Roguelites

Ok, so naming convention aside, I have like 3 hours of commuting to do a day on essentially empty trains and feel like I should fill the time playing some kind of roguelite (as opposed to game where I need to concentrate on story etc).

The thing is, I know these are grindy and timesinks (that's the whole point!). Which ones are worth getting and which do I play first?

My shortlist is:

Enter the Gungeon
Spelunky
FTL
Binding of Isaac (not sure which version there's like 4)
Nuclear Throne (is the dev an SJW? if so fuck it)
Darkest Dungeon
Desktop Dungeons

i never really liked desktop dungeons, but any of the others are pretty good

if you want something fast paced, go for nuclear throne or spelunky

if you want something at a slower and comfier pace, go for darkest dungeon or ftl

Spelunky is a no brainer in my opinion, it's simple, with good platforming and almost never feels unfair.

Enter the Gungeon was somewhat underwhelming at launch but updates have made it much better, mainly because now you aren't punished for using your weapons since you get ammo drops more often. My main gripes with it are lack of fun synergies, too reliant on snowballing (drop chance linked to damage taken) and loot pool cluttered with various shades of shitty weapons.

Nuclear Throne is a much simpler game than Gungeon and more straight to the point which can be a positive or a negative depending on what you're looking for in a roguelite. I enjoyed Gungeon more but both games are worth a try. It's locked to 30FPS and yes one of the devs is a huge faggot but to be honest it's probably quicker to list indie devs that aren't.

You forgot Risk of Rain which is one of the better roguelites released so far, it has enough different characters to keep it interesting for a while and items are really varied and fun to get. The level random generation is minimal but it doesn't hinder enjoying the game.

I've been playing Death Road to Canada recently, it's the same gist as Oregon Trail : you have to get from point A to B while getting a lot of random events and instances. Graphically it's a step above Risk of Rain but still pretty pixelshit tier (and even then I find RoR more aesthetically pleasing). It's choke full of ebin maymays and never takes itself seriously : it's sometimes funny but often grating. Its strong suit is the amount of content in the game whether it is in the number of unique characters, weapons, events or locations. On the other hand, I kinda dislike how much your success relies on luck, there's too many factors in a game and sometimes it feels like you were doomed to fail no matter what.

that's one way to spell casual shit normalfags have convinced themselves to play instead of Rogue whilst pretending they're equivalent in any way
protip: they're not
pro-protip:go full rogue or go home

Play Tales of Maj'Eyal, TOME4 in short, search it on google.

It's super fun and very welcoming to new roguelike players. Still fun even if you're a veteran.

Does it have characters from other games or something ? Wouldn't they get fucked in the ass for that ?

You can make your own characters so that you can start with them and find them as recruitable companions in the game, the screencap is from my created characters. You can't make an OP character however, just choose their traits and main abilities.
There's plenty of characters bordering on copyright infrigment though, there's a Jason-lookalike, a dude in a Garfield suit, a guy named Freeman wielding a crowbar, a Link lookalike and so on and so forth.

Holy shit, awesome rundown man, thanks a lot.

what if i don't pretend it's equivalent and i just enjoy a game genre that happens to be cursed with a name that triggers gatekeeping autismos?

To be fair I can't see how someone would think that a person playing Spelunky or BoI is looking for the same thing than a dude playing Rogue or TOME so that user was probably baiting (or is severely autistic).

You may want to "fuck it" most of those games then.

Tales of Maj'eyal Isn't fucking Working any more, 1.5.5 fucking breaks your game if you have Ashes installed.

Invisible Inc is fun for a few hours and I think it's the one roguelite you can finish in one go mainly because you start with an insanely overpowered agent as one of your starting two.

it worked just fine for me
maybe its just you

oh yeah ? then how come they named them 'rogue-like ?

I think that this "genre" should stop being called that, because Spelunky, FTL and Enter the Gungeon aren't similar at all, yet, they're all considered roguelites

Well, I've the Pirated GOG version with Ashes of Urok, and despite it working previously on other updates it simply refuses to open now.

hi

If you want a truly autistic challenge just pick Sword of the Star: The Pit

as far as roguelikes-lites go, its an accessible yet merciless that had me go down 10 hours long runs I only managed to finish two runs, one on easy, other on normal, in 188 hours playtime Most of the characters are locked behind a paid dlc wall tho, be warned.

The game is real good until you learn that its some space 4x that died and turned into shit rogue game.

The Pit is a full blown roguelike tho fam

Might as well mention Monolith which is kind of a mix between Gungeon/Nuclear Throne and Binding of Isaac, except actually good. It's also a 4/agdg/ game if anyone cares.
20XX is a pretty aight take on the what if Megaman X was a roguelite.

On the topic of light roguelikes ala The Pit and ToME, Dungeons of Dredmor is another OK one.

Sword of the Stars is hands down one of the best combat focused spess 4x games to date

(I assume you made a typo meant to write roguelite instead of like)

It seems pretty self explanatory to me, rogue-likes are games that play like Rogue which means :
Rogue-lites, on the other hand, are games that borrow only a couple of characteristics from Rogue which are permadeath and meaningful random gen, so you can have rogue-lites ranging from platforming games to FPS whereas when you say a game is a rogue-like you pretty much already roughly know how the game is going to play mechanically. I assume that is why the user you're responding to made that post : the genre of the game can vary wildly when we're talking about rogue-lites but there's not much leeway when talking about rogue-likes so there isn't any reason to put the two of them in competition.
That's the distinction I've always done between the two terms, I know it's sort of arbitrary (and maybe some of it is wrong) but it I've found that most people understand each other well with that which is the most important in my opinion.

Shattered Pixel Dungeon for Android and iOS held my interest for quite a while.

Just play elona +

That's why it can't be called a genre
It's way too fucking broad
Spelunky is a platformer with permadeath and random levels, Enter the Gungeon and Nuclear Throne are top down shooters with permadeath and random levels, and so on.
Calling that a genre is like calling every game with a timer racelite games, it's fucking retarded.

I agree that calling it a genre is a misuse of language but it's a set of characteristics that a game in a certain genre can have and unless I'm mistaken that's how I've seen most people use the term. For example I remember a few user have asked for an "FPS roguelite" or a "Racing game roguelite" and so on and so forth.
So when OP asks for a roguelite, he most probably doesn't really care about the genre but instead is only interested in a game having random gen and permadeath, no matter the genre, so he can enjoy small playthroughs of a game during his commute.

That fucking blows dude. Try Elona+, there's a thread up for it. It's closer to a real roguelike than a roguelite, but it's a long game with no permadeath that will last you a while.

Just play Dwarf Fortress, you fucking idiot.

When did this become reddit?

ToME

shht, we have to bait the casuals

What does elona+ add to elona?

when you started posting here.

Damn near everything really. Development on the original Elona died, some brave autists picked it back up. Elona+ is the de-facto active branch of the game, It's a similar situation with Cataclysm and CDDA.
Off the top of my head:

Tell me about it man. Sorry to get into IRL stuff or anything but I basically have to take the hit with the commute or my girlfriend (former fiancee) will leave me. We're already kind of on a break (although living together) since she u-turned on the wedding and wanted to work in another town but I'm trying my best to make lemonade out of lemons.

I'm technically commuting up to 4 hours a day to my old job, but just from a long way away instead of very close.

I need timesink games that require massive grinding to help.

I'm cynical, but she sounds like a disgusting fucking parasite who's probably cheating on you that you should rid yourself of as soon as possible.

My friends and family tell me this every other day.

Thing is, she makes me happy and I need to try and make it work. If it falls apart after that I can at least say I tried.

My older brother is a shell of his former self after he let the love of his life slip through his fingers by not making an effort when it mattered. I don't intend to make the same mistake.

Same goes for Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup. You can get both for free

No thanks.

Cut the thot loose for your own good instead of being some stubborn ass who thinks he'll be happier cause he's delusional from a one-sided love. Don't give her the satisfaction of ending it on her terms when she thinks the benefits are dried up so she can move onto the next sap.

is absolutely right. She's not the love of your life. She doesn't love you. And you shouldn't love her.
Do you really, truly, honestly think this woman is the love of your life? A woman who bailed on getting married to you and decided to "take a break" afterwards? A woman who forced you to move four hours away from your job just so she could work somewhere else? When's the last time she told you she loved you? When's the last time you had sex? Hell, when's the last time you hugged?
No, she doesn't. Every abuse victim will say that about their abuser, and they're all tragically wrong. She's a narcissist. She's manipulating you, and that skews your perceptions and your decision-making skills. You need to have faith. And you don't even need to have faith in us, asshats on an imageboard. You just have to have faith in your loved ones who are telling you the exact same thing.
Not if, WHEN. She doesn't care about you. She cares about what you can do for her. She thrives on your attention, the power she holds over you, and the material benefits you bring her. The word "parasite" could not describe her more accurately. And like a parasite in nature, she will take and take and take until you have nothing left to give her. That might end in her leaving you, and then at least you'll be rid of her. It could also end in her accusing you of rape/abuse and trying to ruin your life. It could even end in her marrying you - only to accuse you of rape/abuse and divorce you and ruin your life. There is no positive outcome at the end of this road you're on. It will all end in some degree of your life being ruined, because she will leave you for dead once she's gotten all she can squeeze out of you.
You won't be left a shell of yourself. You'll be so much stronger for this experience once you've gotten rid of that bitch. You'll meet someone new and learn what love actually is, not this disgusting bastardized version of it that you're experiencing. It will hurt at first, but you'll be better off, and you definitely won't be alone.

Get rid of her. Take her into the living room and tell her that it's over. Record the conversation secretly so that if she threatens to accuse you of rape or something, you have evidence that she's full of shit. It will hurt to do it, and it will hurt afterwards. But being rid of her won't ruin you. It will set you free.
user, I've read too many horror stories that go exactly like yours. I don't want to see you turn into another one before it's too late.

Sounds like you're a retarded faggot, mate.

So do hard drugs. Leave her, it's a one sided relationship. The longer you stay with her the more attached you become.
Saging because there's a board for this shit.
>>>/qq/

I shouldn't have said anything, I've derailed my own thread.

Let's just say it's a complex situation and that i appreciate you being well meaning but you're making a lot of assumptions.

Let's please get back on topic?

Sure thing. Best roguelites I've played are Spelunky, FTL, NT and that's pretty much it. Not a lot of games coming out.

That game got fagged up by the xim/xer/xobongo crowd. On the plus side, you can technically kill a bunch of tranny mobs.

No, dude. Listen to your friends and family. You dont want to bring a succubus into the family. They will resent her for damaging you and resent you for being so weak.

It already fell apart. She's using you for something. Rent, a good credit score, companionship until she finds something else. I dont know, I'm sure you can.

Stand up for yourself and have some self-respect and hold yourself to some base level of standards.

She broke off the wedding because of what? Work? That's not a reason to break off a wedding.

She broke off the engagement for presumably the same reason and down graded your relationship status from fiance to intermittent girlfriend.

That 4 hour commute? Bad for your health but good for her to commit infidelity. But you're on a break, right? That gives you both latitude to fuck around.

You should quietly move closer to your job/friends/family (in that order).

Clip related is how your relationship is going to end. Except much, much worse.

Learn how to farm, how to place and make beds, and how to brew ale.

Congratulations! You've now reached the level of sustainability needed for an exciting game of DF. The rest of the industries can now be learned by reading more, or experimentation, or you can just dump more into trades and make a totally pacifist fortress that has a tavern.