The Witness of puzzle suicide?

What a welcoming surprise, It's a "The Witness" thread. The best line drawing puzzle game ever.

I really like puzzle games, and I really wanted to love this one, but something is wrong with this game. Everything looked nice, the puzzles where getting progressively more challenging while adding new mechanics, obvious, nearing cringecaust-level audio logs everywhere, and just a really good pace and sense of progression. Then, suddenly, it turned to the shittiest shit fest of all time.

Was this just my own isolated experience, or did any of you get the "fuck you treatment"?

YOU WERE WARNED OVER AND OVER
WE TOLD YOU NOT TO FUCKING BOTHER WITH THIS
AND YOU HAVE THE TEMERITY TO COME BACK HERE AND SHIT UP OUR BOARD WITH YOUR REGRET

Any good recent first person puzzle/adventures?

What's this "sudden" turn you're talking about? I'd say it was as disappointing at the beginning as it was at the end. The island was at least a pleasant place to be, but enduring hundreds of baby-easy puzzles with no single coherent difficulty curve was exhausting to say the least.

The last good first-person puzzle games I played were The Talos Principle and Infinifactory, and those were both released two and a half years ago. I haven't checked out Obduction or Quern yet.

You are now the official Holla Forums hive mind poster. Please just fuck off.

Yes, you should quit, if you don't like this kind of puzzle games. I can't blame you, it only get's better if you get lucky, and if you don't, it gets really annoying and fucking stupid..

The problem is the open ended design on the island. The puzzles are pretty average in difficulty, but if you want to enjoy the game, you NEED TO SEE THE EASY ONES FIRST to know how the goddamn mechanics work. But it's up to luck if you even get to understand what some of the symbols mean before you are given an unsolvable puzzle. You just cannot solve it because you didn't follow the invisible line that the devs wanted you to follow - such a great design.
worst design ever
Pic. related. This is when I gave up. Never even seen blue rectangles, this just broke my soul. And I had maybe 70% of the island cleared.

Year Walk is pretty decent you should check that out. Scratches isn't recent but it's also a really good first person puzzle game that not too many people have heard about. The first person puzzle game genre has been insanely casualized after games like Firewatch and Gone Homo gained tons of popularity. If you want to settle for just for some general good puzzle point and click games anything from Daedalic Entertainment is good.

its an inoffensive egotrip. I got it in a bundle and i got back to it every month or so, end up beating a few puzzles, hit a wall and take a break.

Last i checked i had beaten everywhere but the town, colour swamp and had a tiny bit of the shadow woodland stuff to go.

Since it reminds me of Braid like Braid i refuse to be a cop out faget and use any guides so progress is slow but satisfying.

I imagine if you dont like puzzles, buy it as part of the 'get hype' crowd of sheep and use a guide its as boring as input numbers on a spreadsheet and just as monotonous.

Its okay but i would pay like £8 tops.

Jeah, I was a bit too negative, so here are the parts that I realy liked:
I loved the sound-based puzzles, some of them were really clever. And the whole tinted-glass part was great, but short. The excavation mirror stuff a great idea but got really stupid in the end. Boat-house was dumb, and the Forest was just shitty, as was the Castle. I absolutely hated all of the terrain perspective shits.

The game turned to shit every time I ran into a puzzle that had some parts that I did not have any idea how they worked. So that meant that I had to explore somewhere else to find the easier tutorial puzzles for that symbol. And obviously this can escalate to pretty terrible pointless wanderings in the late game.
Still do not know what blue rectangles mean.

Obligatory.

Direct-linking an overrated reviewer is not obligatory.

In the Tetris puzzles? If I remember right they erased pieces of the Tetris blocks, you had to draw the Tetris pieces as though parts had been erased.

Welcome to Holla Forums

Shouldn't you europoors be getting ready for bed?

Why do you dislike him?

I don't really know what you were expecting, OP. But you only have yourself to blame for expecting anything in spite of the things listed throughout this entire thread.

Really hate that awesome shit like Tetris shares the same genre name with this fuckheap.

Great post. Keep the tumor growing.

Though luck for me. There are hollow blue blocks and solid ones. I have zero idea how they work. And I looked everywhere. Probably just missed them somehow. Anyhow this brings me to my actual point:

The pacing is fucking horrible in this game. You can theoretically do the big puzzles in any order, but not really. The map in the boat is the only clue to where the different kind of puzzles are found, but still you need to do most of them in a very specific order to understand fully how they work. I thought for the half of the game that you need to pair the colored blocks, but only 3 hours, and 200 puzzles, later I found a tutorial that told me that you only need to separate them. Great. Just.

Friendly reminder
Jonathan Blowjob internally referred to this project as
"How little gameplay can I put in while still getting people to like it on the grounds of it being deep"

Going to have to check that one out.

Your post is so mellow that I cannot say anything about it. Maybe try midnight podcasting.

Well, you know how it goes: Like puzzle games, try some big hits, land on "this shit", game is fine, but with insane flaws. Designed by a puzzle designer and quality tested by "literally no-one".

Well, I sure got fooled by thinking I was playing a "simple puzzle game". Oh no, it was a "deep puzzle game" all along. How silly of me.

Gonna finish this game tomorrow, and if this thread is still alive might post "results". Cya.

I guess I'll have to survive without groundbreaking, insightful commentary like this.

That's an issue for sure, but it bothered me more how many puzzle groups were based on one-off gimmicks that never, ever came up again. Like the ones with the apple trees, or the ones with the shadows, or the hexagonal ones with reflections. It's like he looked at the drawing board of ideas and just decided to include everything.

You still paid for a game that was literally developed to be bad and overpriced.
I don't know what you are feigning to be so proud about.

End your life.

Did you watch a video for 8 seconds and then dismiss the creator because he compared two games?