What jrpg to play

How do you guys choose what vidya to play? What if you choose wrong? Those damn jrpgs are long as fuck, if i choose wrong i might just lose a lot of time playing a boring game.

Hint: you don't have to finish the game just because you started playing it. If a jrpg still sucks after 5 hours you can probably move on. You can also skim through a lets play to see if it looks interesting at all.

But user, most jrpgs are like anime. They only get good in the middle. First part is usually 10 hour long tutorial with few starting villages and bosses with no special abilities or any difficulty. And tons, TONS of dialogues that introduce you to the story before any proper gameplay.

Unless its completely terrible and irredeemable then I'd probably just power through it to see if it picks up or just so I could say I cleared it.

Than dont play games

Pic related is for you.

Skies of Arcadia.

Pretty much this. JRPGs work on the same "Three episode rules" that animes do. If it doesn't have your interest an hour and a half into it, don't feel bad for dropping it.

There are also a lot of cases where knowing certain details ahead of time can actually make a game better. You might want to read the plot summary of a game that didn't interest you to see if there are plot threads later in the game that will peak your interest. For example, learning about Oersted turning into the main villain in the semifinal chapter of Live A Live is what convinced me to play through the game after I had gotten bored early on. Knowing what was going to happen in that chapter made all the foreshadowing and events beforehand stand out even more.

I want to point out that some of my all times favourite JRPGs start like complete fucking garbage and I had to endure lenghty periods of time before the started to not suck.
I mean the only JRPGs I played and likes that start strong outright are FF7, Phantasy Star 4 and BOF4.
BOF4 being fucking pinnacle of the genre overall.

Don't take that gamble. Leave videogames behind

Moero Chronicle.
It's got lewd monster girls.

Play legend of mana.
Use a guide to figure out the fucktarded mechanics the game is trying to halfassed explain to you.

Its a breddy good comfy game with exellent music hand drawn beautiful scenery and A good storyline. Also Secret of mana 3 for the snes is a gem the interactions the dialogue depending on starting party members. The class change feature. The interactions depending on party members and the fact they bothered to make so much dialogue is why its nice and comfy.

Also FFTA although get a mod for it if you have played any kind of tactical game to not die of boredom.

Agreed. The same thing happened to me when it came to SMT: Devil Survivor. The whole "survive for 7 days" plot was boring as fuck for me, which made me drop the game the two other times I attempted to play through it, but when I got spoiled of the **Becoming the king of bel* subplot, the whole thing became way more fun for me.

good jrpgs are like a comfy sofa or bed to lie on and just be lazy and get instant gratification.
It can be nice and emotional or just comfortable, either way jrpgs are a challenge and the reward of clearing a challenge fills you with self-fulfillment and confidence. when you finish a game and you don't want it to end is when that game is truly good and you truly enjoyed it.

If you're fan of jap games play Metal Max 4. It's better than square enix games and gaytlus games. I love killing the boss around world and customizing cars and weapons.

This game starts strong and is my favorite JRPG of all time

Fucking around foreign exotic country looking for princess is not good introduction?
This is blatant lie. More than half of the entire game is optional.
The fuck is interesting cast then?

I wanted to like BOF4 buit the horrible localization ruined it for me. It's definitely on my backlog of "games to play when I finally fucking learn Japanese" though

What's wrong with its localization?

Most of the game is spent mucking about, and the plot is solved in the last ~hour. I felt robbed of a good arc re: princess capture, but it was entirely dropped partway through and picked up just in time for the end of the game. It also didn't help that I predicted the whole fucking thing

The bosses are absolutely piss easy, but then also have the gall to just waste your time. If you want a challenge then SaGa (RS on PS2) and SMT3 are a good place to start, and they don't make you wait 3 million years for your goddamned turn because of some arthritic giant fucktard who needs to channel the power of 3 suns to do 1k damage

Optional content that basically involves grinding minigames isnt especially fun, and there's actually not much exploration involved in that either. Of the actual exploratory components, a lot of stuff is hidden in a "fuck you buy our guide" sort of way, like how one of the dragons is in a no-feedback spot between a blob of sand and some rocks in the middle of the ocean, and not in any of the spots where the geometry suggests something actually exists

The gameplay is also really quite repetitive. The combos are a good foundation for later combat systems (possibly combined with the gene system) but they're so limited that every boss fight became "use these 3 attacks in this precise order" and the breath attacks (as well as some boss attacks) are incredibly long for no good reason, even when they let you skip half of them

I agree with you on the cast bit though. Ershin and Ursula are great. No recruiable Momo loses it points though, and I still have to give more points to BoF2's cast (I would also give more points to 3's, but I accept that those would mostly come from the fact that it was one of my first JRPGs)
Also the dragon designs are shit. 3d dragons a shit. Dragon summoning a shit

It's not a bad game. I'd say it's pretty good overall, but it's nowhere near the pinnacle and suggesting it is shows either a lack of experience or shit taste

Stuttering doggo is actually a drunk
Beheading got cut
Several slightly dirty comedic moments get dropped like Ursula's pants

This seems like a good place to ask: Should I start Phantasy Star with 1? I have access to 1-4 and really want to get to 4 as it looks amazing. Should I just skip to 4 or should I go through them all?

If you skip 1-3 you won't be able to come back.

And that's why you are on this website posting about this topic and also why you're a virgin

I kind of doubt that given I'm not the type to be put off by old systems, for example lately I've beat the original Dragon Quest (on an NES, not one of the ports) and Mother/Earthbound 0 (again, on the NES, not the toned-down GBA port).

All you're doing is showing what a newfaggot you are.

I really like 1 and 2. Especially 2, despite being a grindy bastard. I can never get into 3, and haven't given it an honest chance. 4 is definitely the best in the series, though.

Where did this meme come from? I've played the Japanese version and that's not true.

I cant read moon (yet), so I couldn't look it up explicitly to say one way or the other, but the claim is that his speech pattern is slurred in JP ver, suggesting that he's an alcoholic

It's pretty much the same as the English version, and there's never any mention of him drinking or being drunk.

Princess ark is resolved beautifully and tragically setting you up on hating the villain for actually doing horribly shit in front of you rather than being "he's just evil dude, go hunt him". If anything it's a bit drawn out instead of rushed.

SMT3 having difficult bosses is a long running meme. If you has legit difficulties with matador you have brain damage and should move to mobile games.

The only hidden thing I need to look up is sea dragon, the rest is perfectly discoverable with tips other characters are giving you.

And combat is great because it's fast for something turn based, extremely well animated and you can actually defeat bosses in a variety of ways depending what secondary skills and spells you have given to your characters.

You're leaving out the part where it was dropped for most of the game and was entirely predictable. The ending setup was nice, but it just suddenly popped up in an almost literal "hey, remember how we were gonna do that thing?" moment

wew

That's the exact one I mentioned. Almost nothing else was hard to find (and sea dragon was literally just "use a guide"), and was concentrated within a few areas.

Also being able to beat bosses in a variety of ways is a result of them being piss easy, not a result of the encounters actually being designed well. In Nocturne, you can beat a boss in a variety of ways because he'll have certain weaknesses, gimmicks or attack patterns. In BoF 4, you can beat a boss any way you like because the only way a boss is going to give you trouble is if you can still mash X in your sleep. I had a few boss fights where I made absolutely terrible decisions out of boredom and I just healed everyone back up and kept on trucking. The only thing the game challenged was my patience

The first one is a great place to start.