20XX

Better than mighty number 9 already.
igg-games.com/20xx-free-download-2.html
Some new megaman clone released this august. In a way its a mix between megaman and risk of rain.

bloom and glow - the game

I wonder if the retards making this game ever played X and realized half of what makes those games as good as they are is the care put into the levels.
I doubt something as good as Burn Dinorex's stage can be made by shitty procedural generation.

The animations are fucking awful (this tweening or whatever shit needs to die already) and the visual design is even worse. It's glaringly obvious that these people have no idea why old games didn't fill the entire screen in excessive effects and flashing colors. In a fast action game, visual clarity is fucking important but these idiots disregarded it entirely. When your graphics are so poorly designed that it hurts the gameplay, you have a problem.

My thoughts exactly.

You mean it was in early access? I bought it like a year ago and have yet to play it

And here is why we have so much of this.

it was 'released' (early access meme) a while ago, you can't just fucking describe a videogame by just saying "It's X and Y" you fucking nigger

what matters is the solid gameplay you graphic bitches, altough any engine can do sprites nowaday so hand drawn animation is way easier than spriting

how the fuck is this in anyway a megaman clone?

i fucked up i meant its way easier than pixel modeling

It seemed like a good clone IIRC thats why i bought it, i think some user was posting webms of it

Problem is I loathe roguelikes.

You know what art style is, right?

Roguelite means grindy, unbalanced and unpolished.

Like I already fucking said, the graphics are so bad that they kneecap the gameplay. There's a reason action games use a clean graphics style. When the entire screen is covered in flashing lights and bloom, the important parts don't stand out.

To add to the trips, if you remove bloom and glow from this particular game you will be left with shitty flash graphics right from 2000.
It might not be inherently bad, but is an indicator of low effort put into the game.
Bundled with glowy effects designed to try and hide it and being a "roguelite" you can instantly tell it's crap with no talent or hard work behind it.

And this is why i would never make a game for Holla Forums. I would get shat at for completely insignificant things.

Try to learn something instead of dismissing it as baseless and insignificant. Putting bloom and all these neato effects makes it harder to figure out what's what when the shit gets heavy.
Take pic related as an example, large, indestructible orbs that you have to dodge in tight corridors and vertical climbs, it's outlined very well, with no bloom or fancy lighting or an aura around it for show. As a result they're pretty fair when you're supposed to dodge them.

Not covering up all the attacks you have to dodge with a fuckton of blur and pointless flashiness isn't insignificant. As for the shitty tweening animations, it's obvious that whoever made the game is either incompetent or stupid, as they wouldn't have stuck that shit in the game if they weren't either or both.

But you want to talk about gameplay? Ok, and already said everything there is. The games they're pretending to be making a homage to were all about the level design. This garbage has procedurally generated levels, which is never a good thing, especially not in a 2D platformer/action game.

You're a fucking retard because your reaction to criticism aimed at something you like is to just cover your ears and yell about how no one likes anything.

If you can't do good art, make game visually minimalist.
Shit like classic roguelikes and Nidhogg (the first one) are generally praised in and outside of Holla Forums despite barely having any graphics at all.

>(((Early Access)))
>Called 20XX despite being based on X
It's worse than nothing. At least Con Man's miscarriage tanked his career and killed optimism for Kickstarter trash.

The camera really shouldn't be bobbing up and down when you jump if it's that zoomed out. Hate that shit so much.

That's an accomplishment?

It's shit.

Holy shit.

Hi, Yandev, how is the game going?

Tried it for a couple of hours. It gets unbalanced real quick, which feels like nothing the MM games did.

It's too convenient to just take an action platformer and call it MM inspired. Lots others games tried copying the formula, but weren't quite there. Like this one. Simply put, those games hit nirvana through method and luck. It's wishful thinking you can get it right just like them, wantonly by copypasting SOME elements.

That's probably the best thing this game has going for it really.

I agree with you, but thanks to so many doing minimalistic to compensate for that (or aping pixel art incorrectly)- it's harder to stand apart.

For those /agdg/ anons, I'd say decide if you want to put more effort into making a unique looking minimalistic style, or learning to make another style. You'll put in the same effort for both anyway.

That, or find an user who can sprite/draw, and/or pay someone to do parts you can't.

The graphics could've worked if everything lacked detail and was draw in Jewgoogle's Material Design because:
A) Shit colours
B) Tweening animation

Garbage graphics covered with bloom. What happened to indie games?

Cave Story tricked us into letting out guard down.

and with this i lost half of the interest in this game
is any good?
i tried dead cells because "its like castlevania" and got nothing but frustration out of it.

Cave Story being good is a meme.

Don't these guys follow Zoey Quinn?

shut the fuck up liar you are a shit i will kill you

Are you notch or something?

And this is why i would never make a game for Holla Forums.
Don't make it for Holla Forums make it for yourself. A labor of love will almost always create a product that is loved by others despite any shortcomings where as a fancy soulless product or a product made by pandering to many different groups or ideologies will invariably be a disappointment no matter how slick the presentation is.
Still if you're going to use pixel art then you need to follow the rules if for no other reason than to know how and when you can break them.

Are you implying that this shit isn't just the product of incompetent idiots trying to appeal to retrofags as well as the "rougelite" and esports audiences? It's blatantly obvious just from the trailer that the devs have zero idea what they're doing, to the point where even the average person here can point out how objectively poorly designed the entire thing is. Or are you saying that that is exactly what the game is?

The latter. I was also trying to be encouraging to user. pls don't billy.

Exactly why I hate shmups

YES
It's every bit as bad as mixels and rixels.

Shmups don't do that, though. Every bullet can be clearly seen, as well as your ship. Just because you're mentally overwhelmed by the amount of shit being shot at you doesn't mean they don't have visual clarity.

Red flags are the very definition of insignificant shit that is given the magical value of telling if a game is bad without you having to bother actually playing it. You're not saying anything substantial, you're just broadcasting that you are not pleased about a detail and acting smug about it. You are cancer.

Red flags are indicators that the dev either didn't care or was too incompetent for the aspect, and that lack of care or amount of incompetence is probably also reflected in the rest of the game. If a dev is too stupid to realize that adding bloom and flashy effects everywhere actively hampers gameplay, why should you trust them to not be stupid in other aspects of the game's design? If you see a rat in a restaurant, are you going to expect the kitchen to be perfectly clean? No, the rat is a red flag that the establishment is unsanitary and you might get sick eating there.

Oh my fucking god why is this repulsive ass cancer infecting such an obscene amount of video games lately?

Cheap replayability, easy padding, and it's popular. There are people out there who see it as a straight upgrade much like those who think "open world" is automatically a good thing.