Damn, how much does it cost to make this fucking thing if that's what you consider a reduced price?

Damn, how much does it cost to make this fucking thing if that's what you consider a reduced price?

I don't need 2d waifus to become 3d.

Dodged a bullet.

they're not really 3d, they're just rendered

More that second gen is still going to suck. Maybe third gen will be actually worth buying. At least 4, ideally 8k and super wide FOV are necessary, as well as actually good panels and 90Hz refresh rate, anything below that is shit.
t. pimax

VR is shit. How about less focus on retarded "muh immersion" gimmicks and more focus on fucking gameplay

Who the hell can afford that?

Nobody now, that's why I said gen2 is going to still suck and gen3 in 5+ years might end up being good. Although the chinks are releasing an 8k wide FOV headset, but it's going to have shit panels and low refresh rate, same as the P1.

Um…ableist, much?

4k screens have been a thing since 2003 and they're still far too expensive to become popular and require quite an expensive computer to run your games at good framerates too.
If you think they can somehow do what they couldnt do in 14 years in 5 while having your PC render two images instead of one on top then I really have no clue how you came to your estimate.
I'd say 10 years minimum unless an unexpected breakthrough technology appears.

5+ years includes 10+ years. 5+ years because the chinks are (probably) releasing their 8k HMD in one year, within two years of releasing their 4k HMD, and if they work some magic it's not impossible that they will put out a next-gen version of the 8k HMD that doesn't suck within 4 years of the first one. But yes, it will take a very expensive PC to render vidya at 8k 90fps.

I think the 4/8K 90 fps performance issue is going to be solved sooner than a lot of people think. There are already working prototypes for low latency eye tracking add-ons to the Vive. If that gets build into a headset, then you can use foveated rendering for massive amount of performance gains.

The thing that's really killing VR isn't just the price, it's the price combined with the types of games being made for it. With the exception of Serious Sam and that janky early access military sim, everyone is afraid to make a first person game with legitimate movement options. Developers all want to target the casual audience, because the casual audience is bigger than people who take games as a legitimate hobby. The problem is that the casual audience is only looking for 30-60 minute pick up and drop it type distractions. Targeting that audience, developers make almost nothing but teleporting turret/wave shooters, and gimmicky mini game galleries, because no casual is going to want to spend 4 hours getting acclimated to VR sickness. But at the same time, it's virtually impossible to sell a $400-800 headset to a casual when they can get a full console, or a 4K TV for the same price.

New types of expensive hardware always get their feet off the ground through enthusiasts, but the content being created for VR is largely aimed at casuals.

The problem of intuitively and comfortably controlling first-person movement without breaking immersion will never be solved economically, so VR will continue to be a niche of a niche primarily useful for simulation aficionados. Everyone else that buys a HMD will be wowed by a couple tech demos and then buyer's remorse will set in and it'll end up on Ebay or Craigslist.

jews

Even if this thing was 200 bucks why would you buy it?

For all the people endlessly talking about this, not once have I had a problem controlling any game with KB+M. You can immerse yourself in a game on an LCD with KB+M, surely anyone can do it with a VR headset too.

Yeah,I don't really see that as a problem either. The ONLY issue with these headsets right now is the low dpi which makes it very annoying to use for real gaming or as a general purpose display. As soon as someone releases an 8k headset that problem will be a goner too.

I want more devs to focus on controller controls rather than the black twin dildoes.

This is completely accurate. I was gifted a Rift for Christmas and it's an unbelievable struggle to find worthwhile games. 95% of them are complete trash from indie studios looking to cash in. The remaining 5% of the market consists of decent but criminally short games. All the games are overpriced by $10 to $20.

It's obvious that most devs are struggling to make the technology work with their game design. They still can't figure out how to make a sensible movement system, which is why most games are just some variation on wave shooters. Many of them have just given up and gone with a teleportation system, but that can be jarring to the player and breaks immersion.

I'll be interested to see how Fallout 4 VR changes the landscape, if it does at all. It's sad that the only major in-production AAA title for VR is just a rehash of a casualized mass-market shitshow from 2 years ago.

I would.

And I'm honestly fucking mad at Valve, they make billions in profits, selling the Vive at a low price at a loss was perfectly doable since they would make all the money back from selling games on their platform, but nah. Let's fucking partner with HTC and sell it for 700$, that's a great idea to get people to buy into VR.

fuck me

There already is one. Go play Alien Isolation in VR and see for yourself.
The big secret is sit your ass in a chair and use WASD or a fucking controller. People who get motion sickness are weak and need to overcome it - and yes it is something that can be overcome as motion sickness is caused by lack of adaptation rather than some kind of genetic defect.

The meme of standing up and swinging your arms in VR is retarded. VR's most optimal use is extending the game around your head in realistic 3D, while you're still sitting at your keyboard. It's more immersive than teleporting around for obvious reasons, and it's more immersive than walking around waving your arms with your headset on because you're not smacking into things constantly.

VR devs are making a critical mistake treating VR like it's its own platform. VR is a peripheral, nothing more. It's just a joystick or a set of pedals that you strap to your face - the function is different, but the scope of the device is just as shallow.

Tbh headsets should just be marketed as "360° screens" and geared more towards business and functional uses. It's hard to sell a gayman toy for $999, it's not so hard to sell a really high def monitor for $999.

i could see that for something not requiring a solid resolution, but as someone with a brother who is both a professional graphics artist and animator while owning a VR headset, I will tell you that it's not suitable for things that require pixel level detail. VR is cool to use and everything, but it has certain limitations, and it also appears "blurry" in a number of instances due to the way the system is set up and how your eyes work.
A multi monitor setup is very commonly used by graphics people, but VR wouldn't be suited to that task because of the aforementioned problems and the inability to see your keyboard and use the gajillion shortcuts you'd need.

The second part of it aside, the blur is 100% caused by the headset being shit (and potentially the supporting software being shit). What with having a 4k display I should be able to easily see details and read text, but Pimax relies on SteamVR and SteamVR arbitrarily decided to only support the HTC Vive's resolution, so I can't get 4k from anything on SteamVR, only OpenVR applications. And sure enough, the natural resolution of any non-4k headset is just way too low. There's also blurring caused by ghosting, particularly bad on my HMD, supposedly not as much of a problem on the other two. That's why you need it all, extremely low persistence, extremely high resolution, then you can start using VR for productivity.

Do you actually look at your keyboard when you type?

How about…a simulated keyboard?
Just make it so there's a box you can drag your keyboard in, and several models of keyboard to toggle, and it shows digital keys.
Same goes for the mouse, and if you have hand tracking gloves it could somehow mimick your right hand movements to an extent.

what a time to be alive

This! They should produce 360 degree software for stock trading software such as Think or Swim.

Consider how much a bloomberg terminal costs.

What a fucking retard.

We need more Triple A games.

The 3D (cyan and red) glasses actually make things 2.5 dimensional, just like doom, since all they do is add depth perception to 2d pictures.
The headsets make things as 3D as our eyes allow, by rendering two slightly separated viewpoints.

I told you so. I used to work on VR 2.0 (you've got 3.0) in the '90s and even with ridiculous hardware thrown at it like full CAVE rooms and 360 degree treadmills we couldn't get anyone to like it. You can throw 8k and 300fps at it and it still won't fucking work for anything other than sims as there's a disconnect between head and body that requires future tech far ahead of where we are today to solve.

yes except in the '90s you didn't have any anime loli diddling simulators

In the '90s we had child sex tourism companies run publicly in the US sending people to Thailand for that. We didn't need sims.

Most of the time no, especially not when you're typing sentences and your hands are already on the keyboard. Using Adobe after effects or other programs efficiently and fluidly require constant use of both keyboard and mouse, and some shortcuts aren't possible by using just one hand, especially not one hand while not looking. Has nothing to do with the ability to touchtype or lack thereof, anyone who's used these sorts of programs would know.

It's possible to do that, sure, but the workflow would be a great deal slower.

Just get a second job.

Do you frequently change your keyboard? Because all of those shortcuts are going to be committed to muscle memory inside inside a month of use for the average non-tech illiterate user. You have various anchor points all over your keyboard that you should be able to brush your fingers over and instantly know exactly where your fingers are and what keys are around them.

Because VR is cool as fuck?

I don't give a shit about how feasible playing games are with it, it was never supposed to replace monitors like some idiots seem to think. It was just meant to be a cool thing to fuck around with that could be used for some game genres which work with it.

The retarded pricing is pretty much the thing's only obstacle as far as I'm concerned. Eventually the headsets are going to reach a reasonable pricing and suddenly the things are going to explode as the latest fad. No doubt pissing Holla Forums off.

I could in like 2 months if I budgeted conservatively, the only issue is my bed actually would take up too much space.