Stealth Games

What is the greatest stealth game of all time?

And why is it pic related?

Other urls found in this thread:

thedarkmod.com/main/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Skyrim.

Idris Elba

Holy trinity of stealth games is Thief 2, Splinter Chell: Chaos Theory and Hitman: Blood Money

My man. Chaos Theory is my favorite game of all time.

even tho i loved the series as a kid, and i still think first 3 games are rly good. i must say that today, 3rd person stealth is disqualification for me.
And the obvious winner is Thief.
where is the thrill if you can see whats behind the cover when your character is fully behind it and would not be able to see what you see.
Except for 2 first thiefs, t2x and t1/t2 fms i dont think theres anything that has quality and immersion this high.

The strength of Thief's audio is enough to make up for it being first-person, in terms of the information it provides you. Even if you can't see around a corner, you can usually hear a guard's footsteps, and, if you take time to listen, you can tell which direction he's going.
Most other games, stealth or not, have audio design that is inferior to Thief's. It's a real shame.

yeah, thats a great point. I love this shit. Thats why lockpicking mechanism in the dark mod fitted me so well. if you dont know, its basically a sound puzzle.

Move outta the way you ostentatious fucks

No game will ever top sneak king as best stealth game

Is it like Oblivion's lockpicking? I haven't played TDM.

Is this game actually good, or just a meme?

A lot of enemies also make other noises so that even if they are on noiseless surfaces you can still tell their position based on their sounds. Some guards hum and whistle, undead and the tricksters servents in Thief 1 made noises, and so do the robots in Thief 2.

GENIUS!

Is Aragami any good?

you dont see through a lock. trying to pick each pin makes a looped sound, like in original thief, but with a brief moment when the sound changes, thats when u have to strike. its very immersive, its a minigame, but based on sound.

I would like to know this as well.

CT and DA had picking based on sound and, if you're playing on a controller, vibration, but only the two times when you can get captured.

my nigger you are fucking right

They were? I played them on console, and the easiest way to tell was vibration.
I actually think Thi4f had a really good lockpicking mini-game, because if you fucked up and tried to pick when the bar was in the wrong position, it would make a noise, and that could alert nearby guards.

WE WUZ SPIES AN SHEEIT

I use to love splinter cell but I can't stand it anymore. It shares the problem 90% of stealth games have where it's just too fucking slow. Few games hit that delicate balance where you're slowly sneaking around a guards line of sight or you're quickly dashing into a position before someone shows up.

kys

Maybe stealth games just aren't for you. Chaos Theory, in my opinion, does a good job with its pacing. I don't think it's even possible to do a "fast-paced" stealth game.
Can you be more specific, so I know exactly what you mean? Do you want more guards, guards that detect you easier, more unpredictable patrols? Just saying it's "too slow" isn't really useful. What's a stealth game that isn't "too slow," in your opinion?

Warehouse level in Thief 2. You cover 70% of the ground sprinting to get into position, and 40% slowly slipping around the guards. The level is so big and open you can sprint out of earshot in the shadows looking for an opening, then rush to it in your small time window before slowing down and sneaking around the guards. And really this applies to the majority of the levels in the first 2 Thief games, minus ones like the police station/casing the joint (can't be detected at all) and the bank (tile on the floor everywhere)

It took me forever to figure out when to rush and when to sneak in Thief, but there are cases where you can go at whatever pace you want as long as you asses the situation correctly, even if it means more risk. When I play splinter cell it felt like there where so many guards in such a tight area I was forced to basically crawl everywhere or just take them all out.

I see. Thanks for the response. So it seems like it's mostly an issue of level design, then. Chaos Theory (and the Splinter Cell games in general) definitely do have cramped levels–especially compared to Thief's sprawling ones. I should get into TDM and see if there are any fan-made missions that do what you're talking about.

one more thing

SNEAKING POSE
if you think sneaking in crouch position is the way to go, go on, try to do it, and count how many times your bones pop out loud.
is Thief the only stealth game with a proper sneaking, aka standing up.
easy way to spot a normalfag on twitch playing thief. they always crouch for no reason.
Crouch in thief is good if, obviously, ceiling is too low and you have to lower your body, when its the only way to move out of sight, on a ledge or something, or COMBINED with actual stealth button, to crouch slowly through a loud surface.

Looking glass studio did so many things right (except vine arrows imho) its mind blowing, even more that new stealth games dont rly learn from it, they go full casual (light/dark, nothing in between [like the crystal indicator], noise/no noise [not like different surfaces + different speed of walking over them making a difference], spotting indicators [they casualised that abit in thief 2 with cameras. in thief 1 cameras were not placed very often, but they could spot you instantly, which was nice]
i lost my point, but conclusion is, Thief is a deep stealth game and OBVIOUS, in my opinion, winner.

bad math

>>>/cuckchan/

Agreed. It's stupid. Most action games with optional sneaking just make you silent when you "crouch." (Their "crouch" also somehow cuts your height in half, which is retarded.) In real life, the only thing crouching does to make you stealthier is to make your silhouette look slightly less obviously humanoid. It's useful, but only in the dark, in camouflage, or at a distance. It's useful, but only marginally. It also doesn't make you quieter, obviously.
No, Splinter Cell does that, too.

Read the thread.

Morrowind also has a proper sneaking pose which is impressive because its not even a stealth game. Of course they fuck that up in later games as well

You also feel badass as fuck when walking up behind a guard.

What did he mean by this?

You see, he posted a game and then hid it beneath a spoiler. Thus "stealth game" :^)

I've been spotted

I used to be a strictly Metal Gear Solid fanboy until my buddy made me play Splinter Cell. So I like them both now.

Favorite Splinter Cell game would be Conviction.

Now I might take some shit for this, but my favorite MGS game was Metal Gear Solid 2. The main character was fucking retarded, but I liked the game play and the layout.

!

Play Thief.
W W E W
E E
W E W E W
E E
W E W W

I just want to play one more deathmatch.

Would a TPS, stealth or not, benefit from having places the PC can't see shrouded in black? So instead of just moving the camera around a corner or going into cover and magically seeing everything, you'd see nothing. Maybe move the camera real close to the PC when in cover.

reeeee

I think so, yeah. Or maybe have a peek out of cover button that risks you being seen if you want to look beyond the cover.
I honestly doubt anyone takes cover by having their back against the wall in the first place.

Thief 1 and 2 are must plays for anyone that likes the stealth genre, you can even get a shitload of hours from Thief 2 from the amount of good FMs out there.

Thief 3 is not bad at all, it kinda different from the older ones since the 3th person view and it's hub like world, also that the movement can be a little wonky at times beacuse of the 3th person view animations. It's recommended to play it if you like Thief universe and lore, but it's slight downgrade from the other ones.

I'm definitely going to give Thief another try when I play some stealth games later in the year. I dropped it at the Guild mission, but now I know about level skips so I'll probably just do that. Assassins was my favourite of the few I played.

What about this?
thedarkmod.com/main/

The thieves guild mission was introduced in Thief Gold edition.

Shinobido. Also once you've played enough Thief to know exactly how the AI works pretty much every mission is just sprinting through blackjacking everyone.

FMs is where thief experience rly starts imho

i can understand frustration with that mission, but its worth getting through

Its good, but lacks amount of content like t2
and trust me, best t2fm's will blow you away, better than original game
there is also T2X a fanmade 3rd game, over 10 missions, cutscenes in between etc.

MGS1/2 VR missions are pretty much exactly that, most of the fun comes from finding your own route and playing the hardest ones though,
Hold up mode and Elimination mode have some pretty fast and execution heavy stuff if you wanna be good, especially the quick nut punch from the back on moving guards.

HE'S PACKING

Thief TMA > Thief TDP > Styx MoS > Thief SotMA > Styx SoD > Thief DS > Splinter Cell CT > everything else

Personally I actually liked Styx MoS better than Thief TDP (not as much as TMA though) but I know I'd get flak for ranking it that way.

Personally I prefer the setting of SC over Thief. Also when I played thief around the time it released the controls were ass backwards so played something else.

Thief trilogy and Splinter Cell trilogy.

Double Agent was breddy gud too. It was basically just a (slightly casualized) expansion pack for Chaos Theory.

Also knives were insanely OP in that game.