Quality graphics

Why can't we have good graphics in this decade?

Other urls found in this thread:

c0de517e.blogspot.com/2016/08/the-real-time-rendering-continuum.html
youtube.com/watch?v=DbMpqqCCrFQ
youtube.com/watch?v=4uYkbXlgUCw
myredditnudes.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Because all the talent was chased out of the industry to make room for woman, and trannies.

That stuff is pre renderee and based on 2D sketches

Because of marketing practices memes.

Next thread.

Back then I understand, but what keeps stopping today's graphics and art lead teams from recreating those old pre-rendered cutscenes and official 3D artwork?

Our modern day PCs can handle things far more detailed to render in real-time than the OP images. It's the year 2017, what's stopping them now?

Bad graphics trends. Stupid shading and useless post processing effects like chromatic aberration taking up all the processing power, development time and public focus.

This thread is gaaaayyyy

Because they would take talent and time, elements that don't really exist anymore. It's all about the high poly count now.

c0de517e.blogspot.com/2016/08/the-real-time-rendering-continuum.html

We do, but they're exclusively in AAA games that you don't like.

EXCUSE ME

WHY THE FUCK IS RAZIEL WEARING SHOES

Because muh realism

Razi sportin dem new tims

They look more like fancy shin protectors.

Too much of a focus on realism, not enough focus on character and composition.

That's a pic from Defiance I believe.
Since in that game, you don't shift realms just out of the blue but rather via corpses, you could speculate that these are just someone elses laigs.

So he loses everything else, but keeps the shoes?

Well those shoes look harder to pull off than, say, some kinda gloves.

Because the industry is full of untalented hacks.
Because the industry is full of women.
Because the industry is full of trannies.
Because the industry is full of socjus types who cares more about virtue signalling than with quality, innovation and technology.
Because the industry is entirely in the pockets of console and videocards manufacturers.
Because the industry is pozzed beyond salvation.
Just let it go.

Sonic Mania has good graphics.

the western industry*

Consoles.
Always consoles.

the western civilization*

You do realize that Soul Reaver was heavily gimped for consoles right?

yea man just look at all those high end PC games that aren't console ports from the past 10 years

there's crysis from 10 years ago

I know this is bait but still
it's like you don't understand the problem behind console limitations in the first place and how they chain into pc games

its like you don't understand the reason no one is making these games is because they don't sell enough to justify their own existence.

Tech spec masturbation / tech demo games all sold well, even the lesser known ones and even console specific ones, hell Star Shitizen was basically sold on that premise and raised fucking 150 millions so there's peopl;e who would spend money on that even now.

not well enough to justify catering to a very small fraction of PC gamers. Now they only sell well enough to justify their existence on consoles, which is why all the best looking games are console games right now.

No they can not. They can look almost as good because of new software tricks but we cant render the same images at real time.
t. render farm operator

We achieved ps1 cinematic graphics this year.

Considering console games still can barely beat Crysis as of right now, nah.

Lelling out loud.

If PC gaming is getting cucked by consoles then it's hardly a master race.

Do you the PC to use its vast resources to kill the consoles?
They can do that, same way anyone can kill the middle east.

Somehow still better than Andromeda's facial animations.

Because those are prenderes CG portraits that look nothing like the in game graphics.

Why do they do this.
Has there been any A, AA, AAA and S game that stopped following shitty trends? Why are we still working with polygons in this decade!!!
Why isn't the lightning and animation never good inside the game?
Why did everyone throw textures out the window? We can have 32Gb memory in GPUs and 8-12Gb is already the norm.
I hope 2020-30 isn't as shit as this decade. Goddamn having to wait 10 years for things to stop taking a downtrend. I feel raped. These wounds will not heal even if 2020+ is good.

you have shit aesthetic taste

From what I've seen, we've hit a sort of ceiling to graphic intensity; the last big shock we've had in graphics were maybe Crysis, and that was years ago. You should be more concerned about artstyle. DoW III, as huge of a blunder it was, had really nice visuals and cool-looking combat (not to be confused with genuinely good gameplay). That's just one example I can think of.

Why can't we have good threads in this decade?

Make one.

I remember when Soul Reaver came out and being blow the fuck away by the graphics. A lot of those games look like shit, but I can say that game had some of the best graphics on the PSX and still holds up pretty well today.

Now games only have amazing graphics but the gameplay is hollow and unoriginal, the characters vapid and cliche, the story shallow - written like a teenage fanfic. This doesn't include all this forced retro-pixelart shit that drives me up the fucking wall, typical hipster trash trying to get money out of nostalgia when then never even played an NES/SNES/Genesis game because they were still a glint in the milk man's eye at the time.

Because muh realism

No loading times, one big world. Something incredible.

Good art direction > graphics

I'm afraid the next trend with indie devs after the low-poly graphics will be PS1 FMV tier graphics games so they can rake in some nostalgia bucks.

don't worry that's going away
retro-early 3D shit is starting to replace it

dishonored 2 has some pretty fantastic looking graphics

Could I just say this is a shitty responce to have since we have PROOF that developers were able to make good graphics at one time? "Good art direction > graphics" is a throw-away response that people, who can't draw for shit, make to say that their game "still has merit". We're two generations past the point where graphics shouldn't be limiting companies.

Graphics are indeed still limiting companies though. Graphics will not stop limiting companies for a good time as new developer trends tend to use more and more intensive techniques that require more processing power.
Plenty of games still have performance issues they don't fix timely or at all, I think that's proof enough. Some devs work around this by making their games simple to begin with, which saves budget both on optimization and on artistic work since there's less art to make, and I consider that a valid thing to do.
From one of the images you posted, SH3 definitely made some compromises to achieve that graphical fidelity.

Sorta happened already.

Reminder that we have the technology and run pic related easily on the absolute vast majority of mid-range systems (PC) and that developers have unironically not a single relevant excuse as to why their games look worse than pic related.

You're a fucking autist who doesn't know jackshit about game development or how much texturing and modeling and photoscanning actually costs
Fuck consoles. PC should always be the main platform. A console release is never an excuse for bad texture quality.
That's because the developers are utterly fucking worthless talentless fucking hacks who didn't spend a single nanosecond on optimizing the game.

The pics bellow are all photoscans running on UE4. They run great on 60fps even on mid-range computers straight out of the box and with more optimization run even fucking better.
Yes, they technically are. Running in a game engine.

The example megascans you see around the web account for the environment and not much more than that since they're just meant to show off the collection of photorealistic images they were able to obtain. The ability to apply that fidelity to videogames depends on whether or not other graphically intensive things are going on at the time, like moving models, draw distance and post processing effects.
Says the angry autist.
Tell that to the gaming industry. I too would love ideals to be real but we can't all be children living in a fantasy. You have to think realistically.
Same as above.

I JUST WANT GOOD VIDEO GAMES AND GOOD GRAPHICS WHY CAN'T I HAVE THOSE SIMPLE THINGS IM NOT EVEN ASKING FOR MUCH

I said before on this thread that I blame bad and ugly trends in developing graphics. There are plenty of unnecessary and stupid post processing effects going on that the devs focus on and put developing time optimizing for instead of going for things like the photo realistic images you posted. I don't think photorealism works for every game out there, but there certainly a lot of games that would benefit from that approach.

We can have all 3

I read your post lad and I agree with what you said

I think 'red and white checkered shirt' needs to be added to the Cuck Uniform list if it's not already on there.

I blame companies pushing for the 4K meme before we could use the newly gathered processing power on actual higher graphical fidelity or more dynamic game worlds.

Platform has shit to do with aesthetics and effort involved.
I find various PS3 games from nearly 10 years ago more detailed and pleasant to look at than shit from today.

Unlimited Point Cloud Dartar for videogames is almost here, the future is now and it's running on just a regular CPU.

youtube.com/watch?v=DbMpqqCCrFQ
youtube.com/watch?v=4uYkbXlgUCw

meh, if it's fun I'll play it

i mean i didn't say it doesn't look fun, it just exists

Fair enough, yeah there are some games going the PS1 graphics route and if that catches on it might make stuff a bit harder for the walking simulator hacks.

this thing has been in a development for last few years and has a lot more content since the trailer

btw there was another shooty game in the oh-we're-so-1996 lowpoly assdeadick called STRAFE, but unlike Dusk it's a repetitive procedurally generated piece of shit with dumb enemy hordes just rushing at you, so it's not difficult to fuck something like that up either. Doom WADs generated in OBLIGE are more solid than that.

Oh this fucking guy is priceless, nothing moves, no functionality, all hideous all the time flycams, it still looks as shit as it did 5 years ago but now it's got skins and an impractical, sub-par, flail-like-a-retard whack-a-mole game on top, marrying this to VR is just the perfect bullshit package.

there are several examples of animation from 11:06 onwards

do these fags need more aussie grant money?

Dude and the voice acting. I will say Kain series always had some of the best voice acting. Loved it so much, with blood omen, I used to sit and play all the descriptions in the inventory over and over again

Because those images are a pastiche of pre-rendered graphics and 2d hand painting. They posed the 3D assets, traced over it and painted/shaded it over to make it look better.

Also, lighting and shading effects that cannot be performed in real-time on consumer hardware even today.

Do you have a Mega, user? Because I haven't seen anything out in the wild since the pre-alpha back in 2014.

how would trying to be as as close to reality in graphics result in having worse graphics ?

I'm fine with PS2 level graphics tbh. Anything else feels like its distracting me from actually playing the game.

Because your graphics will be instantly dated in short order. Look at every sim racer ever. GT3 is practically unplayable by modern standards.

Better to have a solid aesthetic and art style, as that holds up better over time.

but with that mindset shits like owerwatch/lawbreakers/stillborn are pinnacle of graphics. And for example hl2 went with realistic graphics and it still looks fine today.

user, HL2's graphics look like dogshit, even compared to something like Metal Gear Solid 3. Why? Because Metal Gear Solid 3 has an aesthetic design and artistry, and HL2 has Muh Realism.

Don't put words in his mouth. None of those qualify as a SOLID artstyle, and even so they will look better in ten years than your average realistic graphics today. And HL2's graphics fucking suck by modern standards.

3d graphics or 2d graphics?
i might bring back 2d graphics for a very small glimpse

You've never heard of the uncanny valley? The closer you try to get to real life, the more your brain notices the problems rather than piecing together the unrealistic parts. Your brain accepts cartoony cartoons more than realistic ones, at least at a certain degree of realism.

This is a problem not just in computer graphics, but also robotics. I swear, one of the main reasons we don't have robowaifus yet is because companies are too stupid to make anime/disney style sexbots, or straight up sci-fi robot looking sexbots, and instead keep trying to make realistic human looking ones, which just look scary as fuck.

>>>/robowaifu/

even if that was true, which it isnt somebody post that picture comparing hl2 and horizon zero dawn , what happened to pushing boundaries further ? why do games have to stay relevant for decades ?

yeah I heard about it but only in robotics, not in pc gaming. do you have any examples of uncanny valey in games?

also real doll does pretty good job in creating waifus, too bad they are not robots yet

fuck you, there are plenty of "true scotsmen" to pick from faggot.
Even fucking dishonored tried the "realism but kinda cartoony" shit and it worked out miles better than pixar rip off #294832

you are not really helping your case here.
and is pic related supposed to look good even by todays standarts ?

You mean these graphics? These flat, bland shitty graphics?

Come on you know that's on minimum

No, it isn't. That's Max settings circa 2008.

You're pathetic.

try again user

Pic Related looks much better than any "Realistic" game from 1999, user. Aesthetics and art style ALWAYS survive better than fucking "Muh Realism"

Every game that's attempted realism in the last two generations. The only thing is we've been trained to see them as laughable here on Holla Forums. For scary examples, just look at Tom Hanks in The Polar Express. I guess the game of that would probably count.

Consoles and devs. Consoles are holding game tech back several years because normalfags can't figure out that PCs are cheaper long term than consoles, and the devs are at fault because they can't learn to optimize their games to push graphics tech further without making the game barely able to run at 60fps.

We should have photorealistic graphics by now but the games industry has become so polluted with retards that care more about how many niggers and faggots are represented in their companies we have been pushed back several years. Same with all tech really.

it looks like low poly low res dogshit to me user. colorful, but still like a dogshit. And I think we are missing the point again. "muh realism" is about moving forward and pushing games further, not about dwelling on them for decades. On the other hand "muh artstyle" gave us hipster shit, lots and lots of low effort hipster shit, blizzshit and other cancer.

user, even most pretty big budget CG isn't photorealistic, let alone the common vidya.

The Video Game industry and Hollywood have a lot in common actually, so that's a good comparison. We don't have good things from either because they're both run by kikes.

Shit movies like Avatar and Toy Story 3 need fuckhuge rendering machines which use obscene amounts of power and take literally hours to render a minute of footage. Photorealistic real time rendering is such a fucking meme it's ridiculous. That kind of tech is basically magic compared to our hardware capabilities.

I want underageb& to get out

I'd love to see some good low poly games but that game is trash. Fucking hipsters are like AIDS. Most low poly shit is abused just like Pixel art was abused. I'd much rather see a "utilitarian-minimalism realism" for lack of a better term. And I don't mean something that sacrifices aesthetics but uses the minimal number or polygons to convey and object adequately. Take for example the Low Poly furniture being added to Daggerfall Moders. That work genuinely looks good. Somewhere around the range of late PS1/PS2 work but with higher resolution and non of the ugly Anti-aliasing or filters. Unfortunately Indishits seem to just want to use a Low Poly aesthetic to excuse their laziness.

You have terminal shit taste. Also realism contributes fuck all pushing games further, the visuals of the game does not further the most important part, gameplay. The only instance realism has ever helped games is maybe physics engines. And if we're gonna dwell on whether realism or artstyles have had worse effects on the industry, I'd like to counter your argument with every military brown shooter ever made.

Damn, low poly is all about the texture work isnt it?

that is bizarrely cute

why? because I never played your nostalgia turd?
jesus, it really feels like Im arguing with someone who plays overwatch

There were loading times. They were disguised as hallways that weren't in the PC or Dreamcast version because PSX was fucking archaic by the time Soul Reaver came out.

Tell me how realistic graphics makes games more fun, I'll wait.
try making an argument next time.

hey you guys used it too and first >muh realism
okay, spilling realistic guts with realistic physics and blood/liquid mechanics from blowing a shotgun round in a guys belly in a doom like game sounds more fun than some usual boring death animation

What, exactly, is that worth if the game plays like shit and runs at 10FPS because it's optimized like shit like every other modern game?

Would be boring as fuck. Bodies would fall over limp and blood would splatter/pool all over the floor. Big whoop. Have you never actually seen someone get fatally shot?

wew
Why would you want realistic physics in doom? Seriously I could even get behind realism for autism sims like Arma, but you chose a shit example.

Like real life?

Absolutely. Look at Marvel vs. Capcom 3, the game looks fantastic, but the models are actually super low-poly. You can't even tell during gameplay though, since the textures are so damn good.

To a large degree texture work is very important. Good LowPoly work has alot of crossover with Good Pixel Art. Which is why I am lamenting it being butchered by IndieShitz

The fucking ASS

Megaman Legends had some of the worst anti-aliasing of any game I remember.

Any time you see a game with that fucking smartphone text box and font, you know it's complete dogshit.

Growing up I always though Raziel was pretty cool

Nigger, the PS1 had no AA. That's why I actually like it. AA on 320x240 results in a fucking mess.

yes, i don't know what Quack is and you absolutely can't roughly compare it to a console of that era released about a year earlier

Read my post
Photorealism is already achieved, but never used in vidya because muh consoles

this
anti-meritocracy quotas remove anyone of merit