Dusk

Oh boy, 70's retro old-school third-person shooters rocketjumping Quack and Doom and all those other buzzwords. Here we supposedly have some actual level design, fast movement, and gore. Every retro JewTuber seems to be shitting their pants about it, but they can't be trusted.

Meanwhile shit's up for pre-orders, and if you do pre-order you get access to the first episode and about eleven levels or so. Did anyone manage to find a link to that?

Other urls found in this thread:

steamcommunity.com/app/519860/discussions/0/2579854400736801534/
mega.nz/#!bopDCTza!6PIpA_VFgutJPv3KbhHF12NktCPOOttWiX9OSl1VPiY
volafile.org/get/d5UvGlJd4pPz/Quake complete repack with music.rar
volafile.org/get/d5WrE1WUTLSA/Ultimate DOOM (GOG).7z
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

What now? That sounds like paying for a shareware demo.

This is what Strafe should've been.

Well, it can't be worse than Strafe was, although IIRC it's a Unity game.

Few things I'm noticing is the pace seems a bit too slow and on the exploration side and the soundtrack isn't really doing much for me. It's sort of reminding me of Redneck Rampage and Blood in design. Pretty jank you can see parts of the level in the skybox, the game seems designed partially around jumping around after all.

fuck off shill

This actually looks quite fast and fun, but there is so much downtime, and I don't know if that's the result of it being unfinished. If only the goddamn demo was free like it should be. Strafe was a huge disappointment. And Devil Daggers is the only game in the last few years to properly honor Quack, it'd be nice to have another one.

nothing says "honoring quake" like being a horde shooter, something that was never even in quake. the two are nothing alike.

Well, in style only.

lmao fuck off

You don't honor something by emulating it.

Looks like shit (compared to Doom and especially Quake) despite having pretty high requirements (thanks, Unity). Enemies are boring and the gunplay feels pathetic. No modding suppport.

All I want to do is mod the enemies into niggers

yeah, you just have nothing in common except le retro style gwaficks, right, my fellow redditor :^)

looks pretty shit. The level design is less detailed than the first Doom and it just looks ugly.

That explains the retarded system requirements for the graphics.

No thank you. I'll never understand nostalgia for overly simple games like Doom and Quake. Why not make a proper spiritual sequel to something like X-COM, MoM, HoMM3, or System Shock 1?

I appreciate the intention but fads like this will turn to shit really really fast. Look at the remastering/old-school RPG shit that has been going on.

I've been interested in this for a while. It looks cool. I was late to gaming and wasn't around when Doom and Quake dropped, so I never really got into them as much as everyone else so I'm gonna play this when it comes out and maybe it'll kindle a bigger interest in this kind of game. Hopefully it's gud.

Superbunnyhop got me onto Desync and tbh I had more fun than expected. Not sure I can stomach more "shooting badguys pointlessly" after S+ing Desync levels.

When will the meme of copying Quake stop?

Didn't they say that they will have mod support?

Yes
steamcommunity.com/app/519860/discussions/0/2579854400736801534/

Well that's a pleasant surprise. You wouldn't expect these sorts of devs to have even heard of Trenchbroom, let alone to actually use it.

what the fuck do you think Quake is

I bit one for the team and forked over the twenty bucks. I just uploaded it straight out of the box, so I have no idea whether you need a Steam crack to make it work, but if so I didn't include it. Here's the link:
mega.nz/#!bopDCTza!6PIpA_VFgutJPv3KbhHF12NktCPOOttWiX9OSl1VPiY

As for the game, it's alright? It's a bit easy even on the hardest (non-meme) difficulty as there's a shit-ton of health and ammo, but since the levels are balanced around pistol starts (you can opt to start each level with the sickles only by checking a checkbox when starting a game) it's probably unavoidable.

Unfortunately the audio somehow gets fucked up when I try to convert my recordings to a WebM, so no sound for you.

Hey nice, meant to look again to see if a copy showed up.

Just take these
volafile.org/get/d5UvGlJd4pPz/Quake complete repack with music.rar
volafile.org/get/d5WrE1WUTLSA/Ultimate DOOM (GOG).7z

Those secrets look way too obvious.

I actually really want to play this. I didn't play a modern shooter in years because they're all shit. And one thing that I really hated is the low poly art style that had no textures, or super lazy textures. I wanted the grim looking textures that quake had. Even if they were low quality, they had some effort put into them and they looked great as in art style. I'm glad that finally I see a game that put some effort into how the art style looks beyond the low poly/fill color shit. Also, since I see it has no pretentious story, it's probably not poozed either. I wanna play it.

cant find torrents yet

It looks pretty good. Nice to see a game focus on actual levels instead of horde or randomized nonsense. That kind of stuff should just be a bonus/extra mode.

Morale?

I really want a good fps to come out, but I get the feeling I'll be waiting a few more years

I'm complaining about the prompts, not the use key

Besides the shitty art direction (early 3D shooters from the 90s looked way better than this), it actually looks very fun, it seems to be what STRAFE should have been.

Morale = Armor

You look through the video and your complaint is that is had prompts?

I hate low poly graphics

I like the shotgun reloading and Southern US occult setting.

i wanna play quake 2 now

Man that Marathon shotgun reload animation looks janky as fuck with that shotgun model.

It looks more like a low-effort Half-Life mod than it does Quake or Doom.

It has low poly aesthetics but fancy modern lightning why?

For some reason throwing soap deals 9000 damage, because there's a special medal you can get for playing a level entirely using nothing but sickles and throwing shit. And throwing shit is so effective, it's not even funny.

The art style is so inconsistent that it can only be described as lazy

this tbh. Its one thing to go for retro graphics because you like the aesthetic, and another entirely because you don't want to put the effort in. The AI looks like trash and I only saw them try to close distance to the player, and the animations are sub-par.

You can turn off all the fancy modern effects.

It's probably not a case of being lazy, but a case of not being able to do better, because the whole game except for the music and some artwork is being made by a single guy, who kinda fucking sucks at both programming and art. Though that could also be the result of not wanting to put effort in.
The AI is about as smart as Quake's, with slightly better pathfinding.

Isn't that how the AI was in older games too, where they just moved towards you if they were melee and just shuffled around a bit inbetween shots for ranged enemies?

Besides, the art direction is fine. The only problem is the lack of detail that you're probably used to see in similar games (even older ones) where the whole map had tons of colorfull tidbits for ambience, while Dusk doesn't have much in that department, strictly the necessary only.
It's kinda understandable considering it's just one guy working on it, but it's a valid point he can improve on.

Taking doom for example, the enemies do a whole lot more than just that. yea the ranged enemies shuffle around, but I haven't seen even that much in the footage shown in

And even the pinky demons move in more directions than just the player's.

At least Ogres (I think) and Knights (I'm sure) didn't stop moving right when they were about to attack you, here the chainsaw guys stop when they're about to attack which gives you too much room to avoid their attacks. They're still dumb as fuck when you have the high ground and can't even jump or something.

You are correct, Ogres and Knights did attack while running. I thought was talking more about the AI in general. The monsters could use some more varied attack and movement patterns.

You know that Quake very specifically excluded a use key, right?

Monsters in such "older games" as Doom and Quake had very simple behaviours, but also very distinctive behaviours. You understand that simple does not have to mean stupid the way it appears to in this game, surely.

Make your point differently ye fool

They just realized it wasn't really necessary considering the design of the game. If you walk up to a door you obviously want it open, so just have it activate by touch. For secrets just have them activate by being hit, this allows them to be hidden on ceilings and other nooks and crannies, etc. Marathon even did this, since switches could be triggered by being hit, punching all switches was the bread and butter of vidmaster challenges. Bitching over the inclusion of an interact key as some kind of appeal to purity is bullshit, Dusk sees to have items you can pick up, so have a use/interact key is obviously the only way to manage this.

Isn't this clearly a reference to blood though? Like the game called blood. It seems more like that in themes and in level design.

When you die you do see the message 'Press E To LIVE AGAIN'. It's more or less a cross between Blood and Redneck Rampage in terms of themes where you have to rampage through a southern area possessed by demons and such. One key difference between Dusk and Blood is that Blood is more of a hitscan fest, and as such the levels in Blood are more enclosed and tight in nature so you have the ability to actually avoid the hitscan fire. Dusk's level design largely follows an open area -> enclosed area -> open area -> enclosed area structure as you move through a large field filled with enemies firing ultrafast projectiles at you and explore the buildings filled with bulletsponges and whatnot. One problem with this is that in open areas the enemies are nowhere near numerous enough to provide a decent challenge (or have attacks which make them already dangerous enough on their own), and inside most enemies can be solved in one shotgun blast.

Consider how you'd have to dance all around projectiles and attacks from enemies in Quake given their large healthpools which required several super shotgun blasts to deplete. That's rarely really the case in Dusk as you can mostly always backtrack before bulletsponges like Forkmaidens attack you given the large interval and wind-up time of their attacks. Only when it traps you do things in Dusk become a challenge.

Though that's not mentioning the copious amount of resources littered everywhere. Even though I'm playing on Intruder Mode which starts me off with only the sickles each level, I never ran out of shotgun ammo and there was usually plenty for weapons like the assault rifle too. So the only tricky part is the start of each level, but after that it becomes a cool breeze. Though since you can one-hit kill most enemies by just throwing shit at them, it's not that big of a deal anyways.

The weird part is that several levels contain ammo pickups for weapons you can't even find on those levels, not even through secrets. So I find it rather questionable whether these levels were actually designed around pistol starts or if it was just an afterthought added to make the game seem more hardcore because old-school shooters could be played with pistol starts.

Such as? I honetly don't recall any other behaviour different from rushing the player and shuffling about when in range.

Such as? Is giving examples really this hard?

I understand that if you label the AI in this game as stupid and it behaves like it did in previous games, then one can infer other games had stupid AI.
Unless you can explain the differences and why the previous AI was better in detail without being purposely vague.

The fact that every single projectile, even yours, is an actual projectile and not hitscan is pretty great. Blood got seriously annoying sometimes and was a quicksave festival. Loads of rooms with cultists everywhere sometimes shooting you from upper ground where you barely could see them.

I agree that open areas really should have had more enemies. Going from Serious Sam to this is a bit of a disapointment there, but there's some neat interior sections where even with the shotgun, you still must dance around a bit to avoid being hit, but it does show somewhat that the guy needed a better level designer.

Oh, that explains it. I kept thinking I missed things like an Assault Rifle on the 3rd level since I found ammo for it but only got said weapon on the fourth level.

Nevermind what I just said, I did find the weapons for the respective ammo type later on in the level I was playing. There should be an assault rifle in level 3, and a secret one in level two as well.

I guess I'll try it again later on and search for secrets, I feel that only on a second playthrough can you analyse the level design of a game.

The mines section however was a bitch, not because it was that confusing but because FUCKING FLASHLIGHT!
Why do games do this shit where your flashlight is just a small circle in the center of the screen and whenever you need it, all around you it's pitchblack? You get like 20% of the screen actually giving you info about what's around you, and that's if you don't have a small obstacle directly in front of you obstructing the light.

Is it really that much to ask for larger flashlights? About twice the size of the current one would do it quite well while still giving the idea of darkness. And if it's balancing reasons, then there are some details that can be put in, like in L4D where having the flashlight on atracted zombies from further away.

what the fuck are you smoking, retard?