Quake 1 thread

perfect games don't exi-

Other urls found in this thread:

rome.ro/quakes-player-speed-1
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

It's trash user.

but normalfagfag meme format does exist.

The bosses are shit.

But Quake 2 is better in every way except enemy design.

Quake 2 was terrible until mods fixed it. The sausage launcher wrecked what was some amazing aerial combat prior to Tribes and the railgun forced fights to take place at a distance rather than the more frequent VISCERAL COMBAT of Q1.
And Q1 was fucking amazing, way more fun than the metadueling of Q3. I'm so glad I got to play that at its peak. No one under 30 has any idea of what it was like and is just going to give some youtoober's opinion.

What is the best ambiance in the soundtrack and why is it this?

Had a lot of fun making maps in hammer for both quake and Q2

if it was perfect, why did I get bored by the time the final levels rolled around, which caused me to stop playing? is it because it's too fucking same-y? is that a sign of perfection? no

This is Quake 1's main downfall. It's a really fantastic game at its core, but the devs didn't really know what to do with it. In that regard, it feels like an inferior Doom (especially with lower enemy counts, so fights are padded out with even higher HP enemies).

you're speaking from nostalgia user

The enemies in Quake were the epitome of Romero's quote that "if you could do it in your previous project, you're doing it wrong".

The more chunky enemies required you to adapt to the map design significantly more than just run into a room and shotgun everything. You now had to duck and weave out of the way of the Ogre's grenade and also not get too close to him. It was a true 3D FPS in every sense of the word and it's incorrect to just compare it to Doom since it really did take advantage of the Z axis in a compelling way that Doom did not. It's still overly fun to go back to for that reason.

Also the game had this sense of flow to it, the maps were bite sized and the entire game could be completed fairly quickly, and due to how the higher difficulties dramatically changed enemy placement (to the point where the Shambler appears in one of the earliest levels a few times) it encouraged replaying over and over and trying to complete it faster. Because of how maps were less maze-like and were much shorter you focused more on action and less on figuring out where you were supposed to go like Doom.

Additionally there's a lot of somewhat shit design in Doom that Quake avoided. A good example is the over reliance on hitscan enemies

Like I now consider the shotgun and chaingun guys bad design. A big reason why the maps in Final Doom are much harder than people are used to is because the designers just filled them with these guys to the point where you have to slow to a crawl and gradually take them out. They end up slowing the game down a lot if you don't have any of the really powerful weapons like the RPG and even then if the designer put them far away enough they'll still be really annoying.

Likewise weapon balance isn't really there. Like the most powerful and useful weapon is the super shotgun and it's usually found really early on. It's so powerful and useful that there really isn't any reason to use anything else if you have the ammo for it. It makes weapons like the regular shotgun pointless. Likewise weapons like the pistol are useless.

In Quake though the only hitscan enemies are the first ones you find which are really weak and the Shambler. Everyone else fires some kind of projectile or jumps at you. The Shambler is notable though because he has a very noticeable wind up animation for his attack and he does a ton of damage if he hits you in melee. It feels much more fun to fight by comparison and doesn't slow the game down when you're fighting him. You're always encouraged in Quake to be constantly moving.

The weapons are also much better balanced. Like the single shotgun is made irrelevant by the double shotgun but it can still be used effectively to trigger switches. The double shotgun is your workhorse and is fun to use because you have to keep moving out of enemies like the Ogre's melee range with it. The nailgun/super nailgun are projectile based and overly satisfying to use on crowds of enemies and the rocket launcher/grenade launcher are intensely satisfying to use and necessary against enemies like the zombies. This is a big reason why Quake was really popular in multiplayer.

Fuck you janitor you piece of shit.

Tell me senpai.
How was quake1 duel different to quake3?

Where do i get this nowadays? i never played it

Piracy nigger fuck off

Don't even dare respond to the post above me.

You mean singleplayer? Shitty newfag, no one ever played through Quake 2 save to find the multiplayer option.

Are there Quake 1 mods that tell some kind of story, either through their environments or exploration, while not going fully into walking simulator mode?

If not can anyone suggest really well done mods for quake 1 in general?

Arcane Dimensions has one map in particular that has hidden tomes that give a little bit of backstory to the level, there are somewhere between 10-20 of them IIRC, as well as a hidden area that contains a brief insight into a secret order that lived in the city.

And yeah as far as really well done mods go AD is the cream of the crop, the actual modifications to the game are fairly conservative, but the maps are mind blowing.

Is there any links/torrents to just a fuckton of Quake WADs? I want to download as many as possible no matter how shitty, no category restrictions, just as many as one could possibly fit into an archive

Go to Quaddicted and check out the Quake injector, I don't use it but I'd assume you can just bulk download loads of them if you want.

ITT: baby duckling syndrome

Quake 1 was not my first game personally, but honestly if someone told me their first game was Quake, well, that would just be okay. I feel legitimately sorry for the poor souls who grow up and never experienced first hand the great games of this era until much later. including the sad underageb&

That's not true, Q3A is the best.

no, spear of destiny is shit.

Nigger I don't even play shooter games like some faggot with cerebrum cells sacked to make more room for brain stem. I play puzzle games, particularly those involving programming such as shenzhen.

What did he mean by this.
You're an okay guy.

I got bored 1 hours in. Duke 3D and Blood have less dull and boring levels. Medal of Honor and Soldier of Fortune 1&2 have better gunplay.

What am expert shitposter, such mastery of your art

Mate, Quake's original SP is nothing marvelous, look at modern fan maps if you want some good single player shootan.

Nah dude I don't really like Super Mario Bros.

Get the fuck out and never come back

Turn off the weapon inaccurate checkbox bro. It's great.

This.

Download quake injector from Quaddicted and then get every map ranked 5 stars.

The quality of the maps is utterly phenomenal and cements Quake as the best SP experience available today.

The recent map pack Arcane Dimensions contains over a dozen visually stunning and expertly crafted LENGTHY maps that are miles ahead of the original levels in terms of design, complexity and variety.

The only thing likeable about Quake 1 are the Ogres, who are well designed to take advantage of the 3D environment and fun to fight. Quake really needed a direct sequel like Doom got to double the enemy count and make bigger levels.

Quake 1 is shareware.

Can you leave cancerous Holla Forums memes on Holla Forums?

Don't worry user there's a place where you can escape from them.

All of the enemies in Quake are mechanically interesting and most of them take advantage of the 3D space very effectively.

This is the biggest appeal of Quake. You are constantly moving in the game

The game's smaller levels are a huge strength. It's similar to the appeal of Scythe for Doom. Small concise levels that you rarely get lost in that focus almost entirely on action. Smaller enemy numbers is also great because with the way Quake is designed it would be too easy to get overwhelmed if there were too many. You can focus on 1-2 at a time.

Why haven't you made a Quake map user?

what did he mean by this?

Quake is pretty good, but holy shit Arcane Dimensions fixed every problem I had with vanilla Quake. The few extra weapons/powerups and added enemy variety added so much and the levels take full advantage of all of it. Not to mention they have some wonderful atmosphere.

that's because there was no way to implement "hitscan" in the early Quake engine. Alot of quakes design was due to limitations in the technology. For example each texture was the equivalent of a single sprite, so they could not have swarms of enemies. Quake 3 was the first game (in the Quake series) to actually introduce a "hitscan" weapon. Also, using the Sergeant and Chain Gun Guy as examples of "Bad" design is just bullshit. In fact this "hitscan is always bad" meme is getting sorta tiered.

Anyone who complains about the small levels isn't taking into consideration the fact that the game is 21 years old and there were technical limitations preventing the maps being the size seen in DOOM.

rome.ro/quakes-player-speed-1

highly disappointing

why?!

But user, hitscan is always bad.

The army guys in Quake are hitscan, some of the weapons you have in the game are also hitscan like the shotgun/double shotgun/lightning gun. Not having hitscan was a very clear deliberate design choice with the game and was one of the reasons why it was really popular in multiplayer

This can also be said of Doom. I don't think having hitscan enemies/weapons vs not having them was that much of a technical limitation due to how Quake 2 had significantly more of this bullshit and it's why I consider it a much weaker game

Hitscan refers to when the game calculates a weapon hit instantly based on a line drawn from the player to the enemy. By this definition weapons like the single shotgun/double shotgun/lightning gun in Quake 1, the shotgun/super shotgun/Chaingun/railgun in Quake 2 count as hitscan because they don't use projectiles.

In Quake you are encouraged to stay constantly moving. You must keep moving to survive against every single enemy in the game.

In Doom you must slow down for specific enemies like Hitscan enemies and peak. Especially chaingun guys. They slow the game down drastically. There have been better games I've played that use hitscan enemies and do it in a more fun to fight against way.

In Duke Nukem 3D the biggest hitscan enemies are the pig cop, assault enforcer and the bosses. The bosses go without saying but the Pig cop is notable in that he has huge delay to when he sees you and when he attacks. He tends to strafe around and wobble before either standing still and firing at you or getting on the ground and firing at you. If you strafe around really fast you can completely avoid his gunfire. Because of this you're more encouraged to get out a powerful weapon to kill him really fast or use pipe bombs and lob them at him. This to me is much smarter design by comparison to Doom where you just have enemies that slow the flow of the game down.

The Assault Enforcer for instance fires the same gun you do but he doesn't fire it continuously, he fires in bursts. He also tends to jump around and also has a delay before attacking you. Because he fires in bursts it's also possible to avoid his attacks much easier.

Another thing with Duke 3D is the designers of the levels understood the roles these enemies had, they didn't just fill entire rooms of them like most Doom levels did. They added a slight challenge to the game while also not breaking the flow of it which is why I prefer hitscan enemies like this to the ones in Doom.

Hitscan isn't always bad, there's occasionally reasons to have hitscan weapons/enemies. It's moreso that in Doom's case I don't think it's very good design and much prefer Quake in this regard.

any version of quake that i should be looking for, or should i just download the first thing i see and just play that?

Just get the original game and download Quakespasm. It's a sourceport that keeps the game as vanilla as possible and just adds quality of life stuff like widescreen and support for running the OST off a folder in the game's directory.

You will need to fix the OST by extracting the music files into a directory in the game's folder.

I unironically think Brutal Doom is a massive upgrade to Doom, with one of the chief reasons being the move away from hitscan.

ops, my memory is fuzzy, it's been a long time since I've played quake 1. The Moral of the story is that Doom, all Build Engine FPS, Quake 1 & HL1 where the only good FPS ever made. Everything after HL1 was garbage. Their is nothing wrong with Hitscan enemies.
good glad we agree and there is no more needed to be said about the topic.

quake 4 and quake wars is best everyone no this

Quake 1 wasn't a dueling game. There were some popular dueling mods, mainly rocket arena played as a duel, but it wasn't the focus. It was all about the deathmatch and having to deal with multiple opponents simultaneously. Q3A was much more meta-oriented where it was all about map control and memorizing timers and routes. In Q3A there was much less of a focus on aiming as you'd have already predicted where your single opponent was likely to appear and so pros started using mouse acceleration. Q3A is also far less of a 'dance' - Q1 had very limited options for hitscan and complex levels with powerful rocketjumping so you'd often be fighting close to your opponent and flying through the level for a while rather than instantly railgunning your opponent as soon as they appear on the screen.
Q1 was a much better game. People like to /watch/ Q3A for the e-sport, but the community bailed to /play/ deathmatch games. It marked the end of the Quake series as the king of FPS.

I agree with this. I think UT was more of a deathmatch game and dodging added a lot to it

Also, don't forget to grab Quakeinjector, it's a great tool to find and install custom maps hassle-free.

I'm fine with hitscan enemies forcing a slower pace as long as it's consistent and doesn't come out of nowhere. The biggest issue I've got with sergeants and commandos is how they are sometimes used over long distances which pretty much eliminates both visual and sound cues. I agree with in that departure from hitscan is a massive improvement over vanilla Doom and pretty much solves the problem.

I remember this game.
It definitely game me an adrenaline rush, I loved it but it's not one of my favorites, it had the same problem Doom had, couldn't hold my interest after Episode 3. I just couldn't give enough of a shit to finish any ID software game. The early levels are good but then it's just same elements, different maps with little to no escalation.

It just bothers me thematically, especially the jump from weird gothic mixup of the first game to generic scifi

you're shit and so is your pokemon
i didn't have a pc to play quake when it came out

Get this templateshit out of my board
Check these dubs on the way

>>>/cuckchan/

To have better luck with dubs, you have to ask bateman for good luck.

Also, is it alright i prefer rough Quake 1 animations than updated smooth ones?

And yes

Asking bateman for luck isn't always means you always get dubs. He just improves chance of getting repeating digits.

Not sure if this is bless or curse.

That's incorrect it wasn't posted on 4chan

It might as well have been

Also check em

Now

Mods
Mods for quake where were its at. Runequake, Super Hero Quake (where you could mix abilties passive and active) there was even an airplane quake. Lets not forget that TEAM FORTRESS was originally a quake mod. ID released a huge part of the code for making your own mods. pretty damn cool

half-life is a heavy modified version of the quake engine.

Check em

Now

Now damnit

this desperate for dubs.
are you sure you're not the one from 4chan?

You're just mad because you can't get dubs

i bet you never even played quake? isn't there an for honor thread you should be part of?

Quake is great despite Doom being the superior game.
Thats not the issue here though
The issue is shit OPs bringing the board quality even further down.

Quake is great despite Doom being the superior game.
Thats not the issue here though
The issue is shit OPs bringing the board quality even further down.

For Honor is garbage an so is Siege and I've been banned countless times for shitting on them especially when they are/were obviously shilled.

Why did gou mention that instead of Overcuck though?

honestly because i had that webm from E3 i was going to say overcuck but meh

yes it is a shit START to a thread but there have been some GOOD discussions