Ideal Monitors

When it comes to PC gayming, what monitor set up provides the objectively best experience? Ultra wide? Triples? Quintuples? Maybe even seventuples?

For the purposes of this thread, price and the computer's processing power are not factors to be taken into account, think solely of the damn screens and how it feels like.

Other urls found in this thread:

logicalincrements.com/monitors
blurbusters.com/4k-120hz-with-bonus-240hz-and-480hz-modes/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

sony gdm fw-900 or late run iiyama or viewsonics. diamondtrons are good too.

One single 16:9 monitor.

Any other monitor is going to distract you, and using multiple monitors is going to fuck your view unless you somehow manage to obtain completely borderless monitors. Ultrawides are only ok for certain kinds of games, same goes for muh 4:3.

nothing says "certain kinds of games" like every game up to 2005, 16:9 is trash for modern shit only. enjoy your pillar boxing when you actually want to play a good game.

Ultrawides and 4:3 are extremes for specific games and are not compatible with each other in the slightest. 16:9 is the best single monitor choice unless you want to invest into multiple monitors that you switch between different games.

What a strange way of saying 16:10

Your game should never take more than 1 monitor, but 2 are ideal for having other shit open while playing games.

Isn't 16:10 a misnomer? Don't you mean 8:5?

I have a 16:9 and a 5:4. When browsing the web, programming, or otherwise general use, the 5:4 is rotated vertically. When I need to watch a movie or play a widescreen game, I turn off the 5:4 and use the 16:9. When Im playing a good game, watching old tv shows, etc, I rotate the 5:4 and turn off the 16:9. You dont need anything higher resolution than 1080p, that shit is a scam
I would much rather have a 4:3 and a 16:10, but that would make prices incredibly high, and the quality wouldn't be much better

Better than letterboxing.

like clockwork

logicalincrements.com/monitors

They're always doubting themselves over how much money they spent, so they're stuck in this perpetual loop of post-purchase rationalization where they feel the need to justify their purchase in any thread vaguely related to monitors, old consoles, or emulation. The best part is that they'll claim that they found some ultra-rare studio grade monitor on craigslist for $20, when really they paid full price on ebay.

So you want the best possible monitor?
I can describe one that doesn't exist although all of the tech that would go into it does exist but would make a screen that's too expensive to be viable.
All the while having the usually desirable things like the best refresh rate, resolution, pixel response time, processing latency, contrast, color bit depth, non-reflective glass screen possible.
That would be a damn fine monitor.

Do what works for you.
My sweetspot is 2 1080p/75hz monitors
Higher than 60 so I feel futuristic but not too high a refresh rate that my videocard is incapable of hitting (rx480)

Speaking of 75hz…
Anons remember that a huge part of modern monitors support refresh rates over 60 but don't ship with modes that enable those refresh rates because of some stupid standard fuckery. In the end this standard fuckery ends up coming down to a company's desire do innovate vs not giving a shit because only 1/1000 consumers know what they're doing and will make use of it. So some companies will pump out a monitor that secretely can do 85hz or something while others will pump out a panel that can only do 62hz and that's mainly because of manufacturing tolerances.
Look into your monitor's specs and see if you can find something that says "vertical refresh rate range" or similar (it can differ a lot by marketing lingo).

For instance in the manual and the box my monitor came in there's a line that says "VertRefresh 50-76". That means it can do any refresh rate between 50hz and 76hz. I have to create a custom resolution with the nvidia drivers so I can set the refresh rate above 60hz though, because the EDID only advertises to the graphics card display modes up to 60hz. I created a custom 76hz res and it works flawlessly, I also created a 72hz one so I can play 24/23.976hz video without stuttering.
It's a higher refresh rate for free if you can have it and you should definitely try.

I use ultrawide. I don't recommend it as not enough games actually makes use of it. I'd have gotten a 4k if I had the funds at the time. This thing is only good for work and watching movies with the proper aspect ratio.

That said, those few games that do officially support it tends to look like sex. SEX, JERRY.

CRT master god-race

Big _4:3 LCD and whatever cheap CRT you can find. widescreen was a mistake

They probably buy a shitton of physical games they never play too. CRT's are nice but there's no point in overspending on a super high resolution one if you're just going to be playing DOS games at 320x200.

Human vision is a rectangle tho.

Tried that, mine said I had a 72 vert or 83 horiz refresh rate, made a custom res with the rate and it just came up as "out of range" and anything other than 60 aint working. so someone's lying about something

Maybe the pixel clock is too high. For instance my monitor can only do 172mhz pixel clock and that's not enough for 76hz without custom porch/blanking settings that go even lower than reduced blanking.
Try making a reduced blanking mode at a refresh rate above 60hz that still nets you a pixel clock lower than 60hz and see what happens.

So is 4:3, and that's why it looks square to us. I can't find the chart again, but supposedly it falls right in the most natural/comfortable part of our eyes. That makes it better for things where you look at the whole screen at once, like vidya or working with a bunch of windows.

If you're aiming to maximize your performance then one of those new 4k high refresh rate monitors that are coming out.

blurbusters.com/4k-120hz-with-bonus-240hz-and-480hz-modes/

If you're not hell bent on competitive gaming and are going for a "so beautiful it'll make you cry" experience then a Sony VPL-VW365ES 4k projector in a dedicated room. Guaranteed nothing will touch the picture quality and overall immersive experience of that when properly setup, not even oled.

If you're even entertaining the idea of more than 3 monitors then immersion is already one of your main priorities. So you might as well just go with a projector.

>>>/a/