/agdg/ + /vm/ ~ Amateur Gamedev General

Autistic replies edition

Related Places:
>>>/agdg/
>>>/vm/

Old Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

shaunspalding.co.uk/probably-half-baked-tldr-thoughts-about-feminism/
answers.unrealengine.com/questions/374052/is-it-possible-to-use-both-ai-controller-and-playe.html
answers.unrealengine.com/questions/126263/451-is-there-a-way-to-compile-all-blueprints.html
stackoverflow.com/questions/11706215/how-to-fix-git-error-object-file-is-empty
youtube.com/watch?v=5PvfWwKGh-Q
wiki.unrealengine.com/Garbage_Collection_&_Dynamic_Memory_Allocation
byond.com/docs/guide/
byond.com/docs/ref/
ch.nicovideo.jp/hiiragik/blomaga/ar246695
youtube.com/watch?v=Nn7mISvVzJk
matome.naver.jp/odai/2142353659217305601?&page=3
blog.sketchfab.com/art-spotlight-kumiko-hibike-euphonium/
thewindowsclub.com/force-full-shutdown-fully-reinitialize-windows-8
windowsten.info/tutorials/5767-how-to-fully-shut-down-windows-10
tomshardware.co.uk/forum/id-3025123/windows-full-shutdown-access-bios.html
cnet.com/forums/discussions/help-my-pc-with-windows-10-wont-shut-down-properly/3/
learnopengl.com/#!Advanced-Lighting/Deferred-Shading
cg.ivd.kit.edu/publications/2017/svgf/svgf_preprint.pdf
youtube.com/watch?v=JZux7syGB8E
answers.unrealengine.com/questions/698636/understanding-pathfollowingcomponent.html
hk-devblog.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

you can now rebind multiple inputs and see multiple inputs, you can bind buttons but they don't have good descriptive enough names.

Hows this for a game description?

It’s the year 3045 and we are at war with an outer space vermin known as the Sulk, a group of mysterious beings that threaten the very nature of our existence. They’ve destroyed most of our home planet and enslaved some of our fellow brothers and sisters to work as mind-controlled cyborgs called Mechabrids. They have left us no choice but to seek and destroy them, if this is the first contact that man most have with alien then let it be left in blood and violence. Prepare yourself fellow cadet, you once were one of these mind controlled cyborgs but have broken free from the conditioning and are ready to fight for your fellow brethren. Come join the Souls United federation and fight to free humanity from the chains of the apocalypse!

Cool story but what's the game?

It's a stealth/action hybrid

Drop the "mechabrids" name and come up with something that sounds a little more ominous or simple, like organoid or the like.

Sounds cool, especially that I dabbled in the genres. Got any screenshots?

I know there's two ways of instantiating objects in C++, you can do

Object n1 (0.0f, false);// orObject n2 = new Object(0.0f, false);

Now how do i version 1 in a header file, as a default class member variable?
I would do version 2, but unreal crashes when i bind BeginDestroy() on my component to delete it again.

WE ARE BREAKING THE CONDITIONING!!

I assume it will be FPS gameplay. Will there be hacking and other fancy stuff or just shooting?

Not directly gamedev related but, are there any good Lua books?
I've been meaning to learn for a while but seems no one gives a fuck about lua.
Other resources are fine, but pls no youtube series.

REAL HUMAN BEAN
E
A
L

H
U
M
A
N

B
E
A
N

If you want to release that, do some proofreading and editing (you have typos and what I'd consider stylistic errors there). Otherwise, sounds cool. The names sound cheesy but that might work well with an appropriate aesthetic.

New icons!

Enjoy dem xenoestrogens Boí.

the game needs a xenoestrogen mechanic.

I feel like I am becoming part of the problem after starting a small hop yard

Do you want to become a tranny or what?

Faerie pie?

I have a huge problem with sorting files and folders on my computer, so I'm wondering where and how I should write down story/character/gameplay ideas I get without having a thousand loose notes flying around.
How do you fags document and organize your ideas and concepts?

You're the fairydev or that one user from few months ago that wanted to do shop simulator where every social group would have different preferences based on real-life statistics?

In godot when i'm moving my bad pixel art around i'm seeing some after images. Is there any way to get rid of them?

This interests me…

cookingsigninnwhateverfaeriedev

You don't do instantiation in a header file, those are for declarations. Put the object creation in the default constructor in the implementation file.
//someclass.hclass SomeClass { Object n1; public: SomeClass(); ~SomeClass();}//someclass.cpp#include "someclass.h"SomeClass::SomeClass() { n1 = new Object(0.0f, false);}SomeClass::~SomeClass() { delete n1; n1 = null;}
Unless I misunderstood your question.

each character in my game will have a particular set of tastes and preferences
the general default ideal taste in food is
60 salty
60 sweet
60 bitter
60 sour
100 savory
40 spicy
40 mint
but faeries for example are not bothered by going over 60 on sweetness

Were you the guy asking in the old thread about notetaking programs and stuff? Marble notebooks. I have like ten of them laying around for a bunch of different topics, one of them is my dedicated programming/dev notebook. I transcribe some of them into text files sometimes so I can do some editing/experimenting, then I copy them back into my notebook.

Wasn't me, actually. I kinda figured notebooks would be the most elegant solution, splitting them up into different topics makes a lot of sense.

Sorry to get your hopes up. Some user posted his idea and then there was a discussion what to do if someone were to question why black customers were more inclined to buy fried chicken compared to average customer. Unfortunately that seems to be the last time he appeared here.

That's a lot of potential combinations. Will there be some hidden recipes that can be uncovered by experimentation?

AYYO NIGGA DID I HEAR KEYY EFF CEE?

Anything you make has a result, you can cook bananas and pumpikin in the pan and there will be a result (fried banana and pumpkin, or a banana and pumpkin soup if you add liquid)
The recipes on the right are simply guides to understand the system

But chinks are the biggest demographic for KFC

That really activates my almond.

AESTHETIC ASS

Wider, less sag

nah, I just enjoy beer and want to try making my own.
beer consumption wasn't a problem for generations of our grandfathers and earlier, thay were much more masculine despite still consuming xenoestrogens in their ales and porters
it's city life that produced numales imo, soy and IPAs just catalize their degeneration
I don't live in a city

and I will be trying to find hops alternatives. Artemisia, most likely hope it's not going ultra-hipster

You're in a game dev thread on a vietnamese dark web imageboard talking about beers
You literally cannot get more hipster than this

fuck.

the tone of your post kind of reminded me I should sage

I guess I can go even more hipster and release a small, promotional batch of beer to commemorate the release of my game.

why would you release it

Pretty sure it's a loli ass, user. It could do with a bit more roundness though, you're right on that one.

I might've worded that wrong, rounder is more correct

DAT UV

This looks 200% comfy, keep it up. What music will you use?

cos you want to play it.

Shodanon already has a comics about his game and Beelzebox stylized fridge magnets. He's gonna take the markets by the storm.

Grabbing seems to work pretty great now, using a mix of pic related and spherecasting for more precision

yay
I'd post it but I still don't have animations for it and it looks very silly

Relating to this, what's the best way to set an animation for something that is either on or off?

Should I have a separate Bool variable that gets set to true when my character is grabbed and then have the animator get that variable's value?
Or is there a smarter way to go about it?

Man, I'm using that

I was thinking of making chilli-flavoured porter and calling it Paprika Korps but that will have to wait

Those fridge magnets were for a girl I liked way back when but I can actually make loads of those if I wanted to… Like this little experimental model I made trying to use photogrammetry software this failed… for now
I wonder to what extent such quirky promotional items and backer rewards I guess increase sales, actually.

sidenote: still happy you dudes made up this nick for me

Thief had no animations for that and looked okay

how about I posted pics, huh?

… Thief is an FPS user

A large part of the design strategy I've chosen is clarity in feedback to the player. Hence the bright colours with easily distinguishable shapes.
Everything that will be in the scene will be color coded within its design to help reinforce this, eg. common blue color for 'things that are good' and red for 'shit that you should probably stay clear of'
The music will likely be the same with less reliance on large scores as background noise and more focus on instruments and their ability to be recognised by the player.
A potential idea is to have different enemies audio be derivatives of audio samples from specific chosen instruments, giving the player an incentive to listen to the audio. "Oh shit I hear a tuba, better do x/y/z"
That's not to say that that music won’t be a part of the game, in a lot of ways the music can be another obstacle in and of itself. Ramping up the tempo in a tense situation can of course lead to interesting gameplay if the player acts accordingly.
But if the question you are asking is more akin to "what TYPE of music will it be?" than the answer is beyond my grasp at the moment.
I have a sense of the emotion I wish it to convey which fits tonally with the game, one of soft melodies played sincerely on a piano as a gentle breeze brings peace but also rising action, but also the simply whimsy of a distant trombone playing at the pace of a characters walk cycle.
The gondola will not be a part of my game if it is ever finished. But I include it as it is because, at least to me, the gondola symbolises a lot of the emotion I am going to try to achieve. The music will just be another way I will get there.

tl;dr fucked if I know

You can do instantiation in your header file if it's a constant. Constants are treated as symbolic and not as variable.

first-person stealth game, if you want to be exact. Than again, sorry I didn't think of your game being third person

Not that your results wouldn't be interesting & exciting, at least for me. I think most of actual /agdg/-goers are immune to the black triangle effect.

Anyway, are you who I think you are?
Jak idzie praca nad grą? Jak samopoczucie?

?

a really important story from a dev I once read. Both discauraging and inspiring. I'll copypaste it for you:

Heh, didn't know about this

hey, now you do. Now post your progress

Lemme finish the climbing up and I will

Good shit, user. Makes me feel better when I spend hours to get something working that you can't really see.

I'm mexicofag. I'm working on interior props.

This is a good story. Every now and then, I make the mistake of taking a step back from working on my game to look at it, and notice how little there really is. It's been most of a year and I have almost nothing to show for it. At times like that, I feel despair. If I were to show it to someone and say "This is the game I've been working on for the last year," and they didn't know about gamedev, it would just give them secondhand embarrassment. And yet, nearly everything I've done has been completely necessary, and if I want the game to exist, I'll have to keep right on doing it, without reward.

I hate the image of developers being celebrity gods who just point and decide that a particular kind of game exists, rather than what they usually are, which is weirdos with extreme perseverance.

post more

Pomyłka, ja to ktoś inny.
Also bretty good term. I'm going to start using it.

Isn't the sink too low? It is barely higher than a toilet.
Will drawers and wardrobe be openable?

I can post what spoke about

and the preliminary photogrammetry results I wasn't happy with
when I have that rag tag mocap studio online, I will have dispersed lightning, hope that will yield better results

Yeah maybe it is a little bit too low. And yeah the drawers are openable.

Fuck me, I had a black triangle moment with my wife just this week. I was all proud of my silly walk animation and she looked at me like "Really?". She even mentioned "You've been working on this for years."
We're gonna make it, lads.

welp

Neither did this published developer. What's your excuse?

He wants to make quality worthy of actually being PLAYED user.

Godot 3.0 has visual scripting. UE4 has blueprints.

this, i dont wanna be uwe boll of video games, if years of learning programming have to lead to make a quality video game, id rather pass for now and focus on what im learning atm which is comic, and im drawing only for 2 years, i have enough frustrations already atm. but pretty much everytime i go to bed i think of ideas for a video game.

Well that said, if you want to make a video game start learning user. Even Brianna Goo made a shitty abortion, difference is she at least tried to have the baby. You're gonna have to get penetrated user, penetrated by knowledge.

Don't be discouraged before you even try alright?

That is better than not knowing how to draw, or do sound design. Programming is easy to learn - at least the basics.

sure, i learned alot trying to learn drawing from scratch being mid 20s, so i know how it goes.

i guess, with making comics i learn writing too.
i should note i had C in high school over 7 years ago, but i was never good at it.

Get Gamemaker Studio and look for Shaun Spalding on youtube. Do some of his basic tutorials. Then you can branch out.
Chances are you first ideas are too ambitious. Which is fine, but you'll have to learn to trim it down to be very manageable.

Wu got like 200 or 300k to start with that was essentially wasted. Not really a good example to bring up at all.

There are indie devs who made good games with basically lint from their wallet and that strange penny spawned underneath the couch cushion.

But yeah, she's a bad example of an underdog dev.

I ended up doing it that way, but what i meant was something different, basically on how to do the version 2 instantiation while having a separate variable declaration before that.

Pretty much. Also, keep in mind Wu hired more people, so it wasn't even a one man project. I wouldn't even say it's an example of a dev who made it since the game isn't exactly a success.
Risk of Rain, Undertale, LISA, Lethal League and a bunch more are all better examples of games that were made by actual underdogs who didn't have a well-known background. Argue about the quality but they sure as fuck saw massive success. And they all started as fledgling devs who started out making unfinished/awkward prototypes or fan mods.

Money doesn't even matter, if you're living in the right city you can even go up to the council and ask for city funding for new businesses.

That's what I'm planning to do in case I need money to make vidya

Depends on where you live. I think in my country that's not an option because games aren't seen as art.

Huh, never thought you could do that. That's thinking outside of the box. You're a Newtype aren't you?

I was just shitposting, Anons. Why would I recommend anyone to become anything like Wu? In fact, I actually expect you guys, here of all places, to become the chemo to the cancer that the current indie games scene is. I know I'm trying.

Better example. Korean man decides to one-man-army a video game. If Steam Spy is to be believed I'd approximate his net earnings from the game to be more than $100k

So am I. I'm just unsure how many of us there are.
I've actually tried encouraging people to break their bad habits and take matters into their own hands, but I think it's a fruitless endeavor. Those who don't want to be helped are a lost cause. I'm glad this thread is trying, at least.

No idea what that is tbh

Oh.

That might or might not be a reference to Gundam

Are you going to show him there's more to game dev'ing than game engine performance?

Watch out.

Climbing's working.
Currently doesn't have a slerp to the position because if I try to do that the capsule collider of the player interact with the collider of the box I'm grabbing onto and stops me, so I'd have to deactivate it and can't be fucked to do it now.

But yeah, working, I made actual progress
look at me

What exactly do you mean? In person? Here?

so.. you play as a jew? where are the shekels?

What is it about Bright's face that makes me want to learn something. That is a perfect face. The fucking Eye to noes to mouth ratio is IDEAL for Greenie-Mentor relationships.

Another good face is Kaz.

Sorry if you already posted it, but what's your game gonna be like?

Both.

He's not a jew, he's Drill Boy

3D platformer

that's what a jew would have said

He looks like a hook nosed kike thou, gotta sniff demn gold ores :^)

dubs confirms it tbh lad.

We're all gonna make it, brah. As long as we keep at it, we'll make it.

I hear this said a lot, but that begs the question of "Well then how did the game get made?"

I regret to inform you that he drank the Kool-aid. Shame, since I learned a fair amount from him.

Go figure, I don't think he started his patreon that long ago. At least his old videos are still worthwhile.

Shit, disregard that statement. It was a conclusion I made about comments from him I'd seen in passing, but I think it may have been too harsh. As far as I can tell, he's not exactly attempting to overthrow the patriarchy, he's just "lol, genders don't matter" type blue pilled.
shaunspalding.co.uk/probably-half-baked-tldr-thoughts-about-feminism/
Not surprising, considering he worked at Ubisoft.

Good, keep doing that.
I think a lot of people have the wrong idea about what the point of debates is. They approach them as though it's about making the other person change their mind and adopt your viewpoint. It's not. At least not usually. While it's certainly a pleasant surprise if you end up in a debate with someone whose motivation is nothing but to learn more about the subject at hand, you shouldn't count on it. At least from my experience (and I'm no exception to that, although I do my best to not do that anymore) people debate to "win" against their "opponent".
What I'm trying to get at is this: It doesn't matter whether the person you're trying to talk out of bad habits is receptive or not; it really doesn't. Because even in a community as small as this one, the point you're making will be read by at least an order of magnitude more people than take active part in the back and forth. You don't debate to win over the person you're debating. You debate to win over as many of the invisible spectators as possible.
Keep it up even if you're debating some pathetic, nihilistic robot who tells you to go fuck yourself with your advice. Because one of the other Anons reading it might genuinely appreciate what you have to say.

I also don't know how many of us there are, but that's not going to stop me. I won't make half-assed shit games. Which makes me wonder …
Is tetrachromedev ever going to come back here? I really hope he gets over his setback and comes back. I thought about him today because on my train ride back home, I saw a young woman who looked a lot like his robutt. And I mean a lot. Like really, really similar facial features; especially the eyes.

Use RPG Maker or Game Maker.

Do you have any more screenshots? I found out about your project through a gondola thread a few days ago, looks fucking fantastic.

and that is why we had shitloads of new posters

just enable v sync in the settings

I've tried running some searches about this, but I don't think I'm wording things correctly because none of the results are relevant.

Is there anything wrong with putting maths inside for loop test statements?
For example something like:
for( i=1 ; ( ( a * i ) + c ) / i ) >= 1 ; i++ )
It seems like the compiler is accepting it just fine, I'm just wondering if it's horribly bad form and liable to bite me in the ass eventually?

Goddamn OOP

I think some people still think my cooking system is based on fixed recipes, it is not, in fact the player makes the recipes

I think it's a bit unclear. If a and c are constants, it's probably okay, but if someone else has to read that code and a and c change values within the loop, then it can be almost impossible to reason about. Another reason you might want to avoid it is because compilers can optimize for loops that follow a more standard update/test better than anything with complicated logic.

My intuition would be that you could rexpress that in a more intuitive way; and if not, a while loop or recursion might make more sense.

Basically preyed on a bunch of amateur programmers, particularly women. I don't want to go into detail, but Wu is basically notorious in the greater Boston area for bringing a press entourage around everywhere and taking credit for a lot of shit >she had no part in, then threatening anyone who calls >her out on >her shit.
Basically a more nightmare-ish version of pic related.

Have you worked out algorithms for flavor blending and compatibility, or is the Deliciousness stat based on simple sums of arbitrarily assigned values? Also do you take food texture into account?
Either way, your project is making me hungry.

Yeah, I think you're right on several fronts there. I just tested it side by side against a more conventional for loop that worked the maths out step by step within the loop itself, and the results it spat out were more in line with what I was expecting.
I've got to stop the habit of trying to compress everything into as small an expression as possible.
Thanks helping out, user.

Yeah, he's not really spitting vitriol and hatred, so he's probably okay. I don't agree with most of what he wrote, but he seems like he's at least trying to understand why the situation is the way it is. I would honestly be surprised if he were, because judging from his videos he seems like a really agreeable guy.

That's what I've been doing. My only hope is to plant a small seedling of doubt into the anons affected and hope they realize they can improve. We live in a society where a lot of things are taken for granted that we don't realize can be incredibly harmful namely porn and skinnerbox games, I think anons suffer the most from those and don't realize. It really is an uphill battle, though.

I have no clue. I never paid a lot of attention to him, but it's a shame either way. He's probably busy fighting his own demons.

Each type of dish archetype modifies the flavors and nutritional values in slightly different ways, for example: fermenting an almost rotten food will add extra savory to it.
Food texture is simulated by the generic "deliciousness" which also takes in consideration combinations of flavors, freshness and fatness and is handled in different ways by each dish archetype.
This is the best abstraction i could make, since i would need to simulate stuff at molecular level to get more "accurate and realistic" than this without also making the system too complex and hard to use

oh wait its just me being retarded

Said math is going to be done each iteration of the loop to check if the result is >= 1. This is usually not a problem, unless your math is heavy (like a sqrt or something) or if your loop is expected to run like a million times per frame.

I'm doing some photogrammetry trials as well, but I think for now I will settle with generating normal maps only for my textures from real life.

can someone explain why Unity by default fits a tight mesh around sprites instead of just using a quad? is it more performance efficient?

Unreals garbage collection is driving me crazy, it arbitrarily deletes things that i still use, debugging it involves waiting for 60 seconds and crashing the entire engine. Is there some way to signal importance of an actor so it doesn't get deleted?

What the fuck am i reading

Got Thief-style climbing working.

(checked)

(checked)

Shhhhhh!

Just draw a picture of him wringing his hands already

I'm not the artist nor the modeler, I just make the game work right
I wish I could ask him to do that but it might get weird

In UE4, is it possible to give a player character an AI Controller?
I'd like to be able to use the "Move to X" functions but they require an AI Controller as the input controller.

Does this work for you?
answers.unrealengine.com/questions/374052/is-it-possible-to-use-both-ai-controller-and-playe.html

Wow, that is actually a perfect explanation.
Thank you very much

Just, like, learn to code brother.

That is the gamedev equivalent of telling someone to just ride a kid's plastic tricycle to work because they don't know how to drive.

This is the progress, I now have undo and redo commands implemented, as well as the "visual" side of the "select block" mode.

Post the code, I dare you.

Bthe way, I would like to remind everyone that g-d's best windows IDE under the sun is also a web browser. What's you're excuse?

Progress on the hacking game, you can use other peoples credentials to log into your email client, so you can read their emails. Here shows receiving some spam (actually its ransomware) and you can bruteforce the credentials to his account since he hosts his own mailserver and its poorly configured (doesn't rate limit login attempts)

Is there a proper means to bit shift with unreal's blueprints? Or do I have to stick with doing it a round-about way using bitwise ANDs and for loops?

Lookin good

Looks really polished already, nice work

Once you go into optimizing your stuff to the point of doing bitwise operations, you should really switch to C++. Sooner or later you'll notice all of the horrors that come with UEs Blueprints, like compilation errors that are not announced and only noticed by the engine once you play the game to the point of an error occuring, or the inability to recompile all BPs globally.
All of the issues talked about in this question from 2015 are still up to date:
answers.unrealengine.com/questions/126263/451-is-there-a-way-to-compile-all-blueprints.html

You can implement that in a BlueprintFunctionLibrary. It's really simple.
// .h fileUFUNCTION(BlueprintPure, Category = "Integer|Operators", meta = (CompactNodeTitle = "

I'm really loath to get into UE4's C++ stuff because:
1. For some godawful reason the Content Browser is basically completely clueless when anything about a C++ class changes.
2. You can't delete C++ classes. Well, you kinda can by deleting them in their actual locations on the disk, but that leads to more of
3. Fucking save issues for days jesus christ. There's nothing I love more than getting a "failed to save" error over and over, with no indication of WHY it couldn't save, and this happens all the time with the C++ classes. Fuck.

It makes perfect sense that you can't just delete the C++ classes from within the editor, because it depends on them. You need to close the editor, delete the files and your project binaries, regenerate the new VS project files and rebuild the project.
I don't think I ever had saving issues despite using a lot of C++ in Unreal. The only issues I had was when I did massive refactoring work and reparented base classes that had additional Blueprint classes that inherited from them. It caused issues while packaging the project, but the log told me what was wrong (invalid outermost; please recompile x blueprint).

Yeah, you have to be a little careful, the fact that you can't add folders or move files into them from the content browser is also pretty retarded.
My advice is:

Honestly I'm not sure what causes the "level save failed" issue, because it can happen on a new project where I haven't done anything but fuck with blueprints.
And it seems to save fine if I just hit cancel and retry. Mostly it's just annoying because the autosave will prompt it.

I have that as well since 4.17, really fucking annoying.

A couple tests later and it seems like the "Save on Compile > On Success Only" option in Blueprints triggers this. If I set it to Never it stops happening.
Okay, Epic.

Oh "Always" does it too. So it's "Never" or bust.

Now that i've switched to TSharedPtr, im getting even more cryptic errors, pic related. UItemCombatComponent does not have a destructor, the entire stack trace is internal UE functions.

That makes absolutely no sense, good job figuring that out.

Can't you attach a debugger and see where exactly it crashes?

It crashes on game exit, but i'll try.

Thanks, Ill make the audio loop better later.

I've failed 3 days in a row. Lord help me.
I'm pretty sure it's part of my lack of motivation. Cleaning up your room is good though. I cleaned up my actual room, but need to sort my computer desktop out. It's a fucking mess.

> used kleenex not for semen
> a note from my girlfriend telling me to clean the litterbox before I agdg
> a picture of my girlfriend smiling/winking at me and doing a thumbs up

I will, after i switch the cooking system from mostly hard-coded to script-based for easy modding (next year probably)

Its called a waifu user.

What if she's 3D

This isn't even counting the actual computer that's on the desk.

Just fucking take them to the kitchen when you get up goddamn.

Untidiness I can understand, but there's no excuse for filth. Clean up your room.

Turns out that TSharedPtr or TWeakPtr are not meant to be used for UObjects, but for whatever reason never return any errors or warning on compilation. Instead they cause enigmatic destructor crashes. They way to turn primitive C pointers into hard references is by declaring them an UPROPERTY.
I've wasted three fucking hours figuring this shit out

It's Godot.

How is it for 3d? I heard a lot of people bitching about it and waiting patiently for 3.0.

For me it was quite simple, really. I watched a discussion Peterson had with a guy who made videos about implementing Peterson's advice into his life and how it changed him. One aspect was that he was spending a lot of time watching porn before. They briefly talked about how we don't yet know what effects porn has on young men. The problem is that widespread availability of it is so recent that the evidence on its mid to long term effects isn't in yet. There was something about the way he said it:
"Exposure to multiple virtual sex partners" was a term I really didn't like to hear. So I decided to bail out of it because I'm someone who really, really wants to have a family and kids in future and I don't want to risk fucking them over like that. It's not like I went full-on nofap, but I don't look at porn at all or use any imagery anymore. The frequency went way down immediately. Now I guess it's time to watch how my fantasies develop very closely.

I just wanted to blow off some steam and now I'm angrier than before

I recall watching Peterson discuss various things with Stefan Molymeme. At one point they were arguing whether video games and pornography have any positive effect, especially since a lot of young men handle them. Peterson defended vidya saying as long as they were structured well there's stuff to learn from them, but both pretty stoutly agreed that porn has absolutely no net benefit.
That quote is definitely is something I've noticed on myself as well. Especially after looking at more degenerate content a pretty disgusting feeling of guilt sets in.
I think the reason why I've been thinking so much about it lately is because I got a job offer to work on a porn game that would've paid pretty well. But I didn't want to dedicate my skill set to something that has no lasting legacy.

Do you have that video on hand, by the way? I haven't watched it and could see myself taking some queues from it.

what the fuck is going on today

I'm using the 3.0 alpha1. Still some quirks (adjusting some sliders locks the mouse kind of stuff), but it's functional enough.The new rendering engine is great, and the features are pretty awesome.

Is there a way to just disable that entirely? I don't want GC-induced hitching and I can handle memory just fine.

You may very well have already found this, but if not this might help:
stackoverflow.com/questions/11706215/how-to-fix-git-error-object-file-is-empty

Disable entirely for the whole game? I don't think so, and im not sure if you can take care of all of UEs internal clusterfuck. But at least for your own pointers you can exempt them from the garbage collection with the UPROPERTY declaration.

I found a different answer without the all-in-one delete command, thanks user.

Anyone else feel way way more creative when taking a shit? Like when I'm shitting I can imagine shit super clearly and come up with stuff without getting distracted at all (this is what I imagine people on Ritalin feel), but it only lasts until the shitting is done, really fucking annoying. I can solve more design issues in those 30 seconds of shitting than I can in an hour normally.

No I'm not joking.

Same for me, although it also works with showers

Shitting, showers, walking your dog, nearly falling asleep, and having about 2 beers in you are all great for different problems.
For the first 3 it's the complete shutdown your brain goes through while doing shit you have to do every day which gives you a lot of focus.
Nearly falling asleep is both that and your brain preparing for dreams, which unlocks more creativity.
Being slightly tipsy removes your inhibitors a little so you just like write code instead of worrying about perfect implementations. Note that there's actually been studies on this, shit's proven.

>IntShitLeft
Thanks anons. I was just using bitwise for cycling through weapons that have been unlocked. I'm making a vertical shmup where you only ever have one primary weapon firing at one time, so cycling isn't too hard to implement. I just made an int represent what weapons are unlocked/available and another int to represent the current "index" of the bit, then use a for loop to cycle through each bit until it finds the next available weapon (else reset to beginning).

Admittedly for what I'm using it for, my method doesn't seem as bad as I initially thought. However, I won't be able to test it and optimize it until I get back from work.

Here is the link, since a one hour webm isn't happening: youtube.com/watch?v=5PvfWwKGh-Q
Jesus … I know what that feels like. Do you know Emergence?

I respect you not wanting to work on something that doesn't have a legacy. If I may ask, what are you working on?

Don't you have a remote? How much work would you loose if you were to just clone it again? If a lot: Why didn't you push your work earlier, user?

There may be something useful for y ou here: wiki.unrealengine.com/Garbage_Collection_&_Dynamic_Memory_Allocation
I don't know whether UE's GC is worth messing with though. Part of what made Unity's GC so bad was that they were stuck with an all-purpose GC that was very old, because of licencing shenanigans. As far as I am aware Unreal uses a custom GC so it's fair to assume that it's made with games in mind. At least it would be really surprising if they didn't optimize it for that purpose, considering that UE4 is quite the technical marvel as far as game engines are concerned.

Same here. Taking shits and showers work great. But the most effective thing I have found for myself is going for a walk through a nearby forest. No cars and barely any people. When there's just you and your thoughts, you get quite a lot done.
Nearly falling asleep also works, although I would consider that a huge problem rather than a way of helping you think things through. I had nights where I couldn't sleep at all because my mind was so active, and irregular sleep patterns are known to absolutely demolish your productivity, because they cause things like anxiety and depression.

Wish I had that option

I have a remote, but it's 15GB. I've been cloning alongside my repair, so far the clone isn't done and the repair isn't done either.

finished the eyes, now I'm just doing the hair

also I fixed the ass by making it more rounder

Fucking ZScript.

Nice music, m8.

byond.com/docs/guide/
byond.com/docs/ref/

it's fucking nothing .jpeg

You really have to hate yourself to do this

what if I hate you, does that mean you'll do it?

Doesn't ring a bell.
A top down shooter. It's been a while since I posted anything, though.

Thanks for the video, I'll check it out when I'm in the mood.

Same here with showers. A hot shower will often "cleanse" negative moods and help come up with a solution for something I've been thinking about for hours.
I wish I had an easy way of writing stuff down when I'm about to fall asleep, because that's when I get great ideas. For some reason ballin' music melodies often pop into my mind but I've never made a music in my life, so it always feels like it's an unfortunate waste.

Always waiting on the good times.

Is that the thing with the poop-tubes and you having to pick which girl torture a few times?

Living in an urban shithole or is it at least nice in its own way?

Are that 15 GB of code and their history, or are binaries included. I hope you're not just committing binaries and are using something like LFS.

Do you have anything presentable like screenshots? Part of the reason why I hope tetrachromedev comes back is that he is — at least as far as I know — the only dev here on /agdg/ who works on something that is as ambitious as the game I'm working on.
Basically everything I've seen here have been Anons working on small, simple projects; not that there is anything wrong with that. Nevertheless it's reassuring to see people who aspire for more, people who are serious about their games.

It's a hentai that's quite well drawn, but happens to have a story that goes from bad to worse and worse and worse and worse and worse.

Did you follow a particular tutorial for this?

Tetrachromedev's work was impressive, both graphically and mechanically. From the spergouts I saw he was mostly just being a paranoid autist, which is certainly cringeworthy but hardly Phil Fish/EvaXephon-tier like some people said. He made an ass of himself but he's not a cuck by any stretch.

following this ch.nicovideo.jp/hiiragik/blomaga/ar246695
(if you want to go to the next page, just click on this button on the red)
I don't think he shows people how to do the topology (maybe in later lessons but I'm not there yet)

as for the hair I follow this video
youtube.com/watch?v=Nn7mISvVzJk

and there's some more tutorials here from glorious japan
matome.naver.jp/odai/2142353659217305601?&page=3

Binaries are excluded, but assets aren't.
What is that?

Fuckin' cool, thanks. I've been wanting to try tutorials from the Japanese internet recently, as I get the impression that they use fundamentally different techniques for their arts than the West does.

another tutorial I found for shading static meshes.
I hope to use this method to create my own porn images and make $$$ on pateron someday
blog.sketchfab.com/art-spotlight-kumiko-hibike-euphonium/
basically he used polygon shading instead of the traditional way so it'll only work with still renders and not animation

He can't be compared to Phil Fish on any level IMO. FEZ wasn't as impressive as Tetrachrome shaped up to become and the worst you can say about Tetrachromedev is that he is a bit of a drama-queen, whereas Fish has proven, without the shadow of a doubt, to be a hubristic, self-centered piece of shit.
I think YandereDev is a fairer comparison, although that's more because Fish is orders of magnitude worse and not because Tetrachromedev has anything in common with him unless we're being really superficial about it.

git can't handle anything that isn't a plain text file properly. That is to say that it's really inefficient at doing that because it was designed to manage code. git being decentralized means that when you clone, you have not only the current branch on your PC, but the entire history. For your binary files (e.g. audio, textures, etc.) that means that you have a copy of every version ever in your repository. Since you probably know how large those files, and textures in particular, get, the result is obvious. Your repository degrades in performance and gets bloated in size extremely fast.
LFS is a plugin for git that seeks to rectify that. Basically instead of putting your large files into the git repository, only a small text file with some information about the file is pushed. The actual file is uploaded to a file server. When you clone or check another branch out, git uses the text file to download the proper file from the server. The upsides are that you keep your repository clean and that you no longer need to store every version ever of every large file on your hard disk all the time. The downside is that it doesn't work offline, since you need to be able to reach the LFS server.
According to the kernel wiki, the entire Linux kernel with its 63428 commits amounts to ~175MB.
Another thing to note is that 15 GB is a lot. I don't know of any free host that provides that much storage with git LFS. The biggest one I know is GitLab, which I also use. It gives you 10 GB and supports LFS.

It's a sea city, so it's very nice some times and you can have walks on the waterfront, so that's usually what I go for.
Could be worse tbh

Recorded something quick, pardon the quality. I posted nearly the same footage 2 months ago, I haven't had much of a chance or the motivation to work on it since. Hoping to get back into it soon, once I got other stuff out of the way.
I also would like to see bigger projects posted here, but I'm glad anons are deving at all.

I think he had too much riding on it and it stressed him out. His living situation is pretty miserable from what I remember him posting, so I don't really blame him for having a burnout.

At least now you know what to do and what to avoid, right? That's better than most.

Reminds me a ton of spyro

did they fix the collisions with character capsule yet?

Were you the user asking for gun sounds a few months back?

(checked)
Yeah.

I'm liking the direction your thing is going

I've finally fixed the fucking repo, the crashes, and the garbage collection issues. Another day with no real progress.

Thank you for the explanation, sounds like a mandatory thing to use. My .git folder is 9GB. Ever used LFS with UE? There is no difference between textures, sounds and blueprints, it's all .uasset, so i guess it'll all go into the LFS storage.

Are you using a laptop? If yes it's probably a driver or power management issue, if no that's impossible as far as i know.

What? Windows has nothing to do with BIOS. They are completely separate entities.

I am, I also checked for both of those, wasn't it.
dunno

He sounds like a retard who doesn't understand how UEFI works and Windows probably just changed the logo on boot

You'd think that, but windows 10s "shutdown" isn't actually a real shutdown, it doesn't go through POST in all cases unless you do a proper shutdown via "shutdown /s /t 0"

Something is wrong with ACPI on your part. Windows shutdown works fine

I've never had an issue getting to BIOS on a desktop with Windows 10. Your laptop is doing some funky shit.

they changed the way you get to whatever the settings you get on boot are

I'm trying to interpret how this guy fucked up this bad, and all I can imagine is he installed Windows in BIOS compatibility mode or some shit and his BIOS Compatibility Support Mode (CSM) does not support quick boot so it reacts weird when he tries to shut down Windows

He needs to reinstall Windows but MAKE SURE that CSM is DISABLED in his BIOS so it's only being installed in UEFI mode

This is not something i made up, google "Windows 10 full shutdown".
thewindowsclub.com/force-full-shutdown-fully-reinitialize-windows-8
windowsten.info/tutorials/5767-how-to-fully-shut-down-windows-10
tomshardware.co.uk/forum/id-3025123/windows-full-shutdown-access-bios.html
cnet.com/forums/discussions/help-my-pc-with-windows-10-wont-shut-down-properly/3/

It's using quickboot to shutdown, idiot. Your computer should still physically be turned off. If it isn't then it's a problem on your end

Never happened to me once. All I need to do to get to the BIOS is hit the Delete key. The only thing that Windows 10 does strangely is getting into Safe Mode, but that's entirely different.

Where should I begin when wanting to get into game development?

Oh fuck, also if it gets stuck on the "Shutting Down" screen then it is certainly a problem with ACPI. I've used Chinese Intel Atom boards with really janky ACPI configs and that would happen often. Pretty sure disabling quick boot should fix it still regardless

That's Euphoria you're thinking of which actually has a surprising amount of feels. Emergence is that one corruption doujin.
Polite sage for not a progress post.

A good idea helps

Thanks man.

Probably by downloading Gamemaker or Unreal 4 and doing tutorials, depending on what you want to make. The former is better for 2D.

download godot and read the docs

euphoria was a weird beast, on one hand is a shame it was not a real game and in the other it understood its role as a vn and used it in its advantage to deliver some serious mind fuck, specially going from nemu to hokari. I'm sure the whole concept could have worked better with less porn but i'm not sure the first act could be as effective without it

Any of you got a blender scene set up to capture cubemaps for Unity? I was trying to make one, but it never comes out exactly right, looks like the sky is somewhat square.
I'm working around that by making the maps in unity using the reflection probes, which works perfectly but I'm limited to using in-engine for it.

Are you trying to get actual 6-sided cube maps? Because you can render equirectangular HDRIs in Blender. Just pick a camera in Blender, set the camera lens setting to panoramic, set the type to equirectangular and change your render size to 2:1 aspect ratio (like 2048x1024), and render it as .exr. Then just import into Unity, set the texture shape to cube and set the mapping to lattitude-longitude,

I made a better way to cycle through unlocked weapons, but damn it's stupid how unreal's blueprints lack so many features you take for granted in C/C++. I made a work around, but still, how can they implement while loops without having break or continue functionality? That shit is basic.

I don't think so really
Dude seemed depressed that his work would be forever overshadowed by something that has more notoriety.
I sympathize with him, I built myself up for a year, started making a harvest moon game, and then stardew valley hit, and killed all my motivation.
Difference between me and tetrachomedev is that his work was something worth giving a shit about. Whichever anons were shitting on him are some shitty individuals.

can i really not return multiple variables from a script in gamemaker?

(checked)
Put them in an array

WEW LAD

One job.

Never write software someone else has to use. EVER. You are not mentally qualified.

Wew camera movement and player rotation works again, gotta get back to drawing wire frames for animation.

That looks quite good. I hope you can find the time and motivation to get back to working on it.

Then restart your efforts. Just delete your porn now and give it another shot. Repeat until success.

I'm using LFS with Unreal 4 and my .git folder is 557 MB. The entire "Content" folder is tracked by LFS, whereas the "Source" folder is tracked normally. I'm uploading to GitLab, because they offer 10 GB of LFS space for free. These are my .gitignore and .gitattribute files.
The problem is that you already have a bloated repository with a history, so you can't just enable LFS and be done with it, because the blobs (binary large objects) are already part of your repository. You'll have to start a new repository. Here is how you should handle this:

Made a mockup for the terrain before I go and make it for real. Shadows arent baked and ignore the autistic leaning bug. Also added a way to go from interior to exterior but it fucks with lighting. bugs mean progress right?

But user, the shooting sound is from the dollars trilogy. It's hard to find genuine quality sounds for the other actions though.

Thanks, so do I. I ought to set myself a goal when to get back into it. Realistically, maybe next week.

Hey everyone.
In case you were wondering,
this is the future of real-time rendering.
Raytracing. In real-time.
Non-realtime and real-time rendering techniques will finally become one and the same.

We're probably still several years out from ever seeing this in a game engine, but this will likely get implemented in Blender's Cycles renderer within the next year or so. (Ton Roosendaal tweeted out this video himself, after all…)

Impressive.

A mockup for the terrain? What do you mean?

Also I really like how the character leans, makes it look weird and it works really well with the game itself

Seems too good to be true. And usually when it does, it is.

I'm dreamed about a very interesting game idea
it would be an fps
The way it worked was you had large intricate levels that where kinda maze-like but still distinct enough so you could find recognize different areas
then you would have some slow enemies but you are only barely faster than they are and you can only shoot if you are standing still
the point being that you cannot kite enemies around and kill them and you can't simply run past them
you had to use the level to your advantage through various points where you could open and close off areas or trigger certain traps
for instance dealing with a mob of enemies could be done by simply trapping them in a specific part of the level that you already thoroughly explored and don't need to go back to
or you could lead them into an environmental hazard or lead them past a certain part where you could shoot them than make them walk past it
there would be some resource management with ammo and guns and hp but it wouldn't be the primary focus of the game
an extra layer of complexity could be some friendly NPCs that you command to move around the map
for instance for some things to work you might need to lure some enemies while an npc triggers something elsewhere
the tricky thing being that some enemies would also aggro to NPCs and they can die and not respawn and you take these NPCs with you across levels and have full control over there gear
The point of the level would be to get to the end which would probably require to explore all of it to get various items to open doors and other pathways
the focus of the gameplay would be on spatial awareness so no map you need to keep track of where you are and where you need to go on your own
and the levels would be designed in a very central way so that every corridor in the level remains relevant throughout the level so a very nonlinear design
also note i haven't said anything about the story or the setting which i personally don't think is as important as gameplay
anyway i thought it was a pretty cool idea and might actually try to make it

That sounds like a horrible hodgepodge of very different game ideas that would end up annoying the player a lot

If anything the only way you could make this interesting is with a good story that connects the different levels or with really good architecture and setting, but you don't seem to care about that.

Judge for your self.
In pic related, "Our filter" is the new real-time spatiotemporal denoising filter applied to a one sample-per-pixel render.
"Reference" is Ground Truth- an image rendered with millions of samples (which if you aren't aware takes time on the scale of days on consumer graphics hardware to render).
You can see the glass is a bit blurrier compared to Ground Truth, but given the performance trade-off it's more than worth it.

well yeah kinda the quality of the game would be determined almost entirely by the quality of the level design
and they would be very complicated levels to design
and obviously you would need some kind of story to connect the levels and create some context but i don't think it has to carry the game at all

This won't work with distant scenes. Since it only renders 1 sample per pixel, you'll end up with very blurry distant scenes, no matter how great a noise algorithm is.

No, it does work with distant scenes, for several reasons.
Most importantly, the denoising algorithm utilizes a G-buffer, which provides the algorithm with the rendered geometry free of noise.
If you aren't familiar with what a G-buffer is, see here:
learnopengl.com/#!Advanced-Lighting/Deferred-Shading

The algorithm is also spatiotemporal. Particularly the temporal part gives it a lot more data (the past several rendered frames) to work with than one sample-per-pixel suggests.

cg.ivd.kit.edu/publications/2017/svgf/svgf_preprint.pdf
If you read the section in the paper titled "Limitations", you'll find there are indeed issues with blurriness in certain cases, but they have nothing to do with the distance of objects, but rather have more have to do with things like fast-moving objects, extreme low-light conditions, and specular reflections due to the nature of the algorithm and and where noise tends to show up in raytraced, low-sample renderings.

What's most interesting, I think, is that this technique actually adds more demand for a whole lot more computational power.
Current GPU don't really need to improve as doubling polycount or texture resolution barely makes any difference; and most people don't really care for 4K or >60fps.

the dark green is meant to be a forest

how do i make it not look as shit as it does

The other thing that will really push graphics hardware another notch up is VR/AR ([email protected]/* */ minimum), but I don't think VR will ever catch on, rather AR headsets that have the full functionality of a smartphone stuffed in them might catch on, then VR would also become a thing as a side-effect of that.
Or maybe VR headsets will eventually become so cheap that people will buy them just for shits and giggles, or as a "portable/inexpensive TV/movie theater" of sorts.

You'd be surprised how much a pattern can do
I'd make the pattern smaller tbh, but I've got a fever and cannot be fucked

10/10.
Also note, that Otoy already released a path tracing implementation in Unity based on their Brigade engine, and are planning to release Brigade4 sometime in the next few years which can do realtime path tracing without this hack. Considering how quickly Brigade3 converges to almost noiseless visuals, I don't entirely doubt them, although this is running on two original titan cards.

It could possibly act as an optimisation to get from .5 second rendertimes to 30 fps or something given a better pathtracer as a base. And perhaps that'd also fix the terrible reflections.

Add some stumps to the south-facing sides. Also, forests tend to have some clearings, so add one or two of those to some of your forests.

Also adding some depth to make it seem like it's raised could be a good idea, you can do it easily with the drop shadow in photoshop

Who of you guys actually gives a damn about writing and how do you go about practicing? I started to read a lot of different books. On the one hand I hope that this will help me from a stylistic perspective and on the other hand I'm educating myself about subjects that are important but I don't know a lot about.

Make a shitty prototype and see if your idea is actually fun. Lot's of thing sound great on paper but turn out shit when you actually put them to the test. The opposite also happens.

shit out as much as you can of the stuff you know about and then move to new frontiers
to get to quality you gotta do quantity

Just, like, write.
Write about your character's history. Write about their motivations. Write a short scenario about them. Write a scene you're excited about in-game and put it in text format.
You practice writing the same way you would any other skill, by doing it again and again and again until you get sick of it.

Not exactly vidya, but there's Nanowrimo in November, and they have a forum where you can probably get feedback from other writers. Can't say I have any experience with this myself, but you can probably check it out.

Babies first progress.

Yeah, I was doing 6-sided strips to avoid loading one by one.
I will try, thanks m8.

Read a lot, learn the basic rules (don't tell, show), listen to videos by some writers you like about writing (they all give good tips).

Also, learn that creativity is a skill that can and should be trained like all other skills. Make a notepad for your ideas, even ideas you won't use, and keep writing them down and evolving them. Stories, characters, dialogues, etc…

Use brushes.

Thanks for the advice, but I think I shouldn't have been so lazy and asked something more specific:
How do you practice writing for games specifically? I ask because a good novel doesn't necessarily translate to a good game and vice versa. Games have gameplay which has massive pacing implications. And then there's the nonlinearity aspect you have to deal with. Then you have what one user already mentioned: show, don't tell.
You can also point me to games you quite liked (although I would appreciate if you would at least give a short reason for why you did).

I know what you mean, but creativity really isn't the correct term, as it isn't a skill you can learn, but a trait you either have or not.

I've got little experience with writing for games outside of writing porn dialogue BUT, I think a good training is to sketch up branching paths and then develop each in actual dialogue.

Also there's the important fact good writing for games is completely different from good writing in both novels and movies. While novel and movies usually shine because they have a very centric and linear story, writing in games usually shines because of attention to detail, a fleshed out universe, believable places and situations not to mention the whole lore stuff.

I mean, of course games will also have a central story, but it's largely the least important part unless you're someone like Kojima or Fukushima. (and even they spent a sizeable chunk of time developing the universe their stories take place in).

Maybe try to write your own universe, start with small events and see if you can create something interesting from there.

Great example of universe development: Fallout, FF12 and all the FF games set in Ivalice, Team Fortress 2 (mostly through the comics), Dark Souls, Bloodborne.

Also if you do try this don't fall in the pitfall of MMO writing, where it's just walls of text nobody cares about.

At this point, there isn't a tried and true form of telling stories in games. In my personal taste, games that use the gameplay to convey the story (Don't show, play) are unique experiences that set games apart from movies or books, while branching stories do not. I would say Half Life 2 has a few moments like this, Portal as well and others.
But I do enjoy quite a few stories in games that are told more or less like a movie/book of sorts, but are good enough and minimalist enough not to take away from the game experience. Less is more, I guess.

I don't think so, some people do take forever to figure it out, but its not something that doesn't exist in all beings capable of abstract thinking.

Which variable types should I use to hold information about player input in Unity and why? Currently I put stuff like horizontal and vertical movement axes into Vector3 and mouse movement into Vector2 but I'm not sure what to do with input from key presses like jump button or use button.

Should I put them into bool, int or maybe float? There was an user some time ago that said you shouldn't use bool when doing this but I don't remember reason why.

I started listening to Jordan B. Peterson's psychology lectures for two reasons. Firstly to get my own life back in order, and he's in an ideal position to give advice given how he has over two decades of experience with people whose lives were fucked up — sometimes beyond belief — and helping them get their act together.
Secondly because I want to start an independent game studio of my own and I believe having an understanding of human behavior is extremely useful when running a business, especially in an environment as hostile as the games industry. I've been listening to his stuff and from what I've heard so far the data is pretty clear on what creativity is and isn't. It's not something you can learn and it's especially not something everyone has. It's actually quite rare and that's a good thing, because creativity isn't a purely positive personality trait. It has profound positive and negative implications for those people.

Those are really nice brushes too.

What Peterson and other race/IQ realists talk about is the top 1%, the savant geniuses of the world, and those indeed are very rare and unique. But that data doesn't highlight the average individual unused potential which can and should be explored. From my experience with other artists growing up, and even as a tabletop RPG master, everyone can improve creativity quite a lot to the point they produce enjoyable content, unless they have some sort of mental issue. But that doesn't mean they can achieve as much as someone who is uniquely gifted.

Use floats for axis input. Then you can just normalise them and multiply by player speed. Use bools for binary input but have the ability to get both down and pressed states. Down is just if the button is down, pressed is the first frame the button is pressed down. You'll use the latter for things like UI manipulation or single trigger actions.

As a rule, you should never assume you're "talented" or "gifted" and you also shouldn't let it discourage you either. But yes, I definitely agree creativity is something most people can train. Or at least what other people perceive as creative.
For instance, when I try to come up with a design, for a character as an example, I first figure out what I want them to convey. Then I come up with elements I personally find cool and think would fit. I guess the best way to describe it is that's it's like a mental puzzle of finding different things that feel like they'd work well together. I sure as hell wasn't any good at it when I was a kid, but after a few years of drawing fanart and meddling with it I'm getting better.

It's all derivative, but so is almost everything else we deal with. In the end it's the combination and the amount of different influences that makes it original. How much of it is unconscious I can't say, but I think as long as you have a good pool of things to take inspiration from you're good.

I disagree tbh, you can't train at being creative. Some people just are more creative than others, like some people are better at maths.

It's mostly related to how you were raised up, you can't really develop creativity once you're an adult.

Why are, for example, two floats preferable to Vector2?
I can multiply it or normalize it and I'd have one variable instead of two. Is there a disadvantage to using Vector2 or Vector3?

I actually already made a function that determines those various press states.

My problem is mostly that I know "how" to do something but I don't have knowledge "why" choose one possible option over another.

You might as well store your axes in different floats because you might need them for something else.

In my situation the camera behaves differently if the horizontal axis is over or lower a set number, but I don't need the same happening with the vertical axis.
Depends on the game, but there's really no reason why you shouldn't do it.

I've just started writing in the last year or so, but I'll tell you my experience so far. It's an armature's perspective, and a very esoteric "draw the rest of the owl" approach, but you may find it interesting. There may be limitations to this method that I haven't found yet, but it's just what I've gotten to work for me.

So far, I'm seeing success by approaching writing in the same way that I approach music. I don't actually know much music theory, but am somehow able to reverse engineer the creation of a song by starting from my understanding of the core emotion as I experience it. Because my goal then is to get the audience to feel that emotion, the music comes naturally as I build upon what feels "right" by iterating through possible note/chord combinations that could evoke the proper emotion, which I know through experience. In the case of music, this is done by creating order, and the variations that break the pattern therein create the emotions. Eventually, I arrive at a song that is the most accurate portrayal of the emotion that I wished to express that I'm capable of achieving at that time.

Likewise, a story isn't an arbitrary series of events. Stories only exist because, on some level, we think of the characters as people, whom we empathize with, and we empathize with them because we've already experienced the emotions that the particular series of events that they're going through would bring. They have a structure to their life, and events alter it, which brings about emotion. If my goal is to touch my audience emotionally, then I start with the emotion that I want them to feel, and ask myself what sorts of events cause that emotion. Alternatively, if the goal of the story is to express a particular thought, I might ask myself how that thought makes me feel, and identify the correct emotion(s) to work with from there. The events which cause it are up to you, and you can draw (and should) from your own personal experiences, but the general circumstances that work are timeless, and can be seen in a series of recurring events throughout mythologies worldwide.

With this established, the only sensible kind of characters to make aren't random cool people that I decided existed, but conduits for the emotions meant for the audience, and who and what they are is informed first and foremost by how I think certain emotions would affect a particular kind of person. Their visual design is then informed by their identity, which can then be made cool if desired. If the goal is to express a particular thought or philosophy, the characters are more likely to be expressions of concepts themselves, and the way they interact with each other or handle events is informed by their core philosophy, and how those philosophies would interact with each other. Of course, it'd be easy to get stuck writing characters who are boring because they're just the perfect manifestation of a concept, but since they're a person, you can explore the concept as it would express within a particular type of person, in different stages of development, or in different stages of mental/emotional development on the part of the individual. The character's design and personality either exists to make them relatable so when the emotion hits them, the player can empathize, or to make the concept that they represent recognizable and relatable, so the player can understand it as it relates to them when it becomes relevant.

Everything else is handled in the same way. The setting exists first and foremost to allow the characters to have the interactions that lead to the emotions or expression of ideas. Everything that actually exists within it is secondary, and mostly up to what you think is cool, but it should always be consistent with the idea/emotion you're trying to express. A very simple example would be Mega Man Classic. Even though the story is still very much a background element by that point in the series, the characters and setting all spawn naturally from a very basic set of core philosophical questions, and all the events are set up to have the player reflect on them.

Roughly speaking, you could say that the broader goal is to get the player to experience Meaning, vid related.

I'm convinced that, although creativity (the Openness psychometric, anyway) may be genetic, there are things we don't know about it that affect whether or not it can be expressed, and in what ways it can be expressed, which could potentially be learned. Anecdotally, despite having been involved in music for most of my life, despite repeatedly trying, I had never produced an original piece of music until 2012, when I began spontaneously and regularly hearing original music in my head, with seemingly nothing causing it.

We're not talking about the same thing then and Peterson isn't talking about the 1% either. Sure, technically you can take it to the extremes and merely look at the top 1% and say everyone who isn't them isn't creative, but that's not a useful analysis. These personality traits are normal distributions, so what you do is you say everyone who is sufficiently above average (you need to include a reasonable margin of error) is creative.
That is not to say that uncreative people can't do some creative things some of the time, but that doesn't make them creative. It's the same thing with unintelligent people. Being unintelligent doesn't mean that they never will have intelligent thoughts. But there's a world's difference between an uncreative person who has to put in a lot of effort to think outside of the box and an actually creative one for whom it's a natural mode of being.

That most people aren't using anything that's close to their potential is something I wholeheartedly agree with. Also that it's well worth everyone's time to work on that. Correction: "well worth" is quite the understatement, because what greater thing could you possibly hope for than people to get off their asses, stop being useless and instead do something with their lives?
The skills required to put your creativity into use are a different thing altogether. Being creative doesn't mean you can draw (for example). Drawing involves a lot of motor skills you need to practice first. Chances are that the people you worked with already were somewhat creative to begin with, they just didn't do anything with that potential. There are various reasons for that, laziness is one and another one is that they simply weren't aware because they never tried. I'm pretty sure you met at least one person in your life, of whom you think that he has so much potential, but let's it go to waste.
There's this nice quote in German:
or
God only know what people would be like, if they tried to find out what they're truly capable of.

I don't think that's really true. I think most people can learn anything if they really wanted to. It probably boils down to whether you enjoy it or not, that might be influenced by your upbringing.
Take artists for instance. Almost every child draws, but most of them stop once they grow a sense of aesthetics and realize their own drawings suck. The ones that keep drawing keep improving and often end up turning it into a hobby or career. Yet there's artists who start drawing seriously late into their life because they "discovered" it (or rather rediscovered). A lot of this stuff is probably innate in most people.

Thank you. So far i tracked all .uasset files with LFS, but i was already expecting that i'll have to open a new repo so the history doesn't eternally weigh things down.

Why is that, does UE handle that stuff gracefully, does it autodownload everything that you might need based on the .uproject file? My gitignore right now looks like yours up until line 14.

What's the benefit of this? Somewhat correct global illumination, that's about it. I think this is more a novel field of academia than anything with real application in games, at least for the foreseeable future. Modern PBR engines looks very good already, the smoke-and-mirrors way of doing things is simply much more effective. It's not like raytracing renderers eliminate scene complexity from the equation, so a raytracing engine will always be able to do much less than a conventional one, with the same hardware. This is the 80-20 rule in full effect, you have to spend so much more power on so little benefit, plus you get a whole lot of new issues.

For normal pathtracing? Not "somewhat correct" global illumination, but actually correct GI, physically correct shadows, actual reflections that reflect every object instead of reflecting cubemaps only, actual refraction, physically correct caustics on refractions, physically correct translucency and beer's law simulation, and probably more I can't think of at the moment.
As for scene complexity, it's a wholly different beast. For rasterisation (conventional rendering), you have to figure out which polygons are in the view frustrum, see which ones face you, and then draw all of them as long as their current pixel is closer than the same pixel in your depth buffer. For a ray, you check a few sections of your BVH, most of which will be empty in a lot of cases until you get to the volume where you're going to hit, then check collision against a few triangles. Doesn't matter if you have 10 triangles or 10 million. The same hardware has always been able to have more complex scenes for pathtracing, but no one's working on improving that as they're busy trying to improve the amount of rays instead.
And note, current hardware is specifically geared to rasterisation. You're effectively saying racing is not viable compared to warface because all you have is tanks, while a formula1 car would flip your perception upside down. Of course no one is going to release pathtracing-specific hardware for the foreseeable future, because they can still milk tons of money out of consumers this way and then do it all over again with pathtracing GPUs.

the shading should be following wherever the light is coming from to give it a nice form
just added a few things to make it a bit more interesting

there's always a lot to be learned from breakdowns of professional works, not just limited to video games

youtube.com/watch?v=JZux7syGB8E

The lean exists to give weight to turning but is bugged when walking perpendicular to the camera, makes him looks like he's walking on a tightrope. By "mock-up" I meant that I'm going to delete all the progress I've made on the terrain/distant scenery to do it again, but this time I've got the luxury of knowing what the shaders and models look like when laid out like that. Different ID because I'm posting from phone.

Do my HDR skydomes look like this because my DX10 GPU can't render them or am I done fucking up something?

Be sure to play a lot of games in your attempt to write for them. The reason for this is you need to feel the pacing of the game you're trying to make. Good example is an RPG I'm working on, and the core of the gameplay is around classic JRPG hubs where the player is given a somewhat open world to gain XP and money to buy nice equipment before moving on to the next story beat. Knowing this was my basic gameplay loop I've been careful to construct the story and world around that, building the hubs into my setting and giving players reason to have downtime to mess with hubs. I would have never thought to do this has I not played several JRPGs as I was building the engine, and that common gameplay loop was very inspiring.

A big part of any art is building within limitations and the limitations of the game you're trying to make are a great place to start out in writing for a game.

lookin good

Habits are fucking insane, I was supposed to do nothing but relax today and somehow still clocked about three hours of work
also cleaned my desk and didn't masturbate today, there are a few hour left but I'm not going to debug the machine with my family watching

If I know what you mean?

Daily Reminder to add pink mouths to gondolas

So, this is something that I've spent a lot of time studying and thinking about as I've gone about game development.

One thing I've observed is that, if you spend some time here and there thinking of ideas for a story for your game as you work on it, you'll probably come up with a number of different game concepts and stories before you ever even get around to implementing said story for the game you are actually working on.
Which is to say, if you're in the mood for thinking about story, go right ahead, but generally speaking there's a lot of other things that have to be in-place for your game before your story will ever actually begin to take shape/be implemented in your game.
Just take tons and tons of notes with the mindset that a lot of those ideas and notes may get thrown out later in favor of better ideas you come up with, but to record everything so you can review it later.

Storytelling in books, radio, movies, and games are all different.
Games in particular are unique because they can respond to user input, and allow the player to go wherever he wishes (to an extent).
In my opinion, the best dialogue you will find in games are bits of dialogue that change just a little bit in response to little quirks in the player's status or actions, lots of small branches that leave the player experimenting with different things to try and get a response out of the NPC.
Major branches that change NPC movement/story flow must be limited in number and scope, or else you will quickly end up with more work than you can handle.

As many games involve exploring a space, one excellent approach to storytelling is world narrative.
Take a crime scene for example.
You have the dead body, a knife stuck in him, some blood on the wall.
Without using a single word of narrative or dialogue, that crime scene tells a story.

Finally, I personally find that approaching a game story from the process of world-building can be very helpful.
As games tell a lot through their visuals and use lots of music and sound effects, a lot of the work put into world-building does not go to waste- you often end up drawing/modeling the castle, creating in art the various characters, even oftentimes producing a soundscape for 3D titles that gives the environment a unique ring.

I guess those are my tips.
It's definitely a lot of fun thinking about storytelling for a game, so I definitely wouldn't discourage you from doing it.
Just keep in mind that, in the game development process, the gameplay comes first.
You can brainstorm story stuff whenever you feel like it, but you'll need the gameplay to be in decent shape before you ever begin really implementing that story in your game.

we gettin there

It's not, I'm just not using it. Basically I started with the first person C++ example and implemented my own. I didn't use theirs as basis, but rather made my own and only peeked into their code for reference. Those folders don't exist in my Content folder anymore. I just let them in there for testing purposes and phased them out one by one as I created my own solutions. The art assets I wanted to keep like textures and materials were merged into the main directory structure. So I moved shit from "StarterContent/Materials" to "Materials".
(checked)
As far as I know they also scale differently. RT and PT have a much higher initial cost, but scale up very well in terms of complexity (if we assume #triangles = complexity). Rasterizers have a low upfront cost, but scale a lot worse. And then there's transparency which is really expensive for both (assuming modern, deferred rasterizer), but more so with RT and PT. Everyone who tried to render an image that contains glass spheres using an unbiased renderer knows how the the time required to get a reasonable outcome just explodes the moment you introduce them.

The fuck kinda forum are you going to, user?

How do you guys make maps? I've got a workflow of Valve Hammer -> VMFtoSMD -> Blender -> Resize and Texture -> Godot and it's kind of a pain. The only reason I do it this way is it's difficult to make CAD-style geometry in Blender, and time-consuming to UV unwrap it.

Wait you have no planning stage?

I have yet to work on maps, but surely the best way would be to plan it out using basic shaped in the editor of your engine and then make it into an actual model once you like it

Also to actually answer your question :
Modo has an excellent workflow for quick cad styled modeling, it also has pretty quick uv unwrapping methods, maybe you'd want to check that out

is there any audience whatsoever for "erotic" content, as opposed to straight up porn?

just make the ground and use the solidify modifier on buildings, then use the boolean modifier to hole my way through interiors and decorate afterwards
is a shame blender can't export objects groups directly, but a have a workaround in which i parent all the instances of the same object to a single object then in engine i use the ready function to replace them with the desired object

>>>/hgg/
Is probably a better place to ask this.
I'd say no though. You can have a good game have erotic undertones, but I don't think you can center one around eroticism

to clarify, when i said to solidify the buildings i meant from the ground up not the individual walls, we all know that shit is buggy

>>>/hgg/
didn't know that, looks pretty active, thanks

yes
dead or alive volleyball for instance or the other one where you play minigames and unlock costumes

ok the main problem now im having is with the tile sheet

i cant figure out a way to make the tiles and have it so everything matches up

If you are doing cad-like, why not use something like sketchup?

You clearly need 10k upboats or something. And since it's questions, it's probably stack overflow or some engine-specific question thing.

Why are you doing the trunks separate from the leaves?

Some progress on blocking and shields

so
i have to build a simple 2D platformer in java
What's the best way to create levels and load them?
The tutorial I'm following uses .pngs of the levels, reads the hex color for every pixel, adds them to a TileMap and then renders them
Is this a good way to do it?

The best way is to make a level editor and export into a custom format.

you fucking wish
If you have win10 and fast boot enabled you cannot boot from usb/dvd, even if you disable the HDD from the bios and/or put the usb/dvd at the top of the boot list

Planning things out instead of doing them is a nodev procrastination tactic.

Did you manage to fix the movement?

I've read up on custom movement components, but i didn't write a custom one yet, mainly because i don't really know what's wrong about the current one yet. I think i'll do other features first and wait with it until i have my own walking and sprinting animations.

Why is UE4 documentation so shit? There is like zero examples anywhere for fucking anything. If anyone can help I'd love you forever:

answers.unrealengine.com/questions/698636/understanding-pathfollowingcomponent.html

I want your fucking soundtrack

That's the main problem with using Unreal unfortunately, fuckall support

Oh yeah, isn't this an Unreal mod? What made you decide to stick with a mod instead of using an engine like Unity?

If code is just machine processed literature why can't I put DRM on my books yet?

In other news HK project isn't dead

hk-devblog.com/

The key to DRM is in the machine processing, not the literature.

Is root motion applied constantly or is the position of a character updated depending on the position of its legs?

Or is that just IK animation?

I think it would help me for when I want to start moving self-made assets to Unreal 3 or 4 for Android. I want a "freeware" (with UGold of course) and a paid version of my game. Also Unrealscript is fun, it is teaching my left-hand calculus sorta.

I believe it gets the movement of the root bone only, and applies as force to the character's capsule movement.

Aight, thanks

Might try my hand with IK once I get the new animations

Using C++ in UE4, is there any particular reason I'd want to use a TArray over a vector?

Does anyone have that old /agdg/ pasta with all of the gamedev resources? The thread on /agdg/ doesn't have the ones I'm looking for.

Because TArray works with their reflection system. So you can make the data accessible from within the editor and won't run into any GC shenanigans.

oh no

It's nice to see bodies like mine finally getting representation in video games :^)

for those of you making shooters, here is a video of a guy hunting rats with an airsoft, please take note of the twitching and add it to your games

You mean the twitching of dead rats or hunter's hand? If the former then this has been in vidya for years now.

Additionally to what the other user said, at least i run into this issue when using anything but TArrays of UEs smart pointers, that is C primitive arrays, TStaticArray, C++ vectors and so on.

how do i make a neural network in jewnity?

right click in assets window -> new C# script -> do neural network

New bread has been baked