Sad Endings in Vidya Thread

For a game that's almost all comedy, Conker's Bad Fur Day has a surprisingly sad ending since Conker wasted his chance to bring Berri back to life, and he's now surrounded by people he hates.

It's been 16 years!

fucked me up something fierce.

nothing else has ever struck me harder tbh

no ending felt as bad as the bad ending to The Witcher 3. that was a punch to the gut like nothing else.

I actually have trouble replaying the game because the entire setting, story and ending are all just extremely depressing.

Ninja Gaiden, NES. By late 80s standards, it was rather dark and pretty epic.

I cried at the end of these games:

Lisa was pretty fucked

Spec Ops was so terribly hamfisted that all I did was laugh.

Bad ending for witcher 3. Seeing Geralt being emotionless all game and then seeing his state at the end killed me.

maybe he cried from laughter, happens to me sometimes

Fragile Dreams: Farewell Ruins of the Moon
>find a nice robot backpack to travel with who then dies
>find a nice ghost lady in a hotel to help you follow the white haired girl but first you have to put down the ghost of a sad little girl who just wanted friends
>run into bro from amusement park again at a dam, turns out he's a robot and his power source has just died
>find the chicken merchant's home, turns out he's a robot too who's been making money to take care of a baby that's been dead for years but he's incapable of realizing it because of his programming
>Finally find the white haired girl, turns out she's a test subject for the system that killed all the other humans and released all the ghosts, and the guy who invented it wants to start it up again just to make sure no humans are left alive
>Your ghost lady companion turns out to have been the original test subject for the system because she was in love with the guy who made it, and she sacrifices herself to turn the system off so you and white haired girl can live together
>Epilogue reveals white haired girl dies shortly after anyway, leaving you to die alone at some unspecified time in the future
Fucking sad ass game

No it was genuinely heart breaking and intelligent, I teared up when I saw Walker's downfall. It told MGS5's demon story far better than MGS5 ever did.

If you mean hamfisted, an insult to the player's sentience, and milked for an oscar moment then yes, it's the smartest thing short of the big bang theory

Calling Conker's comedy is like saying a five year old making paintings on the wall with their own diaherra is comedy

That's why it's so fun.

I never knew conker was family guy.

I mean, it can be in the proper context.

Makoto's bad ending in BB:Continuum Shift EX

I won't spoil it because it's gotta be seen and heard but… Two words.
Brain.
Rape.

Fun fact, Conker was originally going to commit suicide at the end, but they wanted to leave room for a sequel.

I'm still amazed that Nintendo published such a mature game. I also hate it when people call Conker a platformer as if it were on the same vein as Banjo Kazooie/Mario 64 when it clearly is an action adventure game.

I'd recommend listening to the developer Let's Play where they explicitly address how they were trying to make a pure 3D platformer, but personally I'd agree with you, it's a genre mashup that shouldn't be pigeonholed into any one category.

why? Buddy lived and she got rid of the crazy piece of shit making mutants

Nier and automata, yakuza 0, and persona 2's eternal punishment ( and somewhat innocent sin) endings.

why the need to be edgy?
The ending was kind "ok guys we don't want to make any more levels so just make a meme ending and call it a day"
It would've been better with a grand finale and a build up pre-final chapter and a final chapter, but they went full retard with the writing. the stand alone chapters is fine but they fucked up by not having a finale. Look at Paper Mario: TTYD. the finale chapter closed everything up in one chapter. Conker could've done the same with some twist such as fighting the programmer or something, and the programmer outplaying conker at the end and only the audience knows the programmers are the bad guys. Then in sequel conker would convince all NPCs programmer is bad guy and have a big finale, interweaving character interaction with different NPCs.

but no, they went for meme ending.

How is it a 'meme' ending?

suddenly conker is king. end.

Did you understand anything about the message of that game? Suicide would have been a way more appropriate ending than what you're suggesting.

I dunno user, your ending looks way more meme-like than in the original. It wouldn't look out of place in a modern indieshit narrative game.

Wait what the fuck Berry died? I don't remember this

The classical trilogy was very uplifting.
You're crazy.

While I do feel that Brad did some things wrong, I have to admit I don't completely blame him for the actions he took. Brad had a hard life and wanted to make good by protecting Buddy by any means necessary to prevent her from living a terrible life.

Buddy turned out to be a terrible murderous bitch, and humanity(at least in that area) will die out in just a few decades because lolnowomen. Buddy was the worst. I thought Joyful was a complete slap in the face considering the actions you take in Painful. I wonder if Austin meant for it to be that way or it was another case of him doing something impactful by accident again. I miss Austin, by the way. Damn shame what happened to him

Megaman 2 & 3 had honestly sad endings.
As years passes by and you keep thinking about them, they only get sadder.

As for modern games, practically any game that try a serious/mature focus on anything has a very high chance on having a sad ending.

It starts as a meme buddy movie plot, it ends with Wang meditating about his dead sidekick's tragedy all Shaolin monk style.
"On his last night on Earth, Ark dreamed he was a bird."
Despite all your efforts bad guys blow up your mother's corpse, who turned into a dragon and dropped onto the entrance to Hell to give you a future. You can't totally kill the Devil so you follow her same steps and sacrifice yourself for your friends.

desiretoknowmoreintensifies.jpg

now conker is canonically a tranny or something

In a nutshell, his father died, he was in an emotional state due to this, and some SJW goths took advantage of this and turned him into the enemy.

That does actually remind me of this idea I had some time back for a Conker fan-sequel. The title was Conker Goes Nuts, and I maintain that name made up for everything else.
>There he finds the original Conker, who had been waiting for years for a chance to find Berri and wound up lost and mindless in the void
>He discovers that he and his entire existence is just an unofficial fan creation made in fucking Unity
>The programmers reward him by creating a new world just for him, filled with booze and flowers and a resurrected Berri
>But he needs to decide whether to accept this manufactured happy ending for himself, or give himself up to the void and let the real Conker take his place

I CAN'T THINK OF FUCKING ANYTHING WHAT THE FUCK WHY AM I UNABLE TO THINK OF A VIDEO GAME THAT MADE ME FEEL? I WANT TO FEEL AND I CAN'T HOLY SHIT THIS IS HORRIBLE
There was another thread about goose bumps in video games and I couldn't think of anything either. This is unironically depressing. Am I not playing enough video games? Do I have autism? Some kind of disorder that makes it impossible for me to get emotional with vidya?

I remember the ending to Silent Hill: Shattered Memories to hit pretty hard.
The game was a semi boring mess of a Wii game spiritual jumpscare remake, but for some reason the ending really got me, tieing it all together.
When the character behind the patient revealed itself and spoke out the her father, which then also turned to ice… All while that fucking A+ ass music played. Combine that with a pseudo analytical credits scene that measures your gameplay decisions and that repeat the same cinematics as the opening ones. Made me feel right out of nowhere.
Maybe it helped that I never played the original and had next to no spoilers about the story.

Witcher 3's bad end is pretty sad.

Naw.
You just don't get too invested in shit, and that's fine. It's normal to get jaded.

fucking metro last light

Persona 3's end was the only actual ending in video games I've ever felt sad because of. Too bad they're going to ruin it with their spin-off milking faggotry.

Is halfchan leaking again?

Hyperdimension Neptunia 2's Conquest ending is sad and traumatizing. It will actually stick with you more than the regular endings bc of the impact.

Nepgear killing all the CPUs and Candidates (even the little girls Rom and Ram) and lastly her sister Neptune to power the sword to kill Arfoire

It actually sucks that it has more impact than the good endings bc the requirements to get it are not something you'll get without a guide.

"if i call him a cuckchanner they'll never suspect me" , the post

This one almost brought a tear to my eye.
Think about it. Ness and his friends, after having fought a god-like enemy, put down their weapons and return home in peace. They likely won't ever meet again after they get home, and they won't go on any more daring adventures fighting bad guys. I felt the same way after Persona 5 for the same reason.
I guess it hits close to home for me since I haven't seen or heard from any of my closest friends after I moved away to college.

Conker was self-published by Rare. Nintendo washed their hands of it soon after it stopped being Twelve Tales.

"Guess the sayings true, you never really know what you have until its gone.

Gone.

Gone…"

That game is fucking brutal. I kinda wish there were more games that had its aesthetic.

There is a short manga that continues on from where the game ended, but it's still a bit vague

This game is specially powerful if you play it growing up, it reminds you of all the friends from your childhood that you'll never meet again.

I have this same problem, the most it stood out to me is when I saw people talking about how sad the Max Payne 2 ending was, but I hardly felt anything when I got to it.
The only game that's really gotten to me was Nier I think

goro majima had a hard life ;_;

emphasis on had

*majima didn't die in yakuza 0, or are you referring to how by the end of it he had pretty much put his entire past behind him** Because that would be pretty accurate since his outlook on life certainly improves from yakuza 1 onward, he's especially chipper in yakuza 2.

Still, was great to finally play as him in a proper yakuza game, its just a shame they don't show the first time him and kaz really meet

nice spoiler, faggot
but yeah, Majima is highest bro tier

Shame on me for fucking up my spoiler

why the hell haven't you made it

literally unliterally kill your self my man

Muh fucking Horse! Muh demon baby pecker Waaahhhh.

I didn't cry but hoji dying really did hit me in the feels. Holy shit what a good game.

The horse doesn't even fall at the end of the game, and doesn't even die, and wander getting fucked up is still melancholy. 2/10 made me reply.

EVO Search for Eden's ending is pretty sad, or at least a little unnerving. But only if you actually stop to think about it.
>at the very beginning you are told that it's all about survival of the fittest and you should be the biggest meanest fucker there is so you get to fuck Gaia Gaia herself never actually specifies something like this as being requisite for marrying her, I think
>by the time of pangaea and the apex of the age of amphibians literally the world just after you defeat the first boss, various inhabitants of the planet have already forgotten the purpose of their existence and have abandoned the very goal they were created to pursue to seek happiness or personal power over others. more and more seem to forget the purpose of existence as you progress through the game.

In other games you blow away maybe a couple hundred Russians. But by doing this you don't damn their families to literal evolutionary-scale generations of misery and pain. Maybe you destroy a few civilizations, but you tend to give more than you take.
Not in EVO.

I feel like the true ending is the former.

The ending to the first game is pretty fucked up too. It's heavily implied that Lisa, being unable to escape from her wrongful imprisonment with nothing to look forward to in her life but to get raped by her father, completely loses hope and hangs herself briefly after the events of the game.

The endings to the next installments reflect the first game's ending. The ending to Painful is appropriately bleak with Brad's gang members turning on him, him recognizing his adopted son, slaughtering his army, and beating him within an inch of his life only to have his adopted daughter tell him that she hates him, and (this is my headcanon) refusing to give him a hug when he makes it his last wish and then he's condemned to a fate worse than death, pleading for help from someone he never lent a hand to.

The ending to Joyful can be interpreted as Buddy repeating the cycle of child abuse and becoming a new Marty or the alternative ending can be seen as snuffing out the faint hope that the human race can avoid extinction.

She didn't have to die, Rick. You could have saved her.

holy shit that was dark

Those sorts of games hit me in a different way, since I never had friends during my school years and only gained them during my job and college and was blindsided by how people outside of school acted, because for me that sort of interaction had been limited to fiction.

School was prison, and friends were impossible. Persona 4 hit me hard at the end when I was a kid, because the protag simply had to leave his friends. The manga version of the character was also lonely because he didn't have any friends outside of Inaba either, like it was made for me.

This. If you picked the other ending I think it would be great for Conker to remain true as the elf servicing selfish piece of shit that he is and tell the player to go fuck themselves while he kicked the old conker in the nuts and leaves.

Also Ive been gone for a few days, what the fuck happened to the fonts?

I'd have stopped playing games for a year if I got that shit unintentionally.

Clearly, someone's never read Cat's Cradle.

Metro 2033 got a sequel?

Why did he have to die?

Without women, men don't have to aspire to be good. They go down their own nihilistic routes.

Buzzo sort of implied that there were other women, so there might be a chance. Not much of one, mind, especially if Buddy never changes.

So fucking what you cunt.

I'd like an update for lisa the joyful which makes it not shit

Probably, e-celeb faggotry was in another thread.

Only people that dont gitgud complain about Joyful

other then it's trash rushed story/characters?

Yeah and the game is inaccessible as shit because you either need to buy a censored Microsoft version or find a 20 year old box for cheap, and then buy a cartridge for at LEAST 90 dollars to put in your 20 year old box, because it doesn't work on emulators.

Perhaps it's better Berri stayed dead

I guess I have to finish that VN after all.

Here is a perfect example of reddit trying to fit in. Did you happen to see the other furshit thread and got the impression that everything with animals is considered furfaggotry?

LISA