Indie shit worth playing

So, I finally decided to give indie shit a try, mostly out of curiosity, I usually ignore those because I don't like the business scheme.

I started off with Space Engineers, seemed like a nice concept, I always wanted individual scale space game and the engineering side looked interesting.
The performance isn't great, but the game is playable (at least on SP, I didn't buy the game, of course); The AI is rather dumb and repetitive on their behavior, the gunplay is stale as fuck, movement is alright. The game is clearly incomplete and -considering it's been in development for years- I really doubt it will ever deliver a proper game with some sort of progression and/or goals to strive for.

I moved to Haydee aka the THICC simulator. The game feels cheaply made, but it works alright and feels more complete than Space Engineers. With some adjustments, it could be a cellphone game.

Lastly, I also tried BeamNG. This was the most interesting one. While still far from being a game and seemingly having some performance issues, it really has some interesting technology to it. It is on a similar situation to that of Space Engineers, but with genuinely interesting and unique features. Worth giving it a try, specially if you get it to work with a wheel+pedals.

So far, I'd only suggest trying BeamNG to anyone who is really into cars. The other two aren't worth your time.
Any suggestions? Other than the well known ones like Terraria or Risk of Rain.

Other urls found in this thread:

igg-games.com/freedom-planet-free-download.html
superhookgirl.noob.jp/download
igg-games.com/tiny-and-big-grandpas-leftovers-free-download.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Cave Story+
Freedom Planet
Owlboy
Shantae Risky's Revenge
Shantae and the Pirate's Curse
Shovel Knight
Shovel Knight - Specter of Torment
Spelunky
Wonder Boy - The Dragon's Trap

Odallus
Wizorb
Mercenary Kings

If you get Cave Story + get the translation patch

KERO BLASTER

But you should Try Pink Heaven and Pink Hour first before playing.

Factorio

That shit is so good, I completely forgot about it. Might even play it again.

Looks like furry bait, but pretty good on the gameplay side. I'll give it a go. For anyone else interested:
igg-games.com/freedom-planet-free-download.html
According to Steam, that's the latest version

Looks a bit slow paced, but might give it a go someday.

Both on my "pending to play" list already.

Good games, already played them all.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Is that a Castelvania game? Looks really nice.

I heard Momodora was pretty good. Is it?

Off was pretty good

people recommend LISA a lot too.

Speaking of Shovel Knight, is King Knight playable yet?
Pharaoh Rebirth+ is my recommendation.

It is, but it's pretty short for a metroidvania.

Exanima

Odallus is pretty cash

This is what I've got to offer, they're all pretty different and some may be weird. I'd torrent before buying.

Guys, what's the Indie game coming to PS4. It's Japanese themed and has you fight old styled yokai, but also is a farming simulator. It's old style japan and it's beautiful

I also have these that looked pretty interesting when I found them, but I haven't yet tried any of them so I can't say if they're good or not

Orwell looks like some leftist shitshow.

I haven't finished it, but what I played boiled down to tracking personal info of brainwashed university students that got pushed by a professor to do terrorist attacks against the government.
Dunno if it gets leftie after that.

I think I may have spent too much time here.

Not sure, but are you talking about Sakuna?

REEEEEEEEEEE FUCK YOU

what's wrong with butcher

I hate the graphics.

Strategy/Base Building

Exploration/Survival

Dungeon Crawlers

Possibly not an Indie title

Night in the Woods

Off is a very typical RPG Maker game in terms of gameplay, storywise it's so-so. Lisa tries to not be an RPG Maker game as much as possible so the gameplay ends up being more fresh and interesting.

Is there a man in those woods?

I kind of want to play this to see if anons complained for nothing or if it is actually bad.
Some people that I actually usually agree with have said they really liked it so I'm not sure

Just look at some footage of the "game" and you know enough.

(crucified)
Nice half an image you got there, satan

Go back to watching lets plays pls

I don't know why that happened.

That's a great game. One of the few survivals that actually evolved toward being a game rather than a big sandbox.

I haven't tried those two and I was in the mood for some open world stuff.

I wanted a game with good gunplay and enemies, kind of tired of playing CoC over and over again.

Also coming out on PC apparently.

Subnautica is really cool and slowly but surely coming closer to its release. Sadly it still suffers from some pretty bad performance issues.

I will probably download it tomorrow.

Another good indie shit is Kenshi. Flawed, but clearly made by someone that likes what he does.

Agreed, Kenshi is hard to get into but it's worth it.

We'll
battle brothers is a good strategy mount&blade style game
Dark wood is a spooky game with cool design
Tokyo 42 and 2dark Ive saw some videos on jewtube but haven't tried it myself seems cool
Project zomboid is the apex of zombie survival game, they should aim to always be this autistic pity the dev if a fraud

Does Rabi Ribi qualify as an indie game? If so, get that.

She managed to be almost as bad as Chloe from Life is Shit in far less time, that's pretty impressive.

It was always primarily for PC, just the usual PR shit from sony to make it seem like it's exclusive or some stupid shit.

Speaking of, Fairy Bloom Freesia by the same dev is also a very neat game.

That doesn't sound bad.
We all had that one friend that did stupid shit and dragged you to do it too.

every time this shit game gets mentioned I feel physical uncomfort, no other indie game has done that to me, and no other indie game has disappointed me as much as NITW does. Hell, I'd go as far to say no game has disappointed me as much as NITW has.

love this game so fucking much. worth the price even in it's completely unfinished state

what the fuck

Translator being a fagget

saytenn is some SJW who runs wikis for a lot of rpgmaker games, I'm pretty sure his patch doesn't actually do anything but appeal to his agenda.
he's also an ex anti-sjw but he was just as annoying then apparently

Cat Quest is surprisingly not shit.

If you have a sturdy computer and a minimum of 8GB of RAM there's Kenshi, it's still in early access but shows promise so try before you buy, leaks memory so don't play it for too long.
If you're into platforming, some dodging, and mixing and matching effects for your attacks there's Magicmaker
Alien or Zombie Shooter, preferably Alien Shooter.
Darkwood
Keeping an eye on Outbreak: The New Nightmare, most recent early access garbage and made by devs trying to recapture the feelings of Resident Evil Outbreak and the classic survival horror genre.
Those are about the only indie games that are worth a damn for me.

Don't… don't kid yourself. I finished the thing in a couple days, and I have so many complaints about it that can't be justified by "it's a game for kids".
>The main story quest ends with the villain sacrificing himself to summon his dark master, and that's it, that's the end of the story, now go explore and finish whatever side quests you haven't done yet and we'll never address that the ultimate evil is free on the land

Everspace, roguelite space dogfight. it even has VR

I'll repost my OC and say Tiny and Big is pretty good for a couple hours' fun. Anything by Locomalito or Daniel Remar is also worth playing,

It is very fun, but it pisses me off that with just a little more polish it could've been a classic. It's just janky enough not to make it

It's the perfect leftie subversion simulator, just don't tag the right-wingers :^)

Also gonna bring up Enter The Gungeon, it's roguelike shit but I think for the most part it strikes a good balance between the value of health and damage output.

Coupla games that haven't been mentioned yet. Keep in mind some of these are games that I like personally, and as such they might not actually be that good, just ones that I like for some unfathomable reason - know what, I'll just list those off first right now.

Nothing

Dubs thread

You're so fucking harsh on a small indie game holy shit man.
I aint saying you're wrong, except I like music, but do you even enjoy video games in general?

my fucking nigga

You're a nigger.

La Mulana
Environmental Station Alpha
Pharaoh Rebirth
Elliot Quest
Finding Teddy 2
Hollow Knight

Dont actually buy it, but crypt of the necrodancer is really good.

I really liked You Have to Win the Game and it's sequel, Super Win the Game.

Rabi Ribi is trash. kys

Dead Cells hasn't been mentioned yet, though it being in Early Access (and rightfully so) can be off putting to people.
Best fitting labels would be roguelite metroidvania. Since it's a roguelite I find it being in EA isn't as bad as it could be for other games and the content that is currently in it feels really polished. I've beaten the last boss a few times and had some fun, now I'm holding off on playing until it has a decent chunk of new content added.
At least worthy of pirating if you don't want to support EA stuff.

Dust: an elysian tail

stay salty

Seconding this, but you need at least some degree of autism to properly enjoy it.
I've played almost 500 hours of it.

Doom.

Seconding Flight of the Sages. I also really liked the music.

some indie 2D puzzle games:
-Toki Tori 2 (do not be put off by its childish atmosphere, this is real nigga shit)
-Full Bore
my nigga
-Snakebird>13264731

Shit, I totally did forget Salt & Sanctuary. I think it's because I can get into the immediate "rush in and combo fools into the ground" type games more than the methodical strategic souls-like combat. Still a cool game though.

I've got my whole list of better indie games right above you. And you know what? I forgot to mention Cat Quest's side mission to summon the hero of the studio's phone game, who goes "download our phone game" and then leaves.

That's the crux of the problem, see. The studio makes phone games. Cat Quest is a phone game with a PC port.

Yes it's a rougelite, but it's one of the few that's tolerable. Looks like pixelshit, but has incredibly pure and well-realized gameplay. Great for 30 minute bursts

Speaking of indies, darkwood seems to have finally come out. Is it good? im downloading it right now

Prison Architect is finally maturing, has some deepness to how and what you want to make via programs and intelligence. You can be an absolute dirty handed cunt or attempt to be a proper correctional facility. You can even use temperature to push the screws if you set your parameters for that. It's really shaped up more than I thought it would.

I got it for free and never touched it

I know how that is. I finally looked at it again and it's pretty close to what I hoped it would end up being. I missed if they cucked out like everyone but they used to and still make video games. The horrible part of it is some of the kikestarter prisoner bios. I'm not sure if there's a mod to remove that LOLEXD shit or not. I hope so. I keep meaning to check.

If you want some comfy, try out Salt. It's basically an open world ocean game with islands to explore. The art of it is inspired by Zelda's Wind Waker which is okay, I guess. The combat is tricky, the dodging in particular, but once your timing is down then you don't need to block which is gew.

Don't expect too much hand holding on where to go for stories, you have to figure that out on your own with a compass, sextant and map; no queer quest markers.

Me? I enjoy filling out my map with every location in this game and the fishing and treasure hunting is enjoyable. Super comfy.

Multiplayer has yet to be implemented, despite the typical teasing jewery of the devs. It's not dead, at least. They do update.

Other than Subnautica, it's the only game that can get me to play for hours. Everything else in this day of age is just too shallow and boring.

Slightly OT but they're both indie and one of 'em's worth playing:
Project Zomboid
Rimworld
What made the difference?

People

Just recently the devs hired on some new staff to tackle the performance issues. Now that they're on Xbox 1, they really need optimize for sure.

Space/Medieval Engineers (pick your flavor)
Risk of Rain
Terraria
Starbound is actually pretty decent nowadays, it's come a LONG way
Euro/American Truck Simulator

It reminds me of an old Newgrounds game.

Playing ETS2 right now, took a shortcut by going on the incoming lane and drove 130kms on the side of the road while blasting finnish music.
Don't ever buy those games, they're good but the developers are yids.

I bought a racing wheel and pedal combo just for those kinds of games, makes them so comfy to play with your favorite soundtrack blasting away in the speakers.

Single player:

Trine 1 and 2 (but not 3)
Apotheon
Magicka (1 and only magicka 1)
Dark messiah

Multiplayer:

Natural selection 2
Skullgirls
Red orchestra 2

Been having my eye on a game called Heat Signature. It's not in early access but the devs give copies of the game to people for them to test it out. Basically it's a game where you go bounty hunting with a small ship and board big ships and deal with enemies in a Hotline Miami fashion while also being able to take control of the ship's systems.

Sounds neat, but is it 2D or 3D?

Isn't that the 3D one? I hadn't played it, how come?

Here's one for you… Trine 3 is 75% off for the 3-pack. Because of this, it's cheaper to buy Trine 3 in a 3-pack than it is to buy it as a single copy. Do developers not think about these fucking things?

It would be 2D

Ah, not interested then.

I got the first two trines for free, so I don't think they even care and just want to give away the first two trines.

Probably because it's based on a series of Newgrounds flash games.

Beautiful Aesthetics with sub par gameplay.

Don't buy into early access though, pirate the last two ones to try them and wait for release.

I second medieval engineers. Unfortunately with over 700 hours in space engineers (put in at it's early days) I cannot recommend it, due to the direction the development team has taken.

However, medieval is pretty great.
Still no competent AI though.

Pics related are of a half finished town I've been neglecting to work on. Moar?

Yes, moar.

the Momodora series

its OK, just play the original for free
unfinished game
Great game
Duck Tales (NES) is better. But if you like Duck Tales then SK is worth a go.
the original free version is the best version tbh, The HD version has no soul. But a fun game
just play the original on emulator for free

Wizorb is good

its not really that good. Sonic 4 was better honestly. But Fur fags sure love to shill for it.

^all shit

You Have to Win the Game was fun but I didn't like the sequel.

moar
I just want space engineer's survival mode to be not-shit. When they get that right is when the game will go from shit to broken gem ala a slav a game.

Yeah. I want NPC's and AI, and their stations to give a life to the game. Missions to undertake now that i've built the ship I want, etc. Like the station in the first story mission, but with things to do in it.

I think freedom planet is what the 2d sonic games would have evolved into if they kept being popular.
I think it's way better gameplay wise than sonic games.

Stop being a faggot with brain problems. Original recipe RO will always be superior, it's just not populated. Settling for RO2 is not an excuse.

So I actually went to the Play NYC event yesterday, big showing of different indie games. And some of them we even pretty good. Most of them were just meh. Some of the ones I liked were

Should've met up with (((Mark)))

:^)

Rule the Waves.

So instead of playing relatively unknown games you play some shitty mainstream popular games. Played by shit like totalbiscuit. What you're doing is the equivalent of someone saying. "I wanted to give triple A games a try and only played skyrim call of duty and spec ops the line".

Man, if I knew he was going there I would have brought a cake.

While I wait for this to re-download, do you think you could go into a little more depth regarding it? Last time I played I spent hours planning out my prison and watching videos, only to find that the game was shallower than a kiddie pool, gangs never did anything and had no functionality, there wasn't a temperature function period, the chances of a fight breaking out was essentially a dice roll, and you'd have to deliberately lock 200 prisoners in a single cell for months until one started getting a little annoyed. Also a gorrilion other little bugs like metal detectors being offset and only working half the time. Any of that been fixed?

CrossCode
Monaco
Butcher
Crimsonland
Neon Chrome
Nuclear Throne
Spelunky
Noct
Mother Russia Bleeds
Party Hard
Okhlos
Papers, Please
Teleglitch
Ziggurat

Banished.

heres a free PC exclusive that uses just the mouse. great music, really challenging levels and great mechanics. There's 3 games, 2 platformers and 1 RPG.

They're short, simple, sweet and fun.
superhookgirl.noob.jp/download

I'm guessing you already got it downloaded.
Shit, I forgot to enable that. The random events option doesn't seem to have thrown anything at me yet. I've still been running into a few bugs, stuff like workers stopping responding. Odd one happened when a new arrival up and killed a worker and somehow the doctor got stuck carrying the body around, was kind of funny since it looked like they were in shock. Not so funny because firing and hiring a new one is a bit costly and seems the only way out of that situation. It's definitely still not perfect but the bullshit seems more rare now.

Caves of Qud
Polished roguelike with strange world. Good character building. Neat tiles. Also optional save-load mechanic. Dev releases updates almost every week. Seriously worth checking out.

Legend of Grimrock. The second one in particular is very good. Legend of Dark Witch are Megaman-ish side scrollers with something as rare as competent pixel art in the modern age. They get fairly challenging by the time you have to go through the mandatory boss rushes near the ending. I thought they were 3DS only but it turns out they're on PC too.

While I would also recommend Banished, the vanilla game is sorely lacking in depth. Luckily for PC master race, there's mods.
Colonial Charter for all your content needs. Really, that shit makes it a hundred times better.

I respectfully disagree. Duck Tales is great in many senses: you can still remember its five levels and its music and bouncing everywhere, but the endgame was lame. Shovel Knight's endgame is awesome.
Also, Duck Tales is only of the games SK copies. SK has a lot of CastleVania III on it plus a variety of items that are more 16-bit like.

I really, really hate the inconsistent graphics Shovel Knight has.
On one hand you have barely animated 16 bit bug enemies and in the same level not 30 seconds later you meet Griffons who look like something out of a psx sprite game in animation, design and color.

The Swapper is a pretty alright puzzle game that has a soundtrack that ranges from ok to really nice piano piece. Going on to old shit there's Survival Crisis Z, which was made by the Charlie Murder guys I think, and the original I Wanna Be The Guy, which compared to the modern shit that it inspired it's actually pretty tame. Duck Game, a fun with friends one, which was supposed to come out with a new update and for ps4 today, got pushed back and limited to the UK store for now respectively, probably because the creator is both Canadian and Super Gay.
Also play Tyrian 2000 right now it's fuckin free

BallisticNG is REALLY good if you like playing Wipeout. Hell, you could call it Wipeout 4 from how well made it is.

I've only had it for like half a year

Also your red/green assembler ratio is unbalanced

Feels bad.

You are a liar and a pleb. I bought that game and it is among the worst $12 purchases I have ever made.
Boy, I sure do love keycard "puzzles" and constant button prompt tutorials.

Update: Duck Game finally came out stateside and I think I'm one of the only five people playing it on PS4 launch day.

So since I backed the Shantae kickstarter, I got early beta access to the new side story DLC where you play as Risky Boots. And I know it's DLC, I get how some people think the new game wasn't as good, but I have to say: Risky Boots mode is so fucking comfy.
It's the grappling hook that does it for me, I think. It's the simplest excuse for a grappling hook - it shoots straight upward, hooks you to the ceiling, then it lets you move back and forth along the ceiling - but it feels super organic, and it works perfectly with the level geometry.
You know how vanilla HGH had a bunch of skills that barely got used at all? The spider dance was used maybe three times, and one of those times was to get a spider-related achievement. It didn't do anything that couldn't be done better by the bat or harpy. And the bat had a special ability that was only necessary in one room in the entire game.
But without the unlimited flight powers Shantae has, you really need to be strategic with your limited skills. And it's really easy to get that great fucking grappling hook feeling after a while.

Ah shit, you know what game I almost forgot to mention? Deadly Tower of Monsters.

Honestly, just about any of ACE Team's games count, but I do like Deadly Tower of Monsters.

I have enjoyed the EA for Book of Demons Like the art style and the gameplay is good for what the game is

Is indie a meme word now or does it still mean independent developer.

i really want to play crawl but i have no friends irl

gangs still do nothing, weather & temperature is completely ignorable, and the game itself is still a 'draw lines and then wait for some more money' sandbox. granted, now you have to treat high-sec prisoners much better to prevent riots, and fights seem to be less RNG and more focused on actual preventable mechanics. also, it seems they've fixed the bugs with off-center metal detectors, tables, lockers, etc. the new 'staff needs' system is neat, adds another layer of complexity, but again is negligible if you have the very basics. the game still lacks anything to make it more fun than an autistic pattern-maker to play for a couple hours.

of current year EA games that are worth at least a pirate so far I played
despite the cancerous advertisement, the core gameplay is extremely solid
its a vertical 2d base builder revolving around colonist needs and life support
grid movement, social stealth and time-travel based puzzles

didnt record any webbums of the other games

forgot to mention Get Even, its a mix of stealth shootan and walking sim

hyper light drifter is visually really something else but the combat is just ABSOLUTE FUCKING DOGSHIT which makes the whole deal even more sour than it already is
its also capped at 30 FPS for no reason whatsoever

Throwing in my recommendations for Cave Story and Iji.

I loved Iji, most certainly the best indie game I've ever played.
The only thing that disappointed me is that while the game's story takes a lot into account, it doesn't take into account who you kill.
I thought it'd be interesting to try a playthrough where I only killed Tasen (since they had no problem with genociding the humans) and none of the Komato, but the game just treated me like a regular old killer.
I heard it got a big update recently, I wonder if this has been addressed?

It added a lot of shit like non-lethal modes for every weapon, a new ending, some non-lethal ways of dispatching bosses, and some changes to the story and consequences. Replay it if you haven't already.

Cosmic star heroine.

Its pretty niche so don't buy it for your videogame Facebook friends.

Does it play like chrono trigger well enough? I was thinking about getting it

care to explain ?

early access nigga

Alright these acronyms are just GOOH. There's Early Access, Electronic Arts, Epoxy Adhesive, and a whole bunch of other shit EA can stand for. AFAIK you're just doing a BEG. Either way, let's get BOT. I'm bringing up TSSS, a really old platformer/action game. It's not that bad but it'll make you CYA quite a few times.

are you completely sure its me being retarded here?

I heard there was also a quest about the neighboring "Dog Kingdom" that ended in the game straight up telling you "Hey if we make enough money you'll get a dog Kingdom DLC". And apparently some quest that the "reward" is directing you to download the studios' phone game.

What are the best platformers? Metroidvania's are fine too.

Vagante is pretty good, similar to Spelunky but with archetypal fantasy warrior, mage, rogue classes.

Spelunky
Underrail

yea but i didn t read op in a while now, i am just checking new comments here.
but fair enouth

It is one of the first breakout indie games and remains one of the best.

it would be like leaving trine 2 discontinued around the time you defeat the dragon and meet rosabel

Both of those things are 100% true.

I can't believe this shit costs 5 bux.

jesus, that game was something else.

Lovely Planet.

Excellent challenge-FPS based on overcoming obstacles and accurately hitting various targets while moving. Stages don't take more than a minute to complete but they can take dozens of tries to complete and hundreds of tries to master.

I JUST WANTED THE DAMN NULL DRIVER

Meant to reply to

Too bad, now you need to play tiny and big. That game is fun as fuck

I'll see if I can nab enough steam shekels in time.

igg-games.com/tiny-and-big-grandpas-leftovers-free-download.html
Also appearently Sky Rogue is finally out of EA. Has anyone played it, is it any good?

Thanks doc

If it's any consolation, they unfucked the game a while back and now there's a 60 FPS option. Sucks that it took them so long, but still.

Sky Rogue is pretty good. But I have to admit, I haven't gotten that far. Mostly because I get lazy and undergo unplanned lithobraking.

Oh, and the mods are fun. See pics.

Oh, I forgot this one.

Ive been enjoying Age of Decadence lately. It's a CRPG that is possible to get through without killing anyone.

They were the beginning and the end.

Shadow Tactics is good as hell

Mad Games Tycoon isn't bad.