compared to rush and brawler beast's counters seem the least nerfed since it works on everyone and interrupts combos.
I think officially the underground red light district is Purgatory and West Park is just the transition zone, and people referring to the park as Purgatory is just a case of bad translation/intentionally misinformed NPCs.

i fought him slot races once so maybe i'll go back next time i play tonight is for siege BAYBEE I imagine he'll want a rematch in that like he did mesuking. I just wanna fight nishiki with full dragon style for maximum effect

i like how much his exploits in Zero get referenced, the best is when you encounter the cult as kiryu and the new leader says something along the lines of 'the battle again gorom jima damaged us"

Just finished the hostess stories, if one can call it that. It was almost worth putting up with the lesbo just for the sermon Kiryu gives her at the end, how she stereotypes people based on gender. Kudos to the team for writing a somewhat realistic lesbian, I guess. I take it the videos are unlocked for viewing by beating them at bowling or something?
Speaking of the mini-games, does the difficulty affect them? Because karaoke is feeling a lot harder than usual.
Meanwhile, I'm getting the usual 'tism ticks for not having found all keys and cards yet; still running around town with the radars on. Missing 3 keys and 5 cards (4 bugs and the very last skill card) but, regarding the later, I bought all the cards I found for sale and cleared all the MesuKing battles (besides a possible Majima rematch).
Side note, I like how easy it is to make cash in this game compared to Y5; and the rich bastards are so plentiful I sometimes feel I'm playing a mugging simulator.

Not having to press X every time you get money after a battle is pretty nice.

You're like this guy I know at work who refused to get a computer even though he could play all the nintendo games he supposedly loved on it through emulation.

This same guy sold a PS4 and it's controllers for 150 after a month of having it and he regretted it.

He's also drug addled because he smoked weed like crazy and still doesn't think right after he went clean.

You don't have that excuse.

Man, Kiryu's a beast in this game! Lectured a dyke before fucking her straight, three tranny and one cross-dresser beatings in the belt and now beat the shit out of two nogs chimping "DAS RAYCISS" at a doctor.

Side note, was surprised to stumble upon substories with fully voiced cinematic scenes.

Finally got Komaki off his ass and give me the rest of his moves, and I based that first fight with the Hannya you're actually intended to get these moves right before the finale but fuck that I want my dragon style counters. Also Kiryu's reaction to Majima finding him in the pocket circuit arena are probably the greatest lines of dialogue in the game.

Having played Yakuza PS2 a bit and finding the fighting really awkward, would it be worth it to get Kiwami if I can get it for around 20 bucks, or just go straight to finding 0 if I can?

I'm at Ch11 and he's still saying he's making preparations. Am I missing something here? Because I definitely rushed Ch10; kinda felt like the right thing to do and on that note, they kinda fucked up the moment - there's Kiryu following a trail of blood of Shinji and Reina who are being hunted down like dogs and then halfway through I get a call from Nishida saying that Majima's at the disco.

Meanwhile, Sega continues its tradition of portraying chinks as assholes obsessed with torture. Lau Ka Long was pretty cool but the bs was off the charts like a freakin' anti-grab Heat of his own and the absurd tracking on every thing he does.
Also have to confess the following segment broke me, after several frustrating attempts only to always die at the same part, I ended up accepting the offer to lower difficulty. That part with the truck is pure cancer.

Kiwami carries over plot threads from 0, so you'd probably want to start at 0 before Kiwami.

Beat Majima at the disco club, it's the rank B to A event, and then make a beeline to Komaki. You get Majima points from a Komaki training so I think what's happening is you need to be able to get Majima points or be at rank A first.

Finished the game yesterday. Got to say that was a fun ride, but it hurts that kiryu lost his best friend, his childhood sweetheart, and his mentor. Can't wait for Song of Life, but from what I've heard the game is a bit of a downgrade from Zero and Kiwami.

Having never played this series where should I start?

Yakuza 0? Yakuza Kiwami? Track down an original copy of Yakuza and start from there?

If you're planning on playing Kiwami instead of One, then start with Zero.
I always recommend starting from the first game because it is less of a pain transitioning from One to Two, than from Kiwami to Two. Three onward you can play in release order. Zero spoilers some of the story from four in regards to Majima and Saejima.

Tracking down an original copy of 1 and 2 isn't hard now, sega did a reprint of them for videogamesplus.ca.
I'd start with yakuza 1 or 0/Kiwami, but if you go with 0/Kiwami it will be harder to get into the non-kiwami'd PS2/early PS3 games. Also don't bother with 3 until a Yakuza Kiwami 3 happens, the original localization cut an ass load of content out of the game

this is a tough call, oldfags like me would say to play in release order but now that the series has 7 mainline games out in the west that can be time consuming. and zero and kiwami increased the quality of life that going back can sting a little. I played in release order myself but due to the little changes in kiwami i would say playing zero before kiwami will put a smile on your face for a lot of stuff it tweaks and how it references stuff that happens in zero. Also zero improved the story in 1 by giving the player more interaction with an important character in 1.

2 is a fucking must play, its my personal favorite and i would strongly recommend finding a copy or emulating even though it has a kiwami version coming out. 3 gets a lot of flak and probably aged worse than the ps2 titles just due to the fact with the generation leap and a funky localization it just doesn't stand out as tremendously. I don't advise skipping titles but if you had to, skip 3.

I might be willing to argue that it doesn't do it in a damaging way, but its been awhile since i played 4

Exactly that. After that, there's no break and I got all the Komaki moves. Hannya-man was a fun little nod.
Incidentally, the Four Gods lesson is absolute cancer - 4 assholes all clumped together like a Legion of faggotry and all start attacking at the same time like mongooses that got pricked in the nuts.
That said, I still don't have Dragon Speed Reborn and the moveset feels awful without it even if there's some things I swap for to use like Essence of Sumo Bitchslapping.

Now Slugger Majima is what is giving me the most trouble, mostly for the impossible tracking his moves have like the cartwheel move that can still hit you even if you dodge behind him. Absurd.
Breaker becomes a lot easier with the shin guards and the Brawler poor man's Tiger Drop done from block.
Side note, happened upon a interesting hint for dealing with a boss HP refill move which is using a full Rush string with a fully charged finisher and follow with the correspondent Heat action and, for some reason, the Heat action does more damage.

get bar, roll and do mad-dog choke one them, worked for me

i have everything but the last majima attack and dragon speed reborn, i just can't get the event to activate

once you get tiger drop back you can really make shit of most majima styles though

No, fuck these cucks, you have to play Yakuza in release order. Kiwami is not a replacement for 1 as it changes several important things about 1 newcomers should experience namely:
These two changes along fundamentally change the game and in my opinion make it unacceptable for a new player.

I know everyone wants to be a lazy faggot and play the remakes because they know it will 1) be easier and 2) will look better but the fact is the Kiwami versions of Yakuza are meant for fans who already played and enjoyed the games when they came out and want a trip down memory lane, not a replacement. The second you replace one game with a Kiwami then you fuck up the whole feeling of the series.

PLAY YAKUZA 1 FIRST

With Shimano specifically i felt this was a really poor change

This
It's not that hard to emulate the first two and I played them when I still had a toaster from 07. No excuses.

I agree, Shimano really suffered for it. Plus it makes the game feel a little cheap. I mean all they had to do was making new fighting styles for the bosses that fit with how they acted in 1. Another thing a lot of people don't keep in mind that as nice as Kiwami looks it is still a budget title they threw together quickly vs Yakuza 1 which for it's time was quite the effort.

Try redoing a tournament, doing the intro rally again got Goro to show up for me.
For Majima fighting tips, other than using Rush's/Brawler's/Dragon's counter moves, the greatest general piece of advice I can give is don't turn your back on him, ever. Use r1 and be ready to block because he can go from recoiling to attacking as fast as you can.As for specific style tips; Breaker's initial string of attacks before he starts flailing his legs have shit reach and can be knocked out of easily, using a Beast combo and the combo finisher style change maneuver to retreat can keep you mostly damage free, this also applies to Mad Dog style; Thug can be 100% of the time beaten by guarding until he finishes a combo, using square triangle, and repeat until done; Slugger is the worst, especially with the amount of damage he does, the one strat I've used that isn't counter spamming is running around with Rush until he attacks, and dodge past him at the end of his combo and use square triangle on his back, and either use the gained heat in beast style with a bear hug or pick something up and heat move him with it.

Pocket Racer tournament, not fighting tournament, just to be clear.

Just got DSR. It's by beating Majima at Pocket Circuit three times, you get a email with a photo of him holding the car for the last one.
It's a pretty tough race: 45 cost, 4 laps and a loop right before the finish lane where you'll be stuck in the last lap and it will cost you the race unless you use the boost by the 2nd/3rd lap (use it after the bumps, otherwise it's guaranteed to fly off). Also be prepared to mash Circle; you'll need a top speed motor and can't use the stabilizer but use high capacity batteries to tone down the speed so the car won't fly off the track in the first curve.

I did beat it at first try (mostly by spamming grabs) but it was extremely frustrating kinda like the breakthrough or Shinada's Amon fight in Y5.

Indeed. Breaker just melts in a minute and then I sumo slap him out of the regen.

I've swapped to using Rush vs Slugger recently and something that's been confusing me, and this isn't just against Slugger, is that I must have done some upgrade that changed how the block in that style works because now Kiryu keeps doing a quickstep back and shakes his hands. It's either tied to a upgrade or enemies do more stagger damage as the game progresses. Or something that's completely eluding me.

Why do people keep asking this? Just play the first one. It may not be as refined as the later ones, but it's still a damn good game.

Thing is, I am emulating the first one because I don't give much of a shit about graphixxx and, well, free game. But I am liking pretty much everything about it except the combat, which is the sole reason I even contemplate paying for Kiwami.

The only thing I like about Kiwami more is that it's not dubbed I will admit I did like English Kiryu a lot. And yeah, the combat is much smoother in Kiwami, but it really doesn't fit in Kiwami, I know they couldn't go back to the original, but they could at least make it so that Kiryu only has his Legend style from 0, which is the fighting style he uses in all other games anyway. As said it's more of a budget cash-in than anything else.

Because they are questioning your bullshit. Starting from Zero and proceeding to Kiwami, and eventually Kiwami 2, is the de-facto best way of enjoying the series.

First and foremost because Yakuza 1's disgusting american dub ruins the game completely. For any word you would say to defend that shit, please stuff another dick in your mouth as you're already fluent.

As for Zero, it simply has one of the best, if not best stories in the series. Enough that people are now puzzled as to why the focus shifts completely on a generic and uninteresting character as Kiryu. They literally ask for a Zero 2.

So in short: when people don't follow you, that's because you're a lousy example.

Yeah it's an upgrade thing, in the description for the re-block move for rush, it says Kiryu steps back first after having his guard broken before putting up his guard again. It's a good idea to read the text of all the moves in the ability trees and the move list you can get by pressing triangle on the sphere grid, it definitely helped me work out how to use shit effectively.

Sega announced their TGS [CURRENT YEAR +2] lineup:

tgs.sega.jp

Sega Titles
A Certain Magical Virtual-On (PS4, PS Vita) – Playable, Stage, Trailer, Goods
Dx2 Shin Megami Tensei: Liberation (iOS, Android) – Playable, Stage, Trailer
Hatsune Miku: Project Diva Future Tone DX (PS4) – Playable, Trailer, Goods
Hokuto ga Gotoku (PS4) – Theater, Trailer, Stage, Photo Spot
Phantasy Star Online 2 (PS4, PS Vita, PC) – Playable, Trailer, Stage, Goods, Photo Spot
Sonic Forces (PS4, XBO, Switch) – Playable, Stage, Trailer, Goods
Yakuza Online (iOS, Android, PC) – Theater
Yakuza: Kiwami 2 (PS4) – Playable, Stage, Trailer, Theater, Goods, Photo Spot

Atlus Titles
Shin Megami Tensei: Deep Strange Journey (3DS) – Playable, Stage, Trailer

5pb. Titles
Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon? Infinite Combate (PS4, PS Vita) – Playable, Trailer
Steins;Gate Elite (PS4, PS Vita) – Playable, Trailer

Electronic Arts Titles
FIFA 18 (PS4, PS3, XBO, Switch) – Trailer
Need for Speed: Payback (PS4, XBO) – Trailer
The Sims 4 (PS4) – Trailer
Star Wars Battlefront II (PS4, XBO) – Trailer

Nippon Ichi Software Titles
Coven and Labyrinth of Refrain (PS4) – Playable, Trailer

Warner Bros. Titles
LEGO Ninjago The Movie Video Game (PS4, Switch) – Playable, Trailer
Middle-earth: Shadow of War (PS4) – Trailer

Seems Yakuza is now the big deal for Sega. Apparently they're very pleased with how well the game is faring in the West and that's one of the reasons why Kiwami 2 is happening.
OT, I hope Fatlus has more to show and I'm rather disappointed to not see Vanillaware anywhere (crossing fingers they'll show their stuff at the Sony presentation).

Thanks.
Side note, I wish we could cash in the XP some other way besides the upgrade wheel because I got 1000+ points of it just sitting there.

Yeah, the one thing 0 did better than Kiwami was give you a money sink with being able to repeatedly upgrade the last style tree so you wouldn't be sitting on something you couldn't do anything with.
Also I'm going back through my last recorded stream and I've noticed two more things with the Majima fights I had. One, Rush style's charged kicks do a heinous amount of damage, relatively speaking. Two, I had to keep remembering not to commit to finishing moves because Goro kept punishing me by dodging and attacking if I just waited outside of his range for his attacks to finish before moving in. Baiting him out with a single jab and then either countering or using a move with a long reach was the most reliable tactic I saw myself develop.

Just got Kiwami today, liking it so far.

They definitely do. Probably 2x the full string.
But speaking of damage, Tiger Drop almost takes away all the fun of the game. Almost. Definitely enjoyed my revenge in Coliseum, finishing fights in less than 10 seconds. Finally beat the gimp too.

Anyway, is there a way to "force" the Majima MesuKing events? I played one fight with him but he hasn't appeared anymore. Meanwhile, I've got the rank-to-SSS event ready but some things missing like Slow Burn 1 (though I already have 2), Quickstep Cancel (need one more match with Idol Majima) and the grab follow up. Is there any way to screw this up, like, if I "settle the score" with Majima, does he disappear and I'm left with a incomplete upgrade wheel?

If you're missing a minigame fight try doing that minigame again, unless he's in rank up purgatory at the park or if you haven't fought him inbetween emails you should get the email from Nishida that unlocks him as an opponent.
He doesn't go away after your "final battle," so you should be able to finish upgrading dragon after that. Right now I'm at SSS rank right before shangri-la and after the pier fight, and I don't think the game will let me fight Majima again until after his story encounter at that place. The Slow Burn 1 skill is a bitch, though. Through process of elimination and internet searching it has to do with the "Please be careful!" email, Majima has to show up with Mad Dog style in one of those (((random))) encounters where a guy blocks the road and talks to you before battling.

We're at the same spot, so to speak! I'm trying to get as much done before proceeding. Already cleared the Coliseum, have 70/78 substories and Majima is missing those mentioned plus the SSS path.
Yeah, from what I gathered SB1 is tied to interruptions but apparently you have to get them all. Apparently going in and out of the bowling alley until the goons appear is a good strategy to trigger that event.

The DVD shop scene had me in stitches. Poor, innocent Kiryu.
(Haven't gotten the tax one yet.)

Yes but they probably make a huge amount of money through product placement.

How would be the best way to play/jump into this series of games, while getting the full and best experience?
I don't have a PS4
please dont reee at me

I just lost a bunch of sidequests and money due to my PS4 crapping out so I'm just gonna go through Shangri-La now and then finish up Majima's shit and then all the sidequests. Mesuking is gonna be hell, I'm sure.

play in release order then, maybe you'll get your hands on one by the time you finish 5

Finally got to it and it was easy as pie. All he does is mash finisher, like the very first kid you play.
Got all abilities and settled the score. Now it's a matter of finding what encounters I might have missed.

about the charged up rush kick, it seems that if you use a heat move after landing a fully charged rush kick will also result in the heat move doing double damage. Which kinda makes it extremely good when bosses are in the regen. Damage boosts is enough that it negates the penalty of using one heat move more then once in a fight.

Best buy has a shit load of steel books for kiwami picked one up and gonna play it after I beat zero

No, I'm talking about the actual Mesuking sidequest chain. Right now I've gotten the story up to right before the finale so I'm on substory duty for a while, I'm dreading the hostess substories and once that happens I'm going to have guide open in one tab, Kemono Friends in another, and pay attention to the actual game as little as possible. But before that I have to scour the city for Mesuking cards so the little shit in a lab coat will fight me for real.

I see.
Hostess substories were a drag, I just ordered a 30K champagne and mashed X most of the time.
About the cards, dunno if it's something you want to know beforehand or already know but there's one card with a particular requirement: Insect card #19 is earned by having a 10 win streak; just keep curbstomping the first kid.
Also, there's no skill card #30 so the album will look incomplete with the very last card slot empty.

oh thank christ, all the guides told me you would get it from just beating "practice with the professor" and i was worried it got glitched or some shit

i dunno why i wanted all the cards, maybe i never get pure 100% in these games anyway cuz fuck playing mahjong and shogi

They did well with the deaths in Kiwami: Shinji's was tragic, but Nishiki's is particularly heavy because you see it coming all the way. You wish it didn't have to be this way.

But the general story for Yakuza 1 suffers in general. There's this constant level of non sequitur, overlapping the characters' decisions: no one seems to act rationally, things don't happen when they should. Kiryu goes on a rampage at Sera's funeral, but no manhunt is called against him? Kazama is shown to be Kiryu's beacon, yet he never meets up with hm outside of an emergency? Or Jingu appearing late and being gone shortly afterwards, for little to no payoff.

Everything would have worked much better with a Majima act like in Zero, shoved in between the time skip, to show the problems that would ultimately be solved by Kiryu. My guess is that Kiwami works best as a 3rd act DLC for Zero.

OCD vestiges despite the fact you've accepted you're not 100%ing it. At least, that would be my case. Speaking of which, just ate and drank everything in Kamurocho but no trophy popped up.
I get very little mileage out of a good chunk of the side content and there's some, like pool, I won't even bother with. Also wish they'd recycle Shinada's batting mini-game for the cages, I ended up really liking that one.

For the longest time, I thought there would be something like that but with Nishiki.

How about playing Zero during the timeskip of Kiwami, for a first timer?

Got a PS3? You can play 3-5, possibly Zero and Kiwami too if you know moon. I myself am evaluating getting Kenzan and Ishin, untranslated.

Got a pc? You can emulate the first 2.

The virtua cop shooting section is fucking garbage

Kiwami really did well with Nishiki's life during the time Kiryu was in prison. Not only that, but also the final fight. The flashbacks in between fight segments was a nice touch, and really adds the punch that things can't ever go back for both Kiryu and Nishiki.
I agree with this. The game has a plot, but there were a couple of gaps that could have been filled in. Though another thing that I wish they improved was how they set up certain battles. The two brothers at the Debolah club boss, the matrix guy boss on the rooftop where you find Shinji, and some of Komaki's requests (ex. dodge bullets, and the four gods one) were annoying as fuck.

I've been revisiting older games to see if I'm missing any trophies and the only ones I was missing were 3 trophies in 4, namely the shogi, mahjong and darts trophies, I'm only missing the latter now and I don't understand how I'm supposed to aim the dart, what's the point of reference there? The top of the index finger? The dart? Something else entirely? I'm asking because sometimes the dart flies wildly towards the left or right, way off where I was aiming

I use the dart's tip for aiming, like if I'm aiming for a bullseye, I line the tip with the lower side of the outer rim.

Side note, I missed about 3 substories (2 done with Haruka), and I'm at the end of Ch11. I hope I haven't fucked up…

I actually tried your suggestion and after about half an hour I got a hattrick, thanks!
Also, concerning the substories, the only way you can fuck up and miss something is if you don't go all the way/lose in the Princess League, which I don't think is a substory anyway. Substories that you're missing can be completed after you beat the game and start Premium Adventure. The only thing that's a factor is if you want to beat Amon at a higher difficulty level as Premium Adventure returns the difficulty to normal.

My bad, should have clarified I'm talking about Kiwami. Managed to find one so I think that if I have Haruka with me on the finale, I might be in the clear.
5's not so bad because they're all marked beforehand; the only one that can be missed is the fight with Noa Amon which requires clearing all of the work board.

Oh shit. Yeah, in this case you're fine, I think that it works the same anyway regarding Premium Adventure where you can go and do stuff with Haruka, even in games like 4 where she isn't featured prominently.

I pulled through. Kiwami's Finale substories are tricky though as they require dropping Haruka at Stardust and a couple of them, that are interconnected, are in Purgatory.
And then there's Amon. I don't know if the difficulty affects (playing on Hard) it but I swear he's got about 14-16 HP bars; two phases of 7-8 each. Took me a couple of tries and 10 Toughness Emperors but I won by the skin of my teeth and did nothing but Tiger Drops and a Sumo Slap when I had the Heat. We get used to being constantly pecked to death but this guy comes in takes about 1/4th of our bar in one hit and it's not something slow and telegraphed either. Despite that, his move set is not all that crazy; phase 1 is Dragon with a unique move where he backflips and apparently throws grenades while phase 2 is Mad Dog on steroids.

So I'm ready to wrap this up at around 80% completion but looking around, the Play Log is much more detailed than the Completion List and I see there's a ton of Heat Actions I haven't found, many unique and there's still some Majima encounters I haven't found; these have categories like "Suddenly Majima", "Everyday Majima", "Hidden Majima" etc. Mini-games aside, I'm missing one from the Hidden category (traffic cone, taxi trunk and ???).

And something I've been forgetting to ask - there's a Beast Climax Heat move that I've no clue how to do even if the instructions are simple.
Sounds simple enough but I can't seem to do it. I know the bar has to be in the red portion but I'm unsure if it requires the string hitting everyone, if the number of enemies has to be exactly 4 etc.

been trying to do that move too, I coulda swore it was easier to activate in zero. Speaking of Zero playing Kiwami is giving me a big urge to replay it because the long battles in it were so damn good

>that fucking part in the nishiki fight where the last cutaway where you mash Triangle knocks his entire last health bar out in one go

sorta makes up for this not having "FEEL THE HEAT" moments , unfortunately after fighting majima a hundred times the fight itself was very easy even on hard

1000 hours in Movie Maker

I need to get back to it, grow a pair and dance all night long. Those Amons aren't going to pop up on the streets.

Meanwhile, in a post-apocalyptic world…
gematsu.com/2017/09/hokuto-ga-gotoku-details-toki-rei-airi

For the VA trivia:
Toki (voiced by Shunsuke Sakuya) - Kashiwagi
Rei (voiced by Toshiyuki Morikawa) - Shinada
Airi (voiced by Ryoko Shiraishi) - Mai (T-Set)

no matter how much i win i can't seem to get this to register

Holy shit, I think the fight with Jingu gave me cancer. What kind of numb skull would OK this? Getting fucked from every offscreen angle, bullets that come out sideways, grenades that don't need to explode to do damage and after fighting everyone in Tokyo, Kiryu now can't wrestle a gun out of manlet's hand.
This didn't just cross the line into bullshit territory, it got that line stuck on its shoe like used toilet paper and dragged it across the country.

Haruka is the true final boss of this game

its strange, they changed shimanos boss fights into somehting much weaker than i remember in the original but kept the very sloppy jingu boss fight in tact. Using a weapon helps a lot to stunlock his goons though

If they needed to go that route, they'd probably be better recycling Saejima's moves for Shimano. Shakedown is just too clumsy for a boss move set. Or make a hybrid.

Anyway, you were right about Nishiki. Disappointingly easy. Burned all my 10 Toughness Emperors on Jingoism and went into Nishiki with half HP thinking I was going to have to redo the whole thing but decided to "stick around" and try it out to get an idea. He got a couple of very weak hits in and got destroyed, his moves are very easy to sidestep and a bit telegraphed; I shouldn't have used Tiger Drop not even once.

76:33h and 80.7% completion. I should be grateful it didn't show my game overs; Yakuza is the Cuphead of 3D beat 'em ups.
And on my Premium to do list are the gravure videos. How do I get those? Beat Yui at bowling but nothing seemed to come of it.

For me i tend to become so overpowered from my love for sidquests that late game yakuza is pretty easy for me but i would bank that on hard mode kiwami might have given me the most game overs of the series, mostly because of those handful of goon-closet fights.

I thought i'd try to get platinum on this one since the trophies aren't as grindy as some of the other titles but i dunno if i wanna play legend mode if you have to start from scratch. first shimano encounter takes fucking forever when you don't have any skills and i bet his bar is even more bloated on NG+

Jingu was highly frustrating but overall, I do think the game got easier. Kiryu starts extremely weak, with no abilities, little health and very low damage output, particularly Beast (though it has received many good changes like being able to charge every thing it does like the grab attacks and the stomp).
I must have died about 7 times in the funeral. Ironically, Shimano was the easiest part because I'm used to very drawn out fights with Shakedown. The worst part was easily the car chase, I tried to git gud but the last sequence is so absurd I ended up accepting the offer to lower the difficulty.

Side note, does Kiryu have the Komaki techniques in Zero? I was playing a bit of it the other day and couldn't do any of them (Tiger Drop, Parry, Knockback). Majima's Mad Dog style has something similar to the Tiger Drop.

I've had to put down Kiwami for a while to keep on other things and once I finish the substories, tiger drop Amon's ass, use the overpowered canon on Jingu's fuck squad, and fairly beat Nishikiyama without counters I'm probably going to go back to Zero or 5 unless the climax battle prizes let me steamroll the new game plus.

Short answer yes. I do remember when looking up the style moves (I think it's the same as this game, triangle in ability unlock grid) that his legend style has block and r1 counters, but I think some of them require you to be in 2nd or 3rd gear to use them. The big thing is that Majima's legend style also has a r1+triangle counter that is one of those weird category of moves in these games that uses heat but doesn't require any heat to use in the first place, which is how I dealt with his Amon fight after fighting him fairly to his last two health bars.